• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anustart

I wasn't a fan of Monaco, it's interesting in theory, but it just didn't play very well to me, and the visual style wasn't to my liking either but for $1.34 I say it's worth checking out to see if you like it with it being that cheap.

s5uQh2z.gif

To each his own though :)

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I can't say I'm liking the new sales format much. The community vote is an improvement but I much prefered the more frequent flash deal rotation. I suppose it won't be so bad if they don't list lots of repeat offers but I won't hold my breath. As for my spending, I haven't bought anything yet but I've got plenty on my wishlist so here's hoping some of them hit the 66%+ off mark.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
As the user said above, I aim with the left, which is also cutting.

You can flip that in the options. Type C/D will rotate the sticks and some other button configs IIRC.

Go into VR and enter blade mode. It takes a few attempts but once you know "this stick does the aiming, this stick does the 'slicing'" you'll be ready for the final boss and some of the cutting segments that require more precision.

Also, heads up for those who want some cheap +1's or are interested in the games, the Groupees Meridian4 10th Anniversary Bundle is over in a day.

Pick and choose from 45 games (includes +2 bonus games per purchase).
Minimum purchase 3 games at $0.99.
Discounted more for 8 for $2.11, 12 for $2.97, 20 for $4.95, all for $9.95, etc.

Lomax

Didn't flash sales used to be 4 games instead of 6?

Vaguely remember it being 4 games every 8 hours so still 12 games per day.

It's changed several times over the years but last summer there were 4 flash games and 4 community vote games every 8 hours, so 24 total deals of that type every day. Granted, there were some repeats, so perhaps this time Valve has a no repeat plan based on the idea that sales are harder to miss now.

Again though, the bigger point is there are now more than twice as many games on the Steam store as there was this time last year, and yet they are doing fewer special deals. So in terms of "chance to be a daily" the odds for lesser known games are much much smaller than ever before. Games like Long Live the Queen, Cook, Serve, Delicious, and other indies that got huge boosts by getting to be flash or dailies will have a much harder time getting that exposure now. And a bunch of those devs just donated 100 games for Valve to use in their auction, which made Valve a ton of money. For all the hyperbole in the past about "steam sales getting worse," this is the first time that's objectively been true.

cicero

This is when the tragedy of Valve's remake of the Iron Curtain for Russia truly takes shape and is felt by the innocent who are the real victims in this Steam Cold War. When you see deals like Defense Grid 2 66% off or that really noteworthy 33% off on Broforce and you repeatedly ask yourself the question: WWMRSD? What Would My Russian Seller Do?

To Gabe Newell, my White Whale: Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell’s heart I stab at thee; for hate’s sake I spit my last breath at thee. Sink all coffins and all hearses to one common pool! and since neither can be mine, let me then tow to pieces, while still chasing thee, though tied to thee, thou damned whale! Thus, I give up the spear!

It's okay I bought both games as well, and I already own them on the PS3 ;P I tend to buy games twice..guess I like achievements. Plus the game should look/play better on PC with a bit of tweaking.

It's actually technically the third time I've bought it now. First at launch for full price. Played to completion. Then I traded it straight up to another GAFer for a copy of Uncharted 2. I bought it again when it hit $20, because I wanted a copy for my collection that wasn't Greatest Hits because as mediocre as I thought the game was, it's still FF. Now I'm picking the PC versions up when they hit low prices like $6.40 because if I ever do decide to replay these mediocre ass games, I might as well play them at their best.

In regards to MGSVGZ.
I feel like I'm missing something, does this game have free camera controls on the right stick using 360 controller? I can only move the camera whilst aiming.

AJ_Wings

Anyone have any impressions of Enemy Front? I'm hoping it gets down to $7.49 eventually like it was on Bundlestars, looks like something I would be into.

header.jpg

Not very good honestly, It's got functional stealth elements and average shooting and not much else going for it. Couldn't bother to finish it.

Reven

Picked up Monaco and FSX tonight. Definitely getting more stuff tomorrow. Probably ETS2, CIV 5 and some Payday 2 DLC. My $50 wallet card from the Best Buy black Friday deal is gonna be put to good use.

C4rter

Anyone have any impressions of Enemy Front? I'm hoping it gets down to $7.49 eventually like it was on Bundlestars, looks like something I would be into.

header.jpg

I had fun with it. If you are into more classic shooters and if you liked the first Medal of Honors and Call of Duties. The start is really slow and boring but the action and missions get better.
And it was cool that it even had a Stealth System.

Flandy

New to steam sales. Civ Beyond Earth seems to be daily. Does that mean Civ 5 is also is daily since it's the same series? Would I be safe to buy it now without it getting any lower?

New to steam sales. Civ Beyond Earth seems to be daily. Does that mean Civ 5 is also is daily since it's the same series? Would I be safe to buy it now without it getting any lower?

That's correct
Not always the case for franchises, but you can see that is says DAILY DEAL with a countdown on the store page for Civ V as well.

cicero

It's changed several times over the years but last summer there were 4 flash games and 4 community vote games every 8 hours, so 24 total deals of that type every day. Granted, there were some repeats, so perhaps this time Valve has a no repeat plan based on the idea that sales are harder to miss now.

Again though, the bigger point is there are now more than twice as many games on the Steam store as there was this time last year, and yet they are doing fewer special deals. So in terms of "chance to be a daily" the odds for lesser known games are much much smaller than ever before. Games like Long Live the Queen, Cook, Serve, Delicious, and other indies that got huge boosts by getting to be flash or dailies will have a much harder time getting that exposure now. And a bunch of those devs just donated 100 games for Valve to use in their auction, which made Valve a ton of money. For all the hyperbole in the past about "steam sales getting worse," this is the first time that's objectively been true.
Honestly though, the reasons for our saying this previously weren't unreasonable or hyperbole. The focus and variety of games had already changed, numerous repeat flash/daily selections had already become the norm, the meta games had changed for the worse, fewer games were on sale percentage wise, and from most anecdotal evidence the percentage discounts that games had were generally lower than initial sales. Everything tended to be less fun and noteworthy discount wise, and there was a general sense that without third party sellers or Russian connections to pick up the slack, Steam sales would have been much more obviously bad than admitted to by many. *cough*

Yeah it's daily. You can also see it from the timer in its store page. Won't get any lower (extremely likely).

Not very good honestly, It's got functional stealth elements and average shooting and not much else going for it. Couldn't bother to finish it.

I had fun with it. If you are into more classic shooters and if you liked the first Medal of Honors and Call of Duties. The start is really slow and boring but the action and missions get better.
And it was cool that it even had a Stealth System.

A lot of conflicting opinions it seems, thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom