• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

alstein

Is it just me, or is the sale getting much worse every year. Daily deals with only 25% or 33% off. I know valkyria chronicles was only recently released but to me that is not a very impressive discount. Iirc it was available with that kind of discount for pre-orders.
Publishers may get more desirable price average, but I would have thought mediocre discounts will dampen overall sale revenue. I am not looking for any games in particular and have a massive backlog to get through, but if I see something I am interested in at 50% or more I am likely to bite. Metal gear, beyond earth and valkyria are of Interest but the price isn't quite there yet.

It's because most of us got the old games we wanted already- and newer sales aren't going to go to those huge discounts until later.

2 years ago my Steam purchases dropped, and this year they dropped heavily for backlog games.

I'm spending money- but it's on new games for the most part.

Freedom Planet is $7.49 at the Humble Store. What are the odds that it will be a daily deal on Steam for even cheaper than that? Also I live in Canada so it's regular price is $2 more expensive on Steam.

Keeo an eye on GOG also. Also remember it's a game where the trading cards go for insane prices.

Lomax

Boy I'm gonna get coal in my stocking for this one, but this story pleases me.

Nothing personal, I've just got a bad history with profiteers.

Except that in the trading card market, people like him effectively get you free games. If not for the whales and the gamblers, trading cards would be worth nothing (as we are rapidly seeing with this sale's almost worthless cards), and all the free credit we get selling them off would go away. And given that it's an entirely optional system to participate in, it can only help you, it can't hurt you any. This is much different than say people who buy up all of the supply of a toy or a system and then resell at a profit.

I think I might have to buy Doom 3 just to play all these crazy mods people have been posting about in the last few months. I still haven't played Brutal Doom either

cicero

It's because most of us got the old games we wanted already- and newer sales aren't going to go to those huge discounts until later.

2 years ago my Steam purchases dropped, and this year they dropped heavily for backlog games.

I'm spending money- but it's on new games for the most part.

My 500 item wishlist full of older games not on sale or only 33% off salutes you.

Is the season pass for Arkham Origins worth it? Or is it like the Catwoman DLC for City?

Cold, Cold Heart is a really good mini-campaign, far better than Harley Quinn's Revenge. The rest is just a bunch of costumes and challenge arenas, so it depends on whether those are worth the extra $2.50.

Aaron D.

Except that in the trading card market, people like him effectively get you free games. If not for the whales and the gamblers, trading cards would be worth nothing (as we are rapidly seeing with this sale's almost worthless cards), and all the free credit we get selling them off would go away. And given that it's an entirely optional system to participate in, it can only help you, it can't hurt you any. This is much different than say people who buy up all of the supply of a toy or a system and then resell at a profit.

Well, I did say I was gonna get coal in my stocking, but I do agree with your point.

rickyson1

well found something to buy today after all

euro truck simulator 2 content dlcs technically from yesterday I guess but still on sale now

Lomax

Only 1.

Is it me or are card prices crashing a lot sooner this time around? In a couple of days they probably won't even be worth the few clicks to put them on the market.

By the way, when's Amazon doing their sale?

Cards crashed the moment the sale released because there was no event and everyone got a free card immediately instead of having to wait for three votes. Cards were worth less within 5 minutes of sale launch than they were at any point during the summer event.

Amazon seems to have abandoned being competitive in the digital download market, they've had a few random deals, but nothing major this year. They do still price match the dailies, so if you have credit there or a better exchange rate you can still choose to buy them at Amazon. The most competitive store currently appears to be GMG but their sales are spotty.

I think my most wanted game on Steam right now might be the original Doom. I never fully played it, and it gives me nostalgiagasms every time I see it.

I don't think I'll buy the complete pack, but I have a question: The Doom Classic Complete bundle is more expensive than all the games it contains combined. Does it have anything extra that you don't get if you collected the games individually?

Blue-kun

Woo, friend just gifted me Dark Souls 1. I've been meaning to get it for severa sales now, but somehow other things take priority and I never get it, lol. Busy with Etrian Odyssey IV at the moment, but I'll jump into it asap!

Also, what's the deal with the region locking, is it being enforced to ALL games? I'd like to gift back a game to my friend, who's in Portugal, but afraid that I won't be able to (I live in Brazil...). Do they at least give you a warning before you finish the sale? lol.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
So this time around we get a card for every community vote, but it's only once every 24 hours?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Was hoping for a free option.
I used JoyToKey. It was kind of a hassle but it works.

Btw, sorry to say but that Soul Reaver port is shite. Glitchy as hell. :( Sound is all messed up all the time. Soul Reaver 2 is even worse because of the very long cut scenes + rare saves, so if it crashes randomly... you're SOL. The only one that's OK is LoK: Defiance.

Great games but these ports suck, sadly. The console versions are the definitive ones.

I'm sorry, but how have you not played Doom? I'm envious of you sir.

I played very little of the first one (like 3 levels), and similarly of the second one. And I've seen other people play different parts of them. The only Doom game I fully completed was Doom 64.

Crazy question: can you downsample Doom, and does it benefit from it? :O

Finalow

tempted to buy MGR, already played it on ps3 a long time ago but I might go for a second run if I get it on steam. great game from PG

Aaron D.

If that is your aim, make sure to pick up the original and not BFG.

If I have no plans on modding it up, which is better? I finished the game/expansion on 360, but would like to have it in my Steam library and $5 sounds a lot better than $10. Also, I own all the old Doom titles on Steam already.

I think my most wanted game on Steam right now might be the original Doom. I never fully played it, and it gives me nostalgiagasms every time I see it.

I don't think I'll buy the complete pack, but I have a question: The Doom Classic Complete bundle is more expensive than all the games it contains combined. Does it have anything extra that you don't get if you collected the games individually?

I'm just gonna quote myself whole cloth from another board post I made yesterday. It doesn't answer your question but it's related to both you and the poster above (re: Brutal Doom).

Okay, I looked more closely at that YouTube link and it is seriously your One-Stop Shop to get you up & running with Brutal Doom.

Dude links a Dropbox .rar file that has everything you need (I scanned it with TrendMicro & it's clean.). It's got Brutal Doom, GZ Doom (modern launcher), plus a ton of extras in the form of audio/hud/HD-texture files.

All you need are the Doom.wad files and you're good to go. For example, on Steam the path would be: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Doom 2\base\DOOM2.WAD

Tutorial Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9vZO45V2xg

Dropbox contents: https://www.dropbox.com/s/akm73g3d35uavrg/Doom.rar

The only thing I noticed is that the Doom Metal Soundtrack (v4) that I originally linked might be more up to date. I think my mix is better, so if you decide to give it a go, simply swap out the DoomMetalVol4.wad with the one I linked ( http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/downloads/doom-metal-soundtrack-mod-volume-4 ).

An-Det

The AC4 Gold Edition says it comes with the Season Pass, which includes the Freedom Cry thing with Adewale. Apparently this is entirely separate from the item listed as DLC on the AC4 page or the separate Freedom Cry entry? It added the Death Vessel and Crusader & Florentine packs so that seems a strange omission.

Matchew

Not sure where to ask this but I have a question for Dark Souls. What is the easiest class to play as? If there is one.

Grief.exe

If I have no plans on modding it up, which is better? I finished the game/expansion on 360, but would like to have it in my Steam library and $5 sounds a lot better than $10. Also, I own all the old Doom titles on Steam already.

BFG is technically a downgrade over the original. The New content is just reused assets from the original release, no mods, and, I believe, no real time shadows.

M.D

Not sure where to ask this but I have a question for Dark Souls. What is the easiest class to play as? If there is one.

I think most people will say Sorcerer overall, but Pyromancer is pretty easy too and involves spells as well as melee and is more fun IMO and is the class that is recommended to people who first play the game

Matchew

I think most people will say Sorcerer overall, but Pyromancer is pretty easy too and involves spells as well as melee and is more fun IMO and is the class that is recommended to people who first play the game

Thanks man sounds good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom