• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finalow

Not sure where to ask this but I have a question for Dark Souls. What is the easiest class to play as? If there is one.
for PVE the pyromancer is the best option.

keep in mind that you can pick any class and still be a pyromancer, or anything you want really.

squadr0n

Guys, I need a good old fashioned RTS game. Help!

Sins of a Solar Empire or C&C 3 are both great if you havent played either.

How is Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms? Is it like Diablo style combat or Tomb Raider? Waiting for that or Shadow of Mordor to drop, anyone think they will mark down either more than the 25% off they are now?

fantomena

Worst Steam sale ever for me. The metagame sucks. Cards aren't worth anything. I've lost so much money on this. I'm never again going to bother with the Steam market after this sale, or Steam as a whole for that matter. It's not worth it anymore.

Haha, I literally laughed.

drgambit

Banned
Playfire & GMG are giving away free gaems... all I had to do was link playfire, GMG and steam together and I got a steam code in the email.

alstein

Gaf Galactic Civilizations 3 worth it? It is a early access game but i want to know how far they are with development.

They are done enough that there's a playable game, though they haven't done balance passing or put in the last two factions yet.

Combat also isn't fully implemented yet, and won't be until January.

What they have done is pretty well polished. I'd say it's safe to buy at this point. Also Stardock's done early development since 2001 if not prior- and they've only messed it up once, and when they happened they spent three years working on a game for free to make it up to the people who bought it- so it's safe to buy their games in EA.

pahamrick

I *THINK* this is still good, I don't remember giving it to anyone and I don't have any giveaway receipts for it in my PM box. If its not, I'm really sorry.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (pahamrick, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
XCOM Enemy Unknown -- MB-7C4E9433B11A845F - Taken by Jables Swan. 8 entrants total.

t1419025425z1.png

I mean, technically speaking, running Doom at any resolution higher than 320x200 is basically downsampling it. So, yes.

Not really. That's just rendering it at a higher resolution. I'm talking about using DSR or GeDoSaTo to run it at resolutions higher than your monitor and algorithmically scale it down to your display's resolution.

Would it work in reducing jaggies like on the door frame in this shot viewed at @1200p:

I'm not even sure if that would be a desirable result, and surely to some purists. I'm just curious how it would look with near perfect AA. I know it wouldn't affect the 2D stuff in the game.

glow

Banned
Does Arkham Origins still have game-breaking bugs? I've held off on buying it because of all the reports of bugs, but hell- it's only $5 today.

I thought I got away clean today before learning that Black Flag is $10.

Now I'm on the fence.

Also, I understand that BF is widely considered the best AC game to date, but what about the next in line? Is Brotherhood considered the second best? It's only $5 on the Daily.

I would say 2/Brotherhood is considered the best to date, BF was just a return to that era after the disappointments of Revelations and 3. So yes for the love of good, buy Brotherhood.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Even with the recent region-locking taking place?
The region locking is only for trading and gifting games on Steam. Keys are generally fine (though region-locked keys exist, like Saint's Row IV). That's why you can buy games from GMG and still be okay even if it's in the UK. But this depends on the store in question. Nuuvem stocks region-free keys so it's fine.

Does Arkham Origins still have game-breaking bugs? I've held off on buying it because of all the reports of bugs, but hell- it's only $5 today.

I ran into one during my first playthrough with it and that was after they had patched it and publicly stated they weren't going to fix any other bugs and work on DLC instead.

First playthrough I got about 6-8 hours in and fell through the ground in the Police Station. Loading the game kept taking me back to the void and I couldn't progress.

My advice would be to do what I did and keep a manual backup of your saves while you are playing it. It's not too hard, you just need to find the file where the save file is kept, and save the different versions into a separate folder. If your game gets fucked, you can just copy and paste the most recent one and you're good! I did it every few hours (usually between play sessions), but thankfully didn't run into any gamebreaking bugs on the second playthrough.

Cbajd5

new price mistakes? there were price mistakes yesterday? :O

Not really. This went 100% off, but you couldn't buy it and the other 2 that seemed like price mistakes apparently aren't or their owners just don't care because they're still 97%/98% off.

glow

Banned
I ran into one during my first playthrough with it and that was after they had patched it and publicly stated they weren't going to fix any other bugs and work on DLC instead.

First playthrough I got about 6-8 hours in and fell through the ground in the Police Station. Loading the game kept taking me back to the void and I couldn't progress.

My advice would be to do what I did and keep a manual backup of your saves while you are playing it. It's not too hard, you just need to find the file where the save file is kept, and save the different versions into a separate folder. If your game gets fucked, you can just copy and paste the most recent one and you're good! I did it every few hours (usually between play sessions), but thankfully didn't run into any gamebreaking bugs on the second playthrough.

Thanks for the tip, much appreciated! I'd hate it if I lost that much progress in the game.

aku:jiki

How is Spacebase DF9?

I thought Double Fine was a decent dev.
It has one of the worst UIs I've ever seen. Everything you can do takes like 50 unnecessary clicks. Just to start the game you have to pick a place to spawn, then click a big button that says "accept", then click another big button that says "launch". There is no reason for the latter two clicks, and it's indicative of how the whole game is designed. The lead designer seems to think that the more clicks you have to do to make something happen, the deeper and more strategic it is. I spent 45 minutes trying really hard to like it but it's just a frustrating chore. Everything from assigning tasks to building new rooms to mining asteroids made no sense and was needlessly cumbersome, and nothing felt smooth and intuitive.

Would've been a decent, if a little simplistic, space station builder with a better UI. I liked the menu designs, aesthetically, and music.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
$60 damage today

Borderlands Pre-Sequel
Fable with dlc packs

$80 so far dam you steam!

Come on far cry and telltale sale!

I'm currently replaying the Suikoden series and Dark Souls for the first time, and I just HAD to play the start of Valkyria Chronicles after getting it on sale. You know, just to make sure it runs........too many games! Anyway, the game looks fun! No regrets, even if it drops lower than $12.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom