• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anustart

Just beat Sam I'm mgr. Good fight. Wondering something though from the next area, two of those small arm robots on top of each other materialized in front of me. I saw the same thing on a ledge at the top of the building but couldn't get to it.

Are these things special?

Just beat Sam I'm mgr. Good fight. Wondering something though from the next area, two of those small arm robots on top of each other materialized in front of me. I saw the same thing on a ledge at the top of the building but couldn't get to it.

Are these things special?

You get an achievement for killing 5 and it unlocks something. Can't remember what (weapon maybe)

etrain911

Is it worth double-dipping on Valkyria Chronicles? How's the port? I've heard it's a few bucks cheaper at GMG, but it looks to be the same price...

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I'm running an i5 3750 @4.2GHZ with a GTX970 and the game and the game is running at a solid 60fps with everything as high as it goes. With the exception of PhysX because I was getting weird frame drops.

The port feels pretty good but it depends on your specs I suppose.
Hmmm, that looks like a pretty good rig.

These are my specs. As you can see, they aren't very good (its a laptop).
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00GHz
Graphics card: GeForce GT 730M
Size: 8.1 GB

Does anyone know if my PC would be able to run Assassin's Creed 4, even at the very lowest settings? I haven't found a game that won't run on my computer, but I don't have many demanding games from the past 2-3 years. Can You Run It said that AC4 wouldn't run, but it's also said that for other games that still work. Would it be possible for me to download a demo of a similarly demanding game and see if that runs?

Spyware

Possibly, the one displayed on the front page was Dungeons of the Endless so it probably was an Endless franchise sales. It definitely should make an appearance during these winter sales, Endless games always do.

Yeah it was. I bought them both but don't remember the % :D Based on the price in the transactions list I think it was 50% on both.

Is Arkham Origins worth playing, or so should I just wait for the genuine Rocksteady deal with Arkham Knight?

Wait. Everyone I know who played origins is now kinda burnt out on the series and regrets playing it. It's made by a different studio and even Rocksteady doesn't view in that great of a light, they call their new one the "end of the trilogy of Arkham games". Think of it as a direct to dvd release sequel.

4 hours left. Still tempted by MGR but I don't I'd start it for another few months.
Should I still go for it?

18bl1vhgij1xqgif.gif

Hop in.

PBalfredo

Wait. Everyone I know who played origins is now kinda burnt out on the series and regrets playing it. It's made by a different studio and even Rocksteady doesn't view in that great of a light, they call their new one the "end of the trilogy of Arkham games". Think of it as a direct to dvd release sequel.

This is what I was wondering about. Whether Origins is worth dimishing the hype for Knight by exposing myself to just that much more Batman. Does Origins do anything interesting with Batman, or is it just City 2?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Hmmm, that looks like a pretty good rig.

These are my specs. As you can see, they aren't very good (its a laptop).
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00GHz
Graphics card: GeForce GT 730M
Size: 8.1 GB

Does anyone know if my PC would be able to run Assassin's Creed 4, even at the very lowest settings? I haven't found a game that won't run on my computer, but I don't have many demanding games from the past 2-3 years. Can You Run It said that AC4 wouldn't run, but it's also said that for other games that still work. Would it be possible for me to download a demo of a similarly demanding game and see if that runs?

Damn.

No your computer would not be able to run the game. You don't meet the minimum processor requirements. Even if you managed to jury rig something to a playable experience it wouldn't be very fun.

-MD-

So does it play like one of those Onechanbara (sp) games?

And how bearable is the story if I'm not a fan of the MGS lore?

Plays more like Killer is Dead or Devil May Cry, and it seems fairly self contained and not too convoluted so far 3 or 4 missions in, it's also my first MG game.

Salsa

guys Rising is great stop asking such silly questions

you dont have to like metal gear

gameplay is fun

set pieces are awesome

story is stupid and fun

shut up buy it shut up

Bought DoorKickers because it was a daily deal and I haven't seen it dip to that cheap like ever.

I needed a tactical shooter anyway, I've been craving a Rainbow Six 3 esque game for ages.

Hopefully South Park drops below 10 bucks so I can get it with my steam cash, I'm out of money for my debit card which only had 10 bucks left on it lol.
worth it.

So does it play like one of those Onechanbara (sp) games?

And how bearable is the story if I'm not a fan of the MGS lore?

Not really. That isn't an effective form of play above normal. Parrying is where it's at.

The story is kind of wacky but not as indulgent as regular MGS. Think Total Recall, it has the elements to be a totally serious movie but it stars Arnold Schwarzenegger which fucks it up (in a good way).

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ugh EA is still using this stupid battlelog brower bullcrap for BF4? I can't even play the campaign because the plugin won't install properly...

EdtI: Got it working after some messing around. Glad I only paid $5.

tmarques

Plays more like Killer is Dead or Devil May Cry, and it seems fairly self contained and not too convoluted so far 3 or 4 missions in, it's also my first MG game.

Do you enjoy Platinum games? It's like Devil May Cry 3 with a more Japanese flavor to action and cinematics.

Sold. I was thinking of getting Killer is Dead but I suppose I'll get this instead and wait for a better deal on KiD.

This is what I was wondering about. Whether Origins is worth dimishing the hype for Knight by exposing myself to just that much more Batman. Does Origins do anything interesting with Batman, or is it just City 2?

No, it doesn't do anything new. It opens up the map a bit, but still uses the same map from City so you see a lot of the same places, just dressed up a bit. Also I hate the voices in that game and also the fact that they shoehorned Joker in that game again, instead of giving someone new as the main villain. I will say that Red Hood part was actually interesting from a story telling perspective, but then again, if you actually play it, it's just him walking down a corridor for a few mins and actually no real gameplay. Just a overall extremely disappointing followup from Arkham City.

Also, I'm a little bit older than the audience for this game. Arkham Asylum and City were written by Paul Dini (Who wrote the Animated Series), the voice actors are the same from the animated series as well. I'm a huge fan of Batman '89 and Returns, I loved the animated series. When they rebooted the movies and went realistic heroes with Begins and Dark Knight, I still enjoyed it because of Batman, but no where near as much as the originals. So in that vein, I am also the minority. Dark Knight in my mind was decent for what it was, but not a real Batman movie to me and also not as good as the Tim Burton ones.

Play origin is you want to burn yourself out on a mediocre rehash of City made by a B team, and made for people who think Dark Knight is the greatest movie of all time, or just wait a bit for Rocksteady, the REAL Batman team to make a much more mature and polished game. I saw it at E3 and it looked phenomenal and already really polished, wait and you will be rewarded with a FAR superior game

Ashtrax

Is Arkham Origins worth playing, or so should I just wait for the genuine Rocksteady deal with Arkham Knight?

Personally I thought it was a better game than Arkham City, more refined and had some great set pieces in it, but nothing really new to add to the series. Story wise, it's decent, but felt like a companion piece to Rocksteady's previous titles rather than a direct tie in.

If you're a fan of the series, it's worth the purchase as a sale title, but if you're worried about getting burnt out, you can skip this one and wait for Arkham Knight due next year.

PBalfredo

I'm watching the Giant Bomb Quicklook of Hack n Slash right now, and this game looks totally nuts. I might want try this just to check it out. About how long is this game?

PBalfredo

No, it doesn't do anything new. It opens up the map a bit, but still uses the same map from City so you see a lot of the same places, just dressed up a bit. Also I hate the voices in that game and also the fact that they shoehorned Joker in that game again, instead of giving someone new as the main villain. I will say that Red Hood part was actually interesting from a story telling perspective, but then again, if you actually play it, it's just him walking down a corridor for a few mins and actually no real gameplay. Just a overall extremely disappointing followup from Arkham City.

Also, I'm a little bit older than the audience for this game. Arkham Asylum and City were written by Paul Dini (Who wrote the Animated Series), the voice actors are the same from the animated series as well. I'm a huge fan of Batman '89 and Returns, I loved the animated series. When they rebooted the movies and went realistic heroes with Begins and Dark Knight, I still enjoyed it because of Batman, but no where near as much as the originals. So in that vein, I am also the minority. Dark Knight in my mind was decent for what it was, but not a real Batman movie to me and also not as good as the Tim Burton ones.

Play origin is you want to burn yourself out on a mediocre rehash of City made by a B team, and made for people who think Dark Knight is the greatest movie of all time, or just wait a bit for Rocksteady, the REAL Batman team to make a much more mature and polished game. I saw it at E3 and it looked phenomenal and already really polished, wait and you will be rewarded with a FAR superior game

It's the same map from City? :/

I also forgot that they also changed the voices here. Kevin Conroy is Batman as far as I'm concerned.

Personally I thought it was a better game than Arkham City, more refined and had some great set pieces in it, but nothing really new to add to the series. Story wise, it's decent, but felt like a companion piece to Rocksteady's previous titles rather than a direct tie in.

If you're a fan of the series, it's worth the purchase as a sale title, but if you're worried about getting burnt out, you can skip this one and wait for Arkham Knight due next year.

Yeah I might just wait until after Knight.

Help me decide:
Total War Master Collection
or
Total Grand Master Collection

Well, unless all those DLC actually adds more gameplay than just plain cosmetic, I think the Total War Master Collection is good enough. plus, if you really want the fall of samurai, you could always buy it separately

Kagemusha

I ended up getting about $100 from selling winter sale cards at a quarter each. Also picked up another $70 from selling extra inventory items.

Regret selling 20 gem sacks at 30 cents. Should have known they would have gone up.

Got about 26 indie games in the auction for about $2.50 each. Overall I think the auction is a neat idea. Better meta-game than the team summer sale.

$-165.54 lost in market for the year. Most of that loss was to go from level 0 to 124. Not sure why I did that. Hopefully I'll sell the cards from now on.

The GOG Galaxy alpha is neat but man are they so far behind Steam. They really shouldn't even bother. Still love the way they use original artwork on their site. Steam store pages are so dark and depressing compared to the bright grey of GOG.com

I'm going to pass on Gal Civ 3. Too much for a beta and I still haven't played much of the Endless games or even Gal Civ 2.

Tizoc

Is it worth double-dipping on Valkyria Chronicles? How's the port? I've heard it's a few bucks cheaper at GMG, but it looks to be the same price...
Gmg has discount codes
Get valk it is a great port
Tbe more sales it gets the better chances of sega releasing their platinum library a d more on steAm.

Shengar

Well, unless all those DLC actually adds more gameplay than just plain cosmetic, I think the Total War Master Collection is good enough. plus, if you really want the fall of samurai, you could always buy it separately

I think I ended up with the grand master collection since it's suit better for what I want. But the lack of Medieval II Kingdoms there really annoys me :/

Watevaman

Debating picking up Alien Isolation off of GMG using the discount that brings it to ~$20. Anyone think it'll drop lower than that during this sale?

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
GMG has Skyrim Legendary for $13.49
Should I jump in or wait and hope Steam has it lower.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/...r-scrolls-v-skyrim-legendary-edition/#item-s6
Says it requires Steam. Does that mean it just spits out a key to redeem on steam? Or are GoG and Steam accounts somehow linked?
I'm new at this. Sorry :s
Check Is There Any Deal? first. It's been $11.95 at the lowest, so you're only really paying $1.50 extra. The lowest it's been on Steam is $13.59. GMG sells Steam keys, yes. GOG is an entirely different store that doesn't give Steam keys whatsoever (it sells DRM free games).

Any differences in VC from the PS3 version besides the addition of the DLC?
Improved graphics, framerate and aliasing, achievements, cards. At least that's all that comes to mind off the top of my head
Valkyria Chronicles is cheaper on GMG, 25% plus 20% voucher (WINTER-SALE20-GROGRE) = 40% off. £9.
(Or 12 in USD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom