• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcrunch

Did you like the previous Batman games? Would you like to play another that is slightly better in some ways and somewhat worse in others? Then you would probably like AO.

If you are the type of person that describes games as "soulless" with a straight face and thinks it actually means something, it probably isn't for you.

I never played any of them, but I decided to just get the first two. Thanks though, maybe the next time it's on sale.

jholmes

Going by these reviews, is Arkham Origins not even worth the $5? I haven't played the other two but they look safe review-wise.

I'm enjoying it and the fights are, as said, the best in the series. That said it reuses assets from Arkham City like crazy and almost feels like an expansion or huge DLC, at least in single player. The big difference is Arkham City has a great plot and Origins does not.

Amazing spiderman 2 worth getting?

I played it on Wii U and I had fun with it. It was a little buggy there but PC may be better. It's an Arkham clone with crappier combat but webslinging is awesome. The problem is halfway through the game it just shovels bullshit at you while you're exploring the city, ruining the best part of the game.

Ventara

Just had a chance to look through the sales, and it's kinda meh for me. Not that the sales are bad, but with my huge backlog, there's only a handful of games I'm interested in picking.

Though, The Evil Within and Wolfenstein for $16 each is kinda tempting, and I do want to jump on that free copy of This War of Mine from Indie Gala, but I can't seem to find $30 worth of games I want to get from them.

Speaking of...
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH HER NECK?!?!?!?!?!!!!
2014-12-19_22-57-28.png

Nothing? I think the shoulder pad thing is throwing you off. Kinda makes it look like that's where her shoulder is when it isn't.

Edit: Actually, that might not be a shoulder pad. I think it's just her hair.

Love Civ, and want to like Beyond Earth, but after checking out some reviews, it seems wise to hold back, at least until the first expansion. Not sure exactly how much the recent patch changes over the launch state of the game, but skimming it doesn't necessarily seem like enough.

And Gal Civ III I think I can wait until release - maybe next summer sale. Still missing a lot at the moment and I don't know how much I'd get out of it for the price between now and then, even at 50% off sale price.

If nothing else I guess I can finally get Brave New World (though I'll be unhappy about the price) when Civ likely returns on the encore day(s).

Teggy

Installed Mini Ninjas because I just bought it on sale and I wanted to play something silly. Even though I am in the middle of like six games from this year. Couldn't get the damn game to start. Tried everything I found on the net.

Installed Dark Souls. It is not silly, don't know why, just wanted to try Dark Souls. I am so bad at this game. What have I done.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Ride to Hell: Retribution was pulled from the store.

That's disappointing.

Just played Gearcrack Arena.

This is the worst game.
Holy shit.

Worse than "Ride to Hell" is a pretty impressive feat.

Love Civ, and want to like Beyond Earth, but after checking out some reviews, it seems wise to hold back, at least until the first expansion. Not sure exactly how much the recent patch changes over the launch state of the game, but skimming it doesn't necessarily seem like enough.

And Gal Civ III I think I can wait until release - maybe next summer sale. Still missing a lot at the moment and I don't know how much I'd get out of it for the price between now and then, even at 50% off sale price.

If nothing else I guess I can finally get Brave New World (though I'll be unhappy about the price) when Civ likely returns on the encore day(s).

Right now, Beyond Earth is just Civ 5 with a horrible UI.

Teeth

I never played any of them, but I decided to just get the first two. Thanks though, maybe the next time it's on sale.

The first two are good-to-excellent games. You just bought yourself about 25 hours of fun.

I personally like AC the best ( both for its parade of villains, refined mechanics, and vibrant and detailed art) but a lot of people prefer the first for its more constrained through line.

I wouldn't play them back to back for fear of burnout; they aren't mechanically complex games (even though they are bloated with gadgets and moves), and should be experienced more as an adventure or theme park. If you want even a remote challenge, I would bump it up to hard (though realize that it takes away all of the button prompts in combat).

Worse than "Ride to Hell" is a pretty impressive feat.

Ride to Hell has dry-humping and awkward voice-acting going for it.

Gearcrack has...well...

It's 9 cents and has cards, everyone should just buy it and see for themselves.
(free soundtrack too, which isn't too bad I guess)

Modded Skyrim is amazing.

There really is something for everyone, no matter their feti...errrr..interests.

Once I clear enough of my backlog and upgrade my PC I'm going back to Skyrim with a fresh set of mods.

Unicorn

Any good word on Depth?

It's AvP with Sharks and Divers. They added a couple new sharks that play differently, but I'm hoping they add more gametype/modes in time. It just "released" a month or so ago. I'd bite if it were $10 in it's current state.

If you have a group of friends to play with, then I think it may be worth that price now.

Unicorn

Question, thinking of buying Depth, is that 40% off a daily deal?

Yes. Was 33% previously. It was pre-order price of 20$, so It's marginally cheaper. There is someone in the BST thread that has keys for $9. I'm not sure if they're region-locked or what, but I have been on the fence about nabbing it from them.
Where do I start if I want to mod skyrim?

Have you played Vanilla? I've found that getting the best mods is playing through Vanilla, noting what I feel should be changed or is missing, then starting with those mods. There is a thread of GAF which helps parse good from bad.

I'm enjoying it and the fights are, as said, the best in the series. That said it reuses assets from Arkham City like crazy and almost feels like an expansion or huge DLC, at least in single player. The big difference is Arkham City has a great plot and Origins does not.

I disagree, I think Origins has my favorite story of the three by a comfortable margin.

Ventara

Where do I start if I want to mod skyrim?

For starters, get Nexus Mod Manager to help keep track of mods. Anyways, here's what I have, though it's been a while since I've added any mods, so I don't know if any are outdated and whatnot.

Aurora and Twilight Followers
Elven Sisters
Inigo
My Home is Your Home
Seranaholic
Vilja in Skyrim - ViljaInSolstheimAddOn
Villja in Skyrim
W.A.T.E.R
Skyrim Beautiful Followers
Achieve That!
Complete Crafting Overhaul
Run For Your Lives
When Vampires Attack
Enhanced Character Edit
The Eyes of Beauty - NPC
The Eyes of Beauty - PLAYER
Face to face conversation
Follower Commentary Overhaul
Guard Dialog Overhaul
Lanterns of Skyrim
Real Shelter
Ring of Change
Wearable Lanterns
Unique Booze Bottles
Alchemist Compendium
Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim
Face Light
aMidianBorn Landscape - 1k
Book Covers Skyrim
Calientes Female Body Mod Big Bottom Edition (lol, this sounds bad)
Enhanced Night Skyrim - Color Galaxy
Enhanced Night Skyrim - High Stars
Skyrim Flora Overhaul
Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - SHD LITE - Dungeons
Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - SHD LITE - Landscape
Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - SHD LITE - Misc
Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - SHD LITE - Riften
Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - SHD LITE - Towns
Falskaar
Amazing Follower Tweaks
Interesting NPCs
Interesting NPCs - Hearthfires Patch
Serana - Remove Hood
Climates of Tamriel - Lighting - Audio - Dawnguard
Climates of Tamriel - Lighting - Audio - Dragonborn
Climates of Tamriel - Lighting - Audio - Sounds
Deadly Dragons
Project Reality - Climates of Tamriel
Realistic Lighting Overhaul
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch
Unofficial High Resolution Patch
Unofficial Skyrim Patch
Civil War Overhaul
Better Females by Bella
A Quality World Map
skse scripts
Better Dialogue Controls
Immersive HUD
SkyUI
Glowing Ore Veins 300
Static Mesh Improvement
Immersive Weapons
JaySuS Swords
Stormbringer Runic Sword
R18Pn 09 - Shanoa Armor

CHC

I appreciate what he's doing but goddamn if the Shovel Knight developer doesn't drive a hard bargain. Steam sale comes and this game doesn't even bat an eyelash.

"15 bucks, take it or leave it motherfuckers."

famfrit

For starters, get Nexus Mod Manager to help keep track of mods. Anyways, here's what I have, though it's been a while since I've added any mods, so I don't know if any are outdated and whatnot.

Aurora and Twilight Followers
Elven Sisters
Inigo
My Home is Your Home
Seranaholic
Vilja in Skyrim - ViljaInSolstheimAddOn
Villja in Skyrim
W.A.T.E.R
Skyrim Beautiful Followers
Achieve That!
Complete Crafting Overhaul
Run For Your Lives
When Vampires Attack
Enhanced Character Edit
The Eyes of Beauty - NPC
The Eyes of Beauty - PLAYER
Face to face conversation
Follower Commentary Overhaul
Guard Dialog Overhaul
Lanterns of Skyrim
Real Shelter
Ring of Change
Wearable Lanterns
Unique Booze Bottles
Alchemist Compendium
Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim
Face Light
aMidianBorn Landscape - 1k
Book Covers Skyrim
Calientes Female Body Mod Big Bottom Edition (lol, this sounds bad)
Enhanced Night Skyrim - Color Galaxy
Enhanced Night Skyrim - High Stars
Skyrim Flora Overhaul
Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - SHD LITE - Dungeons
Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - SHD LITE - Landscape
Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - SHD LITE - Misc
Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - SHD LITE - Riften
Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - SHD LITE - Towns
Falskaar
Amazing Follower Tweaks
Interesting NPCs
Interesting NPCs - Hearthfires Patch
Serana - Remove Hood
Climates of Tamriel - Lighting - Audio - Dawnguard
Climates of Tamriel - Lighting - Audio - Dragonborn
Climates of Tamriel - Lighting - Audio - Sounds
Deadly Dragons
Project Reality - Climates of Tamriel
Realistic Lighting Overhaul
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch
Unofficial High Resolution Patch
Unofficial Skyrim Patch
Civil War Overhaul
Better Females by Bella
A Quality World Map
skse scripts
Better Dialogue Controls
Immersive HUD
SkyUI
Glowing Ore Veins 300
Static Mesh Improvement
Immersive Weapons
JaySuS Swords
Stormbringer Runic Sword
R18Pn 09 - Shanoa Armor

Thanks.

Grizza

All the apprehensiveness about Arkham Origins is silly. It's $5 and holds its own against the first two games. My only issue was that it seemed a little short. Buy it-- this is what Steam sales are all about.

Teeth

Yeah same here. Probably because most of the games are uninteresting (to me anyway).

Your first sale has a decade of games to buy that you may like. The next one has a few additions plus all of the previous ones you didn't buy. Every subsequent one chips away at that list until the only things you want are things that have come out since the last sale.

That's the saturation point. Depending on the specificity of your tastes, you could reach that point in a couple of sales.

Midn1ght

Spent my €30 budget in 2 days :

- Deus Ex - Human Revolution Director's Cut
- Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag + Freedom Cry DLC
- Metal Gear Solid V - Ground Zeroes
- Metal Gear Solid - Revengeance

Will probably burn an extra 20 before the end.

God dammit...

Compsiox

Banned
Your first sale has a decade of games to buy that you may like. The next one has a few additions plus all of the previous ones you didn't buy. Every subsequent one chips away at that list until the only things you want are things that have come out since the last sale.

That's the saturation point. Depending on the specificity of your tastes, you could reach that point in a couple of sales.

Great...thanks for this.

Grief.exe

I appreciate what he's doing but goddamn if the Shovel Knight developer doesn't drive a hard bargain. Steam sale comes and this game doesn't even bat an eyelash.

"15 bucks, take it or leave it motherfuckers."

Even if they had just dropped the price 10 or 25 percent, they would be increasing their revenue exponentially.

The majority of sales come from being featured on the front page of Steam. Time and time again we have seen data points showing that getting onto the front page of Steam is what brings in the money.

Shovel Knight isn't getting on the front page of Steam.

ExoSoul

Banned
Gaf I present to you a game for the daring:
Steam Sale Rullete
Buy everything on your wish list that's discounted (more than 50% may be a rule), at the end of the sale there will be a draft to see whom amongst the group picks up the tab for everyone.
Enjoy *muwahahah*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom