• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should buy Asylum, play it, and if you like it, get City in the next sale. At that point, decide whether you want Origins in the sale after that.

Yeah, despite what people will say, all three games are of similar quality, albeit with different strengths and weaknesses that cause people to like one over the others.

Asylum had the advantage of being first, and is a more linear game. People also like that it has Metroidvania elements, but if you ask me, its Metroidvania elements are nothing special compared to actual Metroidvania games.

City took Asylum and went open world with it, and some people loved it and others hated it. I think it does its open world well and liked it more than Asylum, personally. I like that if you get tired of advancing the plot, you can just do something else for a while and cleanse your palette a bit. When I got tired of advancing the plot in Asylum, I just stopped playing.

Origins is basically City again made by a different team, so it gets hate from people who didn't like City, people who don't like sequels that don't add anything, and people who don't like games that change developers. If you don't fall into one of those groups, Origins is a fine game.

Teeth

Most def. It makes God of War look like shit too I mean just take a look at this

...and these impressions should be enough to seal the deal

Based on previous posts, its performance is good now.

Marlow Briggs doesn't make GoW look like shit. Not even close. It is exactly the B tier GoW clone it appears to be. It's fun and funny enough, but it's mostly bolstered by low expectations and brevity.

^^^^
Agreed on all accounts, though I'd also say that Origins saps the visuals of all colour, grit, and verve, and swims in the ghetto of Low Tier Villains.

kurahador

Origins is basically City again made by a different team, so it gets hate from people who didn't like City, people who don't like sequels that don't add anything, and people who don't like games that change developers. If you don't fall into one of those groups, Origins is a fine game.

Unless that developer is Obsidian of course.
thisisneogaf.gif

Tizoc

Although there are mods that can improve the experience, I would recommend holding off on getting DmC 2013.
Its Def. Edition is releasing on PS4 in a couple of months and it is likely to get a Steam release afterwards, and there's no guarantee it would be a free update if past 'Def. Editions' are anything to go by =P

Burt

Decided to go in on Our Darker Purpose earlier tonight. Been looking at it for a while. It's not quite as smooth as Binding of Isaac, but it has some clever writing and a fairly unique tone that have made it worthwhile so far. Seems like it has a pretty solid amount of depth and variety of content, which'll be nice to explore. Doubt it's gonna get any lower than 74% off, so I'll recommend picking it up ASAP for anyone that's a fan of BoI and/or... I dunno, old Tim Burton?

tauke

Bought Arkham Origins. Not sure if I want to get the season pass for now but times like this I appreciate the change of currency at Steam Store as my country currency is depreciating faster than a bird shit falling from the sky.

Basically Arkham Origins cost me USD $2.73 after conversion.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Everyone get Insurgency. One of the better realistic shooters but without the annoying bugs that plague Battlefield and the terrible controls of ARMA. Servers are plentiful and very noob friendly.

Everyone get Insurgency. One of the better realistic shooters but without the annoying bugs that plague Battlefield and the terrible controls of ARMA. Servers are plentiful and very noob friendly.

I support that. It's pretty slow and requires a mic if you want to really play.
I got it during its early access and got burn for it, but it's a great game now

Tizoc

I'm keen to get Ryse to see what it looks like on my 780. I wonder if this is as cheap as it will go?

Nuuvem.com.br has Ryse but it is not part of their sale. Keep an eye on it and if you see it go for cheap just grab it off of there. You might get it for $10 or less...in Summer Sale 2015 at worst =X

Orcs Must Die 2 was freakin rad. Definitely worth it for that price.

Also, people hating on Skyrim LE?

funny-pictures-auto-pikachu-bitch-please-380244.jpeg

XBP

Grabbed the following so far:

State of Decay (steam)
Alien Isolation (gmg)
Evil Within (gmg)
Wolfenstein New Order (gmg)
Max Payne 3 (nuuvem)
Shadow of Mordor (nuuvem)
MGR (steam)

My wallet, :(

jakomocha

How's the Assassin's Creed IV PC port? I haven't played the game before. I am thinking of picking up the $15 gold edition so that I'll also get the Aveline DLC and Freedom's Cry (don't really care much about the other DLC included though). Is that worth it?

RIP my wallet, already bought Total War Rome 2 & Civ 5 Brave New World, probably many games to come

Mr Swine

Banned
I'm happy that I finally bought Anno 1404 and Venice! Also bought Metal Gear Solid 5 and I really need to buy a Xbox controller lol

AMUSIX

Fuck, Doorkickers was a flash sale and I missed it? It's at 40% sale right now, how much better in flash?

And also Skyrim?

Damnit, why am I filling my days with anything BUT Steamwatching???

Buzzbrad

How's the Assassin's Creed IV PC port? I haven't played the game before. I am thinking of picking up the $15 gold edition so that I'll also get the Aveline DLC and Freedom's Cry (don't really care much about the other DLC included though). Is that worth it?

RIP my wallet, already bought Total War Rome 2 & Civ 5 Brave New World, probably many games to come

AC:IV is a fine port for PC now. I haven't had any problems personally.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Speevy, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 26 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Speevy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Banner Saga -- MB-127AC7A66C64F454 - Taken by AsylumX. 33 entrants total.
Lili: Child of Geos - Complete Edition -- MB-2DD79390F7521F67 - Taken by hardcastlemccormick. 7 entrants total.
Mind: Path to Thalamus -- MB-358776BAC31507A8 - Taken by chronomac. 7 entrants total.
A Story About My Uncle -- MB-70656369A4422051 - Taken by agniswarm. 9 entrants total.
Deadnaut -- MB-C1C379F939356D83 - Taken by pahamrick. 1 entrants total.
Space Run -- MB-61B044E2329C99F0 - Taken by Diedac. 2 entrants total.
Astebreed -- MB-F2BFE51A4924BBBC - Taken by NingenJanai. 8 entrants total.
Kromaia -- MB-7BBF7D957C91A7E6 - Taken by S1n1st3r. 3 entrants total.
LYNE -- MB-7569E2B25E7AB2D9 - Taken by ExoSoul. 4 entrants total.
Onikira - Demon Killer -- MB-DF72990673191049 - Taken by Bayonetta. 2 entrants total.
Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION -- MB-DB724CF9DF01B9DD - Taken by NEO0MJ. 2 entrants total.
KAMUI -- MB-F950A588E71A9FE2 - Taken by gngf123. 2 entrants total.
The Desolate Hope -- MB-3C1E9576ECE3254A - Taken by Teggy. 2 entrants total.
Dungeon of the Endless -- MB-E05401AF259AEF67 - Taken by The Reloader. 4 entrants total.
Salt -- MB-75CC024320DE9153 - Taken by fallout. 4 entrants total.
Freedom Planet -- MB-F992649FAD93DE56 - Taken by Widdly Scuds. 18 entrants total.
Our Darker Purpose -- MB-DF7AF99266765D2D - Taken by DocSeuss. 3 entrants total.
Broforce -- MB-D7547B53D55B0259 - Taken by alr1ght. 17 entrants total.
Doorkickers -- MB-64467163EE3A9693 - Taken by Lain. 13 entrants total.
Fract OSC- -- MB-C4B5B1E37FB4A206 - Taken by NightmareTrigger. 5 entrants total.
Styx: Master of Shadows -- MB-EAAC5A728A8114DD - Taken by spindoctor. 48 entrants total.
Gnomoria -- MB-BE713B4CCBFE7345 - Taken by user237. 1 entrants total.
Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine -- MB-A34D430059F6AE6C - Taken by Hanzou. 1 entrants total.
The Fall -- MB-F55C625E09B6EC6E - Taken by Turfster. 3 entrants total.
Hexcells Bundle -- MB-BDF91AB0B8BA00AE - Taken by salazar547. 8 entrants total.
Pixel Piracy -- MB-8818E571801D3886 - Taken by darkchewie. 1 entrants total.

t1419104624z1.png

Zoolader

Orcs Must Die 2 was freakin rad. Definitely worth it for that price.

Also, people hating on Skyrim LE?

funny-pictures-auto-pikachu-bitch-please-380244.jpeg

There are a lot of people don't like vanilla Skyrim. Then there are people like me who spent more time modding the game than actually playing it and end up getting burned out.

MBison

The steam reviews for Fable Anniversary are pretty harsh. Is it not worth the upgrade? Thought it might be a good game for daughter but if the HD update sucks then I'd pass.

Popstar

Hmm. For the community vote I think I'm going to go for Rage in the hope the rest of id software stuff gets a discount too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The steam reviews for Fable Anniversary are pretty harsh. Is it not worth the upgrade? Thought it might be a good game for daughter but if the HD update sucks then I'd pass.

A large part of that would be because it launched without mouse support for menus. Lionhead claims that releasing the game with mouse support and mod support wasn't feasible without delaying it, opting for the latter, but that sounds utterly ridiculous to me.

MBison

A large part of that would be because it launched without mouse support for menus. Lionhead claims that releasing the game with mouse support and mod support wasn't feasible without delaying it, opting for the latter, but that sounds utterly ridiculous to me.

Ok thanks. Any one with personal experience with the game?

biteren

heres my haul so far!

Age of Empires 2 HD + the DLC campaign
Return to Casle Wolfenstein
Minimum

ok not much so far but i got 3 games ive been wanting.
on my hit list this year:
Dawn of War 2 with as much of the DLC i can nab

Apt101

Well, Civilization Beyond Earth for $30. I need something to waste time until Christmas Eve. I almost pulled the trigger on Endless Legend, but I don;t have the time right now to juggle two new strategy games.

Decado

Decided to go in on Our Darker Purpose earlier tonight. Been looking at it for a while. It's not quite as smooth as Binding of Isaac, but it has some clever writing and a fairly unique tone that have made it worthwhile so far. Seems like it has a pretty solid amount of depth and variety of content, which'll be nice to explore. Doubt it's gonna get any lower than 74% off, so I'll recommend picking it up ASAP for anyone that's a fan of BoI and/or... I dunno, old Tim Burton?

The steam page doesn't have a section for features. Does this game have local or online co-op?

XBP

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam and 3 Origin keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (XBP, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians -- MB-9D3E93E9EA32D48B - Taken by Rand6. 1 entrants total.
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 -- MB-998CF17881B0AADD - Taken by Blu(e). 4 entrants total.
Neighbours From Hell Compilation -- MB-FD269580186D0893 - Taken by Catshade. 1 entrants total.
Starseed Pilgrim -- MB-23709E1A1B112051
Populous -- MB-F07526A816F6DE4E
Mirrors Edge -- MB-2DF65BD0D3127658 - Taken by Belgarion. 1 entrants total.
Fez -- MB-9BBAC70912D28956 - Taken by Naked Snake. 3 entrants total.

t1419073726z1.png

Giving away a few keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom