• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lili: Child of Geos - €3.59
Apparently the gameplay is relatively basic, but for this price it looks good enough to give a go.

The Desolate Hope - €0.99
Just look at those videos. I don't know if I'll enjoy playing it, but it just looks utterly baffling in a weird retro 90's way that's simultaneously awesome and trashy.

One Finger Death Punch - €2.49
Greg Kasavin can't stop recommending it. It's also the top 2 user reviewed game on Steam. 99% of 4,764 users. So I guess it's probably ok.

Don't forget to buy McPixel for €0.79. It's a stupid, silly game.

All the apprehensiveness about Arkham Origins is silly. It's $5 and holds its own against the first two games. My only issue was that it seemed a little short. Buy it-- this is what Steam sales are all about.

It's been this way ever since the game was announced without the names Rocksteady, Paul Dini, Kevin Conroy, or Mark Hamill attached to it.

grimmiq

Couldn't help but buy Valkyria Chronicles, I enjoyed the first but never got around to finishing it..finished the 2nd one on my Vita though.

I picked up Valkyria Chronicles. Not usually my style of game to buy but the WW2-like setting kind of interested me. A very well-received game I take it?

Choosing Skyrim over VC
T40aPn8.gif

Nothing.
Though I might as well ask what's wrong with you... though I think I already know based on that Reggie gif.

Skyrim is a better game to get, especially at that price.

Agreed.
Skyrim will easily last you over 100 hours if you're interested in what it has to offer (not to mention the mods).

VC, on the other hand, is an anime SRPG... I'm sure it's a solid game if you're into that sorta thing, but since I'm not, it's a "buy this game so SEGA will be convinced to port last-gen games that actually matter to me to PC"+1. :p

SEGA, I'm waiting on Vanquish and Bayonetta, in that order. :3

To be fair, a modded Skyrim is a glorious thing, and VC can probably go lower in price.

Truth.
Until it's had a price drop and hits 75% off, odds are it can go lower.

I don't think making good choices means there's anything wrong with him. Posting gifs asking what's wrong with him starring Reggie on the other hand... WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?

Even if they had just dropped the price 10 or 25 percent, they would be increasing their revenue exponentially.

The majority of sales come from being featured on the front page of Steam. Time and time again we have seen data points showing that getting onto the front page of Steam is what brings in the money.

Shovel Knight isn't getting on the front page of Steam.

That's true. But if they're happy with their revenue and want to honor the support of those who backed the Kickstarter or bought the game in it's first 6 months at retail at full price, this is a great move.

Putting a game on sale starts a very slippery slope of "it's not cheap enough yet" combined with "why isn't it cheap enough yet?". That is -- if you put your game on sale for 25% off, people will wait until it's 33% off. And when people see it at 33% off? They'll wait for 40% and 50% and so on.

With all the times some of these games have been on sale (Alan Wake) or bundled, who will ever pay full price for them ever again? Once they cross that line and put it on sale, there's no going back.

I picked up Valkyria Chronicles. Not usually my style of game to buy but the WW2-like setting kind of interested me. A very well-received game I take it?

Generally speaking, most people think of it as an under appreciated PS3 classic. With Folklore by it's side.
However with it's art style and game play, I don't think it's one of those games that's going to win over people who had no interest in the genre to begin with (hi!).

Teeth

I only have like 10 games that I actually want to play that are left untouched.

Then there's nothing to worry about!

Even if they had just dropped the price 10 or 25 percent, they would be increasing their revenue exponentially.

The majority of sales come from being featured on the front page of Steam. Time and time again we have seen data points showing that getting onto the front page of Steam is what brings in the money.

That money isn't going anywhere though. There's a finite market for any game, the customers don't disappear if the can't get the game soon enough, especially something as timeless as a retro platformer.

The longer they hold out the more they can frustrate into buying in at full price. It's not particularly expensive to begin with. If someone's line is $10, they'll still be around in a year to pick it up.

Additionally, being top of the charts as a smaller game during the biggest sales doesn't help as much. Competing with the broad appeal games with big budgets is sort of pointless. See Chubigan's blog post on sales of CSD for evidence.

Additionally, I wouldn't be surprised if they are waiting for a few Game of the Year noms/wins to give a nice Christmas boost. At full price no less.

Jintor

I don't even know why I'm buying things, I can't fucking run anything on this laptop. I am planning to get a new PC in Jan so I guess I'm... stockpiling... ugh

I'll bite on Mordor for $30, but hoping for $20 :(

Generally speaking, most people think of it as an under appreciated PS3 classic. With Folklore by it's side.
However with it's art style and game play, I don't think it's one of those games that's going to win over people who had no interest in the genre to begin with (hi!).

I'm open to new things, story and setting can often win me over regardless of gameplay.

Then there's nothing to worry about!

That money isn't going anywhere though. There's a finite market for any game, the customers don't disappear if the can't get the game soon enough, especially something as timeless as a retro platformer.

The longer they hold out the more they can frustrate into buying in at full price. It's not particularly expensive to begin with. If someone's line is $10, they'll still be around in a year to pick it up.

Additionally, being top of the charts as a smaller game during the biggest sales doesn't help as much. Competing with the broad appeal games with big budgets is sort of pointless. See Chubigan's blog post on sales of CSD for evidence.

Additionally, I wouldn't be surprised if they are waiting for a few Game of the Year noms/wins to give a nice Christmas boost. At full price no less.

Exactly. I like you. Gold stars and CF points for you! :3

Seriously, though... there's no reason for them to move their game to a sale price unless sales are stagnant and they're moving nothing. If they're happy with whatever traffic they're getting, there's no reason to discount...

I don't even know why I'm buying things, I can't fucking run anything on this laptop. I am planning to get a new PC in Jan so I guess I'm... stockpiling... ugh

I could wear I saw somewhere selling it for $15 in my email earlier, but it may have been a key reseller.

Either way, wait for that daily. :D

Jirotrom

Gaf I present to you a game for the daring:
Steam Sale Rullete
Buy everything on your wish list that's discounted (more than 50% may be a rule), at the end of the sale there will be a draft to see who picks up the tag amongst the group.
Enjoy *muwahahah*
I have 140 games in my wish list, so nah

Arkham Origins wasn't thaaaat bad. $4.99 is a great price for it, if you liked the others.

It's not bad. If you liked the other arkham games at all, it's worth the price.

Even though I know there'll be a deluge of posts saying Arkham Asylum is better because it's "tighter" and "more focused," I'll say it anyway: Origins is like a big expansion for Arkham City, slightly better in a few ways, somewhat worse overall, and is therefore a better game than Asylum.

sleepykyo

Pretty sure I saw it at either 20 or 20.39 around Black Friday on multiple sites. Same with Woflenstein and Evil Withing and they're already appearing at that price on Greenmangaming. So pretty sure it'll happen again this season.

Chucker

I know they made a good amount from the KS, and probably decent enough money from the actual release. Along with the upcoming Sony releases, I guess they feel they've done enough and can keep the price steady for a great game. I know I paid full price and enjoyed every minute.

Rust is similar to this, where the devs specifically said they won't put it on sale until it's out of Early Access.

Teeth

It's not bad. If you liked the other arkham games at all, it's worth the price.

Even though I know there'll be a deluge of posts saying Arkham Asylum is better because it's "tighter" and "more focused," I'll say it anyway: Origins is like a big expansion for Arkham City, slightly better in a few ways, somewhat worse overall, and is therefore a better game than Asylum.

Hey, stop stealing my words.

cicero

I think that's as low as it'll go. 75% off a base of $20 is what Asylum and City are at as well.

I believe that Nuuvem had it cheaper during the Autumn sale.

Door Kickers, having not played it a lot at all. Broforce didn't really click with me.
Broforce is fun, but the levels got boring for me after a while. Door Kickers at least looks interesting from the trailer.

Thanks. I was already leaning in that direction and you both gave me the necessary nudge I needed to push me over the edge.

The #1 reason I'd get Skyrim over Valkyria is that Skyrim doesn't feature RNG fuckery and I'm reloading saves just so maybe this time around the sniper won't miss.

zlatko

Banned
Would anyone have some games on my wish list we could tradesies for and I have Ryse for Xbox 1 code ?

Ideally I'd like Ultra Street Fighter 4 as a direct trade...

However, I also am interested in Metal Gear Rising Revengance & Transistor together.

Revengance with another game would probably be a good swap. PM me.

Sch1sm

Bit on Revengeance. Wish I picked up Injustice but I assume it'll be back in the encore and grab it then. Not sure about Batman. I haven't played any of them. Should I bother, is it worth it? Do they have to be played in any specific order or can I just choose the best of the Arkham series and run with it?

Teeth

Bit on Revengeance. Wish I picked up Injustice but I assume it'll be back in the encore and grab it then. Not sure about Batman. I haven't played any of them. Should I bother, is it worth it? Do they have to be played in any specific order or can I just choose the best of the Arkham series and run with it?

You should buy Asylum, play it, and if you like it, get City in the next sale. At that point, decide whether you want Origins in the sale after that.

zlatko

Banned
Got Revengance on my own. Too great of a price, AND I already had over $3.00 in my steam wallet just hanging out thanks to Dota items I sold long ago haha.

Welp... I want to trade out Ryse XB1 code for Ultra Street Fighter 4, or other offers are welcome.

Reply here or PM me.

Uthred

I dont quite follow here, its art style is fairly unique, cant think of any other game that has that watercolours look?

Tizoc

Marlow Briggs is $0.99. Is it worth the price, guys?

Most def. It makes God of War look like shit too I mean just take a look at this
Click on or open in new tab for hi res said:

...and these impressions should be enough to seal the deal
Oh man, this game. THIS GAME.
Just played it for a couple of hours (at 123 Hz/FPS no less). Plays really well, provides non-stop action and true heroics, and crucially realizes perfectly well just how silly these games are.

Now, if only there was a conveniently placed gun for me to take out these choppers with.

Stump said:
Not even the DC and Marvel universes combined can match Marlow Briggs

JaseC said:
I actually put 10 minutes into playing this game. 11/10 would try again while waiting for UPlay to update

Derrick01 said:

Is Rome II pretty much fixed?

Based on previous posts, its performance is good now.

Braag

Lords of the Fallen, I've wanted to try this game. It's 50% off but I'm gonna wait and see if goes on a daily sale.

Whys does Activision keep removing some of their games from Steam :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom