• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

akira28

So, is there any way to buy DLC without the game? I want to buy some tracks from the original Rocksmith to play in V2014 but Steam won't let me buy them without the original.

There's a whole lot of bullshit you gotta do to play the old songs on the new game.

Least of which you need to own both games, and then you have to buy a 10 dollar conversion module from UIbisoft that can make the older versions compatible with Rocksmith 2014.

Jintor

Deus Ex GOTY is pretty cheap now at 1.74€. I know a lot of people love it, but is it really as playable today? I remember trying it out some years ago, and I remember how sluggish I found it. The character seemed to move so slowly. Maybe you can upgrade your speed or something later in the game? I really want to like it.

It's absolutely playable today.

I think you can get speed boosts, but by the time you can get them you probably don't really want 'em cos you're used to playing stealthy-like

NEO0MJ

Buy them as a gift and keep them in your inventory? I think it works.

Maybe I should try this with one song and see if it works.

There's a whole lot of bullshit you gotta do to play the old songs on the new game.

Least of which you need to own both games, and then you have to buy a 10 dollar conversion module from UIbisoft that can make the older versions compatible with Rocksmith 2014.

I thought you only had to buy that to transfer songs from the original game, not the DLC ones? If true hat sucks.

And this sold me....buying it at the current price.

One of my best experiences with tactical games was spending well over an hour setting up a lengthy and systematic tactical sweep of a facility in R6. I took the role of a sniper on a nearby vantage point, and laid out tons of waypoints for three separate teams, all choreographed carefully, having teams move stealthily to get into various positions, entering rooms from opposite doors, clearing one area then setting up to cover another team who would be sweeping nearby...just tons of stuff that was rather tricky to arrange in the game's system.
Then we went into the mission....

turns out all the interior walls were glass.

One of the greatest total failures I've ever enjoyed.

You are gonna love this game, love it. It's basically a fully refined version of the waypoint tactical planning system from Rainbow Six man, top down rts with pause style but there's direct control through the mouse where you "paint" paths, actions, and you can change direction(or have them strafe move, flash bang and clear rooms, set up breaching charges, use Door busters, etc) or have guys cover dudes(a lot of the time they'll do it automatically).

I spent 45+ minutes preplanning all my units movements and actions on the Cartel Beach level in Door Kickers only to watch half my squad get killed on the beach and then as soon as my other squad breached they ran into 4 guys with Mac 10s and they tore them to shreds.

BTW, I discovered you can edit the names/portraits/nicknames for your soldiers just like in Xcom! Man this fucking game!

The movement system is extremely detailed, you can basically paint out an entire tactical plan, press play and the game will run your plan.

Success varies obviously, as this game doesn't fuck around at all. It's the real deal and anyone craving old tactical simulation shooter games like Delta Force or Rainbow Six will absolutely love this title.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
All of these still have the potential to drop further, right?

Door kickers (40%), South park (40%), spintires (33%), blaze rush (25%)

Embearded

This beggar just messaged me on Steam, saying that he is from Algeria and that it's hard there to get a credit card, so he wanted me to gift him a game. He says he got his 157 games buy begging.....
Anyone from Algeria who can confirm his story?

P.S: his profile says he is from GB...

GFmiWc6.png

Dingotech

This beggar just messaged me on Steam, saying that he is from Algeria and that it's hard there to get a credit card, so he wanted me to gift him a game. He says he got his 157 games buy begging.....

He's just a scam artist, you already gave him way too much of your time.

Tizoc

So, is there any way to buy DLC without the game? I want to buy some tracks from the original Rocksmith to play in V2014 but Steam won't let me buy them without the original.

Buy them as gifts and keep them in your inventory?

cHinzo

Definitely a scam. They are getting creative. :d

Hope there will at least be a 33% discount for the new Lara Croft. Prolly also gonna buy a new copy of CS:GO.

velociraptor

What is the consensus on Borderlands Pre-Sequel?

It does bother me how many games have DLC which outprices the main game too. £25 for a season pass? lolwut

Danielsan

Have to say I'm pretty happy with the sale being disappointing thus far. At least I'm saving money and not expanding my backlog to an even crazier size. I've only picked up The Fall (in the auction) and Metal Gear Rising for now.

Wow. No shame.

Madouu

Dz is for djazayr so yes he is probably Algerian (also from his English). Not necessarily a scam artist, maybe just some young kid that wants games. I can confirm that it's pretty hard to get credit cards there, I grew up in Morocco and it's pretty similar.

Could be a scammer too so just ignore him to stay on the safe side of things. Or maybe tell him to "koune te7chem chwia", he'll understand.

Videospel

Dz is for djazayr so yes he is probably Algerian. Not necessarily a scam artist, maybe just some young kid that wants games. I can confirm that it's pretty hard to get credit cards there, I grew up in Morocco and it's pretty similar.

Could be a scammer too so just ignore him.

Scammer or "honest" beggar, what's the difference really.

Tizoc

Thanks for the heads up. Will avoid it like the plague.

If I had said 'a well regarded member of SteamGAF likes it', would you had considered getting it? :V

It isn't a bad game at all, it's not typical NG fare, but if you want a short action game with colorful presentation, this is one to check out.

eot

Banned
Deus Ex GOTY is pretty cheap now at 1.74€. I know a lot of people love it, but is it really as playable today? I remember trying it out some years ago, and I remember how sluggish I found it. The character seemed to move so slowly. Maybe you can upgrade your speed or something later in the game? I really want to like it.

Yes it's playable! You're right it's a bit slow, but that comes down it it mostly being a stealth game. And yes you can upgrade your speed to the point where you're way faster than regular FPSes.

Yrael

I hope all of these work (they should do):

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Yrael, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

GIGANTIC ARMY -- MB-6D957B3E60D9DE3E - Taken by ThoughtsOfSpeaking. 12 entrants total.
Tower of Guns -- MB-FE71D8607722DBE2 - Taken by kurahador. 9 entrants total.
OlliOlli -- MB-0C9ED00BEFF03DD3 - Taken by gimel. 17 entrants total.
Viking: Battle for Asgard -- MB-52DAB1E7F2ACFF7B - Taken by spindoctor. 15 entrants total.
Company of Heroes 2, The Western Front Armies: Oberkommando West -- MB-087D33CA0815CCA3 - Taken by roadrunn3r. 2 entrants total.
Total War: ROME II, Caesar in Gaul (DLC: requires base game) -- MB-2E5A8BE70C01A179
One Way Heroics -- MB-AE707B98DAB655F2 - Taken by Dingotech. 5 entrants total.
The Book of Unwritten Tales -- MB-DEBD6B4A7661EAFD - Taken by darkchewie. 6 entrants total.
Empire: Total War -- MB-59C805B119BD78DE - Taken by Boss Doggie. 6 entrants total.

t1419087769z1.png

Shaneus

Didn't see much of a mention here, but Hammerwatch is $1.50 today (for another 18 hours or so). I can only comment on the beta, but that in itself was worth at least $1.50. Great little (classic) Gauntlet-esque title!

I'm doubtful about the rest, but Spintires was much cheaper during the Thanskgiving sale, so that seems likely to drop further.

Edit: Spintures was 66% off (i.e. $10.19 / €8.49 / £6.79) on the 27th of November.

If I had said 'a well regarded member of SteamGAF likes it', would you had considered getting it? :V

It isn't a bad game at all, it's not typical NG fare, but if you want a short action game with colorful presentation, this is one to check out.

corrosivefrost is a well regarded member! he is awesome! anyone who thinks otherwise is going into my personal enemy list.

derExperte

corrosivefrost is a well regarded member! he is awesome! anyone who thinks otherwise is going into my personal enemy list.

Put me on that list then, he's my gaming-contraindication. Also Yaiba seems to have serious crashing issues, see Steam forum. I might give it a try when it goes down further but no chance for its current price.

JakeD

So even if Spider-Man 2 is a daily, it wont be discounted more than 55% anyway correct? Only way it could be lower is if it went up for a vote again and won (which won't happen.) This new community vote system has me a bit confused.

Tizoc

Yaiba never crashed on my laptop >_>;
...and this is one that can run Mordor at High Settings with 30 FPS lock really well.

Durante

Put me on that list then, he's my gaming-contraindication. Also Yaiba seems to have serious crashing issues, see Steam forum. I might give it a try when it goes down further but no chance for its current price.
That's a very civilized way of saying that he has terrible taste :p

MUnited83

For you.
So even if Spider-Man 2 is a daily, it wont be discounted more than 55% anyway correct? Only way it could be lower is if it went up for a vote again and won (which won't happen.) This new community vote system has me a bit confused.

Nah, if it gets a daily it will have the discount it would have if it won the vote. Wouldn't really make sense any other way.

pahamrick

I won Yaiba from a raffle by Frosty. I think the only time it crashed was when I ALT+TABBED to check something, Yaiba was good fun.

Manik

Doorkickers has already been in a flash sale, I believe, for 50% off, so doubt it'll fall any lower than that.

shaowebb

Been browsing the catalog to see if there were games I hadn't heard of that were any good on sale. Found one that is amazing if you are a fan of Megaman, Cave Story and Super Metroid.

Rex Rocket

currently $6.99 and worth full price IMO. Platforming is a mix of Cave Story and Super Metroid and a lot of Megaman inspired boss fights and Megaman X robot mech stuff is in this. And the soundtrack is pure chiptune joy.

hVaiPYJ.gif

5C1CKw3.gif

xq34YET.gif

bvN7CtB.gif

5AtPQKt.gif

Freezard

Nothing for me yet. Just buying games on my wishlist nowadays and the only well discounted game is Duke Nukem Forever but it's pretty expensive despite 82% off (and it was the same during the fall sale >_>).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom