• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyougar

man, the sales thread sure is slow for a big steam sale. I remember (in my time!) times where we had full new threads every day!

Is the non-event responsible? Or the Russian ban? Even the posts in community are barebones.

RM8

They did this with Deadpool, game came out and few months later it's not available digitally anymore.
Glad I bought The Legend of Korra, then. I've never watched the show, but it's a cheap character action game, and some people seem to like it on Steam :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Legend of Korra is $10 for a few hours only, grab it quick in case Acti de-lists from Steam and other services

I'd say what remains of Acti's licensed stuff is safe for another year. Credit where credit is due, too: the three casualties were all 80% off for a full week just a couple of weeks ago.

They did this with Deadpool, game came out and few months later it's not available digitally anymore.

Deadpool was available for almost seven months. 007 Legends, though, was pulled literally just two months after it hit the PC (the console versions released two weeks earlier for some reason).

MUnited83

For you.
Legend of Korra is $10 for a few hours only, grab it quick in case Acti de-lists from Steam and other services

Eh, at this point I think nothing will happen. I think they removed all they are removing this year at the same time (Family Guy, Walking Dead, Ice Age). And they also would put it on a bigger sale if they were removing it imo. That and apparently Activision has deals with Nickolodeon for other games.

Burt

Been browsing the catalog to see if there were games I hadn't heard of that were any good on sale. Found one that is amazing if you are a fan of Megaman, Cave Story and Super Metroid.

Rex Rocket

currently $6.99 and worth full price IMO. Platforming is a mix of Cave Story and Super Metroid and a lot of Megaman inspired boss fights and Megaman X robot mech stuff is in this. And the soundtrack is pure chiptune joy.

hVaiPYJ.gif

5C1CKw3.gif

xq34YET.gif

bvN7CtB.gif

5AtPQKt.gif
Quoting this because it's so true. Game is a spectacular romp.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
There are so many Batman games on steam for 5 dollars? Which ones to get? Game of the year editions or not?

Arkham Origins: Blackgate deluxe edition
Arkham Origins
Arkham City GOTY
Arkham Asylum GOTY

Whats the order story wise as well? Will you able to interact with Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl etc?

Asylum is my favorite. Very Metroid like. I enjoyed City, too, but ignored most of the open world stuff. It's too overwhelming and boring. Never played Origins. I'll wait for the $5 GOTY.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Best to be safe than sorry =X

That's true. I went digging a bit yesterday and found that of Acti's remaining licensed stuff all I need are a couple of TASM 2 costumes, so I'll snap those up before the sale is over, regardless of whether or not the game is discounted further (they're only $1.50 each at the moment).

Moltenix

Thinking of grabbing Valkyria Chronicles and/or Wolfenstein from GMG. Push me over the fence guys.

First time hearing about VC but seems fun. Never played anything like it but I do like games like Fire Emblem and Advance Wars. Is this kind of similar (aside from movement not being on a grid)? Also been craving a shooter lately and not too big into online multiplayer so Wolfenstein seems right up my alley.

Burt

Dat art doe. I realized I don't like most chibi art :/

I'm not sure if that's even considered chibi, but the player's character is too cuteified/deformed for me.
Eh, I never actually looked at it as chibi stuff. Always kinda thought of it as Legos. But, I see where you're coming from, even though i love it.

Jintor

Bit the bullet on the Nuuvem link. Can't even play the game for another month or so but ahhhh i'm stupid

At least it was paypal money, which to my mind, doesn't actually exist

Eh, I never actually looked at it as chibi stuff. Always kinda thought of it as Legos. But, I see where you're coming from, even though i love it.

Now that you say it, he does look like a Lego character to me... I was never into Legos though so I'm not surprised it still doesn't appeal to me.

Gotta say gameplay looks great though.

okay GAF, ive got only $50 USD to spend on this sale, let me know if ($13)MSGV:GZ, ($5)Batman Arkham Origins Season Pass, and ($5)MGR are worth it?

Zimbardo

Has anyone tried depth?

yeah, i bought it on day1 and its quite fun. the player population was kinda low with usually only around 80 players at any given time ...but since the Steam Xmas sale, its seen a nice bump in players with around 700+ at the moment.

the devs also released a free content update a few days ago which added mod tools, around 3 extra shark species, and a new game mode ...which are all welcome and good to have. hopefully the community can make good use of the mod tools and create some interesting things.

anyway, i enjoy it and feel at $16 its worth it if you're interested in divers vs sharks gameplay.

tsab

okay GAF, ive got only $50 USD to spend on this sale, let me know if ($13)MSGV:GZ, ($5)Batman Arkham Origins Season Pass, and ($5)MGR are worth it?

Both metal gear are worth it. I haven't played yet batman origins so I don't know about the season pass

Edit:although MGSV:GZ has huge replayability you may don't want to spend 13$ for a glorified big demo

Hanzou

Bit the bullet on the Nuuvem link. Can't even play the game for another month or so but ahhhh i'm stupid

At least it was paypal money, which to my mind, doesn't actually exist
Which link? Also I'm passed I missed the Monaco flash. Was going to pick it up for my brother to play some coop together. Argh!

NEO0MJ

Metal Gear is so worth it. Not sure about MGSV but if you want it you can save $3 by buying it from GMG and using the 20% off code.

Anteater

MGR is worth playing if you enjoy games like dmc, ninja gaiden, etc, game's dlcs let you play as 2 other characters even though they're a bit short, but those and the main campaign should give you enough replay value and give you plenty of hours of game time, even though I don't think it's as polished as the other action titles (likely due to short development time) it's fun.

MGR is definitely worth it, that price is insane. Amazing game and you get all the DLC with it.

Both metal gear are worth it. I haven't played yet batman origins so I don't know about the season pass

Metal Gear is so worth it. Not sure about MGSV but if you want it you can save $3 by buying it from GMG and using the 20% off code.

MGR is worth playing if you enjoy games like dmc, ninja gaiden, etc, game's dlcs let you play as 2 other characters even though they're a bit short, but those and the main campaign should give you enough replay value and give you plenty of hours of game time, even though I don't think it's as polished as the other action titles (likely due to short development time) it's fun.
Thanks all. Since I've only got Steam wallet funds available for this sale, I can't get MGSV:GZ on GMG or Nuuvem, only way I'll get it at those better prices is if someone is willing to trade me the Steam Key for a similarly priced set of steam- game(s) via gift.

MUnited83

For you.
There are so many Batman games on steam for 5 dollars? Which ones to get? Game of the year editions or not?

Arkham Origins
Arkham City GOTY
Arkham Asylum GOTY

Whats the order story wise as well? Will you able to interact with Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl etc?

Buy everything but Blackgate. All the others are great, especially Origins.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (efyu_lemonardo, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Viking: Battle for Asgard -- MB-44BCCDD4B1FE0F30 - Taken by Tormilet. 11 entrants total.
Dreamcast Collection -- MB-C0D04DC4AB577030 - Taken by Mr. Doop. 17 entrants total.
Total War: ROME II - Caesar in Gaul (DLC) -- MB-C6D3C991C2E8592D - Taken by earvcunanan. 1 entrants total.
Must own base game to play
Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine -- MB-D74BA67694D55102 - Taken by Avinexus. 5 entrants total.
Company of Heroes 2 - The Western Front Armies: Oberkommando West -- MB-AC99E5A1F573220A - Taken by <parameter: string>. 2 entrants total.
NiGHTS Into Dreams -- MB-6779B4283FCD8A22 - Taken by Relaxed Muscle. 11 entrants total.
Empire: Total War -- MB-42AB2E05729E841C - Taken by JMFangio. 11 entrants total.

t1419178249z1.png

kurahador

Arkham Origins
Arkham City GOTY
Arkham Asylum GOTY

Just buy them all.

Play Asylum first, then Origins and Blackgate, then City last.
City will make you tire of the formula so bad that if you play it first, you'll hate the rest of the franchise.

Arkham Origins
Arkham City GOTY
Arkham Asylum GOTY

I'd recommend picking up Arkham Asylum and Arkham City and then waiting for Arkham Knight.
The order story wise is Arkham Origins, Arkham Origins: Blackgate, Arkham Asylum and then Arkham City, AO and AO:B aren't needed to understand the story though since they were made after Arkham Asylum and Arkham City.

Have fun! AA and AC are fantastic games! I've put about around fifty hours into both games.

Thinking of grabbing Valkyria Chronicles and/or Wolfenstein from GMG. Push me over the fence guys.

First time hearing about VC but seems fun. Never played anything like it but I do like games like Fire Emblem and Advance Wars. Is this kind of similar (aside from movement not being on a grid)? Also been craving a shooter lately and not too big into online multiplayer so Wolfenstein seems right up my alley.

VC is incredibly fun, especially if you like Fire Emblem and Advance Wars. :)

yeah, i bought it on day1 and its quite fun. the player population was kinda low with usually only around 80 players at any given time ...but since the Steam Xmas sale, its seen a nice bump in players with around 700+ at the moment.

the devs also released a free content update a few days ago which added mod tools, around 3 extra shark species, and a new game mode ...which are all welcome and good to have. hopefully the community can make good use of the mod tools and create some interesting things.

anyway, i enjoy it and feel at $16 its worth it if you're interested in divers vs sharks gameplay.

Thank you, I'll give it a whirl.

Momentary

Banned
man, the sales thread sure is slow for a big steam sale. I remember (in my time!) times where we had full new threads every day!

Is the non-event responsible? Or the Russian ban? Even the posts in community are barebones.

People are posting on 3 different Steam Topics at one time.

pahamrick

Arkham City is amazing. Improves upon Asylum, also a great game, in many ways. Haven't played Origins.

I loved all three, haven't played Blackgate yet though. Heard lots of negative things, but a friend enjoyed it and said it was worth the $5 he paid for it.

I'd have to rank them Asylum > Origins > City.

bigace33

I'm loving Flight Simulator X. So glad it's available now after MS dropped the series.

Asylum and City are the ones to get. Two of the best games of the generation. You can skip the other two.

There is a serious case to be made that Origins is the best of the three games. Definitely from an action stand point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom