• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Deus Ex GOTY is pretty cheap now at 1.74€. I know a lot of people love it, but is it really as playable today? I remember trying it out some years ago, and I remember how sluggish I found it. The character seemed to move so slowly. Maybe you can upgrade your speed or something later in the game? I really want to like it.

Something like System Shock 2, Thief II, or Deus Ex are still considered some of the best games of all time, and are very playable today. I played System Shock 2 for the first time very recently and I was blown away not only by the shear quality of the game, but by how much I personally enjoyed it.

It just depends on you. These games aren't designed to hold your hand, but for you to use some rational thought and puzzle out the solutions to the problems the game puts in your lap. Prepare for a bit of a learning curve as your brain wakes up out of the Assassin's Creed and Skyrim-induced stupor.

All three of the games I listed also have awesome modding communities. All three have massive fidelity overhauls, along with plenty of other modding choices. Here is System Shock 2 after all the mods.

82769BBDB809EEBFCB641940F364B2BC096AAD47

LeleSocho

Banned
My wallet is limited and i only need Ultra Street Fighter 4 to be one single € cheaper within the next 28 hours so i can complete my shopping time this year... come on Steam don't betray me now :/

Momentary

Banned
Been browsing the catalog to see if there were games I hadn't heard of that were any good on sale. Found one that is amazing if you are a fan of Megaman, Cave Story and Super Metroid.

Rex Rocket

currently $6.99 and worth full price IMO. Platforming is a mix of Cave Story and Super Metroid and a lot of Megaman inspired boss fights and Megaman X robot mech stuff is in this. And the soundtrack is pure chiptune joy.
]

It's on my wishlist waiting for it to get put on a daily or for the last day of the sale.

shaowebb

It's on my wishlist waiting for it to get put on a daily or for the last day of the sale.

Good man. I couldn't wait and pulled the trigger. No regrets...I'm thinking about donating cash to Castle Pixel to further support them after this. Game is incredible.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Yrael, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Yrael, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

GIGANTIC ARMY -- MB-6D957B3E60D9DE3E - Taken by ThoughtsOfSpeaking. 12 entrants total.
Tower of Guns -- MB-FE71D8607722DBE2 - Taken by kurahador. 9 entrants total.
OlliOlli -- MB-0C9ED00BEFF03DD3 - Taken by gimel. 17 entrants total.
Viking: Battle for Asgard -- MB-52DAB1E7F2ACFF7B - Taken by spindoctor. 15 entrants total.
Company of Heroes 2, The Western Front Armies: Oberkommando West -- MB-087D33CA0815CCA3 - Taken by roadrunn3r. 2 entrants total.
Total War: ROME II, Caesar in Gaul (DLC: requires base game) -- MB-2E5A8BE70C01A179
One Way Heroics -- MB-AE707B98DAB655F2 - Taken by Dingotech. 5 entrants total.
The Book of Unwritten Tales -- MB-DEBD6B4A7661EAFD - Taken by darkchewie. 6 entrants total.
Empire: Total War -- MB-59C805B119BD78DE - Taken by Boss Doggie. 6 entrants total.

t1419087769z1.png

shaowebb

Also for those looking for more old school greatness I cannot help but quote something I've been touting since it came out...Freedom Planet is one of the best games I have EVER played and everyone should own it. Its up there for my Game of the Year pick this year right alongside Smash Bros and Hyrule Warriors.

Currently 50% off for 7.49 on steam

DMuebVD.gif

shaowebb said:
Freedom Planet

I expected "classic Sonic" ...I got "classic Sonic with Sat AM style characterization, 3 different playthroughs each having their own very different feel due to combat differences/mobility options, and boss fights so technically demanding I put them up there with some of the shit in Godhand".

BUY THIS FUCKING GAME PEOPLE. Its literally BETTER than the classic Sonic the Hedgehog titles we grew up with. Its a worthy successor and then some.

Also the soundtrack is one of the best classic style game soundtracks I have ever heard in my life. In addition to all of this the level designs are some of the most memorable of any game I've ever played. The fun stuff you can do in the mall themed level and Chinese New Year themed festival stages in particular were brilliant. And you even find easter egg animations all the time. I've hidden in restrooms but if I hid in the men's room by mistake I'd get thrown out and get a speed boost, I've sat on benches that were nearby and when your characters stand near disco balls in one stage they dance!

sCnM8fW.gif

Freedom Planet > Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2, 3, & Knuckles

NEO0MJ

Also for those looking for more old school greatness I cannot help but quote something I've been touting since it came out...Freedom Planet is one of the best games I have EVER played and everyone should own it. Its up there for my Game of the Year pick this year right alongside Smash Bros and Hyrule Warriors

I'm waiting for the daily deal/etc on this before buying it. If that doesn't happen I'll pick it up on the last day.

Is DMC Definitive edition coming to PC?

Nothing official came out on that. I hope it's not a similar case to Tomb Raider where the PC crowd isn't given the updated version.

Iztli

Heads up!

I just bought Shadow Of Mordor from Nuuvem for $17.37

It activated on steam without any problems. Payed with pay pal

Grief.exe

Is DMC Definitive edition coming to PC?

Capcom hasn't mentioned a PC version for either DMC4 or DMC Remasters.

We might see an upgrade path to a new sub, IE Capcom may provide a discount for current owners. As with the majority of remasters, the PC version represents a reduced value as we are already capable of rendering these games well past 1080p and 60 FPS.

I'm liking these sales. I'm convincing everyone I know to buy Hexcells.

I'm spending under my trading card change until the last day of the sale and I've already bought 6 games. I love the bottom barrel stuff, it's so surprising.

I'm waiting for the daily deal/etc on this before buying it. If that doesn't happen I'll pick it up on the last day.

Nothing official came out on that. I hope it's not a similar case to Tomb Raider where the PC crowd isn't given the updated version.

Same.

After trying the demo, I liked it, but didn't love it. £3 is my "jump in regardless" point. Its not even that £5 isn't cheap, but ive bought so much these last few weeks that my wallet is stretched.

ExoSoul

Banned
Can a Eurogafian/Portugafian help me buy Metal Gear Rising before it goes out of sale?
I wasn't able to go out today to buy a card in time. If you do me this favour within the next few days I'll give you a 5€ code. There's a marginal profit of 1€ in it for you.
Ramblings of a desperate man.
Sorry for the repost

Zapages

There are so many Batman games on steam for 5 dollars? Which ones to get? Game of the year editions or not?

Arkham Origins: Blackgate deluxe edition
Arkham Origins
Arkham City GOTY
Arkham Asylum GOTY

Whats the order story wise as well? Will you able to interact with Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl etc?

Been browsing the catalog to see if there were games I hadn't heard of that were any good on sale. Found one that is amazing if you are a fan of Megaman, Cave Story and Super Metroid.

Rex Rocket

currently $6.99 and worth full price IMO. Platforming is a mix of Cave Story and Super Metroid and a lot of Megaman inspired boss fights and Megaman X robot mech stuff is in this. And the soundtrack is pure chiptune joy.

http://i.imgur.com/hVaiPYJ.gif
http://i.imgur.com/5C1CKw3.gif
http://i.imgur.com/xq34YET.gif
http://i.imgur.com/bvN7CtB.gif
http://i.imgur.com/5AtPQKt.gif

Cool I'll put on my wishlist/wait for the daily/wait for the last day

Teeth

There are so many Batman games on steam for 5 dollars? Which ones to get? Game of the year editions or not?

Arkham Origins
Arkham City GOTY
Arkham Asylum GOTY

Whats the order story wise as well? Will you able to interact with Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl etc?

Arkham Asylum is Batman 1 and is a great action adventure game. No Robin or any other heroes.
Arkham City is Batman 2 and is a great action adventure open world game. Main game has every major villain and bat-hero to interact with. Play as Robin in GOTY dlc. Play as Nightwing only in challenge rooms.
Arkham Origins is Batman 3, but the story is a prequel to Asylum. It is like City but not quite as good. No Robin, B tier villains.
Arkham Origins Blackgate is a port of a 3DS game. Side scroller. Not that great.

Best thing to do: buy Asylum GOTY (it's the only version available), play it, and if you like it, buy City (GOTY in the next sale. Consider Origins from there. Skip Blackgate.

If you only have time for ONE Batman game, I would say to get City, especially if you want to play as Robin (but know that it's a brief section).

Wait, so you get to use a tank the entire time in Valkyria Chronicles? Why didn't anyone tell me? Tanks? TANKS?

WMS19Bo.gif

I don't know if they fixed it yet but running the game at 4k or really high FPS prevents tanks from going uphill.

edit: And later in the game:
you get TWO tanks per mission!

Momentary

Banned
Top 10 Games I want from this sale.

1. Nuclear Throne (Probably not going on sale)
2. Shovel Knight (Probably not going on sale)
3. Freedom Planet
4. Shantae
5. Shadowgate
6. Rex Rocket
7. Escape Goat 2
8. Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming
9. Wings of Vi
10. The Journey Down Chapter 2

Mogwai

Arkham Asylum is Batman 1 and is a great action adventure game. No Robin or any other heroes.
Arkham City is Batman 2 and is a great action adventure open world game. Main game has every major villain and bat-hero to interact with. Play as Robin in GOTY dlc. Play as Nightwing only in challenge rooms.
Arkham Origins is Batman 3, but the story is a prequel to Asylum. It is like City but not quite as good. No Robin, B tier villains.
Arkham Origins Blackgate is a port of a 3DS game. Side scroller. Not that great.

Best thing to do: buy Asylum GOTY (it's the only version available), play it, and if you like it, buy City (GOTY in the next sale. Consider Origins from there. Skip Blackgate.

If you only have time for ONE Batman game, I would say to get City, especially if you want to play as Robin (but know that it's a brief section).
Well, to keep credit where it's due. Origins actually have some A tier villains.

Double

Can a Eurogafian/Portugafian help me buy Metal Gear Rising before it goes out of sale?
I wasn't able to go out today to buy a card in time. If you do me this favour within the next few days I'll give you a 5€ code. There's a marginal profit of 1€ in it for you.
Ramblings of a desperate man.
Sorry for the repost
Problem is, I think I will get locked out of the market with the code? Never used a steam code card.

Teeth

Well, to keep credit where it's due. Origins actually have some A tier villains.

A couple, yeah, but they are all the returning ones. Of the new ones, Black Mask is pretty low A tier and I barely consider Deathstroke a Batman villain, even if he is A tier.

I mean, I can't even remember the name of the red ninja woman, and Copperhead is a complete redesign of a barely known character as it is. Cyber is just lame.

But to be honest, it's not really their fault; City had every major character in the Bat universe, there was just table scraps left from there.

I do hope that the rumours are true and that the Deathstroke inclusion is a segue into Warner Montreal getting to do Suicide Squad in the Batman engine in the off years of Rocksteady games.

TheFatMan

I'm really hoping Trails in the Sky gets a bigger discount. What do you think my odds are on that?

This is the first time I've even seen it go on sale, and I'll buy it regardless of if it goes lower or not. But I hate buying a game at 33% off only to see it go 50% a day later.

I'm really hoping Trails in the Sky gets a bigger discount. What do you think my odds are on that?

This is the first time I've even seen it go on sale, and I'll buy it regardless of if it goes lower or not. But I hate buying a game at 33% off only to see it go 50% a day later.

Dailies, wait for 'em. It hit 50 percent off at the GOG sale so it could happen.

Tizoc

Legend of Korra is $10 for a few hours only, grab it quick in case Acti de-lists from Steam and other services

WillyFive

I'm loving Flight Simulator X. So glad it's available now after MS dropped the series.

Arkham Origins
Arkham City GOTY
Arkham Asylum GOTY

Asylum and City are the ones to get. Two of the best games of the generation. You can skip the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom