• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volcynika

I really don't get where the idea that the sale is "bad" is coming from. It seems easily on par with any other Steam sale ever.

I mean, I'm also buying less than I used to, but that's because I already have most of the games I wanted, from kickstarter rewards or bundles or earlier sales or even buying them day 1. That doesn't make the offers worse though.

Same. I have 900 games. Not exactly a wide array of things for me to choose from. I think the sale is pretty usual with some good deals here and there. Just because I don't want them doesn't mean omgitsux

fantomena

I really don't get where the idea that the sale is "bad" is coming from. It seems easily on par with any other Steam sale ever.

I mean, I'm also buying less than I used to, but that's because I already have most of the games I wanted, from kickstarter rewards or bundles or earlier sales or even buying them day 1. That doesn't make the offers worse though.

If a person feels one day with sale is bad for some weird reason it's like the apocalypse.

Lomax

I've been calling this sale "bad" because there's fewer daily/flash deals than in past sales, in spite of the fact that there's massively more games on the store now. So the chance of any non-mainstream title getting a daily is lower than it has ever been. That, to me, makes the sale objectively worse than ever before.

As for individual offers though, you're right, this sale is as good as any other. In fact, we've seen a few deals cheaper than ever before, ACIV and MGR:R both hit record lows this sale and we've only just gotten started.

Burt

So is 7 Days to Die a game yet? I remember hearing that it was really rough at the early stages, but haven't heard much since.

eot

Banned
I'm kinda surprised Insurgency is in the top sellers, considering they were basically giving away infinite keys in the humble bundle the other month.

Some games with GFWL run fine offline or otherwise, but Bulletstorm doesn't. If you can't get logged into GFWL, Bulletstorm won't go past the title screen at all.

so its down to the dev team to fix this fuck-up, which seems to have been on their end. UGH... it's EA... ALL HOPE IT LOST.

This happens every year. People get nostalgic of what the sales were like "in the good old days". But i think this has more to do with back then the games on sale were older and people didn't have hefty steam catalogs of these items already. Also people that say this tend to want 75% off games that came out 1-3 months ago, or ignore games they already own.

Just remember a 75% off 60 game is as good as a 50% off 30 game a year from now

Kadin

For me, I like to find some popular games that friends of mine don't have and pick them up. I like to build up a stash of games and then give them away. So far this sale, I haven't seen much of anything I already own or could want. I just feel the selection so far has been really rather poor. The Community Choice also being only once a day kinda takes away a bit of the thrill of seeing stuff rotate more often.

Anyone who's been on Steam for more than a couple of years will have gotten most of what they want. It just won't feel the same as it did in the beginning, when you were loading up your cart full of classics and superior PC versions of the games you already had.

The key now is to look for and find the hidden gems you may have missed before.

Lomax

so its down to the dev team to fix this fuck-up, which seems to have been on their end. UGH... it's EA... ALL HOPE IT LOST.

Actually it isn't EA, as JaseC said it's up to Epic, who seems to have no interest in doing the conversion. Though they did put the game back on the store and if it has been having some success perhaps that will change.

Spyware

I've been calling this sale "bad" because there's fewer daily/flash deals than in past sales, in spite of the fact that there's massively more games on the store now. So the chance of any non-mainstream title getting a daily is lower than it has ever been. That, to me, makes the sale objectively worse than ever before.

Impossible to say how it's gonna be in the end but when we had more flash/votes/dailies most of the stuff got repeated a lot. Some where even in all three categories. So it looked like a huge amount but it wasn't actually that many.
Maybe that will happen this time too, maybe not, but before we know I wont hate on this sale :p

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Speevy, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 26 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Speevy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Banner Saga -- MB-127AC7A66C64F454 - Taken by AsylumX. 33 entrants total.
Lili: Child of Geos - Complete Edition -- MB-2DD79390F7521F67 - Taken by hardcastlemccormick. 7 entrants total.
Mind: Path to Thalamus -- MB-358776BAC31507A8 - Taken by chronomac. 7 entrants total.
A Story About My Uncle -- MB-70656369A4422051 - Taken by agniswarm. 9 entrants total.
Deadnaut -- MB-C1C379F939356D83 - Taken by pahamrick. 1 entrants total.
Space Run -- MB-61B044E2329C99F0 - Taken by Diedac. 2 entrants total.
Astebreed -- MB-F2BFE51A4924BBBC - Taken by NingenJanai. 8 entrants total.
Kromaia -- MB-7BBF7D957C91A7E6 - Taken by S1n1st3r. 3 entrants total.
LYNE -- MB-7569E2B25E7AB2D9 - Taken by ExoSoul. 4 entrants total.
Onikira - Demon Killer -- MB-DF72990673191049 - Taken by Bayonetta. 2 entrants total.
Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION -- MB-DB724CF9DF01B9DD - Taken by NEO0MJ. 2 entrants total.
KAMUI -- MB-F950A588E71A9FE2 - Taken by gngf123. 2 entrants total.
The Desolate Hope -- MB-3C1E9576ECE3254A - Taken by Teggy. 2 entrants total.
Dungeon of the Endless -- MB-E05401AF259AEF67 - Taken by The Reloader. 4 entrants total.
Salt -- MB-75CC024320DE9153 - Taken by fallout. 4 entrants total.
Freedom Planet -- MB-F992649FAD93DE56 - Taken by Widdly Scuds. 18 entrants total.
Our Darker Purpose -- MB-DF7AF99266765D2D - Taken by DocSeuss. 3 entrants total.
Broforce -- MB-D7547B53D55B0259 - Taken by alr1ght. 17 entrants total.
Doorkickers -- MB-64467163EE3A9693 - Taken by Lain. 13 entrants total.
Fract OSC- -- MB-C4B5B1E37FB4A206 - Taken by NightmareTrigger. 5 entrants total.
Styx: Master of Shadows -- MB-EAAC5A728A8114DD - Taken by spindoctor. 48 entrants total.
Gnomoria -- MB-BE713B4CCBFE7345 - Taken by user237. 1 entrants total.
Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine -- MB-A34D430059F6AE6C - Taken by Hanzou. 1 entrants total.
The Fall -- MB-F55C625E09B6EC6E - Taken by Turfster. 3 entrants total.
Hexcells Bundle -- MB-BDF91AB0B8BA00AE - Taken by salazar547. 8 entrants total.
Pixel Piracy -- MB-8818E571801D3886 - Taken by darkchewie. 1 entrants total.

t1419104624z1.png

Gothos

So is 7 Days to Die a game yet? I remember hearing that it was really rough at the early stages, but haven't heard much since.

+1 to that question. I would like to try a game in that style and this one seems quite interesting. I'm waiting for -75% though :p

El Topo

oh ok thanks

I have to correct myself. It's not just a spiritual sequel, so you might want to play the original games, which were awesome by the way, first. Man, I wish the first two games were on sale, I'd love to play them again, but ~20€ for both seems a bit much.

cicero

Less variety of games on sale from one sale to the next, no meta game, lazy move to have a card drop for every vote which bottomed out the market for holiday cards, reduced selection of games on flash/daily sales every day now. At least for me and my 500 count wishlist, fewer older titles with what should be larger price reductions. I see mostly 33%-50% reductions.

On one hand I bought 2 games already, and spent more than other sales in the same timeframe.

In the other hand I bought the games outside of Steam and considerably cheaper than the Steam prices.

So...I guess that even if Steam discounts suck in you opinion, make sure to check other places. (Yeah, I know, I have money too on my Steam wallet...)

73V3N

Banned
I have to correct myself. It's not just a spiritual sequel, so you might want to play the original games, which were awesome by the way, first. Man, I wish the first two games were on sale, I'd love to play them again, but ~20€ for both seems a bit much.

I feel the same and i feel like they never go on sale.

I'm about to finish the first one (got it on a giveaway thanks to steamgaf :p) and i feel like i will never get the longest journey

Lomax

Impossible to say how it's gonna be in the end but when we had more flash/votes/dailies most of the stuff got repeated a lot. Some where even in all three categories. So it looked like a huge amount but it wasn't actually that many.
Maybe that will happen this time too, maybe not, but before we know I wont hate on this sale :p

Even with no repeats, at best the same number of games will go on sale or only slightly more. The problem is, the number of games on the Steam store more than doubled in the past year. So not scaling the sale up to match that is bad enough, to actually scale the sale down is insane.

Mrbob

If you're interested in Chapters you should really play the other two too. They are amazing games.

Hmm, maybe I'll wait then because the sale on DreamFall and The Longest Journey isn't that great. Too bad those didn't get a bigger discount when DreamFall Chapters went on sale.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Okay I kinda want to play the old ones now.

Do I need both TLJ and Dreamfall: TLJ? Or is it just a remake type of thing?

Do they play well with Windows 8 and modern GPUs?

Should really play both since they are all continuous. Dreamfall is still semi separate from TLJ though, cause it introduced new characters and kept an old one. Im fairly sure if you got it on GOG or something there should be no problems on modern machines.

I'm kinda surprised Insurgency is in the top sellers, considering they were basically giving away infinite keys in the humble bundle the other month.

Because it really, really good. My fave military shooter nowadays.

Word of mouth gets around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom