• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Longest Journey and the Dreamfall games are hybrids between traditional adventure games and the new TellTale style (like the Walking Dead). There is gameplay and puzzles, but the story is largely why you're playing. It is a very story-centric series, and Dreamfall Chapters is no different; in fact, DC has significant Walking Dead-style choice & consequence for your decisions in the game. If you intend to play Chapters, you really ought to play the first two games beforehand.

If you want to see the gameplay for yourself, check out Giant Bomb's Quick Look of Dreamfall Chapters Ep 1. Be warned: they play through a fair chunk of Ep 1, and, contrary to what they say, things are different depending on how you play. (For instance, the entire segment they play through could be entirely different.)

One more thing, Dreamfall Chapters is episodic and only one of the five episodes is currently released. The devs have promised to have it done by the end of 2015.

Thanks, I'll most likely just read/watch summaries of the previous games since they appear to be pretty dated gameplay and visually.

Picked up Rise of Nations, have such fond memories of that game so should be fun

Wish the older Dreamfall games had a better sale on, 20% off is pretty weak

Probably mentioned in the official thread already, but Pinball Arcade is having a flash sale.

99 cents for each set of two tables

- Taxi and Harley Davidson
- White Water and Space Shuttle (or $1.99 for those + White Water Pro)

Not as good as the deal from a few months ago that gave you 3-4 tables for a penny, but 50 cents a table is still nice.

NOTE: You have to purchase the tables IN-GAME

Dreamfall and The Longest Journey are almost always dailies or flash sales, so don't worry too much. I remember I got mine last Holiday sale when they both were up.

Well considering the new one is on sale I would have assumed the older ones would be too since that's how it usually goes for franchises

Speaking of Rise of Nations, what do you guys think about the microsoft RTS bundle that's on sale.

$25 isn't a bad price for five games including Age of Empires/Age of Mythology/Rise of Nations.

C4rter

Anybody have any impressions of Panzer Corps? I'm interested in it if it goes 80% off. I really enjoy Age of Empires, Rise of Nations, and CK2

It's classic turn based strategy. If you are in any way interested in Panzer General, Battle Isle or even Jagged Alliance or maybe the newer Battle Worlds: Kronos, Panzer Corps is your game. A shitload of missions and the great time consuming tactic game that the classic was, with better graphics and slightly better controls.

Grief.exe

Gaf recommend me some fun indie games..can be early access only if there still updating it though and a committed to there game.

Here are some of my favorites, I tried to organize them to similar genres as best I could.

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth/Don't Starve
Banished/Prison Architect
Transistor/Bastion/Mount and Blade: Warband
Divinity: Original Sin/Wasteland 2
FTL
Cook, Serve, Delicious
Papers, Please
Steamworld Dig/Shovel Knight/Valdis Story/Dust
Brothers

Keep your eye on Below, Ori and the Blind Forest, Way of the Samurai 4, Killing Floor 2, Life is Strange, and Hotline Miami 2 coming early 2015.

Also check out Malebolgia. A Early Access game that is generating a fair amount of buzz and similar to Dark Souls.

Nokterian

Here are some of my favorites, I tried to organize them to similar genres as best I could.

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth/Don't Starve
Banished/Prison Architect
Transistor/Bastion
Divinity: Original Sin/Wasteland 2
FTL
Cook, Serve, Delicious
Papers, Please
Steamworld Dig/Shovel Knight/Valdis Story/Dust
Brothers

Keep your eye on Below, Ori and the Blind Forest, Way of the Samurai 4, Killing Floor 2, Life is Strange, and Hotline Miami 2 coming early 2015.

Also check out Malebolgia. A Early Access game that is generating a fair amount of buzz and similar to Dark Souls.

Bolded ones i all ready have off course i am going to buy KF2,Hotline Miami 2. But thanks for a nice list.

Jintor

lol I got too excited by the fact that the Steam stores mistakenly thought I was still in AU this morning. Immediately snapped up Valkyria chronicles before it reverted.

Stupid lizard brain.

Man there is an absolutely absurd amount of great PC titles under $5 on this sale. If you are only just starting out as a PC gamer it must be like striking gold. I should make a list topic.

That reminds me, I've been wanting to pick up Banished. If it hits $5 probably a must. If it only goes to 66% off, ehhhhhh. 75% seems like a decent shot though since it's 50% off already.

Lowest it has been was $6 on the humble store at some point.

FoneBone

The only thing I've bought so far is Mini Ninjas on GMG for $2. Then again, so much of my wishlist consists of newer games that won't hit sub-$10 until sometime in 2015, and I have a backlog.

The biggest thing I'm waiting on is the Prince of Persia series to go below $3 apiece (IIRC, it happened during the summer sale, but I missed the boat).

And Jesus Christ, Capcom... DmC2013 has been out almost two years. You can drop the friggin' MSRP already.

Lomax

Probably good. The game has done really well and i can see it being a big ticket item on a daily deal.

Eh....maybe 40% then

It was 33% in the fall sale, the discounts are the same. Now another site could possibly have it for 40% and there's still people around with keys/gifts for less.

Hey Grief, wasn't Below supposed to be some kind of timed Xbox One exclusive? I remember them saying it would come out on PC at a same date, but then I saw someone mention that Xbox's gonna get it first after all.

Jintor

Never understood the appeal of banished. It just seems like a stripped down version of so many city builders out there.

The main thing is it the balance, I feel - unlike a lot of other city builders, it's easier for me to tell what problems my population is having on the town, as opposed to just plonking down buildings every which way and not having a clue what's actually going on.

Also it's made by one guy which is pretty impressive. Wish it didn't look so drab though

Moonlight

Banned
I would chastise you for not picking up Recettear one of the many times its been on sale, but I can't chastise anyone for wanting Recettear.
I've only really gotten into buying on Steam just recently. And I've played Recettear before! I just can't bring myself to buy it at twenty bucks.

Seeing it's been as low as five dollars before really stings, though. :(

EDIT:

Recettear (and the rest of the Carpe Fulgur games) will be on sale. It was an oversight: https://twitter.com/SpaceDrakeCF/status/545791641182027776
YESSSSSSSSS

Kayant

ModBot 2 said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kayant, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- I might have mistaken claimed some keys PM me if it doesn't work for you.

Guest Pass: Killing Floor -- MB-F11F83E46D14702B
Trine 2: Complete Story #2 -- MB-8FB28B1E68EC0C68 - Taken by Sch1sm. 11 entrants total.
Dear Esther -- MB-D5292D6C4F6F122E - Taken by autoduelist. 15 entrants total.
Psychonauts -- MB-F4ACB4C171D9E3EB - Taken by The Reloader. 11 entrants total.
Screencheat -- MB-B3A29032DAB7E89E - Taken by S1n1st3r. 24 entrants total.
Trine 2: Complete Story -- MB-9777B7D54C4A3917 - Taken by tioslash. 11 entrants total.

t1419202189z1.png

Lomax

Recettear (and the rest of the Carpe Fulgur games) will be on sale. It was an oversight: https://twitter.com/SpaceDrakeCF/status/545791641182027776

Nice, Recettear and Chantelise have been on my wishlist for a while... take my money already Carpe Fulgur.

That's cool, I was beginning to think they were dead or something, it's been so long since they've released another translation. It's a shame neither of the other two games they did were anywhere near as good as Recettear though.

Colin.

Bit slow on region lock news here. But when I first read about it, I thought it was only going to affect the RU/CIS regions, due to the ongoing freefall of the ruble. What I've recently learned is that it basically affects every single region that even has the slightest discount, over the US base price. Seems like they've taken advantage of the situation as an excuse to implement this. Looks like my game purchases on Steam are going to be reduced significantly during this sale, and future ones too.

pahamrick

That's cool, I was beginning to think they were dead or something, it's been so long since they've released another translation. It's a shame neither of the other two games they did were anywhere near as good as Recettear though.

I think they have been helping XSEED with Trails in the Sky SC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom