• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Indeed. Also note that Might & Magic X: Legacy is the second best game released in 2014. In case you were on the fence.
A small, personal fix. I prefer Divinity Original Sin.
But Legacy is damn good, and that's coming from someone whom never played a blobber before. I don't finish RPG's often, but I devoured Might & Magic X. A steal for

Noaloha

Yeah, M&MX is right up there at the top of my games this year, top 3, I still haven't decided whether 1st, 2nd or 3rd yet. The party-building is so good in this game, the encounter balance hits the exact sweet spot for me where I always found myself considering my upgrades and always found the combat requiring my attention. Great, great game.

Gonna add another recommendation that I don't expect to end up on a daily -- Unity Of Command, -75% at $4.99 / £3.74 / 4.99€. It's a fantastic little wargame, covering the Stalingrad campaign. Exceptionally well designed, elegant and accessible but with plenty of depth. It's perhaps the best introduction to the more grognardy side of wargaming, it does away with the stubborn and impenetrable complexities, but doesn't shy away from deeply modeling the factors facing the Germans and Russians. The way the game handles supply lines is an especially neat piece of design, really easy to get to grips with but entirely convincing. The two DLCs are worthwhile, but the base game will be enough for starters - Red Turn covers events after Stalingrad, and is a little more 'puzzley', leaning toward the player figuring out the correct way to win, Black Turn covers events prior to Stalingrad and is a little more focused toward openness, giving the player enough wiggle room to decide how they want to win.

aScaris

What does the Might & Magic X - Legacy Digital Deluxe version add to the base game? Is it worth getting instead of the normal version?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Well, let's look at the Steam reviews.

"I played this during the beta, and played through the game twice. I decided to wait to try it again until after the beta was finished. When it was released, I was onto other games and hadn't gotten around to it."

73 percent of people found that to be a helpful review. Steam reviewers are fucking idiots.

What does the Might & Magic X - Legacy Digital Deluxe version add to the base game? Is it worth getting instead of the normal version?

The OG version has plenty of content. I'd just do the normal version.

Durante

Yupppp. I got our site to put it in as top ten. It's my GOTY, but nobody else heard of it, so I felt getting it on the list was a victory.
Good job. I'll make it the first entry in my upcoming article about 2014 CRPGs.

Well, let's look at the Steam reviews.

"I played this during the beta, and played through the game twice. I decided to wait to try it again until after the beta was finished. When it was released, I was onto other games and hadn't gotten around to it."

73 percent of people found that to be a helpful review. Steam reviewers are fucking idiots.
Lol.

digital deluxe edition is 1.2€ more and contains

EXCLUSIVE DUNGEON WHEN IT RELEASES: THE DREAM SHARD
Explore the Dream Shard dungeon and pursue your quests in the Agyn Peninsula!

FIRST DLC FOR FREE WHEN IT RELEASES: THE FALCON AND THE UNICORN
Deluxe Edition owners will get to enjoy the game’s very first DLC called the Falcon and the Unicorn for free when it releases.
the DLC is currently selling at 4.19€ at 40% off so it seems worth buying the digital deluxe version

Darkroronoa

I never player a Might & Magic game except a demo of heroes V (i think) and a little bit of the browser game, is M&M X a good intro?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I never player a Might & Magic game except a demo of heroes V (i think) and a little bit of the browser game, is M&M X a good intro?

Yup! It has a great introduction and everything you need to know is taught along the way. I'm sure there are some small story tie-ins with past M&M games, but nothing that gets in the way of the admittedly sparse story. The game is more about the challenge and exploration than the storytelling. It excels at both

Banner Saga is cheap on the Humble store.

Not sure if I should just buy the iPad version. Seems like a good fit for a tablet game, no? Anyone played both versions?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
After watching one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies yesterday I had a moment of weakness and promptly purchased Black Flag. Why are pirates so damn cool?

Banner Saga is cheap on the Humble store.

Not sure if I should just buy the iPad version. Seems like a good fit for a tablet game, no? Anyone played both versions?

I played it on my Android phone, the touch controls are well made, played fine.

GHG

Is this a good time to finally pick up the Assassin's creed games? For around 40 I can get most of them.

Don't get all of them.

Get 1, 2 3, black flag, liberation and only touch unity of your PC is up to snuff.

After watching one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies yesterday I had a moment of weakness and promptly purchased Black Flag. Why are pirates so damn cool?

I played it on my Android phone, the touch controls are well made, played fine.

Yeah I think I'll buy the iOS version, thanks.

GHG

Why is Black Flag not on the front page of Steam?

Just found its a daily deal via Easy_D post.

The rule of steam sales is that if one game in a series is a daily all the other games in that franchise will also be a daily more often than not.

Is the Jurassic Park Telltale game worth $8?

I've always wanted to play it but.... I dunno, everyone says its crap, the 360 one never came out in PAL and the PS3 one (I would prefer it on a console) is still like $50 lol.

Can't decide. :| The game seems to not want me to play it.

Also I've never played a Telltale game before lol. The Game of Thrones one seemed cool though.

[Speedrunners]Is it multiplayer only?
There's a single player campaign with quite a few stages based on improving your times, a la Dustforce. You can also play with bots of three difficulty settings, offline versus and online versus. Quite a complete package and a delight to play!

Tizoc

Is the Jurassic Park Telltale game worth $8?

I've always wanted to play it but.... I dunno, everyone says its crap, the 360 one never came out in PAL and the PS3 one (I would prefer it on a console) is still like $50 lol.

Can't decide. :| The game seems to not want me to play it.

Also I've never played a Telltale game before lol. The Game of Thrones one seemed cool though.

Get Wolf Among Us when it goes on sale. It is many a SteamGAFfer's GotY contender.
Keep in mind that their recent output are simple games with QTE segments.

Their JP game is...OK but their other games are much better.
Be forwarned that Walking Dead Season 1 has a game save bug that TT NEVER bothered to patch, so always back up your save data before quitting the game.

My first pickup is OlliOlli and I'm not digging it at all. HumbleBundle has this for $3 and I've been wanting to try it out for months but I just can't get into it. It's probably the only thing I'll buy until X-Mas when hopefully I get some cards and cash to buy some stuff.
I think it's a lot more arcadey than I expected. So many people made these comparisons to how it understands skateboarding in an interesting way. I'm still enjoying it, and to be clear I didn't expect a 2D Skate simulation. It's just a really vague abstraction to me.

So much of skateboarding is about gaining momentum from curves but in this game it's just a button press away. I appreciate that would be hard to do in a pixel based game. The military base levels in particular are just annoying. Just gap after gap which isn't really fun. The only reason to watch the canned bail animations is to see the level ahead. Often they don't really match up with the momentum of your skater.

I think it's a cool take on what Neversoft did in the early Hawk's games. Grinding helicopters is an obvious nod to that but I don't think it's some distillation of actual skateboarding. And I'm not sure adding manuals in Olliwood will add much to it either. Really cool soundtrack though. Wish there were more songs.

Last gripe, there appears to be a bug where you can land on the snow if you time it just before a patch of skateable surface. But when you try to jump off it you crash. That really sucks.

Wait for the daily deals!!

True, I guess the fact that it was 75% off already made me think it was already on some special deal thing. This is my first Steam sale where I'm actually buying things so I'm a noob!! :p

Get Wolf Among Us when it goes on sale. It is many a SteamGAFfer's GotY contender....

Thanks, I'll wait on JP and see if some of the others go cheaper too. So many games! >_<

Diablos

Freedom Planet is at a good price right now, but I am wondering if they'll end up making it part of the featured deals for even less money... hmm

Durante

You can't recommend to someone AC2 and not recommend brotherhood to go along with it. Brotherhood is the second best game in the series.
I haven't played any of them, but a friend who has swears that Brotherhood is the best in the entire series.

How's black flag on PC? Worth it even with uplay? Also curious about Splinter Cell Blacklist and Might and Magic...
I'll risk starting to sound repetitive... buy Might & Magic X: Legacy.

Pezus

I haven't played any of them, but a friend who has swears that Brotherhood is the best in the entire series.

I personally preferred Brotherhood over 2, too.

OT: Is it me or is there no "bonus discount" for the community choice game this time? They all show -75% for me.

wazoo

How's black flag on PC? Worth it even with uplay? Also curious about Splinter Cell Blacklist and Might and Magic...

Uplay is not a problem.

It runs quite well (and surely better than the console version).

Splinter Cell is good too.

The backfire is against Unity currently, and even this, after the recent driver updates, it seems to run quite well, better than art launch, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom