• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Think I'll grab "How to Survive - Storm Warning Edition", it's £1.49 with all DLC and I liked the look of it when it first came out.

Grief.exe

The Steam ver. is the better one between gog and Steam right?

Need to double check some sources on this

KVPHnsl.png

Indeed. Also note that Might & Magic X: Legacy is the best game released in 2014. In case you were on the fence.

I'm on the fence and when the first three reviews on the store page are negative because of bugs and being forced to being always online it's kind of hard to feel compelled to buy it. Are those exaggerated issues or is it something that has been fixed by now?

Durante

I'm on the fence and when the first three reviews on the store page are negative because of bugs and being forced to being always online it's kind of hard to feel compelled to buy it. Are those exaggerated issues or is it something that has been fixed by now?
I have no idea what those are even talking about. I played through the entire game (that's 70+ hours mind you) without experiencing any issues.

There were some progress breaking bugs that were fixed, a few of them were due to people pre release saves fucking up with the full game, others due to doing things way out of order. Pretty sure the first patch fixed those though, and a lot of people never encountered any of these issues.

I don't know about always online though, maybe, it's a Uplay game so there's that.

It was certainly a lot of fun and if you like dungeon crawlers I'd say you're missing out if you haven't played this. Grimrock 2 is also good though.

Tizoc

But I wanna play it now.

;_;

Then I say go for it!
You'd be supporting the game even with a few dollars ;)
The game is my GotY contender and is really fun, if you don't care for story, play Classic mode which skips cutscenes and have a blast.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of efyu_lemonardo, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (efyu_lemonardo, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Viking: Battle for Asgard -- MB-44BCCDD4B1FE0F30 - Taken by Tormilet. 11 entrants total.
Dreamcast Collection -- MB-C0D04DC4AB577030 - Taken by Mr. Doop. 17 entrants total.
Total War: ROME II - Caesar in Gaul (DLC) -- MB-C6D3C991C2E8592D - Taken by earvcunanan. 1 entrants total.
Must own base game to play
Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine -- MB-D74BA67694D55102 - Taken by Avinexus. 5 entrants total.
Company of Heroes 2 - The Western Front Armies: Oberkommando West -- MB-AC99E5A1F573220A - Taken by <parameter: string>. 2 entrants total.
NiGHTS Into Dreams -- MB-6779B4283FCD8A22 - Taken by Relaxed Muscle. 11 entrants total.
Empire: Total War -- MB-42AB2E05729E841C - Taken by JMFangio. 11 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1419178249z1.png

Every year I load up on multiplayer games for a big birthday gaming weekend my brother and I throw with a bunch of guys in January. Im looking for preferably coop, 4 player games.

This year I dont have much of a list going into the winter sale. So far I'm planning on picking up
Gang Beasts
Broforce
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
Full Mojo Rampage
New Gauntlet

Previous years we have played
Foul Play
Hammerwatch
Jamestown
Legend of Dungeon
Monaco
Nidhogg
Risk of Rain
Samurai Gunn
Speed Runners
Magicka

I need to tap the great Gaf hivemind to blow my load on steam games and keep my friends and I entertained for 48 straight hours.

What say you Gaf?

Is it a good idea to pick up Borderlands 2 if my intention is to play it solo? It sounds like it would be a decent mindless 'podcast-listening' game, and I've never played a borderlands game before.

fenners

Is it a good idea to pick up Borderlands 2 if my intention is to play it solo? It sounds like it would be a decent mindless 'podcast-listening' game, and I've never played a borderlands game before.

I've played it from beginning to end solo & thoroughly enjoyed it enough to buy most of the DLC. Plenty of folk might say otherwise, but don't listen to them :)

pahamrick

I've played both games from start to finish solo and enjoyed the experience. If you like games where you get a lot of loot, and you're a fan of FPS, I think you'd like it.

Diablos

Borderlands 2 is a nice single player game..

I don't know about all the DLC though. Pretty redundant. I'm probably going to get the Tiny Tina one since it looks like the best.

Tizoc

This thread got me to pick up Might and Magic X.

I like this thread!

Do you like colorful 2D sprites with well done animation?
Do you like Match 3 and/or RPG elements?

Then give M&M: Clash of Heroes a try, the most underrated of Ubi's library of games

I wouldn't recommend playing it solo, and listening to the dialogue is half of the fun in the game.

I've played it from beginning to end solo & thoroughly enjoyed it enough to buy most of the DLC. Plenty of folk might say otherwise, but don't listen to them :)

I've played both games from start to finish solo and enjoyed the experience. If you like games where you get a lot of loot, and you're a fan of FPS, I think you'd like it.

Borderlands 2 is a nice single player game..

I don't know about all the DLC though. Pretty redundant. I'm probably going to get the Tiny Tina one since it looks like the best.

Thanks for the input people, I think I'll give it a try.

I tried that last winter sale, but gave up after 8h. It just felt too unfair, slow (bullet sponge enemies) and repetitive playing it singleplayer.

pahamrick

I am thinking of buying these games, what are your views on

Assassins Creed Director Cut

If you've played other AC games, but not the first, be prepared for lack of activities to do and repetitiveness in how the assassinations are prepared before you can attempt them.

I like AC 1, and have completed it several times, but there's a reason AC 2 is considered by many to be the best of the franchise, and a lot of the changes stemmed from complaints about the first game.

Reuenthal

Banned
If you've played other AC games, but not the first, be prepared for lack of activities to do and repetitiveness in how the assassinations are prepared before you can attempt them.

I like AC 1, and have completed it several times, but there's a reason AC 2 is considered by many to be the best of the franchise, and a lot of the changes stemmed from complaints about the first game.

I bought the second game as a starting point in the past but I haven't played yet. And since it was cheap thought of maybe starting from AC1 DC instead. So I guess no buy.

pahamrick

I bought the second game as a starting point in the past but I haven't played yet. And since it was cheap thought of maybe starting from AC1 DC instead. So I guess no buy.

The only reason I replay AC1 anymore is for the actual assassination missions, because I think those were handled better than in the later games as they're a bit more open and you can approach from multiple angles.

But the stuff leading up to them are basically the same each time (Tail a person for information, pick pocket someone for information, ect) You don't have to do them all, but you get more information about the target and can plan accordingly.

Since you bought 2 already, I'd say pass unless you really want to experience Altair's story first hand and just start playing 2 since it gives a recap.

Reuenthal

Banned
The only reason I replay AC1 anymore is for the actual assassination missions, because I think those were handled better than in the later games as they're a bit more open and you can approach from multiple angles.

But the stuff leading up to them are basically the same each time (Tail a person for information, pick pocket someone for information, ect) You don't have to do them all, but you get more information about the target and can plan accordingly.

Since you bought 2 already, I'd say pass unless you really want to experience Altair's story first hand and just start playing 2 since it gives a recap.

Since the 2 gives a recap and is better I will skip the first and buy brotherhood instead.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm disappointed that sale discounts don't stack with existing discounts. For example, Metro 2033 Redux is normally 50% off since I own the original, which is the same as the sale price. Not exactly convincing me to grab it if I didn't already do it before.

I'm not sure if Valve fixed it, but previously games like this would be more expensive during sales. Deus Ex:HR Director's Cut was normally $5 off sale since I got the discount for owning the game+DLC, but on sale it was $10. Go figure.

Ventara

Well, just bought my first game this sale.

How To Survive - Storm Warning Edition

It interested me the last sale, and at 90%, only being in the $1 tier of an indie bundle would be cheaper. I'm willing to take that risk, and no regrets if it does show up there. Anyways, I'll probably pick up the Deus Ex Complete bundle from GMG, too.

Sulla1980

All of this Might and Magic talk has pushed me over the edge.

The reason Steam sales and Steam Gaf in general is great is that you discover so many things that appeal to you that would otherwise gone unnoticed.

Now I just need to make some space on this hard drive...

madjoki

I'm disappointed that sale discounts don't stack with existing discounts. For example, Metro 2033 Redux is normally 50% off since I own the original, which is the same as the sale price. Not exactly convincing me to grab it if I didn't already do it before.

That was preorder only.

Many times these deals tend to go over 100% (because it's adding discount together ie. 50% + 50% = 100% instead of 75%.) and gets disabled during sale.
New discounts also tends to be temporary instead of permanent.

There's couple of stackers:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/315340/ is 83% if you own regular Ares, instead of 33%.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/260790/ is 66% if you own Cavestory+ / Nighsky instead of 33%

(http://store.steampowered.com/app/239430/ is 110% (unpurchaseable) if you own regular QUBE.)

Tizoc

Every year I load up on multiplayer games for a big birthday gaming weekend my brother and I throw with a bunch of guys in January. Im looking for preferably coop, 4 player games.

This year I dont have much of a list going into the winter sale. So far I'm planning on picking up
Gang Beasts
Broforce
Full Mojo Rampage
New Gauntlet

Foul Play
Hammerwatch
Jamestown
Legend of Dungeon
Monaco
Nidhogg
Risk of Rain
Samurai Gunn
Speed Runners
Magicka

I need to tap the great Gaf hivemind to blow my load on steam games and keep my friends and I entertained for 48 straight hours.

What say you Gaf?
metal slug x and metal slug 3!
King of fighters 98 um too which should come with og kof 98.

NIN90

Gang Beasts
Broforce
Full Mojo Rampage
New Gauntlet

Foul Play
Hammerwatch
Jamestown
Legend of Dungeon
Monaco
Nidhogg
Risk of Rain
Samurai Gunn
Speed Runners
Magicka

What say you Gaf?
Definitely add Lethal League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom