• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good lord I made a terrible decision grabbing Valkyrie Chronicles. "Oooh, a strategy-RPG with Japanese influence? What could go wrong!?".

RPG mechanics are non-existent. You don't have a single dialogue option anywhere and conversations between characters are slideshows with every anime trope imaginable.

The Strategy elements wouldn't challenge a child. The two most challenging parts of the game have both come from poor design choices that make it easy to hit obstacles you think you can shoot over/around, and trying to control your tank which literally wigs out every 10 seconds unless you're using an Xbox controller.

And that's the worst part. Beneath all the shallow design elements this is a game that can be defined by 4 words: "Another shitty PC port". 50-60% of the game is spent in menus and you need to use the keyboard for everything. There's not even an auto-save feature between the boring-as-shit dialogue chapters, so you have to hit a chain of keys (F-S-S-Space-Space-Space-S-S-S-Space) just to manually save so that when the game crashes (and it will crash) you don't have to repeat it.

rickyson1

time to jump on shadow warrior I guess

nothing else i'm interested in today I don't already have other than alien which i'm waiting for it to fall in price more and there it is at 90% off again

Nete

Dark Messiah on PC is one of the most underrated games ever.

Started playing Door Kickers (Thanks Speevy!) and the game feels more difficult than i thought it'd be. It's also quite nice. Only played the first 3/4 solo maps, though I managed to 3 stars the first two and get those no pause/single plan thingies, but those starting maps are easy.

It's not an easy game in the sense that punishes you for each error, bad move or wrong decision, but at the same time that makes the game very rewarding once you manage to beat each level.

Difficulty itself goes up slow but steady from the easy and simple first maps to the madness you will face later on, especially if you keep using the hands-off playing style. Fire Station, I'm looking at you.

Wark

I decided to pick up Grim Dawn because I love the genre. Is anyone up to play it sometime?

I'm still on the fence with Spintires and Bound By Flame.

Dark Messiah on PC is one of the most underrated games ever.

Agreed. I always loved the combat in that game. I haven't played it in a while though.

~Kinggi~

Banned
There is no mention of GFWL on the steam store page for Bulletstorm. What the fuck?

Edit: nevermind, they bury it in a section that it doesnt belong.

Uraizen

Banned
Out of curiosity, what are some of the other places you guys are checking daily for cheap games? I know of amazon, humblebundle store, greenmangaming, and ... that's it?

Isaccard

Good lord I made a terrible decision grabbing Valkyrie Chronicles. "Oooh, a strategy-RPG with Japanese influence? What could go wrong!?".

RPG mechanics are non-existent. You don't have a single dialogue option anywhere and conversations between characters are slideshows with every anime trope imaginable.

The Strategy elements wouldn't challenge a child. The two most challenging parts of the game have both come from poor design choices that make it easy to hit obstacles you think you can shoot over/around, and trying to control your tank which literally wigs out every 10 seconds unless you're using an Xbox controller.

And that's the worst part. Beneath all the shallow design elements this is a game that can be defined by 4 words: "Another shitty PC port". 50-60% of the game is spent in menus and you need to use the keyboard for everything. There's not even an auto-save feature between the boring-as-shit dialogue chapters, so you have to hit a chain of keys (F-S-S-Space-Space-Space-S-S-S-Space) just to manually save so that when the game crashes (and it will crash) you don't have to repeat it.

What the fuck did I just read

~Kinggi~

Banned

E69WWMD.gif

pahamrick

Won two good games yesterday, so I wanted to give something in return.
Something for folks who were on the fence about some Batman and missed the deal because of it.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (pahamrick, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Batman Arkham Origins -- MB-E6CBBAF995689747 - Taken by dave is ok. 42 entrants total.
Batman Arkham City GOTY -- MB-0F989CB3462C6059 - Taken by Gallantioh. 13 entrants total.

t1419200452z1.png

Zoon

another day and not a single game that slightly interests me...
I already have skyrim and shadow warrior

OlliOlli plays so much better on the Vita. The game requires some tight timing on button presses, and there's a lot less latency when playing on the Vita.

I like OlliOlli... I'm just annoyed that I basically spent $30 for it (Vita and PC) when the PC version got discounted so fast. Oh well.
I was getting the feeling the game was just overhyped by Vita owners happy to have something original to play. But maybe that is the issue. I just enabled some sort of overdrive feature on my monitor and my performance has increased substantially.

A better name for this game would be NolliNosegrind. The sequel can been NolliNosejob

ironmang

Probably going to grab Shadow Warrior even if I won't get around to it for months. $4 is definitely cheap enough to have this in my library.

Ark

Today's sale is definitely lacking imo.

Not having a meta-game and flash sales every 12 instead of 8 hours are making this sale feel like much less of an event as it usually does. I'm still enjoying it though, going to pick up Isolation today.

rockx4

About to buy Grim Dawn, have the saves been compatible with each patch? And will they continue to work when the game is released?

plc268

I was getting the feeling the game was just overhyped by Vita owners happy to have something original to play. But maybe that is the issue. I just enabled some sort of overdrive feature on my monitor and my performance has increased substantially.

A better name for this game would be NolliNosegrind. The sequel can been NolliNosejob

It's also a game that's designed to be a portable game. Great to play for 5 minutes at a time.

Speevy

Banned

Some of the stuff you're saying is just wrong.

Also, why would you use a keyboard to play a console port? It was designed for the PS3.

About to buy Grim Dawn, have the saves been compatible with each patch? And will they continue to work when the game is released?

They released a new patch yesterday. My saves worked just fine after the patch was installed. Yup, they plan on adding new content, even after the game is finished, I believe. Even in its current form, there is already a ton of gameplay. I've already logged in over 40 hours and am still not done with it.

Durante

Some of the stuff you're saying is just wrong.

Also, why would you use a keyboard to play a console port? It was designed for the PS3.
It plays better with keyboard and mouse though.

Also, not some of the stuff is wrong. All of it.
Judging from what he says about challenge I assume he's just a few chapters into the game.

Blitzhex

Hey guys how does Grim Dawn compared to Diablo II and Path of Exile?
I fuckin love PoE and played it at a high level in hc, so I'm looking forward to another arpg.

Hey guys how does Grim Dawn compared to Diablo II and Path of Exile?
I fuckin love PoE and played it at a high level in hc, so I'm looking forward to another arpg.

Can't comment on Diablo II, as I never played through it in its entirety, but I think it's leagues better than Path of Exile. The gameplay is much better in Grim Dawn, as well as the level design in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom