• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
And that's the worst part. Beneath all the shallow design elements this is a game that can be defined by 4 words: "Another shitty PC port". 50-60% of the game is spent in menus and you need to use the keyboard for everything. There's not even an auto-save feature between the boring-as-shit dialogue chapters, so you have to hit a chain of keys (F-S-S-Space-Space-Space-S-S-S-Space) just to manually save so that when the game crashes (and it will crash) you don't have to repeat it.

Good troll. Almost had me.

Baust

Okay, those Dark Messiah gifs are pretty convincing.

Is this currently on a flash deal for 75% off or will it be 75% off for the rest of the sale?

Not sure if I'm ready to grab it quite yet.

Burai

shitonmychest57
2011's sale was like being a kid in a candy store. This year, there are still some great deals but it's all predictable.

It depends how long you've been on Steam. The longer you're there, the less deals there are because you own everything in the back catalogue worth having and with the other sales, bundle sites, etc. everything gets covered off.

I've only been doing PC gaming a short while but I've picked up so much stuff for so cheap. The sales are getting predictable and repetitive now, but my library only has a few holes left that need filling at the right price. I might have to wait a while for a few of them to hit my price threshold but I guess I could play the other 350 games I've got whilst I wait...

Thinking about LA Noire... what say you, Steam-gaf?

I liked it but it isn't really great gameplay and story wise, the world also feels empty because of the lack of side quests. It's also locked at 30fps if I remember right.

The facial animations and the atmosphere are great though.

takriel

Is it worth it to get Alien: Isolation, Lords of the Fallen and Wolfenstein: The New Order for 50% off each?

Or will it drop even more in price if I wait for the Summer Sale?

I liked it but it isn't really great gameplay and story wise, the world also feels empty because of the lack of side quests. It's also locked at 30fps if I remember right.

The facial animations and the atmosphere are great though.

Hm, are the detective aspects interesting? Like the clues, figuring out the cases, etc. I'm more interested in it for the mental puzzles, I think.

Jirotrom

Is it worth it to get Alien: Isolation, Lords of the Fallen and Wolfenstein: The New Order for 50% off each?

I bought new order on gig for almost 75% off two days ago... Don't know if it's been on sale on steam yet

Ok, champ - you tell me what RPG elements Valkyrie Chronicles has.

Aside from the complete lack of dialogue options which would allow you to define your character, the actual statistical advancement mechanics are abstracted, linear, and pointless. You advance troop "types" and the advancement is done on a linear line with no selection or divergence. It's just Level 1 -> Level 2 -> Level 3. You have zero opportunity to specialize your troops in any way and the most you can do is watch their numbers go up and assume they're getting better at something.

This isn't opinion. Nothing I'm saying is up for debate, because it's how the freaking game was made.

You can argue whether or not you LIKE bare-bones RPG mechanics that can barely be deemed such, but you can't lie and pretend this game actually has depth.

Your posts read like you think Bioware/Bethesda RPGs define the genre. Ever played Dragon Quest? It has Level 1 -> Level 2 -> Level 3 as well. Not a RPG confirmed!

But hey, I agree with you. It's not up for debate. Valkyria Chronicles is a RPG.

def sim

Hm, are the detective aspects interesting? Like the clues, figuring out the cases, etc. I'm more interested in it for the mental puzzles, I think.

A lot of it is looking at clues and facial expressions during conversations to figure out if they're lying or holding something back. It's interesting enough at $5, at the very least.

Isn't it locked at 30fps?

You can unlock the framerate. PCGW should help.

Good troll. Almost had me.
Oh, please, we both know who the troll is. I've been playing JRPGs back since the NES era. This isn't the first time I've seen how JRPG fans defend bad titles.

Regardless, I made my points in case anyone else was thinking of grabbing the Valkyrie Chronicles. For you guys, notice how there wasn't a single rebuttal of substance. This is on NeoGAF, mind you. That says something about the game's quality.

Your posts read like you think Bioware/Bethesda RPGs define the genre. Ever played Dragon Quest? It has Level 1 -> Level 2 -> Level 3 as well. Not a RPG confirmed!

But hey, I agree with you. It's not up for debate. Valkyria Chronicles is a RPG.

You must be new to the RPG genre yourself if you think Bio/Beth invented dialogues.

Ever play an Ogre Battle game? Final Fantasy Tactics? No, I imagine not. If you had, you wouldn't be so shocked by the idea of a strategy RPG having dialogue and not just wave after wave of unrelenting slide-shows.

Denton

They are worth getting because they are great games. Alien especially.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Oh, please, we both know who the troll is. I've been playing JRPGs back since the NES era. This isn't the first time I've seen how JRPG fans defend bad titles.

Regardless, I made my points in case anyone else was thinking of grabbing the Valkyrie Chronicles. For you guys, notice how there wasn't a single rebuttal of substance. This is on NeoGAF, mind you. That says something about the game's quality.

You are starting to attack large groups of people now and that wont end up good for you.

Sch1sm

They'll most likely drop come summer, yeah. Wolfenstein's been cheaper. Alien: Iso is a good discount considering it's been out a whole 9 weeks alone. I'd bite on the latter. In fact, I am biting on the latter. Minute I put my money in the bank tomorrow.
Them 48hr daily deals.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Maxwood, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Maxwood, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Final Fantasy VII -- MB-4FF3D84690D22B9E - Taken by Zero-Crescent. 46 entrants total.
To whoever wins, please don't forget to PM your choice for tomorrow's giveaway, see original post at around 2740 in the Steam December II Thread for the rules.

t1419198953z1.png

It found it intersting but they really aren't difficult if that's what you're looking for. The thing that was great was trying to figure out if a person was lying or not based on their facial behavior.

It's a good game but it could have been way better.

takriel

I bought new order on gig for almost 75% off two days ago... Don't know if it's been on sale on steam yet

They are worth getting because they are great games. Alien especially.

They'll most likely drop come summer, yeah. Wolfenstein's been cheaper. Alien: Iso is a good discount considering it's been out a whole 9 weeks alone. I'd bite on the latter. In fact, I am biting on the latter. Minute I put my money in the bank tomorrow.
Them 48hr daily deals.

Thanks guys, bought Alien: Isolation and will buy the other two next summer, as I have enough games in my backlog to tide me over until then...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Good lord I made a terrible decision grabbing Valkyrie Chronicles. "Oooh, a strategy-RPG with Japanese influence? What could go wrong!?".

RPG mechanics are non-existent. You don't have a single dialogue option anywhere
The horror! xD It also has no monster breeding. Wassupwithdat?

You must be new to the RPG genre yourself if you think Bio/Beth invented dialogues.

Ever play an Ogre Battle game? Final Fantasy Tactics?
....There are no (significant) dialogue options in Final Fantasy Tactics. None. The fuck are you talking about? Are you confusing it with Tactics Ogre?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'd like to play an action RPG with lots of exploration lately and today's deal for SKYRIM is tempting, but i think i'll wait to see if The Witcher 2 could go on sale too before the 2th of january :O

You should take a nice look at Risen if you want good exploration (If you haven't already)

Durante

You have zero opportunity to specialize your troops in any way
You know, you should play more of the game before continuing to make a fool of yourself.

Regardless, I made my points in case anyone else was thinking of grabbing the Valkyrie Chronicles. For you guys, notice how there wasn't a single rebuttal of substance.
Your rant is so devoid of meaning and fundamentally wrong that it doesn't merit replies of substance. Come on, you can't even get the spelling of the name of the game right.

Ever play an Ogre Battle game? Final Fantasy Tactics? No, I imagine not. If you had, you wouldn't be so shocked by the idea of a strategy RPG having dialogue and not just wave after wave of unrelenting slide-shows.

Nah, it's just that your childish trolling and laughable criticisms of the game made me think you're 15 or so years old and I went with Bioware/Bethesda.

Yeah, I've played both of those games, they're great but why would I expect Valkyria Chronicles to be the same? That'd be stupid, it's a different game with different gameplay. What, do you go into Demon's Souls and expect Kingdom Hearts story telling just because they're both Action RPGs?

TheSeks

Yeah, you. Glad we established that.

The PC port isn't "bad." You can play with the controller (just like the PS3 version!) in all menus. There is NOTHING preventing you from doing that, same with keyboard and mouse. The optimization (outside of 60FPS which is buggy) is great and runs on about 80% of PC's out there. It's nowhere fucking near a "bad PC port" and you're trolling.

I'm not even going to get into the stupid argument of you and your "RPG definition."

Though glad you've been playing JRPGs since the NES. Good for you, do you want a cookie for that accomplishment?

SHMUPGAF, what should I get, Astebreed or Danmaku Unlimited + Crimzon Clover IGNITION? I only have $6 left in the steam wallet.

Danmaku + Crimzon Clover = 2 titles > Assbreed's 1 title.

SIMPLE LAW OF SALES MATH. DO NOT DISPUTE THIS.

Tizoc

SHMUPGAF, what should I get, Astebreed or Danmaku Unlimited + Crimzon Clover IGNITION? I only have $6 left in the steam wallet.

Danmaku + Crimzon Clover = 2 titles > Assbreed's 1 title.

SIMPLE LAW OF SALES MATH. DO NOT DISPUTE THIS.

...but Assbreed is the closest we'll get to Zone of the Enders on Steam.
...and of course

Seriously though go with whichever, I heard good things about CCI but I'm not that big a Bullet Hell fan =_=

TheSeks

How cheap is AssBreed and Crimson Clover? I've already got Danmaku from it being $2 a year ago.

It's obvious from how you're describing the "flaws" of VC that you haven't played very much of it yet. You can specialize your troops and tank, later on in the game. VC can be very challenging. The first few missions are there to introduce gameplay elements and to establish the story.

While I have never agreed with others on GAF who recommend VC as a straight JRPG to people (because it doesn't have the freedom of exploration that is a big part of JRPGs), it is a SRPG and it does have elements of role-playing. You know, those words which R and P stand for. You take the role of a character, and your character moves through a complex story, forming relationships with others. Even your troops have their own personalities. While no, you cannot choose your own missions, and you don't have dialogue trees, it's still in abstract terms a role-playing game. But the focus is on the Strategy part.

I suggest you stick with it, and trust the many other people on GAF who love the game.

pahamrick

Repost for final hour.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (pahamrick, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Batman Arkham Origins -- MB-E6CBBAF995689747 - Taken by dave is ok. 42 entrants total.
Batman Arkham City GOTY -- MB-0F989CB3462C6059 - Taken by Gallantioh. 13 entrants total.

t1419200452z1.png

garath

Thanks for the heads up on crysis 3 on amazon. I don't think it will ever be lower than 4 bucks. Worth it just for the benchmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom