• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
People still not sold on Dark Messiah?

y7eGlZ.gif

vMNLob.gif

I'ts 1,24€/2.49$. That's amazingly cheap. Buy it!

rockx4

They released a new patch yesterday. My saves worked just fine after the patch was installed. Yup, they plan on adding new content, even after the game is finished, I believe. Even in its current form, there is already a ton of gameplay. I've already logged in over 40 hours and am still not done with it.

Sounds good, buying it now. Can anyone recommend Bound by Flame for $9.99? Just finished Dragon age and looking for another RPG.

RedFyn

How long does it usually take modbot to send a code?

If I can throw in my opinion, definitely get AoM. My favourite RTS ever. Each race is very unique and the myth units look awesome. Lots of lore and different strategies to try out The single-player campaign are great, and they explain the mechanics of the game pretty well, and playing against the AI is pretty fun. So if you're a single-player kinda guy like me, you'll still find great value here. Seriously, I can't praise this game enough. Sunk hundreds of hours into it back in high school.
Seriously, such a fantastic game. Can't recommend it enough.

Marow

Alright, is any of the Alien: Isolation DLC worth it? If so, which? Apart from two, it seems the rest will be so-called "Survivor Mode" add-ons. What is this?

Speevy

Banned
2011's sale was like being a kid in a candy store. This year, there are still some great deals but it's all predictable.

Haunted

I was getting the feeling the game was just overhyped by Vita owners happy to have something original to play. But maybe that is the issue. I just enabled some sort of overdrive feature on my monitor and my performance has increased substantially.

A better name for this game would be NolliNosegrind. The sequel can been NolliNosejob
I didn't fall in love with OlliOlli either despite all the raving reviews here on GAF.

Bound by Flame any good?
If Lords of the Fallen is a poor man's Dark Souls that makes up for gameplay shortcomings with graphical superiority, Bound by Flame is a poor man's Lords of the Fallen without making up for it in any area.

I can easily tolerate jankiness and a low budget if a game makes up for it with ambition, heart or personality, but there's not much to like in Bound by Flame, tbh.

Nzyme32

2011's sale was like being a kid in a candy store. This year, there are still some great deals but it's all predictable.

Nah. Either 2007 or 2008 (can't remember which) was like being a kid in a candy store in the UK. Everything is in $ and the $ was doing so poorly vs the £. Bought entire catalogues from developers for an absolute steal

Wark

same feeling.

wish I could go back in time and spend all my money again :(

Was that the year where you had to play games and get holiday achievements that gave you free games/coal/coupons? That was probably my favorite Steam Holiday Sale.

I bought the Mass Effect collection without knowing that it doesn't have controller support :/ How hard is it to play with keyboard and mouse? I'm still relatively new to PC gaming so I'm not used to using them yet.

koma

I'd like to play an action RPG with lots of exploration lately and today's deal for SKYRIM is tempting, but i think i'll wait to see if The Witcher 2 could go on sale too before the 2th of january :O

dani_dc

My biggest issue with the sales is really how limited they are compared to the Steam catalog, we have considerably more games than before and yet the number of dailies seems to be as limited as it ever was (or even more so).

They should really have a secondary page for more obscure titles to be put on "daily" sales (they did this a few years ago for Indie titles).

zychi

Banned
I didn't fall in love with OlliOlli either despite all the raving reviews here on GAF.

If Lords of the Fallen is a poor man's Dark Souls that makes up for gameplay shortcomings with graphical superiority, Bound by Flame is a poor man's Lords of the Fallen without making up for it in any area.

I can easily tolerate jankiness and a low budget if a game makes up for it with ambition, heart or personality, but there's not much to like in Bound by Flame, tbh.

Thanks, may just wait for Lords of the Fallen to get down under $20 then.

Linkark07

Banned
I bought the Mass Effect collection without knowing that it doesn't have controller support :/ How hard is it to play with keyboard and mouse? I'm still relatively new to PC gaming so I'm not used to using them yet.

Haven't played the console versions but using K/M is a blast. So easy and enjoyable to use your abilities/powers.

Nzyme32

I've tried both on console and PC and I actually found mouse and keyboard to be far more preferable. I think it all works better in ME2 but both are good. You'll probably need a little while to get acclimated to it, but once you are it is really nice

The horrible opinion of someone who thinks RPG mechanics == dialogue options. lol

Ok, champ - you tell me what RPG elements Valkyrie Chronicles has.

Aside from the complete lack of dialogue options which would allow you to define your character, the actual statistical advancement mechanics are abstracted, linear, and pointless. You advance troop "types" and the advancement is done on a linear line with no selection or divergence. It's just Level 1 -> Level 2 -> Level 3. You have zero opportunity to specialize your troops in any way and the most you can do is watch their numbers go up and assume they're getting better at something.

This isn't opinion. Nothing I'm saying is up for debate, because it's how the freaking game was made.

You can argue whether or not you LIKE bare-bones RPG mechanics that can barely be deemed such, but you can't lie and pretend this game actually has depth.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
A christmas miracle happened. In these times of cheap games and plenty of downloading to try them out, I have found that for 15x the price I currently pay for 10/10mbit internet, I can upgrade to 100/10!

I currently pay 5 cents a month, so I'd be paying bout 7 euros a month for 10x faster download speeds, totally worth it

Sch1sm

How does mod to work, are you guys entering multiple times with it for the same game?

You can enter as many raffles as you want. But if one has multiple games and doesn't have the flag for it being a free for all, you can only go for one in that specific raffle. The game I won in question yesterday, though, The Last Remnant, was the only game in that raffle. Took a good 3 hours to get the key. You can read up more on ModBot - there's a link in the OP. And from that link there's another leading to the updated thread.

Krakn3Dfx

Picked up How To Survive, holy shit that game is a blast! Played 2 hours and felt like it was 10 minutes.

Ended up buying 5 more copies for gifts.

Aliens: Colonial Marines $2.99 - Worth it?

Definitely.

I would also say to pick up The Bug Hunt DLC for $2, since it's undoubtedly the best piece of the game, but I dunno that you could reliably find an online game these, so probably not worth it.

Burt

Ok, champ - you tell me what RPG elements Valkyrie Chronicles has.

Aside from the complete lack of dialogue options which would allow you to define your character, the actual statistical advancement mechanics are abstracted, linear, and pointless. You advance troop "types" and the advancement is done on a linear line with no selection or divergence. It's just Level 1 -> Level 2 -> Level 3. You have zero opportunity to specialize your troops in any way and the most you can do is watch their numbers go up and assume they're getting better at something.

This isn't opinion. Nothing I'm saying is up for debate, because it's how the freaking game was made.

You can argue whether or not you LIKE bare-bones RPG mechanics that can barely be deemed such, but you can't lie and pretend this game actually has depth.
Oh, you done did it now.

MAY THE BLOODLINE LIVE FOREVER

Haunted

Thinking about getting Spin Tires and Never Alone. Are they any good?
Now those are two games that don't have a lot in common, content-wise. :D

But they're both very straightforward games that do what they set out to do very well. There's basically no chance you're going to be disappointed if you know what these games are, respectively.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Gallantioh:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Gallantioh, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dead Space -- MB-346057B75A39E460 - Taken by lindarasta. 3 entrants total.

t1419197636z1.png

Shepard

I'd like to play an action RPG with lots of exploration lately and today's deal for SKYRIM is tempting, but i think i'll wait to see if The Witcher 2 could go on sale too before the 2th of january :O
Witcher 2 is quite light on exploration. If that's what you're looking for, Skyrim offers way more.

Haunted

Looking over those Amazon deals, Cursed Crusade for a dollar is worth it.

Saw that Shadowcrypt was on sale on the Humble store and was totally ready to buy it for 2,49€. It'S 6,99€. Yeah... I like the game, but no. Really not worth that amount of money.

Haunted

Apparently Crysis 3 is $4 over on Amazon? Might be the craziest deal I've seen so far.

I always forget how many games I already own are getting great deals I really should be recommending to newcomers. Just looking at the first page of cheapshark, there are so many great games (Hotline Miami, Shadow Warrior, Battleblock Theatre, both Portals, Defcon, Darwinia, Spacechem, Super Hexagon, Runner 2, Puzzle Agent etc etc etc) available for next to nothing.

edit: also, I just realised looking at the Pixeljunk games, that Shooter 2 never came to the PC. Huh, I wonder if the PC ports of Monsters, Shooter and Eden didn't really work out for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom