• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that Wargame: Red Dragon is a Daily Deal right now. I've always been curious about this series, but I've never known anyone who has played it. Is it a good RTS? It looks kind of overwhelming in scope. Does it have good single-player options? I don't really do multi in RTS, so that's important.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Oh, please, we both know who the troll is. I've been playing JRPGs back since the NES era. This isn't the first time I've seen how JRPG fans defend bad titles.

Regardless, I made my points in case anyone else was thinking of grabbing the Valkyrie Chronicles. For you guys, notice how there wasn't a single rebuttal of substance. This is on NeoGAF, mind you. That says something about the game's quality.

You know what else says something about the game's quality? The critical consensus and cult status the game has attained. Why the fuck would anyone give more weight to your single opinion than the multitude of (positive) opinions already out there?

delirium

I never actually played Skyrim. I loved Morrowind as a kid but I hated Oblivion. Is Skyrim good without needing tons of gameplay overhaul?

TMC

Thinking about buying Five Nights at Freddies 2 and Never Alone. Are either of them good / worth it?

Wondering the same about Five Nights at Freddy's 2. I need to buy the first one first of course and that is on sale for $2.50 right now. Should I bite on the first one?

It's obvious from how you're describing the "flaws" of VC that you haven't played very much of it yet. You can specialize your troops and tank, later on in the game. VC can be very challenging. The first few missions are there to introduce gameplay elements and to establish the story.

While I have never agreed with others on GAF who recommend VC as a straight JRPG to people (because it doesn't have the freedom of exploration that is a big part of JRPGs), it is a SRPG and it does have elements of role-playing. You know, those words which R and P stand for. You take the role of a character, and your character moves through a complex story, forming relationships with others. Even your troops have their own personalities. While no, you cannot choose your own missions, and you don't have dialogue trees, it's still in abstract terms a role-playing game. But the focus is on the Strategy part.

I suggest you stick with it, and trust the many other people on GAF who love the game.

How do you specialize soldiers? I'm on Chapter 5 and right now I can give them experience to progress them on a linear leveling system (Snipers Level 3 -> Snipers Level 4) which doesn't give you any indication of what you're doing beyond occasionally handing you new orders.

I can also upgrade their weapons, which are also linear progression systems (SMG 2 -> SMG 3), and their armor (Armor 1 -> Armor 2).

The game is handing me money hand-over-first so at no point have I had to choose between SMG 2 -> 3 vs Rifle 2 -> 3. I can always get everything.

Is that "technically" RPG? Yes, which is why I never said it wasn't an RPG. I said it's such a simplistic RPG that it's lack of depth would raise eyebrows as a premium tablet game, much less as a release for PC.

You know what else says something about the game's quality? The critical consensus and cult status the game has attained. Why the fuck would anyone give more weight to your single opinion than the multitude of (positive) opinions already out there?
Dark Souls 1 got cult status too, and while I enjoyed that I never understood how people could blindly recommend it to others without acknowledging that it was an absolutely terrible PC port. Even after the developers acknowledged how horrible of a job they did, Dark Souls fanboys would still defend the game to the death from any criticism seeking to warn potential new customers.

Same thing here. Cute story, some deeper moments here and there, on a simplistic RPG and strategy game with clumsy controls and a frustratingly labyrinthine menu system owing to the developers doing a complete cop-out when porting it over to PC.

But God forbid we acknowledge the flaws.

Sch1sm

I never actually played Skyrim. I loved Morrowind as a kid but I hated Oblivion. Is Skyrim good without needing tons of gameplay overhaul?

I'm with you on Oblivion. Bored me from the get go. Skyrim, though. I enjoyed every one of the 300+ hours I poured into it on PS3, no questions. Even when I couldn't get two steps into Markarth without guards attempting to destroy me because I couldn't pay my bounty to the Thane in some insane bug that lasted weeks. It's fine without overhauls entirely unless you're looking for replay value. It has some great mods, however, wouldn't discount those.

delirium

I'm with you on Oblivion. Bored me from the get go. Skyrim, though. I enjoyed every one of the 300+ hours I poured into it on PS3, no questions. Even when I couldn't get two steps into Markarth without guards attempting to destroy me because I couldn't pay my bounty to the Thane in some insane bug that lasted weeks. It's fine without overhauls entirely unless you're looking for replay value. It has some great mods, however, wouldn't discount those.
Well, what bored me with Oblivion was the really bad writing. Fallout 3 had serviceable writing. Has Bethesda finally gotten good writers?

D3RANG3D

Well, what bored me with Oblivion was the really bad writing. Fallout 3 had serviceable writing. Has Bethesda finally gotten good writers?

Did you play the good quests in Oblivion though like Dark Brotherhood/Thieves Guild/Shivering Isles?

Nothing in Skyrim comes close to these.

Uthred

Aside from the complete lack of dialogue options which would allow you to define your character

But the games not trying to do this. Like a lot of RPG's, and definitely SRPG's, out there you're playing a cast of established characters. The characters are already defined. You're exploring their story, seems rather unfair to condem it as a failing simply because you (evidently) dont like that approach.

Can anyone gift me Bulletstorm? I can only buy the heavily censored german version.... (want to know how heavy exactly? check http://www.schnittberichte.com/schnittbericht.php?ID=973741 )

I can either paypal you 5$ or you can choose something from the list below - the colored box shows on which service the key is redeemable.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fw2Plf_sLeGytcT7hY7LrXjFozJDACyAw3y_5Q-e4ug/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks, steam id is alucard2_de

I can help you out, but I'm not sure if it's possible to gift it anymore with the recent changes. Anyone know if you can still trade it with the new restrictions?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Kayant, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kayant, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Guest Pass: Killing Floor -- MB-F11F83E46D14702B
Trine 2: Complete Story #2 -- MB-8FB28B1E68EC0C68 - Taken by Sch1sm. 11 entrants total.
Dear Esther -- MB-D5292D6C4F6F122E - Taken by autoduelist. 15 entrants total.
Psychonauts -- MB-F4ACB4C171D9E3EB - Taken by The Reloader. 11 entrants total.
Screencheat -- MB-B3A29032DAB7E89E - Taken by S1n1st3r. 24 entrants total.
Trine 2: Complete Story -- MB-9777B7D54C4A3917 - Taken by tioslash. 11 entrants total.

t1419202189z1.png

jtb

Banned
All three should be cheaper at some point

Divinity at 33%, South Park at 66%, and Wasteland maybe at 33%.

hmmm okay. would probably pull the trigger on South Park at that price, probably wait on Divinity and Wasteland until next summer (especially with... in theory.... Pillars of Eternity around corner)

--

how mandatory are the EU4 expansions? I haven't put that much time into the base game, but I've put hundreds of hours into Vicky 2, EU3, HOI2, etc. seems like they're a lot smaller in scope than Paradox's usual expansions, don't even know where to begin with them... just get them all? roll with vanilla?

Momentary

Banned
Here's a list of notable SHMUPs that were released this year that fans should keep an eye out for if they show up as "NEW DEALS" or "DAILY DEALS."

Crimzon Clover is currently on sale for $3.39.

Danmaku Unlimited 2 is currently on sale for $1.99

Astebreed is currently onb sale for $4.49

Revolver 360 RE:ACTOR is currently on sale for $4.99

Ikaruga maintains its $9.99 price tag.

Hangeki is currently on sale for $8.49

RefleX is currently on sale for $3.99. There's also ALLTYNEX Second and Kamui that make up the other part of this trilogy, but don't expect them to get a discount since they were just released.

Savant Ascent was released in December of last year, but it was recently updated in October with a free expansion. It's currently on sale at $0.99

Xevo

I can help you out, but I'm not sure if it's possible to gift it anymore with the recent changes. Anyone know if you can still trade it with the new restrictions?

Already taken care of, works like a charme - the new changes only restrict trading from some low price regions like Russia. Thanks anyway!

D3RANG3D

Here's a list of notable SHMUPs that were released this year that fans should keep an eye out for if they show up as "NEW DEALS" or "DAILY DEALS."

Savant Ascent was released in December of last year, but it was recently updated in October with a free expansion. It's currently on sale at $0.99

http://store.steampowered.com/app/281860/

_woLf

Everyone should vote for Clickteam Fusion to win the community choice :3

I've been interested in that engine for awhile and that'd be a great price to pick it up...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Okay that's just an argument from popularity, which is pretty bad, sorry to say. He's allowed to dislike the game, it just happens that his criticisms so far have little to no merit.

Dark Souls 1 got cult status too, and while I enjoyed that I never understood how people could blindly recommend it to others without acknowledging that it was an absolutely terrible PC port. Even after the developers acknowledged how horrible of a job they did, Dark Souls fanboys would still defend the game to the death from any criticism seeking to warn potential new customers.
Uh, everyone knows about the PC port issues, because with the brain-dead easy-to-install Durante fix it's been turned into the most definitive version of the game? There's nothing to "warn" potential customers about. What a terrible example.

I don't know about Skyrim, but I have no complains about the writing in Fallout: New Vegas. (I do have tons of other complains but not about the writing... xD) Nevermind, wrong dev.

Durante

RefleX is currently on sale for $3.99

Great post. The eXceed games are also on sale, though I only really enjoyed the second one.

So are the games in the Gundemonium Collection series, with the whole package at $5. That one is certainly worth it.

Grief.exe

Warn about what exactly? The biggest issues have been fixed entirely. Are they still there? Sure, but the reality is they don't effect the end user.

Resolution? Fixed within minutes of release.
Mouse control? Fixed just after release, though I would still recommend controller for a 3rd person action game.
Framerate? Game was a solid 30 even on modest systems, but was unlocked to 60 just after release.
GFWL? Removed last week.

How do you specialize soldiers? I'm on Chapter 5 and right now I can give them experience to progress them on a linear leveling system (Snipers Level 3 -> Snipers Level 4) which doesn't give you any indication of what you're doing beyond occasionally handing you new orders.

I can also upgrade their weapons, which are also linear progression systems (SMG 2 -> SMG 3), and their armor (Armor 1 -> Armor 2).

Yes, well they are enlisted troops, not special ops forces, so it makes sense that their gear is more standardized with a linear tech path. Your tank is where the real customization options are, choosing what weapon types to focus on, or spending your money on armor, etc.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Warn about what exactly? The biggest issues have been fixed entirely. Are they still there? Sure, but the reality is they don't effect the end user.

Mouse control? Fixed just after release, though I would still recommend controller for a 3rd person action game.
Framerate? Game was a solid 30 even on modest systems, but was unlocked to 60 just after release.
GFWL? Removed last week.

Plus i dont think anybody really defended the game's technical problems. Game was praised despite its issues because its core was so good. And thankfully now things have been patched and fixed probably becuase so many bothered to buy it.

NeckToChicken

Unconfirmed Member
Note: I also just completed chapter 5.

How do you specialize soldiers?

The game is handing me money hand-over-first so at no point have I had to choose between SMG 2 -> 3 vs Rifle 2 -> 3. I can always get everything.

If you scroll down the weapon tree, you'll see that all of them split at some point, barring grenades I think? I believe snipers/lances have two different lines and machineguns/rifles have three. There's also the option to use enemy weapons taken from aces which seem to be weapon sidegrades. The tank upgrades seem to be linear but also cost more, with the choice being for accessories based on space. I would avoid doing skirmishes if you think the game is handing you too much money.

Choosing which soldiers to use and unlock the hidden potential of presents a choice as well (mechanism of which I'm guessing comes through repeated use): one of my scouts gained an ability where she just forgets to reload. But I can swap her out as needed or even throw her back into the recruiting pool if I wanted to.

Purposefully inflammatory language does the game and the discussion a disservice. If you don't like it, that's fine. All games aren't going to be alike in how they play and progress. But to face consistent praise with "but it's really a bad game guys" accomplishes nothing.

A lot of it is looking at clues and facial expressions during conversations to figure out if they're lying or holding something back. It's interesting enough at $5, at the very least.

You can unlock the framerate. PCGW should help.

It found it intersting but they really aren't difficult if that's what you're looking for. The thing that was great was trying to figure out if a person was lying or not based on their facial behavior.

It's a good game but it could have been way better.

If you like film noir at all then go for it. I loved it on PS3 when it launched. I just bought it again to replay it myself.

Thanks, bought it. Looking forward to playing it.

Kayant

Yessssssss! Been waiting for shadow warrior to go on sale again and oh my is the price beautiful. So brought.

Tempted to buy Spintires should I bite?

autoduelist

A couple questions --

1) Is the 'digital deluxe' version of M&M Legacy X worth the extra money?

2) Are games that are on sale for 70%-75% for the entire sale (Breach & Clear, Nation Red) 'safe' to buy, or do even they fall into the 'buy last day' category?

3) Does DLC for F2P games ever go on sale? For example, I've been interested in trying M&M Duel Of Champions, and was hoping the DLC would go on sale with other M&M games, but today seems to be the M&M sale but no discount on the DoC DLC. Is that sop?

Big thank you to whoever posted that Steamdb page that lists the hidden daily sales. It was driving me crazy missing them. I don't understand why these timed sales aren't on the front page. Found Warmachine Tactics is another 'unlisted' daily sale. Game looks great, still priced too high for me though.

Sajjaja

GFWL? Removed last week.

To be fair, it's still unoptimized. I get framerate drops despite being well above the requirements. Mouse controls still shit. GFWL has been there for two years now, and while it's Steamworks now, they still haven't gotten it right with the region lock. Yeah, it was a shit port. Having their userbase fix this does not change the fact that the devs made a shit port.

Would anyone be kind enough to get me one Shadow of Mordor key from Nuveem while it's on sale for 45 Reals?

I'll get you something worth 13€ from Steam in exchange, some time tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. I'd get the key myself, but I don't have any money on my debit card right now, and the deal has a countdown that ends in 45 minutes, while my bank opens in 9-10 hours from now, so I can't transfer my money to my card in time.

Or, if anyone can confirm that the Nuveem deal (this one) is going to be available tomorrow, I'll just get it myself after I transfer some money on my card tomorrow.

Momentary

Banned
Great post. The eXceed games are also on sale, though I only really enjoyed the second one.

So are the games in the Gundemonium Collection series, with the whole package at $5. That one is certainly worth it.

Yeah. I thought about making an all encompassing post for SHMUPs on Steam, but I thought to just go with 2014 releases that are likely to go on sale. There's Redux: Dark Matters and Geometry Wars 3, but I highly doubt they'll go on sale this year.

This one slipped my mind because of the recent release of the rest of the trilogy. I was in the mindset of no discount when this was actually released way earlier this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom