• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

autoduelist

Ok, champ - you tell me what RPG elements Valkyrie Chronicles has.

Aside from the complete lack of dialogue options which would allow you to define your character, the actual statistical advancement mechanics are abstracted, linear, and pointless. You advance troop "types" and the advancement is done on a linear line with no selection or divergence. It's just Level 1 -> Level 2 -> Level 3. You have zero opportunity to specialize your troops in any way and the most you can do is watch their numbers go up and assume they're getting better at something.

This isn't opinion. Nothing I'm saying is up for debate, because it's how the freaking game was made.

You can argue whether or not you LIKE bare-bones RPG mechanics that can barely be deemed such, but you can't lie and pretend this game actually has depth.

Very few of the RPGs I love have any 'dialogue options'.
For VC, you're leaving out all sorts of things, like how different characters have likes/dislikes and get bonuses in use with each other. But at it's core it's a srpg anyway, and never really pretends to be anything more. I have my issues with VC (specifically, I think it's mission scoring system is horrible and forces a 'rush' game with scouts), but I seriously don't understand your position here, even if it's "not up for debate" and anyone who disagrees with you is "lying".

Grief.exe

Would Bound By Flame be a game worth $10? I've been on an RPG fix recently.

logosntuii.png

Nyoro SF

Aside from the complete lack of dialogue options which would allow you to define your character, the actual statistical advancement mechanics are abstracted, linear, and pointless. You advance troop "types" and the advancement is done on a linear line with no selection or divergence. It's just Level 1 -> Level 2 -> Level 3. You have zero opportunity to specialize your troops in any way and the most you can do is watch their numbers go up and assume they're getting better at something.

This isn't opinion. Nothing I'm saying is up for debate, because it's how the freaking game was made.

You can argue whether or not you LIKE bare-bones RPG mechanics that can barely be deemed such, but you can't lie and pretend this game actually has depth.

Leveling by Class is FAR preferable to leveling up by unit, because it removes pointless per-unit grinding. Some of the greatest RPGs of all time level by class.

Also your shitty POV which is based off a load of completely incorrect statements got you BANNED from the Valkyria Chronicles Steam community hub, so you should take the time to either enjoy the game for what it is or go back to whatever game you enjoy more instead of shitting up threads about the game with loads of nonsense.

Lomax

A couple questions --

1) Is the 'digital deluxe' version of M&M Legacy X worth the extra money?

2) Are games that are on sale for 70%-75% for the entire sale (Breach & Clear, Nation Red) 'safe' to buy, or do even they fall into the 'buy last day' category?

3) Does DLC for F2P games ever go on sale? For example, I've been interested in trying M&M Duel Of Champions, and was hoping the DLC would go on sale with other M&M games, but today seems to be the M&M sale but no discount on the DoC DLC. Is that sop?

Big thank you to whoever posted that Steamdb page that lists the hidden daily sales. It was driving me crazy missing them. I don't understand why these timed sales aren't on the front page. Found Warmachine Tactics is another 'unlisted' daily sale. Game looks great, still priced too high for me though.

1) Yes, you get Heroes VI and the DLC for only a small amount more, if you're going to buy it, may as well get the deluxe. Edit: Was wrong about the free game.

2) Generally yes, but we've already had several games at 80% or more get flash deals pushing them to 90% off, so wait unless you really want it right this minute. But if it's obviously an older, obscure game, the chances of a daily are pretty slim.

3) Yes, but it varies a lot. If it didn't get a sale with the franchise, it probably won't. Only the most popular f2p games get dailies and with no f2p related items this sale it seems Valve may be backing away from f2p games for the moment.

chixdiggit

Finally got around to playing Five Nights at Freddy's. Holy crap is it terrible. I did not for one second find it fun or scary.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Just put an hour into "How to Survive" and it seems decent, well worth the £1.70 I paid for it with all the DLC.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
That community choice perfectly illustrates why one vote every 24 hours is stupid. I bought Shadow Warrior Classic Redux for 69p though so the day isn't a total bust.

1) Yes, you get Heroes VI and the DLC for only a small amount more, if you're going to buy it, may as well get the deluxe. Edit: Was wrong about the free game.

Yeah it's Might & Magic VI, not Heroes VI.

PBalfredo

Is anyone else in the same position as me where each day from here to Christmas I'm kinda hoping the daily deals are crap just so I'm not tempted to spend too much before I get my Christmas cash?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Is anyone else in the same position as me where each day from here to Christmas I'm kinda hoping the daily deals are crap just so I'm not tempted to spend too much before I get my Christmas cash?

Yes, which means the think-tank at valve is aware of this, which means they might put all the best deals up now cause later when everyone has excess cash to burn they will buy cheap steam games anyway. You see what i mean mang?

Krakn3Dfx

Played almost 2 hours of Spintires, drove my truck to pick up some lumber, drove all the way back across the map to drop it off, got stuck in the mud in a field, now I have to haul another truck out to pull the lumber truck out of the mud.

Ass8m.gif

I love this game.

Nyoro SF

I'm still holding out for Trails in the Sky to get a slightly cheaper Daily. I have until January 2nd to save a few bucks... I can wait!

AMUSIX

Well, I just added Skyrim Legendary to my PC library. Played about half of the game on 360, always meant to go back...Suppose now I have to start installing that laundry list of mods, huh?

Purkake4

Banned
Played almost 2 hours of Spintires, drove my truck to pick up some lumber, drove all the way back across the map to drop it off, got stuck in the mud in a field, now I have to haul another truck out to pull the lumber truck out of the mud.

Ass8m.gif

I love this game.
Spintires is amazing, it's a real shame what happened to the developer.

Sad to hear that about Spintires. I just picked it up last sale. It needs a lot of work in terms of UI and camera but the core tech is amazing.

Devolver Digital should swoop in and pick that up if he decides to split and make a new game. I'll probably ask for a refund in that case.

PBalfredo

Yes, which means the think-tank at valve is aware of this, which means they might put all the best deals up now cause later when everyone has excess cash to burn they will buy cheap steam games anyway. You see what i mean mang?

Yeah, I was kind of thinking they front load some of the good deal like how a few days ago the daily deal was the first time Valkeryia Chronicles has been on sale. I had to buy that, but hopefully nothing else too tempting comes out between now and Christmas.

Finally picked up Portal 1 & 2. 80% off be effective.

LoL.

Even in a Steam Thread: WOJ! (What Is JRPG?)

Speevy

Banned
What are some REAAAALLY cheap games I could grab my nephew who just started up his Steam library?

He only has Intel graphics so he can't run a ton of 3D stuff, but I figured there might be a game or two for cheap I could buy him. I got him Bit.Trip Runner 2.

He's only 11 and likes games of all types. He's big into Minecraft and also likes Five Nights at Freddy's (has both) as well as any games with horror stuff in them. However, I reckon he'd play just about anything that he could understand without too much hassle.

Crzy1

Would Bound By Flame be a game worth $10? I've been on an RPG fix recently.

I didn't find it to be completely terrible. It's a solid 6 in my book. I think I gave $17 for it when I got it, for $10 I'd say go for it. It's pretty challenging if that's your thing, too.

I'm hoping Lords of the Fallen goes 75% off, very tempted to just go ahead and buy it at 50% off, though. Very itchy clicky finger.

Speevy

Banned
Dark Messiah is fun, but I really wish I could play it with a controller. Even after PC gaming for a while, using my keyboard like that just feels like finger gymnastics.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I didn't find it to be completely terrible. It's a solid 6 in my book. I think I gave $17 for it when I got it, for $10 I'd say go for it. It's pretty challenging if that's your thing, too.

I'm hoping Lords of the Fallen goes 75% off, very tempted to just go ahead and buy it at 50% off, though. Very itchy clicky finger.

wait for the dailies you bastard

Crzy1

wait for the dailies you bastard

I'm hanging in there! But it's been 3 days! *shakes*

Also, a question for people who have played The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. I enjoyed Gone Home, Dear Esther (I bought them both at steep discounts) and pretty much any narrative driven game, would The Vanishing be worth grabbing for $12? Still feels a little steep, but it's just been covered up with praise, so I'm thinking of pulling the trigger.

Wookieomg

After seeing Rayman Legends is currently on sale for $10 on Amazon, I realized I hadn't picked up Origins yet, so impulsively went into Steam and bought it for $6... Only realizing afterwards that it will probably have a deeper discount this sale.

;_;

Zeeman

L.A. Noire Complete doesn't appear to be available in Canada for some reason. I don't want to have to buy the DLC separately.

Wait. What's the difference between Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun: Dragonfall (DC)?

Apparently Dragonfall wasn't standalone, but then was made to be?

Shadowrun Returns was the base game and Dragonfall an expansion which was later released as a stand alone, which is Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut.

The stand alone is a way more polished version of the expansion. And Dragonfall was better then Returns.

Lomax

Thats terrible. We should be boycotting the game.

Publisher has responded and claims the whole thing is a misunderstanding, so it remains to be seen.

What's the current situation on GFWL? I want to pick up Bulletstorm, but I'm a little hesitant.

It will die with GFWL and be completely unplayable at that point. So if you want to play it, buy it now and play it now. There's no sign GFWL will be removed.

Wait. What's the difference between Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun: Dragonfall (DC)?

It started as a DLC alternate campaign but was expanded and spun off into its own game and is now considered the definitive one to get.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?

They're two different campaigns. Dragonfall was originally a DLC campaign for the original, but they smartly made it so you can buy it by itself.

Just about everyone says Dragonfall is the better campaign, and I'd agree, but Returns' Dead Man Switch campaign is pretty cool too.

I'm a completely biased Shadowrun fan though.

After seeing Rayman Legends is currently on sale for $10 on Amazon, I realized I hadn't picked up Origins yet, so impulsively went into Steam and bought it for $6... Only realizing afterwards that it will probably have a deeper discount this sale.

;_;
Did you also realize Legends includes most of Origins' levels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom