• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will get flamed by someone here for saying this but if you really like Dark Messiah look at Hunted the Demon's Forge. The atmosphere and level pacing really reminded me of Dark Messiah.

But don't trust me I also liked War in the North.

Facism

Bought Astebreed and now i'm getting spammed with friend requests from [Unassigned] steam accounts.

Fucking scammers.

TheBear

This sale is super underwhelming. I haven't bought a thing.
Is it not as impressive as previous years or am I imagining things?

Man, why won't Stick of Truth go any cheaper? This 12.31 in steambucks is burning a hole in my steamwallet.

Reposting this

Damn, too bad I only have steambucks left.

I really want the Dragonborn DLC, I stopped playing ages ago(and never finished skyrim) but I remember wanting this because it would probably make me finish the game lol.

Yrael

I haven't bought anything yet either. I think it's because most of the games on my wishlist are fairly new releases (other games that I've wanted I've nabbed in past sales), so I'm waiting for them to get even bigger discounts.

-MD-

I haven't bought anything yet either. I think it's because most of the games on my wishlist are fairly new releases (other games that I've wanted I've nabbed in past sales), so I'm waiting for them to get even bigger discounts.

Yep, I bought every old/cheap game I wanted on steam years ago, now it's just recent titles that I refuse to pay more than 10 bucks for.

Panda Rin

I just picked up Dragonborn from Amazon, and after 3 years of procrastinating, I finally finished Skyrim's main story. Turns out I was only about 15 minutes from actually finishing it. Don't know why I just randomly stopped. Still going back and forth to whether I want Dawnguard.

I think it's just more of the same sale every year, so it loses its wonder and excitement after the first few sales.

jholmes

I haven't bought anything yet and a bunch of stuff I'm looking to buy hasn't hit a really good price. That said a bunch of stuff I do own has been on crazy prices, so I can't really hate on those sales.

Wookieomg

That $5 Dragonborn deal is too good to pass up. I've held off for what feels like forever, as I'm sure others have. But it's time to pull dat trigger.

Might actually go finish this game now and see what new mods have come out since release. :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I think it's a combination of three things:

1) This sale is factually more underwhelming than previous sales; average sale % is much lower than before, and there are more games sitting out the sale than in the past.

2) Even if a sale is as good, mostly subsequent sales are going to feel worse as you've already claimed all the low-hanging fruit.

3) Competition is stiffer. Not from other stores (GMG's sale sucks, Amazon is totally out of the game), but from bundles and other non-sale discount opportunities during the year.

Maddocks

Temped to get Spintires. I like the idea and the videos I watched of it are interesting and look fun. But I'm paranoid that while 66% off is a great deal, I expect that in 4 days it will end up a flash sale for 80% or something and ruin my mood lol

diablogod

I am looking to get into a Rise of Nations: Extended Edition 4-Pack AND an Age of Mythology: Extended Edition 4-Pack. I would host it myself, but I am in WA, so I have to pay 8% extra tax on all Steam purchases.

Rise of Nations: Extended Edition 4-Pack ($3.74 per person)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/287450/

2. cicero

Age of Mythology: Extended Edition 4-Pack ($5.62 per person)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/266840/

2. cicero

I ended up buying a 4-Pack of Age of Mythology: Extended Edition for $5.62 PayPal each, if anyone wants send me a PM

teiresias

Debating to get Alien Isolation on Daily, haven't really read much about it, is it actiony or more atmospheric? This would be my one bigger purchase during the sale if I get it, so I may just wait and see what else comes in rotation since I'm not sure I'm dying to play it (though I could really do with a good horror game since there's so few and I never really took to Amnesia).

Picked up Dawnguard and Dragonborn. When I finally upgrade my 680 to a 970 I plan to mod out Skyrim and go back into it again. Unfortunately, I didn't preserve my old saves so I'll have to start from scratch. Ugh.

I forget, has This War of Mine been featured as a flash/daily yet?
I think it's a combination of three things:

1) This sale is factually more underwhelming than previous sales; average sale % is much lower than before, and there are more games sitting out the sale than in the past.

2) Even if a sale is as good, mostly subsequent sales are going to feel worse as you've already claimed all the low-hanging fruit.

3) Competition is stiffer. Not from other stores (GMG's sale sucks, Amazon is totally out of the game), but from bundles and other non-sale discount opportunities during the year.

GMG's sale is spectacular!
TheGreenManGoblin.png

Ventara

I see. Thanks. NinjaEdit: To both of you, even.

It'll probably be a low discount even while featued, but TWOM's concept is too good to ignore. Some games are worth the big monies.

That's definitely true, and I'm very tempted. I totally wanted to jump on that Indie Gala deal where you'd get a free copy if you spent $30, but the selection of games on their store was pathetic. Couldn't come up with $10 worth.

That's definitely true, and I'm very tempted. I totally wanted to jump on that Indie Gala deal where you'd get a free copy if you spent $30, but the selection of games on their store was pathetic. Couldn't come up with $10 worth.

Haha, yup.

Spend $30 to save $15... what a dangerous road to take.

CaLe

Anyone played both Might and Magic X and Grimrock 2 ? I'm torn between the two...

I just got an Nvidia Shield tablet and a bluetooth keyboard / mouse, and I'm looking for some good RPGs to play while in bed at night.

Corpekata

Banned
Anyone played both Might and Magic X and Grimrock 2 ? I'm torn between the two...

I just got an Nvidia Shield tablet and a bluetooth keyboard / mouse, and I'm looking for some good RPGs to play while in bed at night.

Pretty different games really. Turn based game like MMX would probably be more suited to streaming to a tablet though (and the small screen can mask how ugly it can be).

lol, people say this every year. It's just that you own a lot of games already.

We need a bingo card for these kinds of things:

"What are the odds Skyrim will be on sale?"

"Man the DLC isn't on sale?"

[before sale updates] "wtf only 10% off on the front page?"

"This sale is disappointing."

Most of the time if I think a sale is underwhelming it's probably the fault of no truly compelling games coming out recently, so it's the games that are underwhelming, not the discounts being offered. And the frequency of sales throughout the year from other vendors plus the value from sub services like PSN+ has lessened the unique impact Steam Winter Sales once had. Lots of pubs not waiting until XMas to deeply discount games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom