• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Well I may have only played 20 odd mins of it but Brothers A Tale Of Two Sons is the kind of puzzle game I've being crying out for ages.

No tutorials other than you use the triggers to use each respective brother to interact with each object and then those interactions are context sensitive. Doesn't seam like it's going to be too complex but you have to apply a bit of reasoning as to which brother will do what and which one you use on a certain object. For example
the little brother isn't very strong so you need to use the big brother to do the heavy lifting type levers and so on but the little brother is more agile so you use him to climb up
and so on.

Plus it's got a very distinctive art style and looks great in 3D, as PedroPanache said earlier in the thread. What a shame that the encore sale is another AAA love in as this could be a great pick up for people who may have missed it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Work in progress...

kTEeo4a.png

wow, that's really a gamechanger

C4rter

Were the non-dailies supposed to return to full price today? I was holding out on Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut to see if it made a return appearance, but it didn't and is back to full price? Isn't the sale still on-going? :S

Even worse, the price is still 19,99€ for me even though I own Deus Ex HR und Missing Link. The note on the store page, saying that I get the DC for way less, is now also gone. So annoying.

Cth

I'm kind of pissed that I bought The Swapper without realizing it doesn't have controller support. How the fuck does this game not support that?

Already covered multiple times earlier in the thread.

It does have the ability to support it if you absolutely HAVE to have it.

That being said, you don't need it.

I thought the same thing when I first bought it, finally gave up on finding a free solution to getting the gamepad to work.. never looked back.

You should kick yourself if you don't play the game.. it's that good. It'd be a shame to miss out on one of the GOTY candidates because of it. I prefer to play on the couch with the laptop and I caved in and moved it to the table to play and had a lot of fun.

That's actually what I was thinking when I entered for it, I don't want Rogue Legacy. :p

I have both, so here's hoping its something else as I love rogue likes :lol:

Nymphae

Banned
From what I've read, The Swapper would be pretty difficult to control with a controller. It is very much designed to be played with K+M.

Sigh, I know it does appear that way, I was just hoping I could do the first few levels from my couch. First world problems.

This reminds me that I'm very interested to see how the new Steam controller will work, they claimed it would be just as effective as k+m, and it'll support every game on the platform right?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Would anyone like a Holiday Sale 2013 - Payday 2 background? I have two I'm never going to sell and no one wants it for trade (though all I want is Super House Of Dead Ninja cards, so that's understandable) , so if two people are interested, they will get one.

I'm kind of pissed that I bought The Swapper without realizing it doesn't have controller support. How the fuck does this game not support that?

It really is a game designed for the precision of a mouse for the smoothest and most comfortable experience for the player. However you are not alone in wanting gamepad support and the makers of the game are working on it.

If you can't wait for that to come out there are a number of tools you can use such as JoyToKey.

Does the DS4 automatically support PC?

There are a few games that you can simply plug in the controller via USB and have it working right away, with future games offering more support natively as well as Sony working on a full driver support to send out.

However we can make it work just fine now via fan drivers, including touchpad as mentioned. http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper
Works wonderfully and is already my favourite gamepad to use.

Cth

Here:
http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/pc-...pad-joystick/xbox-360-ps3-psx-etc/the-swapper

theswappercontrollerlay.png

theswappercontrollercon.png

Full Jump: The "Jump" key in the game is designed to make you jump higher the longer you hold it down. In practice though there is never a point in the game where you would rather "hop" than do a full jump. Therefore, I've simply made the jump button on the controller always do a full jump, no matter how long you press the button. So basically, just tap it for all your needs (as long as your needs involve jumping)!

Use and Grab: I've consolidated the "Use" and "Grab" keys into one action on the controller. The two actions are mutually exclusive, so there's no reason you can't just hit "X" next to something you want to use, and then hold "X" on objects you want to grab. Simples!

Toggle Map: The other screens (Pause Menu, Memory Log, Teleport Screen) are all toggled screens within the game already. For consistency, I felt it was better to make the Map screen a toggle also. In general, I find toggling screens feels more natural for a controller, instead of having to hold down buttons.

Create Clone - Toggle: Instead of having to hold down the "Create Clone" key (which you have to do if playing with a KB/M), I've put this command on a toggle. I've found this to be the preferable method of using the cloning mechanic when using a controller, plus it opened up the possibility for me to create extra shortcut commands.

Cancel Clone/Close Screen: "B" has always instinctively been the "I don't want to do whatever it is I'm in the process of doing anymore" button, so I've attempted to implement that into the game. This means you can close the Map and Memory Log screens using the "B" button (couldn't make it work with the Pause Menu and Teleport Menu though I'm afraid). Additionally, since you'll be toggling the "Create Clone" mode, I added the ability to cancel out of "Create Clone" mode without being forced to create a clone (which I made work using some Map screen shenaniganry!)

Make Clone + Swap: While in "Create Clone" mode (via the Toggle), pressing this button will automagically create a clone and then instantly swap you into it. No need to pull off any lightning-fast button combos! There are many times when you want to create clones and swap straight into them, so this one's pretty handy, and helps make up for not using a mouse. If you're not in "Create Clone" mode then this button will act as a simple "Swap" button.

Make Clone - No exit: While in "Create Clone" mode (via the Toggle), pressing this button will create a clone, but still keep you in "Create Clone" mode. This is handy because you can create a clone but still be in that wonderful "Create Clone" slow motion time, giving you more time to perform your next action.

Clone + Swap - No exit: While in "Create Clone" mode (via the Toggle), pressing this button will create a clone and instantly swap you into that clone, without exiting out of "Create Clone" mode (and thus keeping you in slow motion). This ultimate combo action should assist you in avoiding time-sensitive deaths. (Of which many are inflicted by gravity!)

Like I said, Pinnacle isn't free, so there's that to consider.

zkylon

zkylewd

btw having the "add all dlc to the cart"+price button available without having to click on the "see all" button and then scroll down might be pretty cool too

it's a little dangerous since you don't know what you're adding but you could allow it to be disabled if people don't trust themselves :p

also maybe show the total $$$ from all the dlc you've selected?

and to top it off maybe make the "add all dlc" button to just tick all the checkboxes so you can maybe pick everything, then say I don't like this and not have to reload to remove it at the checkout page.

:D

Something weird I noticed, as I peruse DLC to finish out the sale potentially:

I bought the Columbia's Finest DLC pack for Bioshock Infinite on Wednesday when it was priced off to 25% @ $1.24. It shows up fine in my license/sub page:

BioShock Infinite - Columbia's Finest Package

Yet, if I view the page on steam for Columbia's Finest, it does not tell me I own it.

Any idea what's up with this? Not even enhanced Steam recognizes it -- though I checked the DLC properties tab for the game and the two sub packages are there.

Carm

Borderlands 2 worth it for a lonely bastard?

If you played the first Borderlands and find it enjoyable solo like me then yes.

QzqOKWs.png

All by myself :(

If you still haven't made your decision yes it's worth it, unless you're the type that thinks games like Diablo can't be fun solo.

Roughly 500 of that is solo. I haven't even touched the third play through on any of my characters yet.

All 4 Campaign DLCs are worth it, Tiny Tina's Assaunt on Dragon Keep is by the best of the 4 though.

The two extra characters, Mechromancer and Psycho are both worth it.

The Ultimate Vault Hunters Upgrade Pack 1 is worth it if you plan on playing through the second and third playthrough (higher difficulties), otherwise you cap out at level 50 I believe. You can also keep resetting quests in playthrough 3 to redo them I believe.

Ultimate Vault Hunters Upgrade Pack 2 is worth it if you do all of that and need more levels and a different leveling system after capping again.

Season pass is: 4 Campaign DLCs, Ultimate Vault Hunters Upgrade Pack 1

G-Fex

I bought Civilization V after playing the demo.

I think I was having a lot of fun and it's pretty addictive. I'm not the smartest but I think I was doing alright in it. I was just hoping it wouldn't be too complex

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
btw having the "add all dlc to the cart"+price button available without having to click on the "see all" button and then scroll down might be pretty cool too

it's a little dangerous since you don't know what you're adding but you could allow it to be disabled if people don't trust themselves :p

also maybe show the total $$$ from all the dlc you've selected?

and to top it off maybe make the "add all dlc" button to just tick all the checkboxes so you can maybe pick everything, then say I don't like this and not have to reload to remove it at the checkout page.

:D

I probably won't touch Valve's button, it uses some funky javascript on their end. I may add the total of the DLC you've selected to the bottom next to the button, but it's difficult due to the 5 different possible currencies these could be listed in.

I'll be adding some more options to the top bar that will bring down an additional dialog (that will be hidden by default) that will allow you to invert the selection / check only unowned / check wishlisted / etc) that should let you do anything you could think of with this.

Something weird I noticed, as I peruse DLC to finish out the sale potentially:

I bought the Columbia's Finest DLC pack for Bioshock Infinite on Wednesday when it was priced off to 25% @ $1.24. It shows up fine in my license/sub page:

BioShock Infinite - Columbia's Finest Package

Yet, if I view the page on steam for Columbia's Finest, it does not tell me I own it.

Any idea what's up with this? Not even enhanced Steam recognizes it -- though I checked the DLC properties tab for the game and the two sub packages are there.

This happens sometimes, and unfortunately the only way I know how to resolve it is to open a support ticket with Steam support.

BiggNife

Hey, is anyone else having trouble getting to the Steam Community site? It's not working for me in chrome and the steam client itself. I can't view my inventory or my profile, look at friend activity, etc. It's super annoying and I don't know why it's happening. I can still view my friends list, send messages, buy stuff from the store, download games and patches, and so on. It's just the community site.

Nabs

Ruze789

Would anyone like a Holiday Sale 2013 - Payday 2 background? I have two I'm never going to sell and no one wants it for trade (though all I want is Super House Of Dead Ninja cards, so that's understandable) , so if two people are interested, they will get one.

I'd like one of those if still available please! That was the only background I was hoping to get, but I'm using the Rogue Legacy one since that's what I got.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Ruze789/

Edit: Thanks KenOD!

This happens sometimes, and unfortunately the only way I know how to resolve it is to open a support ticket with Steam support.

Is there any reason I should care other than accidentally rebuying it?

--

Another thought -- you paint the table for games in your library (green) and wishlist (blue) -- ever thought of adding a color for "in your cart"?

zkylon

zkylewd
I probably won't touch Valve's button, it uses some funky javascript on their end. I may add the total of the DLC you've selected to the bottom next to the button, but it's difficult due to the 5 different possible currencies these could be listed in.

I'll be adding some more options to the top bar that will bring down an additional dialog (that will be hidden by default) that will allow you to invert the selection / check only unowned / check wishlisted / etc) that should let you do anything you could think of with this.
ah that sounds pretty cool

you never get tired of adding shit up dontcha

I had a hell of a haul this sale with hardly any money to spend...

Super Hexagon
Surgeon Simulator
Necrovision
Overlord + Raising Hell
Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time
Papers, Please
Hacker Evolution: Untold
Far Cry 3 - Deluxe
EVE Online: Starter Pack
The Stanley Parable
Wizardry 6, 7, and 8
Bioshock Infinite (+ Season Pass)
Long Live the Queen
Knights of Pen & Paper Plus1
Little Inferno
Splice
Ys I and II Chronicles
Sniper Elite V2
Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut
Spacebase DF-9
Game Dev Tycoon
Alan Wake Bundle
Order of War
Dark Fall: Lost Souls
Grotesque Tactics 2 - Dungeons and Donuts
Hospital Tycoon
Dracula Origin
Don't Starve
Left 4 Dead 2

RPG Maker VX Ace

RPG Maker: Modern Music Mega-Pack
RPG Maker: Old School Modern Resource Pack
RPG Maker: DS+ Resource Pack
RPG Maker: Mythos Horror Resource Pack
RPG Maker: Survival Horror Music Pack
RPG Maker: Zombie Survival Graphic Pack
RPG Maker: The Nothing Battles Music Pack
RPG Maker: Cinematic Soundtrack Music Pack
RPG Maker: Modern Day Tiles Resource Pack
RPG Maker: High Fantasy Main Party Pack 1
RPG Maker: Arabian Nights
RPG Maker: Egyptian Myth Battlers
RPG Maker: DS Resource Pack
RPG Maker: Samurai Resource Pack
RPG Maker: Futuristic Tiles Resource Pack
RPG Maker: The Blackheart Power Music Pack
RPG Maker: High Fantasy 2 Resource Pack

Honeydew Skin for Sklldir
And Populous (on Origin)

My thanks go out to:
Volcynika (Ys I and II Chronicles)
Oublieux (Splice)
ramoisdead (Little Inferno)
SephirothRK (Knights of Pen & Paper & NecrovisioN)
crazyrabbits (Overlord w/ Raising Hell Expansion)
Tolerance (Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time)
mrgone (Hacker Evolution: Untold)
VibratingDonkey (Populous)
GraveHorizon (Honeydew Skin)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Torchlight -- MB-CFFCCB133C8C8DAF - Taken by gimel
Frozen Synapse -- MB-B8E33655C7755872
The Ship 2-Pack #2 -- MB-46509D9CE3ADC4A4
The Ship 2-Pack #1 -- MB-1CB14C7F866BDB6B

t1388795376z1.png

Argh, does anyone have snow globe #10 they'd be willing to trade? I've been trying to for the past two days with no luck and tonight's the last chance.

Should I get Hammerwatch or Valdis Story?

Not really a co-op gamer, but I'm afraid that Valdis Story is.. unfinished? From reading the user reviews. Is it fully playable and 'finished' ?

Should I get Hammerwatch or Valdis Story?

Not really a co-op gamer, but I'm afraid that Valdis Story is.. unfinished? From reading the user reviews. Is it fully playable and 'finished' ?

It's not Early Access, so I think it HAS to be "fully playable and 'finished'" outside of the "free DLC" that's coming if I remember another post in this thread correctly.

L00P

I just sold all my snow globe cards the second I posted them. People really want these things. I shoulda put a higher price on them and get at least a dollar :(

Busy week, haven't been able to talk to Steam GAF as often as I would like :(

I just bought XCOM: Enemy Unknown, first time playing it. Should I do Ironman? Sort of tempted to do so, I want to do normal but don't want the game to be too easy, I would like some sort of difficulty without having to jump up just yet.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Is there no "under the radar" recommendations thread this year? I'm looking for any puzzlers, platformers, RPGs or strategy games people think are good and probably overlooked

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I bought Civilization V after playing the demo.

I think I was having a lot of fun and it's pretty addictive. I'm not the smartest but I think I was doing alright in it. I was just hoping it wouldn't be too complex

It looks intimidating, but once you get the hang of it, it all becomes second nature. The only came I have come close to 200 hours on. I love it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there any reason I should care other than accidentally rebuying it?

You can't accidentally rebuy it as Steam runs a thorough cross-check during checkout to prevent duplicate purchases:

nopeilpr2.jpg

The issue of some items not being flagged as owned is just an innocuous bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom