• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I was freaking out for a bit here, I got both Sonic 1 and 2 on GAF giveaways (many thanks), but they were nowhere to be seen in my library, even though the store page for each says I own them. The "play now" button didn't do anything either.

Turns out they both agglutinated in an entry called "SEGA Genesis & Mega Drive Classics", which is a weird emulator thingy. Had no idea they worked this way.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is there any reason I should care other than accidentally rebuying it?

--

Another thought -- you paint the table for games in your library (green) and wishlist (blue) -- ever thought of adding a color for "in your cart"?

I wouldn't worry about it, there is even an extra validation step that Steam performs when you add something to your cart. Usually stuff like this shows up with the orange text underneath saying "You already own this" or whatever.

And, highlighting stuff that is in your cart is tricky for Enhanced Steam to do, since there are no good programming hooks that identify when something is added or removed. This is similar to things like the market highlighting, where it doesn't work immediately after you purchase a trading card or similar. So - it would be difficult to pull off and probably wouldn't of too much of a benefit to most users.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
One Holiday Sale 2013 - Payday 2 background to be given away, just needs to be asked for.

I bought Civilization V after playing the demo.

I think I was having a lot of fun and it's pretty addictive. I'm not the smartest but I think I was doing alright in it. I was just hoping it wouldn't be too complex

I'm sure it's already been shared with you since I saw them in previous threads, but just in case they haven't or if anyone else is thinking about Civilization V, two wonderful videos to help one out.

How to Play Civilization V - Quick and Dirty Beginner's Tutorial Guide (20 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_YeoZeKtjA

How to Play Civilization V - Beginner's Tutorial Guide (Hour and twenty two minute video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I__9ZlOUG4E

Also do make sure to check out the Workshop for the game, you'll see many wonderful things. My favourite is Metal Gear's Big Boss addition http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=146684345
Also for SEGA fans, a Valkyria Chronicles addition. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=207289667&searchtext=

G-Fex

One Holiday Sale 2013 - Payday 2 background to be given away, just needs to be asked for.

I'm sure it's already been shared with you since I saw them in previous threads, but just in case they haven't or if anyone else is thinking about Civilization V, two wonderful videos to help one out.

How to Play Civilization V - Quick and Dirty Beginner's Tutorial Guide (20 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_YeoZeKtjA

How to Play Civilization V - Beginner's Tutorial Guide (Hour and twenty two minute video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I__9ZlOUG4E

Also do make sure to check out the Workshop for the game, you'll see many wonderful things. My favourite is Metal Gear's Big Boss addition http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=146684345
Also for SEGA fans, a Valkyria Chronicles addition. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=207289667&searchtext=

Thank you so much sir I will watch this to help

Toki767

They have to have a lot of high quality games planned for Humble Indie Bundle 10. I'm guessing Rogue Legacy will be one of them.

sprinkles

I got most of the stuff I wanted, every game I bought in the sale was either 75% off or more, since I have most of the games I want I can't see myself spending that much in the next big sale. Maybe spend £60 if a lot of my games go on sale from my wishlist, but it won't be close to £160 I spent building my Steam library from nothing.
I thought the same, spent around 100€ during my first sale for 40 some games. Now two years later I have 483 games and am still buying..

MRORANGE

I was freaking out for a bit here, I got both Sonic 1 and 2 on GAF giveaways (many thanks), but they were nowhere to be seen in my library, even though the store page for each says I own them. The "play now" button didn't do anything either.

Turns out they both agglutinated in an entry called "SEGA Genesis & Mega Drive Classics", which is a weird emulator thingy. Had no idea they worked this way.

The emulator isn't that great, I detected input delay with controls :/

Sullichin

Is Chivalry: Deadliest Warrior cheaper anywhere else? Even with the discount I think it's more than I paid for the actual game last year. Also, the game crashes as soon as I launch it now :(

So I finally got around to playing that $4 Marlow Briggs that I grabbed off of Amazon.

Wow.. there's enough explosions in the first level to fill 20 other more rational games. There's so many explosions even Michael Bay would go "you know, this might be a touch over the top."

Eusis

You can't accidentally rebuy it as Steam runs a thorough cross-check during checkout to prevent duplicate purchases:

nopeilpr2.jpg

The issue of some items not being flagged as owned is just an innocuous bug.
I recall having a similar issue there with Assassin's Creed II, but I chalk that up to Ubisoft being contrary fuckers and going with all this Uplay shit, or at least going with Uplay shit in the SPECIFIC way they do it (a supplemental service you can log into after starting the game would be OK I think like WB's thing for Batman Origins.)

user237

That's actually convenient if you have a lot of these games. I have 6 already from a Sonic bundle, and I'm glad they aren't spread across my games list.

Coreda

Argh, does anyone have snow globe #10 they'd be willing to trade? I've been trying to for the past two days with no luck and tonight's the last chance.

I have an extra one, as well as a #5 I won't be using if anyone wants it. This link should work to add a trade offer, if it doesn't just link your Steam ID and I'll add you.

Momentary

Banned
They are hyping this HBX thing up. It better bring some hot games with it... Unfortunately I probably already have them because I throw money and KS, Humble Widgets, and Steam all the time.

Curious_George

Neo Member
So I finally picked up Super House of Dead Ninjas before the sales ended today and am I ever glad I did. You move so fast yet you feel in total control of the action. I thought Rogue Legacy was a great recent example of a tight/precise action-platformy game but this game is like completely next level.

Oddly, I feel it kind of compares to another recent sale re-grab of mine, Pac-man Championship DX+. While SHoDN is a different style of game, both have a focus on a combination of tight controls (SHoDN maybe even more so), speed, and a sense of continuous momentum. I've loved DX since I first played it on the PS3, but I get a similar feeling on a good SHoDN run when nothing is slowing you down.

It's a real shame this game lost its community vote, if only for the extra exposure it would have provided (if I hadn't read these forums I probably wouldn't have purchased it either).

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Weird. I went to do a trade with someone for my Holiday Sale 2013 - Payday 2 background and it was all going smoothly until I hit the box to check off that I was ready. Well Steam popped up with an error message, closed the trade window, and sent me back to my inventory.
However now I don't have the background and neither does the person I was attempting to trade with.

Did Steam just eat my holiday cheer?

So I finally picked up Super House of Dead Ninjas before the sales ended today and am I ever glad I did. You move so fast yet you feel in total control of the action. I thought Rogue Legacy was a great recent example of a tight/precise action-platformy game but this game is like completely next level.

Oddly, I feel it kind of compares to another recent sale re-grab of mine, Pac-man Championship DX+. While SHoDN is a different style of game, both have a focus on a combination of tight controls (SHoDN maybe even more so), speed, and a sense of continual momentum. I've loved DX since I first played it on the PS3, but I get a similar feeling when on a good SHoDN run when nothing is slowing you down.

It's a real shame this game lost its community vote, if only for the extra exposure it would have provided (if I hadn't read these forums I wouldn't have purchased it myself either).

Welcome to the club my friend. The tight controls and gameplay is exactly why I love it so much and I feel such a sense of reward when I felt like I had truly mastered how best to play it.

Your comparison to Pac-Man Championship DX+ is quite spot on and I never realised until now the long chain of ghost eating and a long stretch of non stop action and RAAAAAGGGGEEEEEE produced the exact same sense of jubilation in me. Thank you for helping me finally pin down that unknown quality which has helped make it one of my favourite titles.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I recall having a similar issue there with Assassin's Creed II, but I chalk that up to Ubisoft being contrary fuckers and going with all this Uplay shit, or at least going with Uplay shit in the SPECIFIC way they do it (a supplemental service you can log into after starting the game would be OK I think like WB's thing for Batman Origins.)

With some Ubi games it's actually theoretically possible to buy them twice because of the standard and deluxe CD key "DLC" that is packaged with the respective subs, but as long as Steam knows to ignore it when running a check there won't be any trouble and thus far I believe Ubi has been on the ball in that regard. You can purchase multiple editions of Dragon Age for the same reason:

daafterllo19.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's because you are a horse on a window, perhaps.

Humans can do it:

66uWMl2.png

:p

Haha, odd, it wouldn't work for me. I even fired up Chrome to use the "Add to Wishlist" button Enhanced Steam adds to Community hubs but that was ill-fated, too.

Well I just fucked myself over. Can't use the community market right now since I added funds via a Visa gift card and you have to wait 7 days or some such for "security purposes".

I mean I get it I guess, but it completely blows. Guess I just have to sell my last cards instead of buying the ones I need to craft a second level badge.

Edit: Shit, can't even sell my last cards either.

WELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom