• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
first meal of 2014: Mickie D's

Gaf, I am officially a sad human being :(

kafiend

How's Desktop Dungeons?

It's got that "just one more go" quality. I usually like my rogue type games to be about surviving as long as possible with a single character, but this is real bite size chunks of game fun.

It's easy to understand although I expect that once you start getting further and further in a great sense of tactics will be needed.

It has a nice progression system built around establishing a town and going into dungeons for loot which in turn allows you to build/unlock stuff.

I played about an hour so far and loving it, can see it being a real time sink.

Dr Dogg

So started playing Castle of Illusion. Game looks great and the art style has been treated just right with the transfer to 3D. But then I'd tried it in 3D Vision.... It's Glorious!!! Everything pops out the screen without having to alter the convergence at all plus the added depth to the characters and more over the stages really takes this game to another level in regards to aesthetics. Don't think it sold very well though as after just the first 3 stages I'm 8,000d in the world on the leaderboards. Though it seams to have some massive performance issues in 3d (1st boss fight my fps dropped to 45 on a 780!!!) but it's not officially supported.

I'm half tempted to pick up Duck Tails if it pops up again cheapish (though I'd rather a Quackshot port was in the works but beggars can't be choosy).

Caerith

If you ate a McRib, you are forgiven...

180px-Wiki_RLMcrib.png

Doesn't look very appetizing.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
If the Bio Inf Season Pass price is an error it's crazy that it's taking all this time. Great deal.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So started playing Castle of Illusion. Game looks great and the art style has been treated just right with the transfer to 3D. But then I'd tried it in 3D Vision.... It's Glorious!!! Everything pops out the screen without having to alter the convergence at all plus the added depth to the characters and more over the stages really takes this game to another level in regards to aesthetics. Don't think it sold very well though as after just the first 3 stages I'm 8,000d in the world on the leaderboards. Though it seams to have some massive performance issues in 3d (1st boss fight my fps dropped to 45 on a 780!!!) but it's not officially supported.

I'm half tempted to pick up Duck Tails if it pops up again cheapish (though I'd rather a Quackshot port was in the works but beggars can't be choosy).

I need to resume both myself (I am hopeless). I loved Castle of Illusion as a kid so I'll probably start with it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
If you ate a McRib, you are forgiven...

Im not in the US, we have no ribs here o_O

First giveaway of 2014!

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Thief Gold -- MB-61156F2882334C60 - Taken by gimel. 14 entrants total.
Thief II: The Metal Age -- MB-D046F3F9D2E18279 - Taken by bobnowhere. 13 entrants total.
Thief: Deadly Shadows -- MB-9D37BEA654847323 - Taken by Man Puncher. 14 entrants total.

t1388585118z1.png

Ooh, you've put that on my radar now. I love a good 3D game. Just finished Brothers, which looked glorious in 3D. Personally, I use Tri-Def 3D over 3D vision.

Damage so far

Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed Retail $5
Ys The Oath in Felghana $4
PixelJunk Eden $1
Dust: An Elysian Tail $4
Guacamelee! Gold Edition $4
Aliens: Colonial Marines Retail $2
Resident Evil Revelations Retail (WW) $10
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Ultimate Edition $8
Rogue Legacy $5
The Walking Dead $7
The Walking Dead: 400 Days $2
La-Mulana $2
DmC *Shared* $6

brentech

looks like i managed to escape the sale with just 2 purchases.

Prison Architect
Trials Evolution

Kind of proud. Of course, I did purchase a handful of dota items when that sale went live as well...

ICKE

Banned
I'd definitely recommend buying Drakensang : The River of Time from this sale. It's -50% at the moment, around 10 euros or so.

This game is absolutely great, Baldurs Gate esque with a very traditional high fantasy theme, a lot of depth in the character creation and I'm not even using the expert mode.

You should definitely download Ergo's mod before playing the game, because apparently the speed is somewhat sluggish without it and can be frustrating (the mod boosts walk speed 25%). .

Can't believe this has slipped below my radar, it's basically a AAA RPG without any media coverage for some reason.

Dr Dogg

I need to resume both myself (I am hopeless). I loved Castle of Illusion as a kid so I'll probably start with it.

Certainly brings back memories of me and my sister squabbling over the MegaDrive. So AC and retro platformer remakes are the only games you play now ;).

Ooh, you've put that on my radar now. I love a good 3D game. Just finished Brothers, which looked glorious in 3D. Personally, I use Tri-Def 3D over 3D vision.

Well I haven't bothered with 3D Vision in such a long time, it just so happened my 120hz monitor was connected to the box with CoI on so I thought "let's give it a whirl". Might look into Tri-Def as Nvidia have seamed to have very little support for 3D Vision at the mo outside of AAA titles, plus I picked up Brothers during the sale so might be a great baptism.

Edit: Oh and I've just realised that Shadow Play spits out a proper side by side video for 3D, ripe for YouTube 3d uploads. It's downresed at 540x1080 but should work fine. That's my afternoon sorted then.

Rhaknar

Heh, I didn't know that's what the skels were named in the game...

I cry inside for your loss... if you ever travel to the states, you must consume one post-haste. (if it is available)

I went to NY many years ago, I went into a McDonalds and had... a cheeseburger :( Sigh

The_Monk

Hey my good GAFfers, hope you are all having a good day in 2014!

Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army is 75% OFF right now, that's really tempting and cheap. Anyone can give some impressions? I know it's cheap but I need to keep in my budget, most of the people in my friend list didn't put many hours in the game. I'm not sure if it's bad or people just went for the idling to get the cards...!

Dec

I'd definitely recommend buying Drakensang : The River of Time from this sale. It's -50% at the moment, around 10 euros or so.

This game is absolutely great, Baldurs Gate esque with a very traditional high fantasy theme, a lot of depth in the character creation and I'm not even using the expert mode.

You should definitely download Ergo's mod before playing the game, because apparently the speed is somewhat sluggish without it and can be frustrating (the mod boosts walk speed 25%). .

Can't believe this has slipped below my radar, it's basically a AAA RPG without any media coverage for some reason.

It's the sequel to Drakensang: The Dark Eye.

I know this is the Steam thread, but if you really want these games cheap look around at liquidation stores and such. I found a two pack of the first game, River of Time and the DLC for River of Time for $5 all together.

Also on a bit of a sad note, the developer is now dead, and the Drakensang license went to Bigpoint, which they used to make a browser MMO (that is a pretty decent diablo-like) called Drakensang Online.

Edit: This is what I found for $5.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Ah, thanks for reminding me that I need to pick up the expansion.

Certainly brings back memories of me and my sister squabbling over the MegaDrive. So AC and retro platformer remakes are the only games you play now ;).

An AssCreed-themed retro platformer would be heaven. :p

Hey my good GAFfers, hope you are all having a good day in 2014!

Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army is 75% OFF right now, that's really tempting and cheap. Anyone can give some impressions? I know it's cheap but I need to keep in my budget, most of the people in my friend list didn't put many hours in the game. I'm not sure if it's bad or people just went for the idling to get the cards...!

Its good for a coop-game, I guess. I tried to play the first level alone and always did at the end of the first level.

Its not really a deep Game. You run around, shooting Nazi Zombies. But its also not really bad. I guess if you have a coop-partner it can be quite fun.

The_Monk

Its good for a coop-game, I guess. I tried to play the first level alone and always did at the end of the first level.

Its not really a deep Game. You run around, shooting Nazi Zombies. But its also not really bad. I guess if you have a coop-partner it can be quite fun.

Hmm, thanks for answering! Seems like it won't be fun if I just want to play on my own. I even found it strange because JaseC have put around 8 hours in this game, it looked suspicious! :p

Rhaknar

Hmm, thanks for answering! Seems like it won't be fun if I just want to play on my own. I even found it strange because JaseC have put around 8 hours in this game, it looked suspicious! :p

also there is a sequel, so if anyone is playing, they would be playing that probably

I know I've asked before, but could somebody post the Amazon sale list link again, pretty please? I promise I wont ask again!

http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/wiki/stores/amazon/holidaysale

Its not that bad playing alone, but its pretty clear its designed to be a coop-Game. Like I said. I couldnt even finish the first level alone, because some MG-Nazi mowed me down every time.

NotSelf

This is were i spend my new year it was great first time playing Ys wasn't expecting such an old game to be fun really enjoying the art work the music is some times a bit cheesy but starts to grow on you after a while going to be playing some more today.

Happy new year guys:)

F91D852847B61EC54D0758C97CFB798D247B786B

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing is pretty great. The visceral feedback when you defeat a group of monsters with a shower of blood and chunky bits is very satisfying.

Anteater

Interesting, will keep an eye on it, rarely seen anyone talk about this game :eek:

wazoo

The game is great, but the developer is dead to us (free to play stuff now) and the steam version is not patched correctly. still, one great game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom