• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Sounds ok. I might get it. Got a soft spot for janky RPGs.

Of Orcs and Men was really good though, I thought.

I havent played Orcs yet, I just assumed it was janky like the rest :) And BK is only 3 hours long you say? Hmm Ill let u know how long it takes me.

:eek: There are mods for EU? I did some googling on this the other day since I am currently re-playing EU and the internet told me that EU Mods are practically non existent! :/

If you could point me in the right direction to swot up on these I would be most grateful :).

There are mods over at http://xcom.nexusmods.com/ , of course whether or not nexus actually loads for anyone is dependent on how many people are downloading nudie models for skyrim at any given point in time. But they are there.

I did the rollback of EU to the earlier version so I could play the Long War mod again a couple of days ago. Long War gives you bigger squad sizes (up to 8), more classes, bigger alien packs, and retunes the entire strategic layer so that the difficultly curve is inverted (the game is very good at keeping pace with you via alien upgrades, which isn't the case in vanilla EU/EW).

Futureman

Has Rayman Origins always had a Mac verison? I swear I've searched it before and never saw it.

Anyways this will make my first Steam game EVER!

Xanathus

The new CDS that was rolled out back in 2011 introduced long-overdue support for delta patching:

Yeah that's what I'm saying, it's only downloading the delta patch needed to modify the files but it incorrectly shows the total size of the files being modified as the download size.

Dec

I havent played Orcs yet, I just assumed it was janky like the rest :) And BK is only 3 hours long you say? Hmm Ill let u know how long it takes me.

That's what how long to beat says. During the Giantbomb quicklook the developer says they were loading a save half way through the game and it said just under 2 hours.

Orcs definitely is lacking in animations and some characters VO but I thought the story was good, it was pretty in a lot of places, and the combat was fun. Definitely better than I expected, and legitimately a good game I think.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Valve's going to have fun reimbursing 2K for all the copies sold at 75% off. The pass flew up to #2 on the Top Sellers list minutes after the discount went live.

its fine, it was only up there for...7 and half hours :p

drizzle

Axel Hertz
How can they make the Bioshock Infinite Season Pass mistake twice on the same sale?

And this time it went on for a while.

I fear they will eventually re-write the deal applying code and we won't get errors anymore eventually.. :(

Xhorder

Acti dumped the licence. Its financial year began yesterday and last January saw it dump the James Bond licence (a mere three months after 007 Legends hit shelves) as well as the licences associated with Blur.

Edit: Beaten.

Blur? Now that was a great game! Would be awesome if some of the ex-Bizarre guys could pick up the license for a few quid and make Blur 2 exclusive for Steam. :)

Reckoner

Has Rayman Origins always had a Mac verison? I swear I've searched it before and never saw it.

Anyways this will make my first Steam game EVER!

How much are you going to pay for it? I'm looking for a nice deal, but don't want to spend much money since I already bought it for my Vita.

Jawmuncher

When I play Cook Serve Delicious I like to pretend i'm running a club with food.
Since I always have techno playing. Because of this the fun of the game has increased 10x

manhack

How can they make the Bioshock Infinite Season Pass mistake twice on the same sale?

And this time it went on for a while.

I fear they will eventually re-write the deal applying code and we won't get errors anymore eventually.. :(

I guess they are all waking up from the New Years Eve festivities.

They probably made more money on this "error" than they ever did with the season pass up till now though.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
When I play Cook Serve Delicious I like to pretend i'm running a club with food.
Since I always have techno playing. Because of this the fun of the game has increased 10x

They should seriously make this into a DLC for the game.

Backlogger

When I saw the price on Bioshock Infinite Season Pass I assumed it was intentional this time. Lol, someone's going to get fired if they didn't get fired last week

I've been reading on the CAG forums that we might get a Humble Indie Bundle X today. Don't know if it's true or not, but we shouldn't have long to wait before we find out one way or the other.

Zeliard

I have about 180 hours or so in EW. Maybe more. My take on it is this-

- The difficulty is higher for veterans of the game. "Normal" players will not see this but people who play on Impossible will find it harder.
- The new human faction you have to fight just kind of sucks. The missions are easy, you have to do a lot of them (6-8), and their AI is bad. It's tedious and the enemy AI needs fixing on these missions.
- The MEC troopers and gene mods / meld mechanic work out well. Think of MECs as the equivalent of bringing an IFV to a fight (and the existing SHIV is re-purposed wonderfully as a front line scout and tank). The pressure to gather Meld by adopting a more aggressive playstyle on the tactical map is a welcome change.
- The base defense is neat and tense even when you know exactly how it plays out.
- The new maps and changes to existing maps are wonderful.
- Some of the new second wave options are fantastic.

EW doesn't make EU have more emergent moments and certainly doesn't make the game less deterministic, which is what most EU detractors point out as the game's failing vs. 94 UFO (it's not a failing, it's just different IMO). If you loved EU and just want a good excuse to play through it again with all sorts of new stuff, EW is a must-buy.

Nice write-up. And I totally agree about the EXALT. I can see the concept of wanting to give you a sort of mirror enemy to fight as well as a nuisance on the strategy layer, but they tend to be a cakewalk and there's nothing to the mission types. Their dumb AI causes them to consistently use up both moves to dash to the encoder zone and fail to take cover, and they make nonsensical tactical decisions as far as utilizing their different classes. Nice idea on paper, shoddy execution. Fortunately the other additions to the game make up for it.

Backlogger

VVVVVV is a retro styled 2D platformer by Terry Cavanagh, creator of dozens of free games. You play as the fearless leader of a team of dimension exploring scientists who inadvertently crash, and are separated. The game involves exploring the strange world you've found yourself in, and reuniting your friends.

Seems very similar to the Tomb Raider synopsis

Jawmuncher

They should seriously make this into a DLC for the game.

I would definitely be all over a Club DLC addition.
Oddly enough with all the food type games none of them deal with clubs and the like.
The closest that ever came to be was This is Vegas and that shit was cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom