• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Thank you very much for the heads up!!
The other Sam & Max Seasons (Beyond Time & Space = 2, The Devil's Playhouse = 3) are five bucks as well. Great price.

Tehalemi

And with VVVVVV, my involvement in this sale comes to a close. So many collections bought...so much backlog. Feels good man.

Finishing off the sale with 3 Early Access games: Overgrowth (on sale until tomorrow!), Rust, and DayZ.

Question: What does it mean when it says cards expire on the 3rd? Do they get removed from the inventory after that?

Wait is that confirmed on the sales for tomorrow or just a cruel joke?

hohoXD123

Let me tell you all about a game named Damned, which you should all vote for, btw...

header_292x136.jpg

Let me first get this out of the way... It's an early access game, and it shows. Its rough around the edges right now, sometimes the game will crash, occasionally I've experienced people joining a game problems, and a few glitches here and there. The game updates about 2-3 times per month, and in the last three months they've added a lot of fixes, a new monster, and three new stages, with a lot more coming in some New Years updates coming in the near future. Just know the game is bumpy right now, but I also believe its fully worth it, especially at that price.

Damned is a multiplayer horror game where four people play humans, and another player plays a monster. Now, everything I'm about to say is for the current build of the game, as over time new mechanics and things to balance have been introduced, so keep that in mind with this post.

There are five maps and two monsters currently. The five maps take place in a motel, in a restaurant, in an asylum, in a storage facility, and an alternative version of the Motel map (different but similar layout, differences in how you progress through the motel, etc). The two monsters are currently this very fleshy-looking monster, and this ghost monster known as the Phantom. Both bring very different things to the table.

The fleshy-monster was the default monster on the game's release. The monster is invisible at start-up, and can't be seen by players, or see players. The monster has to 'charge' up the ability to manifest into the real world. He can't see the players, but he can hear them, and can try and reveal their location by setting 'traps'. Traps are things that make loud noises, and if they're set-off, you'll know that somebody is or was there. While invisible you also move a lot faster and you can't see doors (so you cant tell which doors they've opened, which they've closed, or if they're being opened). When fully charged and you desire too, you can then manifest into the real world. You move slower, but faster than the players walk (slower than they run), You can only stay out for a limited time, and the longer you stay out the longer it'll take to charge the ability to manifest again. The other monster, the Phantom, is a ghost who is always in the physical world, but is mostly blind. The monster doesn't set traps, as rather random traps around the stage have automatically already been set. And when a trap goes off, or the player makes a loud enough noise close to the Phantom (IE, running, turning flashlight on and off, opening doors quickly), the Phantom can see the player for a limited time. The only other way for the Phantom to see the player is to be on-top of them, basically. The phantom for the players is bit hard to see as its translucent, but you do not want to shine your flashlight on it as it will attract the attention of the monster an make you visible to it for a bit. The closer you are to the phantom when you attract its attention, the longer it'll be able to see you.

As the human, your main goal is to find an escape. Right now that is mainly by finding items, like keys, combination codes, crowbars, etc., to open new areas and find a way out. There's randomized elements to everything (and more randomization coming), and what you can do basically is walk, crouch, run (but you have limited stamina that must recharge), turn your flashlight on and off, and interact with things. You also have a meter that shows how visible you are, and how much noise your making (like a stealth game). You must work with the other players to try and find escape from the facility, either all of you starting in the same room, or in separate parts of the facility you're trapped in. You need to hunt down items, try to avoid traps, and not get killed by the monster. You are defenseless, so running and hiding is your only option. The fleshy-monster will need to go back to charging mode eventually, and the Phantom loses sight of players rather quickly if they get far enough and stop making noise. If another player dies, you'll need to locate their corpse to collect the items they were holding.

I should also mention the humans can use the chat to talk with each other in text, the monsters can't see the chat.

It's been a lot of fun with friends, played with quite a few with various okay-levels of horror (some scream, some laugh when caught, some get angry, etc.) It takes a bit to learn, but both sides are fun. I have a reputation of being a terrible monster to play with as I troll people hard, standing behind them for a while until they turn around and scream so I can kill them instantly, staring at them from behind a mirror and see if they notice, or wait around corners and the like. Humans are fun to try and outwit the monster as well.

I recommend it, and say its what you all should vote for. Playing with you GAF'ers would be fun~

I think I saw a gameplay video for this but forgot the name of it. It looked pretty good, voted.

Finishing off the sale with 3 Early Access games: Overgrowth (on sale until tomorrow!), Rust, and DayZ.

Question: What does it mean when it says cards expire on the 3rd? Do they get removed from the inventory after that?

Speaking of Overgrowth, does one get a Steam key if they have already purchased the game in the past? I'm assuming not, but just curious.

Nevermind, main website has my answer. AWESOME!

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
No problem, I've forgotten I've changed my name and a few times and that only occurred a few weeks ago. Welcome to the group. 70 more and we'll have 6660 members.

Let me tell you all about a game named Damned, which you should all vote for, btw...
~horror snip~

You've convinced me my friend, I voted for it.

By the road, did you see that fans managed to get online play back for Resident Evil Outbreak? Well, the Japanese copy at least, which is fully playable for non-Japanese speakers.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=743698

Still the best co-op survival horror game in my mind. Though I'm sure with some work Damned could be a close second.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm in the weird position of owning Civ V and Gods and Kings, but nothing else, so the Gold Edition is too expensive/pointless for just the DLCs.

The Gold Upgrade is only 5 bucks, so if you want the DLC civs it's actually a pretty good deal

I already own a couple DLC civs somehow (Babylon, Spain and Inca) so I just have to figure out if the map/scenario packs are worth the extra 1.25 over just buying the remaining DLC civs

Valdis is weird with controller, you have to press R2 then left/right on dpad to do magic, then for a dash you have to press down + left/right, Im just checking out the demo really quick.

header_292x136.jpg

Let me first get this out of the way... It's an early access game, and it shows. Its rough around the edges right now, sometimes the game will crash, occasionally I've experienced people joining a game problems, and a few glitches here and there. The game updates about 2-3 times per month, and in the last three months they've added a lot of fixes, a new monster, and three new stages, with a lot more coming in some New Years updates coming in the near future. Just know the game is bumpy right now, but I also believe its fully worth it, especially at that price.

Damned is a multiplayer horror game where four people play humans, and another player plays a monster. Now, everything I'm about to say is for the current build of the game, as over time new mechanics and things to balance have been introduced, so keep that in mind with this post.

There are five maps and two monsters currently. The five maps take place in a motel, in a restaurant, in an asylum, in a storage facility, and an alternative version of the Motel map (different but similar layout, differences in how you progress through the motel, etc). The two monsters are currently this very fleshy-looking monster, and this ghost monster known as the Phantom. Both bring very different things to the table.

The fleshy-monster was the default monster on the game's release. The monster is invisible at start-up, and can't be seen by players, or see players. The monster has to 'charge' up the ability to manifest into the real world. He can't see the players, but he can hear them, and can try and reveal their location by setting 'traps'. Traps are things that make loud noises, and if they're set-off, you'll know that somebody is or was there. While invisible you also move a lot faster and you can't see doors (so you cant tell which doors they've opened, which they've closed, or if they're being opened). When fully charged and you desire too, you can then manifest into the real world. You move slower, but faster than the players walk (slower than they run), You can only stay out for a limited time, and the longer you stay out the longer it'll take to charge the ability to manifest again. The other monster, the Phantom, is a ghost who is always in the physical world, but is mostly blind. The monster doesn't set traps, as rather random traps around the stage have automatically already been set. And when a trap goes off, or the player makes a loud enough noise close to the Phantom (IE, running, turning flashlight on and off, opening doors quickly), the Phantom can see the player for a limited time. The only other way for the Phantom to see the player is to be on-top of them, basically. The phantom for the players is bit hard to see as its translucent, but you do not want to shine your flashlight on it as it will attract the attention of the monster an make you visible to it for a bit. The closer you are to the phantom when you attract its attention, the longer it'll be able to see you.

As the human, your main goal is to find an escape. Right now that is mainly by finding items, like keys, combination codes, crowbars, etc., to open new areas and find a way out. There's randomized elements to everything (and more randomization coming), and what you can do basically is walk, crouch, run (but you have limited stamina that must recharge), turn your flashlight on and off, and interact with things. You also have a meter that shows how visible you are, and how much noise your making (like a stealth game). You must work with the other players to try and find escape from the facility, either all of you starting in the same room, or in separate parts of the facility you're trapped in. You need to hunt down items, try to avoid traps, and not get killed by the monster. You are defenseless, so running and hiding is your only option. The fleshy-monster will need to go back to charging mode eventually, and the Phantom loses sight of players rather quickly if they get far enough and stop making noise. If another player dies, you'll need to locate their corpse to collect the items they were holding.

I should also mention the humans can use the chat to talk with each other in text, the monsters can't see the chat.

It's been a lot of fun with friends, played with quite a few with various okay-levels of horror (some scream, some laugh when caught, some get angry, etc.) It takes a bit to learn, but both sides are fun. I have a reputation of being a terrible monster to play with as I troll people hard, standing behind them for a while until they turn around and scream so I can kill them instantly, staring at them from behind a mirror and see if they notice, or wait around corners and the like. Humans are fun to try and outwit the monster as well.

I recommend it, and say its what you all should vote for. Playing with you GAF'ers would be fun~

You sold me on the game. Thanks.

I was kind of interested in Valdis just from all the superliminal messaging about it here, but I'm kind of turned off because it seems like magic is a big part of the combat. I just don't like using magic in games. :<

Yeah they won't be sticking around in our inventory like they did during the Summer Sale.
Weird. I kinda like having a set of the cards from summer. Guess I better get my shit sold or crafted then!

Speaking of Overgrowth, does one get a Steam key if they have already purchased the game in the past? I'm assuming not, but just curious.

Nevermind, main website has my answer. AWESOME!
Yep! I've been following the game for a while, and remember them saying for a long time that when it got onto Steam, everyone who'd pre-ordered it would get a Steam key.

ChaoticEko

Neo Member

header_292x136.jpg

I voted for it, thanks for the insight.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
No problem, I've forgotten I've changed my name and a few times and that only occurred a few weeks ago. Welcome to the group. 70 more and we'll have 6660 members.

You've convinced me my friend, I voted for it.

By the road, did you see that fans managed to get online play back for Resident Evil Outbreak? Well, the Japanese copy at least, which is fully playable for non-Japanese speakers.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=743698

Still the best co-op survival horror game in my mind. Though I'm sure with some work Damned could be a close second.

NO, I MISSED THIS. HOT DAMN, EXCITED. I still have copies of Outbreak 1 & 2... Grr,r SO EXCITED TO GET BACK HOME NOW. GRRR...

StAidan

Nice to see Hammerwatch on a daily. It's an awesome game, I played through it twice (only a tiny bit of multiplayer though) on my Christmas break.

Also, I went ahead and bit on Pac-Man since it never got below 33%. I think I'm gonna give one of them away in a little while to share the love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom