• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Kl, the anniversary edition is there for about £6 right now, may pick that up then.

Do note that if you get the DayZ mod, you want to get DayZ commander so it's easier for you to join servers. And servers may be dead/dying with Standalone out, but for $5-10 it's a good test to see if you want to do Standalone for $20 more.

As far as Arma itself: Janky as the mod/standalone of DayZ and IIRC it has issues beyond two cores since it wasn't built for Quad-core at the time, but it should run okay for you and for $2-5 it's alright enough.

(I need to go through the singleplayer someday...)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Slender: The Arrival impressions from phone:

Slender: The Arrival is my favorite Slender-related game. It's not very long, about 2-3 hours to beat the first time, but there is some good replaybility and some very cool secrets, including a very well hidden level (which is the scariest part of the game, holy shit). The game is created by the two people who made Slender who he is today, the guy who made the original Slender: Eight Pages, and with a story by Marble Hornets, the people who made the Marble Hornets Slender series of videos.

The game is actually a fair bit cinematic, not in the sense of how taking control or forced set-pieces or anything, but on how presentation, pacing, and progression are handled. You start out in day read making your way to the house of a close friend, but something is amiss...

The stages are actually quite varied. There is a stage that is just like the classic Slender grab pages style, but different stages hold different goals, threats, and legitimate feel quite a bit different. They have a remade version of the original Slender Eight Pages stage away from the story as well, if interested in that. I don't want to say too much for spoilers, but Slender: Eight Pages does not scare me, Arrival scares me several times. There's good randomization element as well, and difficulties and the like to keep things interesting.

If you don't mind its short length and the sort of cinematic flair it has, Slender is different than other titles in a sort of more coherent experience and budget to allow a more thorough adventure that still manages to be rather ambiguous.

Charcoal

70% discount on an Early Access title?

Those are fire sale, "last ditch effort because we're not getting any money from this game anymore" levels of discount. And the game is not even released yet?

How long until it shows up on IndieGameStand for a dollar or something? I mean, the current price is not much more than that, but I just feel weird about it.
I forget the name of the game, but I know it was talked about here during the sale. It was an indie game that had a 90% discount or something outrageous like that.

A developer was quoted on twitter saying that in the 8 hours it was on sale, it made more than its entire lifetime income.

My story is probably a little off, so please if anyone can add some insight, please do. So just because an early access game is on sale, that doesn't mean it's dying financially.

Meier

Hi guys, I hear that I may be able to activate my Brazilian FM key if I use a VPN or something now. I'd still rather sell it to another person though as I don't have a VPN nor know how to use one really.. if anyone is interested, I will sell my key for $25 OBO.

Coppanuva

I forget the name of the game, but I know it was talked about here during the sale. It was an indie game that had a 90% discount or something outrageous like that.

A developer was quoted on twitter saying that in the 8 hours it was on sale, it made more than its entire lifetime income.

My story is probably a little off, so please if anyone can add some insight, please do. So just because an early access game is on sale, that doesn't mean it's dying financially.

PixelJunk Eden devs I believe. Though that wasn't an early access game, which is arguably a different story. I think the Early Access part is understandable on a case by case basis. Some games from it are heavily multiplayer centric, if they need to lower the price temporarily to get a good playerbase again and spread word, go for it.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

pixeljunk eden

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Pixeljunk isn't early access though. That was a port of a PS3/PSN title from five years back to now. They made money on that on consoles.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The bad part is that I'm partially interested in Delver: I dig the "minecraft" aesthetic, for the lack of a better term, I like roguelikes in general and I'm interested in dungeon crawling...

I just feel weird.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Hi guys, I hear that I may be able to activate my Brazilian FM key if I use a VPN or something now. I'd still rather sell it to another person though as I don't have a VPN nor know how to use one really.. if anyone is interested, I will sell my key for $25 OBO.

If you can't negotiate a deal, JaseC can probably help you out with navigating the VPN waters.

Meier

If you can't negotiate a deal, JaseC can probably help you out with navigating the VPN waters.

Hehe, I actually sent him a note about it since Cornballer initially linked me to a post of his about some changes to the registry for FM on Steam DB. It's kind of scary to me though so I'd rather not use it if I can..

AHA-Lambda

Do note that if you get the DayZ mod, you want to get DayZ commander so it's easier for you to join servers. And servers may be dead/dying with Standalone out, but for $5-10 it's a good test to see if you want to do Standalone for $20 more.

As far as Arma itself: Janky as the mod/standalone of DayZ and IIRC it has issues beyond two cores since it wasn't built for Quad-core at the time, but it should run okay for you and for $2-5 it's alright enough.

(I need to go through the singleplayer someday...)

Thanks, just got it, lets see how this goes then.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Okay, so some people might not want to know (Similar to Enhanced Steam's total spent feature) but this is coming soon:

lMBH7g9.png

also

IXBJ7mF.png

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Is Slender actually good/scary? Most of the time when the reviews claim the game is legitimately scary it isn't.
Scares are subjective, and I don't think this whole game is scary, but it definitely has it's moments. There were a few moments I didn't want to continue, or screamed unintentionally on one or two occasions. This said, I think the scariest part of the game is a hidden level I don't want to spoil, but it's very original and well done and was legitimately very scary to me. The hidden level is hidden somewhere in the first level, all I'll say.

Ptaaty

Valdis Story...wow this game is awesome, especially for $3.75!

This is an metroidvania with major RPG elements, amazing music. Again GAF was right, this is a must buy if you enjoy the genre.

Not sure why there isn't many reviews yet, but I would hazard this will be an 85+ metascore when its said and done.

Jedi2016

I was worried about Typing of the Dead popping up again, but now it's half-off on Amazon, Steam key. That was Steam's daily price, if I recall.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is that the cost of all the cards in the set or just the ones you don't have?

The cost of buying the cards you don't already have, at current market prices.

Grief.exe

Cool review of Valdis I found on Steam

Valdis Story: Abyssal City is one of the best games i've played so far, i've been so hooked on to it that i have yet to become bored of doing the game over and over, it feels like each playthrough is a challenge and the hardest difficulty which is unlocked after your first playthrough really puts your skills to the test.

The storyline is quite a fun turn of events as neither hell or heaven is the good guy here!
You start off on a ship with your crew then some giant monster comes and crashes your ship and you all sink and end up in Abyssal City which is deep under the sea, it turns out that you have been caught up in the middle of a war between angels and demons and your only way out is to battle your way through hordes of angels and demons as you search for your missing crew!

Currently there are 2 playable characters out of 4 which will be available in an upcoming patch. The 2 currently available characters have very different playstyles, one of them is a monk which starts by using only fists while the other starts with a sword, both have their strengths and weaknesses which makes it really fun to play through the game a second time.
I started out playing the swords man in the hardest difficulty and finished the game and it was quite rewarding as i had to put some effort in to it, later i decided i was going to try out the monk and oh my did i get a surprise, it was like playing a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAME! i died a couple of times to bosses here and there which i had considered mastered, but because of the different playstyle and spells it really shook me up and made me have another blast through the game!

The game also features a leveling system and a talent tree system which is pretty rare for a sidescroller, it brings out allot of possibilities while leveling on what path you wish to take and what stats you require for your skill tree... Want to be a MONK MAGE?! no problem... Want to be a barehanded swordsman!? again no problem... the game is very well built to give you the different options of choosing what ever path suites you best!

The item system in the game is very pleasing, it's not to complex and not to simple, you will grind enemies along your travels and they will drop a variation of items for you, later in the game you will be able to use the items obtained to upgrade your weapons or armor as you see fit or even expand your mana or health pool.
This really brought out the good old RPG feeling in me and made me want to try to obtain all the items in the game in my first playthrough, i then realised that there are some items in the game that are only obtainable from chests and you will have to think wisely before you upgrade your weapons or armors as you may not be able to upgrade any other weapon or armor in your current playthrough!

While gliding through the game you will fight vicious bosses that will show you no mercy at all, you will struggle and enjoy the sensation of progressing them til you finally deliver the final blow! you will be required to try out various combinations of armors or spells in order to find out what the best possible way to kill the bosses are.
Every boss in the game has some sort of weakness and it's yours to figure out!

The game it self is well designed, the story is great, has beautiful graphics which are all hand drawn as well as amazing music that really puts you in the zone when fighting bosses or while you are exploring the world of Valdis Story!

Pros:

- Playable multiple times
- Very fun combat system
- Challenging boss fights
- Multiple characters to choose from
- Great leveling system with a unique leveling tree
- Difficulties made to please the average player to hardcore player
- Upgrading system

Cons:

- Map can be frustrating for beginners who have not played the game yet
- You will become hooked to the game and not want to leave your computer!

My Ratings:

Graphics: 94/100
Combat System: 91/100
Storyline: 89:100
Music: 95/100

Overall: 92/100

I highly recommend this game to everyone and if you have any questions, feel free to hit me up on twitch.tv/icyd3mon even if im not streaming, i'm usually in the chat channel!

Exr

Has Rouge Legacy been on sale for cheaper earlier this sale? Would it be smarter to wait till tomorrow or should I bite the bullet? It's already half off, don't know if it's been on sale previously...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom