• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
So, I tested out Dark Souls for a bit today. Thanks for all the advice, Nabs and others.

So, do I always change graphics settings from DSFix.ini and never change them in-game? I'll need to familiarise myself with some of these settings.

pretty sure there's not much in the way of settings in-game so i'd say yeah. never turn antialiasing on from inside the game, at least

Deitus

Picked this up in the winter sale and i can see how it could grab you in.

How did you find the controls, the jump mechanic take a bit of getting used to, you just have to be a little more thoughtful than some other games.

Jumping definitely takes some getting used to. In a lot of ways it's like classic (i.e. NES) Castlevania in that you need to plan out the jump in advance, including accounting for the possibility you will be attacked mid-jump, because in most cases you have no ability to adjust direction mid-air. It's a bit annoying at first, but when you get used to it, it's just part of the game.

It's definitely something that will put a lot of people off though. I know that the jumping mechanics in Castlevania on the NES were a big factor in my not getting into the series back then. But for this game it just clicked... eventually.

Asgaro

Biggest I could find
fff3vyfy.png

Fucking LOL.

I thought this was just a meme. Not an actual phrase in a game.

Uraizen

Banned
No lurkers seems a bit hypocritical since I lurk, buuuut... my raffle, my rules! Hopefully humblebundle doesn't screw up like they did with Shantae.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Uraizen, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Reaper Tale of a Pale Swordsman -- MB-91011D44F232C2D8 - Taken by bobnowhere. 8 entrants total.
Super Comboman: Don't Mash Edition -- MB-AC26383D422D13B6 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 1 entrants total.
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition -- MB-E82DB2B350E62D01 - Taken by GaussTek. 15 entrants total.
Fist of Jesus -- MB-BFBA0AA307366756 - Taken by Baschta. 8 entrants total.
Double Dragon: Neon -- MB-6C99506C85DED8DD - Taken by NightmareTrigger. 26 entrants total.
FIST OF AWESOME -- MB-52D105AAE7EFF2B5 - Taken by AsylumX. 1 entrants total.

t1421637571z1.png

MUnited83

For you.
pretty sure there's not much in the way of settings in-game so i'd say yeah. never turn antialiasing on from inside the game, at least

The antialiasing in-game option in the game is amazing. In the prison part everything was alright. As soon as I get to Firelink Shrine suddenly everything is blurred to hell and back.

I played a bit of Dreadout the day before yesterday.

And while the Evil Within in comparison looks good, Dreadout kinda nails the Ps2 Survival Horror atmosphere games like Silent Hill, Fatal Frame or Siren offered. It looks a bit bad, but I really liked from what I played so far.
Evil Within on the other hand feels off...
I was expecting some modern Survival Horror game, but it feels more like an Actiongame to me.

Articalys

Well, I'm glad that the free weekend gave me the chance to play through Saints Row IV, since after clearing the main story I don't really feel like I want to keep playing it anymore anyway. Definitely below SR3 in most categories for me.

No lurkers seems a bit hypocritical since I lurk, buuuut... my raffle, my rules! Hopefully humblebundle doesn't screw up like they did with Shantae.

The only one of those I'm interested in is Guacamelee, but I have the Gold Edition and haven't touched it yet, feels wrong to try to win this one, even if it's a better/definitive edition, so going to pass.

zkylon

zkylewd
The antialiasing in-game option in the game is amazing. In the prison part everything was alright. As soon as I get to Firelink Shrine suddenly everything is blurred to hell and back.

no i mean that actually if you do turn antialiasing on with durantefix on then the game suddenly becomes el shaddai

Thank you, that's the first thing I did!
yea, fiddle around with the options in the .ini, at least turn light ao on since the performance hit isn't too bad and it actually looks pretty good.

Well, I'm glad that the free weekend gave me the chance to play through Saints Row IV, since after clearing the main story I don't really feel like I want to keep playing it anymore anyway. Definitely below SR3 in most categories for me.
yeah i think the powers were nice but there wasn't anything interesting to use the powers on. no big fat monster enemies or robots or whatever, and the game's still pretty clunky and doesn't have too great of shooting controls

and the humor for me was a pretty big miss in that it was too outrageous to actually feel like comedy anymore, it was just mostly weird. the open scene is awesome tho, i love that they call the white house "the white crib"

i wanted that kind of humor out of being the president, not aliens

tho now that i remember they actually did a bit of background stories on some of the characters that was actually kind of neat

saints row is now kind of backed into a corner. there's not much more crazy than this without completely alienating everybody and i can't imagine most people agreeing with me that the more grounded game of sr3 was more humorous

Idk what is it about work but Im never in the mood to play games when I get home after it, no matter how much I like the game. >.>
it happens to me a lot

sometimes you gotta force yourself to play something, and eventually you get hooked and just naturally keep playing

it's usually that way for me with almost everything

i'm way too lazy for this life

xezuru

Anyone have knowledge on Shadowrun Dragonfalls OST? I felt like alot of the tracks were amongst typical scifiish deus ex area with a few exceptions but specifically anyone know the song in I believe the
Eiger mission overworld
? I think that was the one, was a bit more "urban".

Edit: Think I found the track, it was just a surprising change of tone
Alpha Mike Foxtrot
Looking through, I think I missed a bit more exceptions that were pretty good as well.

saints row is now kind of backed into a corner. there's not much more crazy than this without completely alienating everybody and i can't imagine most people agreeing with me that the more grounded game of sr3 was more humorous

From their perspective, they really had nothing to lose, or perhaps they felt they were already backed into a corner. THQ was going under and they weren't even sure they were going to exist anymore. So they went over the top and loaded it with callbacks as a swansong. Given that none of the major publishers picked it up, they were justified in their worry. Who would have guessed they'd be picked up by Deep Silver?

Does that mean they'll have to do something crazier for Saints Row 5? Not necessarily. Maybe because of the events of SRIV they end up losing everything and having to start again in the past? Or heck, make a game about a new gang that eventually has to take down the Saints. They can find a way...you know, assuming we even get another Saints Row game.

zkylon

zkylewd
From their perspective, they really had nothing to lose, or perhaps they felt they were already backed into a corner. THQ was going under and they weren't even sure they were going to exist anymore. So they went over the top and loaded it with callbacks as a swansong. Given that none of the major publishers picked it up, they were justified in their worry. Who would have guessed they'd be picked up by Deep Silver?

Does that mean they'll have to do something crazier for Saints Row 5? Not necessarily. Maybe because of the events of SRIV they end up losing everything and having to start again in the past? Or heck, make a game about a new gang that eventually has to take down the Saints. They can find a way...you know, assuming we even get another Saints Row game.
oh yeah, tbh i don't think it too much of a bad idea to go all balls out crazy, even tho i'm not too pleased with the final result.

i just don't think they can easily say ok now go back to fighting over gang turf since saints row now kind of doesn't really mean anything lol

at least not without it being disappointing for a part of their audience

Lomax

I'd really like to see them do something completely new. Keep the zaniness and general play style but either do a new IP with it - "the next game from the makers of Saints Row!" or do a complete reboot/alternate world. Saints Row: New Orleans or something like that. I just want something new from the team. There's really nowhere else to go with Saints Row V short of making it pure scifi and while that could be fun, it just seems forced. People aren't that attached to the related cast, and SRIV resolved all of that as well as it could have. If they feel like they need the name there's still plenty of directions they could go with it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well, they're remaking Higurashi for Steam, so they might remake Umineko if that does well.
Well Alchemist still owns the VA work so it'd be absent until a fan-patch arrives (MangaGamer's DRM and stuff are easily thrown off.)
and that will apply to Higurashi as well.

Both Umineko and Umineko Chiru have the PS3 artwork/voice patches available.

I actually helped with the full on port version that was cut down after EP1. If the guy doing the hacking ever wants to start it back up again I'll help since I have the proper equipment to make it go more smoothly now.

Started playing Alien: Isolation and first I had to move from KB+M to mouse because of the insane mouse smoothing and then I had to quit because I started feeling nauseous. I googled if anyone felt the same and turns out I missed the FOV-slider in the video menu, it was defaulted to 47. 47!! What the christ, I understand that they are going for feel of claustrophobia but that's just asking for trouble.

emot-barf.gif

That combined with the crazy default control scheme, it was a pretty ruff start. I'll try again tomorrow.
That FOV value is vertical FOV.
Code:
Tables (V = vertical, H = horizontal, D = diagonal)

Rounded values only. I also went to the trouble of determining diagonals.

16:9 monitors (eg. 1920x1080, 1366x768, 2650x1440):

40 V =  66 H =  73 D
 47 V =  75 H =  83 D
 52 V =  82 H =  90 D
 59 V =  90 H =  98 D
 73 V = 106 H = 113 D

16:10 monitors (eg. 1680x1050, 1920x1200):

40 V =  60 H =  69 D
 51 V =  75 H =  84 D
 56 V =  81 H =  90 D
 64 V =  90 H =  99 D
 73 V = 100 H = 109 D

hohoXD123

JaseC wasn't lying: Kentucky Route Zero truly is amazing.

I dunno, I didn't get the game, I just wasn't sure what it was meant to be. A fantasy game where anything goes and you're just meant to go with the flow? A mystery game grounded in reality with explanations for the stranger elements? I'll probably need to replay it.

it happens to me a lot

sometimes you gotta force yourself to play something, and eventually you get hooked and just naturally keep playing

it's usually that way for me with almost everything

i'm way too lazy for this life

Like I'm trying to play dead rising 3 but I just can't. Its not a bad game or anything, i think its alright, I just don't want to play it though, neither do I want to try out some of the other weapon classes in the MH4 demo for the 3ds, AND im not even in the mood for smash bros and those who chat with me KNOW how much I love to smash. Work just kills the vibe for the whole damn day. >_>

Turfster

F.3.A.R kept... getting... worse.
What the hell? How could nobody during the creation of this thing say "okay guys, we're doing it wrong, let's rethink this."
Also, they should have gagged whoever said "No, we need more of these asshole bullet sponge enemy spawner fucks, more!"
Anyway, finished it I guess... Now I never have to go back to it.

I've come to the conclusion I don't really like Torchlight II anymore. I played some Diablo III this weekend and loved it so I decided to boot up TLII and it's just not as fun of a game, the combat just doesn't have that great feeling that D3 has, it just feels like a clunky game, and it's hard as hell solo, I've been getting my ass handed to me left and right. I gave it a fair shake (13 hours between launch and now lol) but it's not fun enough to continue playing. One more game off my backlog I guess.

I've come to the conclusion I don't really like Torchlight II anymore. I played some Diablo III this weekend and loved it so I decided to boot up TLII and it's just not as fun of a game, the combat just doesn't have that great feeling that D3 has, it just feels like a clunky game, and it's hard as hell solo, I've been getting my ass handed to me left and right. I gave it a fair shake (13 hours between launch and now lol) but it's not fun enough to continue playing. One more game off my backlog I guess.

I played the original torchlight and i didn't like it much, Diablo 3 on the ps4 however is really dope, especially with friends. I got the second torchlight but still haven't really played it. I'll get to it... Eventually. But I doubt Ill like it much, but hey, I only spent $5. If I can even get 1 hour of enjoyment from it the purchase is justified. :D

should i download the evolve beta now?? when will the beta end?

I installed it and realized i wasn't gonna play, besides the game comes out next month, I'd rather not play it that way next month it feels more fresh

Teeth

I played the original torchlight and i didn't like it much, Diablo 3 on the ps4 however is really dope, especially with friends. I got the second torchlight but still haven't really played it. I'll get to it... Eventually. But I doubt Ill like it much, but hey, I only spent $5. If I can ever get 1 hour of enjoyment from it the purchase is justified. :D

Torchlight 2 is such a massively better game than T1, it's night and day. Better art, better variety, better skills, skill variety, build diversity, gear art and gear structure, more pets, more interesting characters.

I thought T1 was totally meh, but I really enjoyed T2.

Torchlight 2 is such a massively better game than T1, it's night and day. Better art, better variety, better skills, skill variety, build diversity, gear art and gear structure, more pets, more interesting characters.

I thought T1 was totally meh, but I really enjoyed T2.

well thats reassuring. :)

I personally enjoyed Diablo 3 for two or three playthroughs and didn't care enough for Torchlight 2 to finish it.

A friend bought me Fight The Dragon but I've been waiting for some more of its constant updates. I also wanted to play Path of Exile once Act 4 finally comes out.

Teeth

I've been wanting to play Diablo 3 for a while now, but Blizzard almost never puts their games on sale (well, a Steam style sale). I just have too many great games to play on my backlog to think about spending $30 on a game.

That's like 10 great games worth!

Teeth

what the fuck is the point of lighting a bonfire if you still need to rest at it to save your progress?

Fuck.

goddamn Blighttown

Did they change that in DS2? I know in DS2, you can light a bonfire but not rest at it and you'll respawn at the bonfire at death, but because you didn't rest, the enemies won't respawn if you just light it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom