• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

Goddamn, Australia...

It's amazing Jase managed to grow up to be a sane person.

tumblr_mjd04ibdur1r2s8gs7a.gif

_hekk05

Banned
2015 is absolutely shaping up to be a great year for my wallet. There is absolutely nothing I want immediately until Summer Sale.

PS4 is gonna have a bunch of exclusives I wanna get, gonna buy the atelier arland remakes on vita, double dip on neptunia on steam and vita, buy and complete all the disgaeas on vita...

I'm looking at 400 easy without discounts, and those are confirmed purchases.

At least my internship pays me

zkylon

zkylewd
Since I was born today, it's only fair I shower you guys in crap:
happy bday!

I got heavily into Dark Souls again the last days.

Finished Sen's Fortress & Anor Londo in two days.
I think it's because I am now fairly leveled up with heavy gear, capable magic and destructive weapons but the game becomes more and more a joy to play :)

Yesterday I finished Ornstein & Smough. Wow. What a thrill. What a rush. What an excitement after finally achieving victory at the 4. try.
Thanks to a summoned player and cannon-fodder Solaire.

What a brilliant punctuation to the beauty the Anor Londo was. And the instant gratification when entering the princess' room. Serene background tunes, heartwarming colors and the beauty that is Gwynevere :O

I overdid it though - as usual - and thus dreamt of fighting silver knights -_-'
Why no nice dreams with Gwynevere?

queelan > gwynevere

Knurek

Valkyria Chronicles is 50% off for some reason
http://store.steampowered.com/app/294860/

BUY BUY BUY

Such an over-rated game. Neither myself nor my friends enjoyed it.

You hear all these people talking about what a great Strategy RPG it is, but its audience is geared to one group: anime fanatics.

It's one of the shallowest RPGs you can ask for. On the story side, you have zero interaction, just watching stilted anime slides that drag on forever. On the mechanic side, advancement is as vague as possible. Instead of advancing soldiers, you just advance soldier types, and instead of picking how you advance them, you just move them along a linear progression path.

It's also one of the shallowest Strategy games. The enemy AI is pathetic, and will frequently waste time bouncing units back and forth in the fog of war rather than take another shot with a unit that's clearly in LOS. Enemies are clearly running under a very simplistic script that can easily be abused.

Worse is the nature of the port itself. We're talking Dark Souls bad, but without the fan patch to fix it. 70% of your time in-game will be spent meandering through menus, yet you can't even use the fucking mouse. I remember it takes almost a dozen key presses just to save the game, and that's you need to remember to do because the game doesn't auto-save between chapters. Have a game crash (which will happen) and you could lose hours of progression.

It's just a mess, and I'd only recommend it for people desperate to consume some B-tier anime story in a D-tier game.

Absolutely disgusting.

Backlogger

Steam keys for Pahelika: Secret Legends are now available for the buyers of Groupees Build a Greenlight Bundle 13 at the 'My purchases' page.
https://groupees.com/purchases

Steam keys for ClusterPuck 99 are now available for the buyers of Groupees Build a Greenlight Bundle 8 at the 'My purchases' page.
https://groupees.com/purchases

While I didn't buy either of these bundles, your post prompted me to check my Greenlit games spreadsheet I haven't checked in a while and I was able to redeem 4-5 games. Thanks for the unintentional reminder!

zkylon

zkylewd
Absolutely disgusting.

i agree with the gameplay being shallow, but it's a srpg, all srpgs are pretty shallow

the story is great tho, if you don't like anime don't buy anime games. it's not a negative thing that an anime game has an anime story

that's just dumbo-talk

Grim Fandango still not up at Nuveem?

Kinda excited about Fahrenheit, the highest highs were really good but goddamn does it take a nose dive around the middle section.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
header.jpg

+Nice visuals
+Good OST
+Addictive Combat
+Character Color options

-No Online
-No Resolution Options

Think of it like Scott Pilgrim Vs The World game but way better.

zkylon

zkylewd
To be fair to that review, the anime nature of the game completely turned me off playing it.

if you don't like a game for being anime that's fine (your loss) but saying the game's story is bad because it's anime isn't serious criticism

Grim Fandango still not up at Nuveem?

Kinda excited about Fahrenheit, the highest highs were really good but goddamn does it take a nose dive around the middle section.

is david cage the m night shyamalan of videogames?

Did you just call FFTactics, Disgaea, Advance Wars, etc... shallow!?
actually, imma backtrack on that, you're right

i just woke up :>

Knurek

i agree with the gameplay being shallow, but it's a srpg, all srpgs are pretty shallow

the story is great tho, if you don't like anime don't buy anime games. it's not a negative thing that an anime game has an anime story

that's just dumbo-talk

There's more:

Just looked it up.

F-S-S-Space-Space-Space-S-S-S-Space

10 keys to get into the menu, save, and get out.

This is part of what I'm talking about. I'm not going to surprise anyone in the world by pointing out that anime fans are some of the most painful people to debate with, as 99% of their rebuttals to any criticism will be a circle jerk of one-sentence categorical rebuttals or, as in this case, outright bullshittry.

My review is my own. I expect this thread to be filled with hundreds of posts of praise, nearly all of them by people with anime avatars, but my purpose is to warn those that aren't desperately on the hunt for B-tier anime in a D-tier game - avoid this game.

Vuze

Oh nice, my snail-pace connection certainly appreciates the small downloadsize for Dying Light! Game looks like fun. I like Dead Island, love Mirror's Edge.

No way I will have FC4's story done until it hits though, the game is crashing all over the place just like on release. Cuff me up before I ever buy an Ubisoft PC game again based on pre-release performance reports.

that's just dumbo-talk

There's a difference between straightforward gameplay and mechanical shallowness. While the gameplay is apparently straightforward (kill x, avoid y), most of VC's depth comes from having a keen understanding of your squad's composition, taking advantage of their class/personal traits, and making full use of orders to maximize the potential of a unit's actions. Using proper tactics, the player can turn a unit that would die abruptly from enemy fire into a one-man army capable of holding off an entire enemy force's attacks, or turn a pea-shooter into a tank-destroying superweapon; VC is a game where proper strategy allows a single unit to take out the majority of an enemy force.. in one or two turns.

Sure, VC isn't perfect, but for a game over half a decade old it stand up rather well, even now.

And anyone that doesn't like VC's art has no heart themselves. Monsters.

Man I'm glad I didn't make that thread now.
What a mess
No1.gif

Parsnip

Moving is very tiresome.
Also it seems I'm going to be without internet for a few days, damn it. How will I survive.

Also with the recent Saint Row 4 super ultimate console edition, it got me thinking about Saints 2 and how I would totally buy it again if they remastered it for PC. The official mod tools for Saints 3/4 are also coming along it seems. I hope that when the tools are done they are comprehensive enough so that someone can make a total conversion of Saints 3 into Saints 2.

:p

zkylon

zkylewd
That poster's particularly brazen and rude, I'm sort of surprised he's even still going. Almost everything I've seen of TekGryphon has been antagonistic and toxic.
i don't go into dota thread to say it's shit (tho i don't think it's shit in the first place, even tho it has shit for skins :>), if you're saying so in the ot of a game you're just fishing for attention i guess

There's more:

what's dumb is that a lot of these are valid complaints. no mouse support is a real issue with the game (otherwise i'd say the port is pretty much flawless), and the enemy ai being weak or whatever is also true.

but the only thing these "reviews" are trying to do is antagonize so really no point in them existing since all they do is cause harm to ppl

There's a difference between straightforward gameplay and mechanical shallowness. While the gameplay is apparently straightforward (kill x, avoid y), most of VC's depth comes from having a keen understanding of your squad's composition, taking advantage of their class/personal traits, and making full use of orders to maximize the potential of a unit's actions. Using proper tactics, the player can turn a unit that would die abruptly from enemy fire into a one-man army capable of holding off an entire enemy force's attacks, or turn a pea-shooter into a tank-destroying superweapon; VC is a game where proper strategy allows a single unit to take out the majority of an enemy force.. in one or two turns.

Sure, VC isn't perfect, but for a game over half a decade old it stand up rather well, even now.

And anyone that doesn't like VC's art has no heart themselves. Monsters.
hey, no need to convince me, i loved the game and it was like 3rd on my goty list thingie or something.

maybe in higher difficulties the game was challenging enough to demand some better knowledge of the game's mechanics, but in my own experience i was pretty successful doing fairly standard things like just using scouts and killing tanks by multiturn'ing a single lancer and other dumb things like that

not saying there isn't room for more, but at least the game didn't require me to display and higher skill than that. i tried some fancy things, but generally nothing was quite as effective

also the rating system being solely dependent on turns was pretty bad imo

tumblr_m002638LSP1qhl4r8o1_500.gif

I agree. Some people just can't apreciate good games that are different from the usual genres and mechanics.

ppl that hate anime in reality hate themselves!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom