• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Good luck wanting that. :p

I'll take console tied (because odds flipping on it will be) but duckroll's reasoning's seem sound.

This seems like a really, really big reveal. The teaser says that it's an online game where you can play with friends. It's also action based. There is a full 18 page preview in Famitsu, so that doesn't sound like a f2p mobile title to me. It's a full blow out with platform, specs, story, multiplayer system details, and developer interviews.

Orrrrr it could be the best and worst of both worlds.

Platform: PC/PS3/PS4
F2P
Director: Kinoshita Kento

-plays like Dragon's Dogma
-world/setting/story is all new
-4 player party max (has AI pawn)
-Has big updates planned
-seasonal updates
-up to 100 people in a lobby
-quick matching is available

Sasskins

Neo Member
What's with the Sack of Gem prices lately? Why would people be crafting boosters when sack prices are $0.65 and only a handful of games make sense. I just want to craft my for profit waifu cards when sacks were $0.53.

Zafir

I'll take console tied (because odds flipping on it will be) but duckroll's reasoning's seem sound.

Orrrrr it could be the best and worst of both worlds.
I thought it was just that Deep Down renamed? After all that looked very similar. That looked like it was for consoles and not mobiles. If it's online I feel like it will have microtransactions either way.

dani_dc

IIRC, It was the first tank control type PnC game so some jank is acceptable.
Battling controls is never enjoyable, issues such as Manny rotating to the opposite direction whenever he touched a collider box while running, were detrimental. But that wasn't as bad as failing to get puzzle solutions recognised by the game because the game demanded very precise position for Manny/item to be in while the controls lacked ant kind of precision.
Nothing worse than figuring out a puzzle solution but thinking you didn't due to a mixture of bad controls and some bad design decision.
No more obtuse than a chicken and pulley.
Monkey Island might have a few of obtuse puzzles admittedly, but overall I thought that the majority of puzzles in the first two MI were well thought off, which is the opposite ratio of my experience with GF.
Was it because of the years in between. I think it was handled pretty well. Granted, I did play it years ago though. Don't know how my opinion will change now. I prefer to keep it that way though.

The years between didn't help, the story simply felt fragmented.
Honestly I felt act 2 was the highlight of the game and that was pretty much it's own self contained story.
Listen, you.

You with the opinion I deeply disagree with.

You'll stop having that opinion, won't you?
I'll replay the game at some point after buying it, but I doubt my opinion will change much. I'm hoping that at least my issues regarding the controls were fixed on the remaster, that by itself would already help.

I do think the writing makes the game worth being experienced.

Dr Dogg

I thought it was just that Deep Down renamed? After all that looked very similar. That looked like it was for consoles and not mobiles. If it's online I feel like it will have microtransactions either way.

Someone tweeted Ono to ask what is happening with Deep Down and he replied that is still being worked on and they will have more info so I guess they're separate. It did look oddly Assassin's Creedy with an Animus like overarching narrative.

And yes apparently DDO has microtransactions, Capcom doing microtransactions :(

Dying Light performance went from great to stutters to massive game freezes every few minutes.

Sounds like a typical Chrome engine game from Techland. Every release of their's has stuttered on PC at launch but eventually get's patched up.

Zafir

someone tweeted Ono to ask what is happening with Deep Down and he replied that is still being worked on and they will have more info so so I guess they're separate. It did look oddly Assassin's Creedy with an Animus like overarching narrative.

And yes apparently DDO has microtransactions, Capcom doing microtransactions :(
Ah right. It's kind of weird that they're working on two arpgs then. Not that I'm complaining!

dani_dc

imo monkey 2 is the best adventure game ever made, specially with voiceovers in the remake

That's honestly my favourite one as well. I didn't play MI until the remakes, so I was shocked at how strongly the game core design and writing were, not many games age that well. If I hadn't known I would never had guessed they were such old titles.

Shame about the art direction in the first game remake and the janky animations due to frame limit in the second game remake.

Anteater

dragon's dogma online to pc, finally, an online game i actually play

microtransaction is worrying, as I like dressing up my pawns and characters and shit

derExperte

I'll get it when it's 2.5€ or in a humblebundle.
I still have the original CD

So much for that. I'll miss your stories about how you still have the original CD. Good times. :O

Was it because of the years in between. I think it was handled pretty well. Granted, I did play it years ago though. Don't know how my opinion will change now. I prefer to keep it that way though.

The jumps in time made the game feel more epic and like you've known these character far longer than you actually have, not enough games do that even today. Also I disagree with the puzzles and basically every other criticism other than the controls, the only Lucas Arts adventure I would rate higher is Indiana Jones Atlantis but I haven't replayed any of them recently.

jfoul

I'm giving away some DLC that I have collecting dust (Humble Bundle Gift Link)
  • Batman™: Arkham Origins DLC (GONE)
  • The Lord of the Rings Online: Steely Dawn Starter Pack (1)
I would like the DLC to go to somebody that can use it.

Send me a PM.

Just finished Grim Fandango's first year.

I activated the tank controls in the main menu in order to get an achievement, but they don't really seem to be any different than most PnC games... Why were the controls so reviled, then? Is there any puzzle later in the game that requires precise movements?

Bringing back the classics

So much for that. I'll miss your stories about how you still have the original CD. Good times. :O

Gosh darn it NingenJanai!

Hey Ningen, here's a "raffle" for you ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Damn ModBot!
Ningen wasn't the only one having the original CD here!

Haha, OMG, I didn't think I'd win. The power of original CD !

Thanks a lot Speevy !

1340040299353.gif

derExperte

Just finished Grim Fandango's first year.

I activated the tank controls in the main menu in order to get an achievement, but they don't really seem to be any different than most PnC games... Why were the controls so reviled, then? Is there any puzzle later in the game that requires precise movements?

But they were nothing like p'n'c since you didn't point and click. It was a huge change, I could deal with it in GF because the rest was so great but by the time Escape from Monkey Island came around.... no thanks.

Played it a few years ago, thought the controls were substandard, the puzzles were mostly obtuse and the overall storyline was too disconnected between each act. Great writing and VA though.

Basically, a signature Tim Schafer game.

Leave Tim Schafer alone.

He might have only made one good game in the last twenty five years, but Day of the Tentacle almost makes up for the rest of them.

Arthea

I bet you missed my greenlight updates! So here is one:
150 games were greenlit till my last update, not going to make a list this time, too many. Fantasy Mosaics unfortunately was not greenlit, kindly upvote it, steamgaf.

this looks all kind of interesting and mentioning Twin Peaks as inspiration always helps too.

paper point and click, unfortunately it's a kickstarter game and I doubt it'll be successful

another kickstarter game, looks not bad too
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=380830419

the game we all have been waiting for! Toro your way to glory

there are much more notable submissions, but as of late most seem to be at the "just a concept" stage.

IndieGala text:
I think you misread the text. But I have an extra Words for Evil key if you need another one.
Thanks for your offer, but it's OK, I would have given it away anyway, no rush, I just wanted to whine some about indiegala some (><)

Mr. Doop

I'm finally done with the Half Life series. Episode two was pretty great, but it makes me sad that Half Life 3 is probably lost in limbo forever.

Maniac

Banned
SIX THOUSAND, TWO HUNDRED WORDS.

AND IT'S NOT EVEN REALLY TUESDAY YET.

Suffice it to say, my week's been pretty busy. Published that Pre-Sequel review on Steam, Kotaku's publishing a piece I've got tomorrow, and possibly this one I just submitted on Friday, AND I blogged about the core of a good shooter.

Now to go write about Wolfenstein and Thief: The Dark Project.

--

EDIT: I would do filthy things for a copy of that game wot ya'll are talking about. I've never played a "classic" adventure game before, and I hear it's a good one.

EDIT 2: Dying Light has an FOV slider and it's SUPER SMOOTH SO FAR
Now I can't help but wonder what your prefered FOV is.

I've always had a hard time finding what suits me. :|

Also looking forward to reading your pieces! :)

Jawmuncher

Speaking of: Will the Remastered Version of this be a minimal effort as well or can we expect some Monkey Island 2 Special Edition-esque "proper Remaster"?

We'll know when they give us a release estimate. We all knew what we were getting with fandango with how quick the announcement and release was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom