• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought FC3 was good. As long as you don't get depressed doing the billions of collectibles and just stick to the main story and pick up collectibles you happen to see on your way, it was pretty enjoyable.

yep. You just need to stop when you feel it's getting too much.
For a while it's neat to run around and explore the island. It's beautiful too

It's not a masterpiece, but it's fun

FC2 on the other hand is super experimental and very rough around the edges, but still very enjoyable if you can look past a few things

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
also, even tho I was praising it highly yesterday (and I was really into it at first), I think Legend of Grimrock is losing me / lost me (im on floor 4 now)

I find that im basically killing 1 enemy, sleeping, saving, killing another enemy, sleeping, saving, and it feels super cheap. Unfortunately, there is no alternative since you take so much dmg from every enemy, you have to do this I find

also, even tho I was praising it highly yesterday (and I was really into it at first), I think Legend of Grimrock is losing me / lost me (im on floor 4 now)

I find that im basically killing 1 enemy, sleeping, saving, killing another enemy, sleeping, saving, and it feels super cheap. Unfortunately, there is no alternative since you take so much dmg from every enemy, you have to do this I find

that wasn't my experience at all. you need to stay mobile in combat and dodge around the monsters. You're not supposed to tank
Many/most enemies shouldn't damage you at all

Nordicus

leveling doesn't even do all that much in that game thanks to that fucked up character system that makes absolutely no sense lol
Splendid game but I gotta agree, the character & leveling systems have tons of issues and were bit of a disappointment.

The only things that improved in that field going from Witcher 2 to 3, was that investing just 1 point in an ability instead of maxing it out isn't as consistently a waste, and the chance to respec comes much earlier.

When I say "waste", I means skills like this that were abundant in Witcher 2

Synthesis
Level 1: +20 HP
Level 2: +100 HP

Specialization: Potions
Level 1: Potion duration +10%
Level 2: Potion duration +40%

Asgaro

header.jpg

https://steamdb.info/app/422420/subs/
what the hell is this madness?

Mandatory: Godus Beta v 1.3.1 - Is It Worth A Buy?

Ludens

Banned
I just completed Old City Leviathan, can someone tell me what I played?
I also checked the wiki, what is this game about?
I have a big headache.

AsfaeksBR

Already finished Dark Arisen on consoles, so I'll wait and grab it later.

Currently playing Shadowrun Dragonfall, and kinda of in the mood to stay in the genre. Is UnderRail any good?

Selling people on Yakuza as an open-world game will just give the wrong expectations.

It's more an action rpg/adventure with "open world elements"

So Undertale isn't nearly as charming/amusing/funny as I was led to believe. I've only played an hour and a half of it so maybe it gets much better later on, but I can already tell the kind of humor it's going for and I don't know...

Maybe I'm too old for meme filled games.

Ludens

Banned

I complete that on Hard. With a guide for all secrets. It was painfull :D
And still I ended on missing two secrets despite using the guide, but the game was worth. I still need to do Grimrock 2, I'm waiting because it's a so demanding game, I'm not really in the mood at the moment.

Bowlie

Banned
So Undertale isn't nearly as charming/amusing/funny as I was led to believe. I've only played an hour and a half of it so maybe it gets much better later on, but I can already tell the kind of humor it's going for and I don't know...

I really don't wanna be this guy, but when people praise Undertale so much they're thinking about the last hours of the game. And the humor is not the most important part of it. I think if you reached the Core and you're still not feeling it, then you could stop playing.

edit: and thanks for the tips!

I had fun with FC3. Played it at my own pace until I beat it.

And Yakuza is one of the best franchises in gaming. That's really all you need to know.

Welcome to the club. Maybe someday I'll go back and finish it, but now I got better things to do.

Tizoc

I have Yakuza 4 on PS+ and played around 2 hours a year ago. But I cannot play PS3 games any more the resolution hurts my eyes.
And the jaggie, ugh the jaggies....

Selling people on Yakuza as an open-world game will just give the wrong expectations.

I edited my post, but I explain it in the 2nd line before my edit :V

AHA-Lambda

The first couple of hours are probably the game at its worst for what its worth, it's pretty slow there

The answers to the calculus questions were OGNNOODDD.
The answers to the trivia questions:
Vais
Gifv
Dicks (his real name was Edward de la Fontaine)
Arthur ("peanut butter sandwich" and "pearls before swine" refer to PBS, while "believe in yourself" refers to the theme song)
Lieu (in English it's pronounce like "ly-oo", but it's different in French)
Passchendaele (Aquaman refers to Arthur Currie, since Aquaman's name is Arthur Curry)
Patrick (his house is a rock)
Stewart (Patrick Stewart was Claudius in Hamlet and Professor X)
Y (Why)

If you looked at the puzzle, I mentioned the number 131 and made a joke about "Edward de la Dong". The real name of Dicks (third answer) was Edward de la Fontaine, which I thought would be a big hint. I also mentioned "1O1" in a later clue. The guy that posted a while ago about the letters of the calculus answers and the "difficulty ratings" corresponding to the letters in each trivia answer was right, but they didn't figure out that 131 and 1O1 are significant. "1O1" refers to the letters you are supposed to use in the third answer. The "O" corresponds to the three letters in the middle, as D is 1, O is 2, N is 3, and G is 4 according to the poem in the puzzle. After taking the letters from every trivia answer, you can unscramble them to get "Fuck trivia giveaways".
Sheesh! I'm just glad you're not an evil mastermind. All agencies in the world would not be able to foil your plans XD
#screenshotsaturday has returned in 2016!

As leaked on Socks Make People Sexy’s 36th podcast episode, we’d like to introduce you to the Dean of Suijoki Academy. He’s a slow spoken, methodical man who insists he’s always available for his students, but never actually seems to be around on campus! His speeches are inspiring, driving a fierce loyalty within the student body. Most people don’t even know his name, as he only ever refers to himself as his job title. Still! If you ever do manage to see him, he’s always welcoming and ready to set aside time to make sure your experience at the academy is up to standard.

Our second character reveal is our good friend lashman, also known as Martin from Robotbrush. He’s a central figure to our community, and have been keeping his character under wraps through development. In light of recent events, we felt it was best to show him that he’s been with us this whole time, and we all hope he feels better soon. <3

With calenders now officially rolled over to 2016, we realize progress has been quite invisible over the past 6 months. We hope to have more to show you soon, and can’t wait to get Suijoki Academy into your hands. Until next time!
Ha! That is awesome.
lmao pirates already playing dragon's dogma

NotLikeThis.png
NotLikeThis.png
NotLikeThis.png
NotLikeThis.png

Twitter full of pics.
Ehhh? You sure it's not playtesters or something like that? The game is not even out yet, how could anyone even pirate it?!
Happy birthday ningen!

Sheesh! I'm just glad you're not an evil mastermind. All agencies in the world would not be able to foil your plans XD

Ha! That is awesome.

Ehhh? You sure it's not playtesters or something like that? The game is not even out yet, how could anyone even pirate it?!

Happy birthday ningen!

press copy got leaked yesterday

Arthea

it could be that my new hd died also... my PC doesn't boot at all, don't go past bios as if there was no hd at all. I see 2016 started well... not that I expected it to be any different than any previous year.

That leaves me with playing games on my laptop until I solve this problem, I wish there was some kind of list of games that don't overheat that stupid Radeon, because so far it seems some indies are able to do it just as well as Trails or any other bigger game. Maybe I should dig into VNs I have plenty of.

*sigh

dex3108

it could be that my new hd died also... my PC doesn't boot at all, don't go past bios as if there was no hd at all. I see 2016 started well... not that I expected it to be any different than any previous year.

Change cable and SATA port on motherboard first to see if it will work.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Honestly if you want a good open world game...well it's not really open world; the city is the hub but the side stuff you do are a lot better since they're actually fun and well designed.
Anyways, what you want is to play the Yakuza series.

Ran out of money to play Pool?
Run around until you find a punk who picks a fight with you. Beat his ass, get item or Yen, go back and play some more Pool.
Yakuza 3's pool was surprisingly addicting. Good stuff.
I need to punch some thugs through bicycles, photograph random citizens being crazy and get my karaoke on. Those orphans can wait.

True.

I would love to see more people talk about that series. I loved what i've played from 3 and seen from other entries. It's crazy, in a good way.
Would love to see some Steam ports.
Sega pls.

Memes? What memes?

gelf

I don't really recall the game being filled with memes, I can't actually recall a single meme. Maybe I am too old to actually recognise a meme.
Same. I can't remember a single meme reference and I finished it full pacifist route.

I don't entirely see what the fuss was about though. It was decent enough a game I guess.

Tizoc

For Ningen, here's a redhead I don't think you ever played as
tessa-pocket-fighter-artwork-white.png

Tessa aka Tabatha/Tabasa from Warzard/Red Earth.

Ludens

Banned
In my way to seek the truth about Leviathan, I found this:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/297350/discussions/0/619574421201992989/

copy/past of the dev's post:

Did you read the ingame notes? Do you understand the significance of reaching the Old City? Are you aware of the basics of the biblical Jonah storyline? Do you understand the progression from premodernism to modernism to postmodernism? Are you aware of the basics of epistemology? Do you understand Jonah's basic problem in life and his basic ontology? Did you read Solomon's notes? Are you aware of the basics of the game world (the factions, their ideologies, the basics of ideology itself, etc)? All of these things will be helpful in understanding what is happening.

I admit I studied some of those things in the university, still....should I take another degree to understand what is going on there?

The dev promised a document about the full story on December (around 20th), than on 31st he posted he got a delay, now we are fully into January and still nothing.

I expect something of the size of The story of the Vivian girls, in What is known as the Realms of the Unreal, of the Glandeco-Angelinnian War Storm, Caused by the Child Slave Rebellion at this point.

EDIT: Another post in the same thread, by a user (dunno if he is serious or just trolling):

Hello, could you provide a complete list of texts/ideas/people one must have some prior familiarity with to enjoy/appreciate this game experience?

So far I have form your reply and in game:
-Book of Jonah
-Pre/Post Modernism
-Epistemology
-Ontology
-Truth Theory
-Psychoanalysis
-Freudian Theory and Dream Interpretation
-Existentialism
-Nihilism
-Existential Nihilism

Some of these subjects seem broad, maybe you can better narrow down what we can focus on within each?

Any people to add?
-Nietzsche?
-Sigmund Freud
-and..?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom