• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

Nice, VR needs to render a 3k image at 90 fps to, you know, work.

Has there even been a tech that was as dead in the water as this? I can't recall anything... Maybe Scratch & Sniff?

Regginator

Has there even been a tech that was as dead in the water as this? I can't recall anything... Maybe Scratch & Sniff?

i haven't been up to date about vr, but why specifically 90, why wouldn't it work without it, is there a specific reason for it?

Hektor

If i write into my microids account that my birthday is today, will i get the 150 points?

ModBot said:
Instructions for Hektor:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Hektor, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Robin Hood -- MB-6BD23248668BE184 - Taken by 73V3N
Experience 112 -- MB-37F57CBCDCB8FD68 - Taken by anastef

Blu(e)

Dragon's Dogma will open up in a few hours and I won't be up for the "launch" so I'll just leave the English and Japanese version of Coils of Light (just a random song I like from the OST).

If it's your first time playing check out the OT that has a few tips and some people from the community that I'm sure will help you out when they can. Hope you enjoy your stay.

The wind is pushing me

jdw_b

Want me to go outside and take a picture of the millions of spiders in my garden in the middle of night???

Ha no thanks

I'm very aware that spiders are everywhere, though my cats do a good job of keeping house spiders to a minimum

I genuinely hate the things, seeing them in games, pictures...or basically anything makes me extremely anxious

Grief.exe

Luckily, those capable of rendering at those specifications are essentially guaranteed to have disposable income and a desire to be at the forefront of technology.
That will cover their investment in the short-term while waiting for technology to progress in the long term. Remember, there is a die shrink and HBM2 upgrade coming to GPUs this year.

Knurek

Luckily, those capable of rendering at those specifications are essentially guaranteed to have disposable income and a desire to be at the forefront of technology.
That will cover their investment in the short-term while waiting for technology to progress in the long term. Remember, there is a die shrink and HBM2 upgrade coming to GPUs this year.

Do you think betting your business on support of 1% of 1% of user base is a good, viable idea?
Especially if said portion of user base is accustomed to just using ULTRA everything everytime everywhere and might not like having to turn down setting to Medium or Low just to run the games?

Buy a headset with a lower resolution then?

Are there any? Oculus seems to have the lowest resolution of them all, and it still renders natively at 2K.

Grief.exe

Do you think betting your business on support of 1% of 1% of user base is a good, viable idea?
Especially if said portion of user base is accustomed to just using ULTRA everything everytime everywhere and might not like having to turn down setting to Medium or Low just to run the games?

Does that somehow preclude massive growth down the road?

Technology is going to progress at a pace where this is likely to be at a mainstream price point within a year or so, allowing the hardcore to essentially beta test and market your product while developing content.

MUnited83

For you.

Are there any? Oculus seems to have the lowest resolution of them all, and it still renders natively at 2K.

It's a pretty good idea. The first generation is geared to enthusiasts and it will have no issues selling what they need to be profitable. You're seriously understimating the market lol.

And yes, there's low cost low resolution VR headsets too: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1165710

Enthusiasts and pro segment exists? And you're forgetting mobile VR and PSVR. Oculus and HTC know this won't have mass market appeal, so they're going for the high-end and hope in years it'll reach the mainstream. Nothing wrong about it. Can't stand this binary thinking that if something's doesn't have immediate mass appeal then it's dead.

Grief.exe

I will ask here too, if somebody has additional Beta key for PC for The Division i would like to get it :D

Easy:

That was easy.

• pre-order PC Physical. (Offer does not apply to digital content.)
  • PS4/XBO physical work too.
  • Doesn't charge your card until Amazon ships.
  • Immediately sends you an email with activation code.
  • Activates on Division website, attaches to your Uplay account.
  • Took less than one minute.

Theoretically you can cancel your pre-order at any time, but I'm going to wait until after the Beta.

cAuAJ1b.png

Knurek

Does that somehow preclude massive growth down the road?

Technology is going to progress at a pace where this is likely to be at a mainstream price point within a year or so, allowing the hardcore to essentially beta test and market your product while developing content.

I don't share your optimism with regards to tech progress, especially given how one sided the market has become lately.
Intel doesn't feel the need to make better CPUs, they are focusing on optimizing for power to battle the mobile market.
Likewise NVIDIA, Maxwell was a linear progression from Kepler focusing on power optimization. We'll see how Pascal fares, whenever that drops. Might be amazing, might be just more of the same.

MUnited83

For you.
Enthusiasts and pro segment exists? And you're forgetting mobile VR and PSVR. Oculus and HTC know this won't have mass market appeal, so they're going for the high-end and hope in years it'll reach the mainstream. Nothing wrong about it. Can't stand this binary thinking that if something's doesn't have immediate mass appeal then it's dead.

Don't you hear? Everything needs to sell 20 millions to be sucessful.

accel

Intel doesn't feel the need to make better CPUs, they are focusing on optimizing for power to battle the mobile market.
Likewise NVIDIA, Maxwell was a linear progression from Kepler focusing on power optimization.

??? That's where the focus is, but that *does* make CPUs better. You can't make CPUs bigger so to speak, if you are after processing power, it is way more productive to use more of them, and consuming less power both allows using more CPUs and solves numerous other problems. (Same in spades for GPUs.)

Pachimari

In hindsight, I kind of regret that I paid $999 for a Sony HMZ-T1 (was an amazing experience though) when I could have had that money now, for a HTC Vive. But it's always easy to look at it that way. For now I'm skipping out on VR. I rather upgrade my monitors and GPU.

Knurek

Yeah, well, let's just hope Vive doesn't crash and burn so terribly to cause Valve to sell Steam to EA/Ubisoft to offset the cost.

I wouldn't want that to happen. Would you?

#NotLikeThisVRNotLikeThis

Zeeman

For the Humble Weekly, I already own three Tex Murphy games: Martian Memorandum, and Under a Killing Moon. Are the other games in the $1 tier worthwhile?

Also, I already own Her Story on iOS, but how is Roundabout? The gameplay looks pretty bizarre and potentially not fun from what I can see.

MUnited83

For you.
Yeah, well, let's just hope Vive doesn't crash and burn so terribly to cause Valve to sell Steam to EA/Ubisoft to offset the cost.

I wouldn't want that to happen. Would you?

#NotLikeThisVRNotLikeThis

That's quite literally impossible. Even if it did crash and burn the ones that would have severe financial issues because of it would be HTC themselves.

Pachimari

Just bought Oxenfree. I think I'm gonna play these smaller games and complete them, besides Final Fantasy VII which will take a longer time. I'll probably get The Witness, Disgaea and Street Fighter V for February.

I blanked out for a second and ended up buying Dragon's Dogma.

When I first played it, I put it to the side for some reason and never went back. I wasn't going to pick this up until I finished the Witcher (which I've also put to the side temporarily) so I really don't know how this happened.

Anyway, I beat Undertale, so I'm at least making some headway into the 52 games.

Durante

Why do you sometimes make posts that are exceedingly idiotic?

Don't you hear? Everything needs to sell 20 millions to be sucessful.
Yeah, totally. Remember when the first model cell phones sold in the few thousand units worldwide? Mobile phone technology was dead.

Gaming forums struggle with big picture discussion.
Do they ever!

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
The hype got to me.

dragonsdogmah5u0d.png

I've grown hopeful with Dragon's Dogma's PC release.
I called myself crazy for wishing that Folklore, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Nier or one of the King's Field games would one day find their way to Steam.
Not anymore.

I want to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom