• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, there's word that Lollipop Chainsaw is in active beta testing for Steam, heads up. I need a confirm on it, but it looks like it might be happening.

Could that be the highly requested action game that Ghostlight are teasing?

Should I say goodbye to my Way of the Samurai 3 dreams? :(

Kifimbo

Spare:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Fractal: Make Blooms Not War -- MB-961A1F4F29738FE8 - Taken by Purkake4. 2 entrants total.

t1452981233z1.png

With all this talk of melee combat games people are forgetting the series that has the best one. Mount&Blade, in this age, and in any other. ͡° ͜ʖ

zkylon

zkylewd
thing is that a lot of people aren't mature enough to discuss the combat mechanics of both games, people here discuss games not because they want to compare them mechanically but that they just want their favorite games to "win".

I really like to see those games compared, just as much as I want to see a game like uncharted and gears of war compared, or dmc/ng vs god of war, or forza vs gran turismo, but on gaf, it doesn't seem possible
i'm not sure if they're games you should be comparing tho

they have things in common (real time twitch+pattern learning execution-based combat, high difficulty) but only superficially so. it's not like comparing dmc and bayonetta, it's like comparing fallout to final fantasy, both might be story-heavy turn based tactical combat games, but cmon.

dark souls has such a huge emphasis on exploration that it begs the comparison to other games a lot more than dmc. i think there are comparisons that are more interesting:
- systems-based first person dungeon crawlers like ultima underworld
- roguelikes with lots of diversity in character progression (i know very little of roguelike history so no examples) and for the learning through dying gameplay loop
- classic survival horror games like silent hill or resident evil for environmental storytelling and resource management
- open level design comparable to the greats of level design like doom or thief or whatever
- king's field itself to know more about souls history
- modern gaming in general (ass creed, etc.) for the contrast between the intrinsic vs extrinsic reward structures

some examples i figure make better areas of discussions than devil may cry or bayonetta, because tbh dark souls is nothing like neither of those games. dark souls is a slow, deliberate, minimalistic game with (mostly) punishing animation-priority gameplay mixed with very rewarding dungeon crawling.

barely anything about what makes dark souls dark souls has anything to do with bayo/dmc. yeah there's the difficulty thing and real time combat but you can say the same about league of legends or whatever :p

i can give you your discussion if you want, just pls don't think i am mature

Eila

So, there's word that Lollipop Chainsaw is in active beta testing for Steam, heads up. I need a confirm on it, but it looks like it might be happening.

But I just said the other day that and Code of Princess were never happening :(
Would be great if someone could finish up that port and also bring back the UmiKawase games.

Jawmuncher

If we're getting more Suda games I definitely want Shadows of the Damned the most. Since I don't think EA owns it, since it was a similar agreement like Fuse.

But I just said the other day that and Code of Princess were never happening :(
Would be great if someone could finish up that port and also bring back the UmiKawase games.

Surprised no one has done Umi yet. Could see Nightdive doing it if it isn't too much hassle. Guess people need to let publishers know that they want the games back. As for Code of Princess, I still want that to happen. Have wanted to play the game for awhile and never got the 3DS version.

zkylon

zkylewd
el shaddai doesn't even look nice, feels like a bunch of free filters plastered together with little thought behind them, then a random sci fi section because who the fuck knows

what a terrible unredeemable game lol

Eila

Surprised no one has done Umi yet. Could see Nightdive doing it if it isn't too much hassle. Guess people need to let publishers know that they want the games back. As for Code of Princess, I still want that to happen. Have wanted to play the game for awhile and never got the 3DS version.

Apparently the 3DS version had a ton of slowdown so I would also love a PC port. It's just too sad that Agatsuma folded right after delivering their 3 PC ports.
Wonder what they were thinking. Were they hoping the Umi Kawase games sold gangbusters on steam to stay alive? Or were they already doomed and just put their employees to work on something in the meantime?

gelf

I tried the demo of El Shaddai, decided I didn't even like the art direction everyone was raving about and never wanted to play it again.

Anteater

i'm not sure if they're games you should be comparing tho

they have things in common (real time twitch+pattern learning execution-based combat, high difficulty) but only superficially so. it's not like comparing dmc and bayonetta, it's like comparing fallout to final fantasy, both might be story-heavy turn based tactical combat games, but cmon.

dark souls has such a huge emphasis on exploration that it begs the comparison to other games a lot more than dmc. i think there are comparisons that are more interesting:
- systems-based first person dungeon crawlers like ultima underworld
- roguelikes with lots of diversity in character progression (i know very little of roguelike history so no examples) and for the learning through dying gameplay loop
- classic survival horror games like silent hill or resident evil for environmental storytelling and resource management
- open level design comparable to the greats of level design like doom or thief or whatever
- king's field itself to know more about souls history
- modern gaming in general (ass creed, etc.) for the contrast between the intrinsic vs extrinsic reward structures

some examples i figure make better areas of discussions than devil may cry or bayonetta, because tbh dark souls is nothing like neither of those games. dark souls is a slow, deliberate, minimalistic game with (mostly) punishing animation-priority gameplay mixed with very rewarding dungeon crawling.

barely anything about what makes dark souls dark souls has anything to do with bayo/dmc. yeah there's the difficulty thing and real time combat but you can say the same about league of legends or whatever :p

i can give you your discussion if you want, just pls don't think i am mature

but you just compared them with your post, which isn't something a lot of people on gaf actually could, there are literally a few people that can talk about it without 150 other people being butt hurt and derailing the topic, however a witcher vs souls game are literally different too but we get a thread of that every other week

zkylon

zkylewd
FiyfFOp.jpg

it's not really an art direction

it's random photoshop filters that don't even look too good

(admittedly on some parts it does look nice but u know, broken clocks being right twice a day etc etc)

but you just compared them with your post, which isn't something a lot of people on gaf actually could, there are literally a few people that can talk about it without 150 other people being butt hurt and derailing the topic, however a witcher vs souls game are literally different too but we get a thread of that every other week
you can compare them, just not create real discussion

what are you gonna say? bayo has faster and more intricate combat than souls games? but then its level design is just corridor->arena->corridor?

sure, but that's not gonna provide much insight for anyone, they're games from different genres with superficial similarities, that's all

also idk about witcha vs souls, i don't really bother with reading other threads than league thread

MUnited83

For you.
Apparently the 3DS version had a ton of slowdown so I would also love a PC port. It's just too sad that Agatsuma folded right after delivering their 3 PC ports.
Wonder what they were thinking. Were they hoping the Umi Kawase games sold gangbusters on steam to stay alive? Or were they already doomed and just put their employees to work on something in the meantime?

Umi will probably be back. The IP belongs to the developers, and the developers didn't went down.

Anteater

you can compare them, just not create real discussion

what are you gonna say? bayo has faster and more intricate combat than souls games? but then its level design is just corridor->arena->corridor?

sure, but that's not gonna provide much insight for anyone, they're games from different genres with superficial similarities, that's all

i don't know what I'm going to say,because I'm not an expert in both games, but there's discussion to be had, but the fact that people could compare witcher and souls games every other day is something that I find stupid. I'd want to see someone talk about NG or DMC vs Souls games, don't you think so?

Knurek

And what's more, when a few companies finally actually create products for enthusiasts (ostensibly us!) -- and those demand higher prices, like they do for any hobby -- some gamers completely lose their shit. It happened with the TItan, it happened with G-sync, and it's happening with VR.

For a bit of perspective let's talk about average wage in Austria (€2124 in 2015) and Poland (€705).

Yes, cost of living might be slightly lower here, but definitely not 3x as low (bar of chocolate costs €.80 here, beer at pub €3). And groups of imported products, including electronic stuff, are even more expensive here (23% VAT here instead of 20%).
So something that may be slightly pricey for you, would require taking mortage for me.
Titan, G-Sync, VR, all of those.
Please understand

tmarg

however a witcher vs souls game are literally different too but we get a thread of that every other week

I haven't played 3, but witcher 1 and 2 don't have good combat, and would be significantly better games if they did. That doesn't mean that they aren't worth playing, or even necessarily that they should look to souls games for inspiration, but it certainly leaves the door open for the conversation. It's quite a bit different from the comparison to character action games that actually do combat well in a different way.

Looks like it's not ready yet. Could be good though.
But on the site I only see Indigo and Homeworld under Aspyr via search.

They even mention the offer on the newsletter they sent earlier today. Seems like it should have been ready to go by now.

Also, while it should be featured on MacGameStore, the link actually takes you to WInGameStore for some reason.

zkylon

zkylewd
i don't know what I'm going to say,because I'm not an expert in both games, but there's discussion to be had, but the fact that people could compare witcher and souls games every other day is something that I find stupid. I'd want to see someone talk about NG or DMC vs Souls games, don't you think so?
tbh, i'd say witcha has as much in common with dark souls as bayo or ninja gaiden

could all those games learn something from each other? sure, i guess, but dark souls specifically makes some big compromises with its gameplay to have the amount of variables to it that it has. it's a rpg more than a character action game, so it's combat is simpler to enable all those kind of different items and enemy types and strategies and whatnot. the core differences between animation cancelling and priority are so big in terms of like "design paradigms" or whateveryoucall it and then there's exploration...

idk, i'm guessing there could be some things to be learned from comparing the two but honestly, i don't think it's gonna be much of anything.

just compare it to ultima underworld or even super metroid or something, i bet you'll get much more interesting results :>

Nah. Some games are straight up ugly.
i mean, some of it is kinda pretty

E3_ES_04.jpg

but oh damn our audience is getting bored! quick, let's add a random tron section!

maxresdefault.jpg

and somehow that's the best part of the game lol

Anteater

tbh, i'd say witcha has as much in common with dark souls as bayo or ninja gaiden

could all those games learn something from each other? sure, i guess, but dark souls specifically makes some big compromises with its gameplay to have the amount of variables to it that it has. it's a rpg more than a character action game, so it's combat is simpler to enable all those kind of different items and enemy types and strategies and whatnot. the core differences between animation cancelling and priority are so big in terms of like "design paradigms" or whateveryoucall it and then there's exploration...

idk, i'm guessing there could be some things to be learned from comparing the two but honestly, i don't think it's gonna be much of anything.

just compare it to ultima underworld or even super metroid or something, i bet you'll get much more interesting results :>

I do think souls 1 philosophy is similar to dmc and ng though, in the fact that it gives you enough sound/visual cues to dodge every single attack but except it's a lot slower, I've played it mostly with poopy gears and the major thing different is that the damage curve affect the difficulty, it's still very comparable to other japanese action games, I still think souls games compare closely to character action games than witcher to souls.

tuxfool

Banned
i mean, some of it is kinda pretty

E3_ES_04.jpg

but oh damn our audience is getting bored! quick, let's add a random tron section!

maxresdefault.jpg

and somehow that's the best part of the game lol

My point was that parts of that game aren't pretty by mere chance, and that you couldn't just stick anybody there and expect to have the same results. This game has some nice art design at times. It just isn't consistently good.

Games in general span the entire gamut, from downright ugly nearly all the time to very pretty nearly all the time.

Just woke up. It's almost 3PM. :V

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 18 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Egypt the Prophecy #2 -- MB-8E58A46C31EA0528 - Taken by Kuroyume
Nostradamus -- MB-8F6DB1A90AE39E87
Experience 112 -- MB-E2298C5DDF67EC8A - Taken by Camel Master
Amerzone #2 -- MB-821AD5735C0F091D
Haegemonia #2 -- MB-02069CF09AEF80F3
Haegemonia #3 -- MB-7E2F6FE5599FEDB5
Egypt the Prophecy -- MB-441E9EE526D77FF8 - Taken by LordCommanderNooooo
Amerzone -- MB-EDF006FDC0A219F3
Haegemonia #4 -- MB-5D041C9887C4D46B
Nostradamus #2 -- MB-91B96477DEB23EE9
Gods Vs Humans #2 -- MB-9FBB90CEB572865A - Taken by septicore
Iron Storm -- MB-9EA64BFEF6F13F0C - Taken by shervinrs
Gods Vs Humans -- MB-2B8C20AE22AC227B - Taken by Hektor
Robin Hood -- MB-E982C0316062F07B - Taken by alr1ght
Haegemonia -- MB-75308CB3D8403E13
Crazy Cars #2 -- MB-440DBAFBF45EA848 - Taken by Camel Master
Robin Hood #2 -- MB-2984FCF41690555E - Taken by fuzzy123
Crazy Cars -- MB-4478A92877A30C10 - Taken by rainking187

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Webhallen is about as trustworthy when it comes to game releasedate "leaks" as amazon france.

Which means it's probably just made up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom