• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

I would finally be able to play it.

Put's Left 4 Dead to shame. (Even though they can't really be compared)

CZI5uQNUsAAW_fA.jpg:large
CZI54IhUAAA2Rgy.jpg:large

CZI5dpWVIAAEboe.jpg:large

What's even going on here. Also she isn't pants-less in the first image.
But I spoiler Tagged them just in case for people here.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I want some good costumes not this shit, it only will end up being I won't spend money on them (well maybe the fucking Mika suit because it was just too ridiculous)

Also I've decided to buy sfv, is it available on GmG and do you get a key for it now? (I've heard sfv is going to be a bit easier to get into, just what I need as a fighting game noob)

Anyone else have hot Resident Evil 0 costumes they're giving away :p

Kind of lame the complete costume pack doesn't discount for us who pre-ordered.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Interactive Fiction fans, the three of you that might be in the midst of SteamGAF, Orihaus' richly detailed and darkly written To Burn In Memory has finally hit Steam. I originally played the web browser version before the audio was fixed, and still found myself lost deep within the city's cracked and filthy walls.

Unlike your standard Twine IF, TBIM has a striking visual design that solidifies the imagery of its destitute locale. There were some features the author wished to use but found difficult to produce in Twine, so they wrote their own IF engine that tailored to their needs. It's an immense undertaking, especially with the chosen lexicon being flowery and poetic over bluntly descriptive. Still, highly worth the read if one can swallow its dense vocabulary and navigate its labyrinthine pathways.

Knurek

Interactive Fiction fans, the three of you that might be in the midst of SteamGAF, Orihaus' richly detailed and darkly written To Burn In Memory has finally hit Steam. I originally played the web browser version before the audio was fixed, and still found myself lost deep within the city's cracked and filthy walls.

Is it a CYOA or a proper IF (parser and all the jizz)?

You mention TWINE, which kind of makes IFs playable for me. I always hated guess the word problems in IFs.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Is it a CYOA or a proper IF (parser and all the jizz)?

You mention TWINE, which kind of makes IFs playable for me. I always hated guess the word problems in IFs.

CYOA. It's a little more in-depth than TWINE titles since you have an inventory for items that give you access to more of the city, and special 'memories' you can unlock which will take you on side stories which explain how the city fell into ruin. But almost all of this is handled by clicking keywords or phrases in the text, rather than a full parser.

Probably should stop buying blind bundles

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

AoF Chess Club -- MB-0B918A9E7AEA175D - Taken by Purkake4
Job the Leprechaun -- MB-B2700A279B37FAA7 - Taken by NingenJanai
xheRJRF.gif
Postal -- MB-D9FA3D752939C943 - Taken by neonglow
SimpleRockets -- MB-A2B9D1A5FDD378D7 - Taken by texhnolyze

accel

Saw Firaxis bundle on HB, had about half of the games, but still a good deal. Bought. Instead of a code for each game, got two codes for two parts of the bundle... ... ... Never buying anything from HB again prior to reading this thread.

Playing Resident Evil 0 at 4K and it's insane how good it looks, backgrounds scale well and the character models are exquisite. Bring pre-rendered back please.

Deques

Is there any tool that can where it monitors where a game create files, ie save files?
I am looking for one because there are few games that lack Steam Cloud support and not yet supported by GameSave Manager and they're also lesser known games

accel

BTW, I just noticed that one of the updates to Windows 10 brought Candy Crush Soda Saga. The Solitaire of the 21st century. :)

mrgone

Is there any tool that can where it monitors where a game create files, ie save files?
I am looking for one because there are few games that lack Steam Cloud support and not yet supported by GameSave Manager and they're also lesser known games

I havn't messed with it much myself, but you might be able to use something like NirSoft's FolderChangesView to find out where changes are being made. It's always been a real pain in the ass to track that stuff down manually if someone doesn't post a location in the game's discussion forum or something.

Deques

I havn't messed with it much myself, but you might be able to use something like NirSoft's FolderChangesView to find out where changes are being made. It's always been a real pain in the ass to track that stuff down manually if someone doesn't post a location in the game's discussion forum or something.

Thanks, this tool helped me find the save files for a game :D

Sent the information to GameSave Manager, hopefully it will be supported in the next few days

Pachimari

BTW, I just noticed that one of the updates to Windows 10 brought Candy Crush Soda Saga. The Solitaire of the 21st century. :)

I refuse to play Candy Crush if I can't even compete with my own mother, who is at level 400-something. My jaw went to the floor.

If I buy soundtracks on Steam, will I be able to play them through my iPhone somehow?

Already owned everything in the first tier of the Firaxis bundle, so here it is.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Zero-Crescent, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Humble Firaxis $1 Tier (XCOM Enemy Unknown, Pirates, Ace Patrol Bundle, Civ III Complete) -- MB-8E9A246016974AD5 - Taken by shervinrs

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Resident Evil 0 Exclusive DLC Steam -- MB-D377812AFA6EBE61 - Taken by Deques. 6 entrants total.
Resident Evil 0 Exclusive DLC PS3/PS4 -- MB-175D28B65DA8A41B - Taken by Megauap. 2 entrants total.
Resident Evil 0 Exclusive DLC One -- MB-1FA514F435718E13 - Taken by Southwark. 1 entrants total.
Resident Evil 0 Exclusive DLC 360 -- MB-0AB5BB39C9F946AF - Taken by BorntoPlay. 1 entrants total.

t1453289861z1.png

Came across this interesting blog post on reddit. It's from the developer of Defender's Quest which has been out for 4 years now. In it he talks about how the game continues to sell reasonably well even after so much time. He acknowledges that the game never became an indie darling like FTL or Hotline Miami. It never got wide press coverage or Youtuber attention or anything of the sort. He then wonders why the game continues to sell well enough and comes up with a few reasons. He attributes it to luck (since the game launched in 2012 when the indie scene was very different), high conversion of demo players to customers and the Steam discovery update.

I found that last part pretty interesting. Here's what he says about it

I can't overstate the importance of the Steam Discovery Update -- see my previous article I Wish Upon a Steam for full details, but long story short, our residual (non-promoted) sales picked up after the update and since then have never returned to their pre-discovery-update lows.

I personally didn't like the discovery update and even use ES to disable it's functionality when browsing the site but it's good to know that it actually does function the way it's meant to.

Check out the post if you're interested in his thoughts. There's a lot of data to back up his reasoning and he's full of humility for the success he has had. It's a good read.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's up to Disney and for whatever reason they have never put any of the main KH games on any digital service of any kind. They probably won't for a long time. I would love to be wrong though

Don't they have Kingdom Hearts Chi

Eila

Good to see Sekai Project bringing some more doujin (?) games to the steam store. They sure output a lot of things. Kind of awesome that a fan-translating group evolved into that.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Jet Racing Extreme -- MB-C1E7BB01C2E51BAD - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 1 entrants total.
Death Rally (Classic) -- MB-1B650109D3B7324B - Taken by Ludens. 1 entrants total.
Wacky Wheels -- MB-761BF422BB9B009A
SanctuaryRPG: Black Edition -- MB-3AAB860A930274B3 - Taken by Loptous. 8 entrants total.
Tesla Effect -- MB-A4DC06ED2F6F2CD7 - Taken by Costa1774. 1 entrants total.
Darksiders -- MB-C945F3F621F1F72A - Taken by Madn. 6 entrants total.
rFactor -- MB-93ABA3AF774E5606 - Taken by anastef. 1 entrants total.
Riptide GP2 -- MB-B78F9FF3ED009EEF - Taken by fuzzy123. 8 entrants total.

t1453296641z1.png

Ludens

Banned
Costume Pack 2 is not available anymore as stand-alone purchase, only bundled. So maybe Capcom is giving it to RE Remake owners.

Dr Dogg

So after yesterdays shenanigans of finding out the SFV beta suddenly went live again for a couple of hours in the morning I was fully prepared for it happening again this morning. And low and behold at around the same time as yesterday SFServer tweets out again that the beta is up. And then I proceed to get hammered into the ground. If practice makes perfect I guess no practice makes for my shocking display.

Edit: Well it was only a matter of time...

c7jWBQT.png

Surprised I managed to abstain TIS long.

Pray for me fam

s6mgKgn.png

I actually agree (well in terms of the final products we play rather than hardware differences) but then again I'm an old git that grew up in the era of Spectrums, Amstrad CPCs and Commodore 64s. Really if you look back it's at around the Playstaion/Saturn era where titles are coming out for those systems and being closer together than ever before. Sure they each had their own strong suits with the Playstation geared towards 3D whilst the Saturn excelled at 2D titles and with the 4MB RAM pack got better treatment for arcade ports but when you look at some of the multiplatform titles released on those two they weren't these weird hybrid things we used to get even if each version was handled by different dev teams.

Nowadays the difference between one title to the next is maybe a difference in rendering resolution and maybe lower effects quality which compared to the sometimes completely different versions of games 8 and 16bit systems used to get is, in my eyes, pretty minimal when you look at muliplatform titles. Christ just look at Ghostbusters on NES, Master System, 2600, Spectrum, C64 and/or Amstrad CPC. Conceptually it's almost the same game but the differences between each are flipping huge. Fair enough each of these will be handled by a different bunch of programmers but the limitations of each platform really set each apart from one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom