• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

No, I have only played SF on Arcade and NES machines. I missed out.

All fighting games, far as I can remember, from the previous gen onwards had a replay/spectator mode.

SF5 is the easiest fighting game you could get into atm outside of maybe Skullgirls, and to an extent Guilty Gear Xrd.

Haunted

I think this is important.

OuhYRoe.jpg

wonder what it is for games... err... visual novels?
wow that is a lot of shit anime

Interactive Fiction fans, the three of you that might be in the midst of SteamGAF, Orihaus' richly detailed and darkly written To Burn In Memory has finally hit Steam. I originally played the web browser version before the audio was fixed, and still found myself lost deep within the city's cracked and filthy walls.

Unlike your standard Twine IF, TBIM has a striking visual design that solidifies the imagery of its destitute locale. There were some features the author wished to use but found difficult to produce in Twine, so they wrote their own IF engine that tailored to their needs. It's an immense undertaking, especially with the chosen lexicon being flowery and poetic over bluntly descriptive. Still, highly worth the read if one can swallow its dense vocabulary and navigate its labyrinthine pathways.

CYOA. It's a little more in-depth than TWINE titles since you have an inventory for items that give you access to more of the city, and special 'memories' you can unlock which will take you on side stories which explain how the city fell into ruin. But almost all of this is handled by clicking keywords or phrases in the text, rather than a full parser.

I like interactive fiction but I'm not very big on CYOA as a video game (despite devouring those books when I was little.) Kudos to the developer for making their own IF engine, though. Shame that since most IF games are given out freely, there probably wouldn't be a market for it to be licensed out.

Haunted

Maybe it's time for a new anime movie sweep, see what the industry has produced in terms of big budget production value movies since the last time I checked... I think the last great anime movies I've watched were Redline and Arriety around ~2011.

Need to check up on Ghibli's output since then and the GAF anime thread, though that's mostly focused on TV shows and not movies.

Haunted

Not to mention that your friend's pawns are free regardless of their level, if you really want an ez mode. :D

But you can make it through the game with just Capcom's pawns, no problem.

Arthea

so yeah, mandatory trade e-mails are true. steam feels more and more like a police state with every passing day, especially considering that everything is done for our own good, taking our choices from us too, apparently.

There's only one person who has the TRUTH in all game releases, and he just posted above you :)

trust no one! keep your lightsaber handy

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of an anonymous benefactor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Jet Racing Extreme -- MB-C1E7BB01C2E51BAD - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 1 entrants total.
Death Rally (Classic) -- MB-1B650109D3B7324B - Taken by Ludens. 1 entrants total.
Wacky Wheels -- MB-761BF422BB9B009A
SanctuaryRPG: Black Edition -- MB-3AAB860A930274B3 - Taken by Loptous. 8 entrants total.
Tesla Effect -- MB-A4DC06ED2F6F2CD7 - Taken by Costa1774. 1 entrants total.
Darksiders -- MB-C945F3F621F1F72A - Taken by Madn. 6 entrants total.
rFactor -- MB-93ABA3AF774E5606 - Taken by anastef. 1 entrants total.
Riptide GP2 -- MB-B78F9FF3ED009EEF - Taken by fuzzy123. 8 entrants total.

t1453296641z1.png

garath

Came across this interesting blog post on reddit. It's from the developer of Defender's Quest which has been out for 4 years now. In it he talks about how the game continues to sell reasonably well even after so much time. He acknowledges that the game never became an indie darling like FTL or Hotline Miami. It never got wide press coverage or Youtuber attention or anything of the sort. He then wonders why the game continues to sell well enough and comes up with a few reasons. He attributes it to luck (since the game launched in 2012 when the indie scene was very different), high conversion of demo players to customers and the Steam discovery update.

I found that last part pretty interesting. Here's what he says about it

I personally didn't like the discovery update and even use ES to disable it's functionality when browsing the site but it's good to know that it actually does function the way it's meant to.

Check out the post if you're interested in his thoughts. There's a lot of data to back up his reasoning and he's full of humility for the success he has had. It's a good read.

That's awesome. Good for him. Defenders quest is a gem. I really enjoyed it. I bought it full price ages ago. Absolutely worth it. I'm pretty sure I was a demo conversion as well.

I'm glad to hear some of the more niche titles on steam are getting some love. I should do my discovery queue more often. Doing it three times a day for the winter sale led to adding at least 10 games to my wishlist and one purchase even if majority in the queue were not my speed.

Ludens

Banned
So, I was playing RE0, on Hard, without healing (using a guide, anyway), trying to do the best I could. Billy was "ok" status, Rebecca was "danger". Ok, I defeated the second boss with no trouble using Billy, than I entered a room and two stupid insects attacked me.
Rebecca died because the game decides to put her shotgun off without saying nothing, so I need to do one hour of the game just because of this.

Jawmuncher

So, I was playing RE0, on Hard, without healing (using a guide, anyway), trying to do the best I could. Billy was "ok" status, Rebecca was "danger". Ok, I defeated the second boss with no trouble using Billy, than I entered a room and two stupid insects attacked me.
Rebecca died because the game decides to put her shotgun off without saying nothing, so I need to do one hour of the game just because of this.

Should have gotten a baby playthrough first before achievement hunting. Especially what's probably the hardest achievement.

c7jWBQT.png

Surprised I managed to abstain TIS long.
Boo this man!
Came across this interesting blog post on reddit. It's from the developer of Defender's Quest which has been out for 4 years now. In it he talks about how the game continues to sell reasonably well even after so much time. He acknowledges that the game never became an indie darling like FTL or Hotline Miami. It never got wide press coverage or Youtuber attention or anything of the sort. He then wonders why the game continues to sell well enough and comes up with a few reasons. He attributes it to luck (since the game launched in 2012 when the indie scene was very different), high conversion of demo players to customers and the Steam discovery update.

I found that last part pretty interesting. Here's what he says about it

I personally didn't like the discovery update and even use ES to disable it's functionality when browsing the site but it's good to know that it actually does function the way it's meant to.

Check out the post if you're interested in his thoughts. There's a lot of data to back up his reasoning and he's full of humility for the success he has had. It's a good read.
Pretty interesting.

Ludens

Banned
Should have gotten a baby playthrough first before achievement hunting. Especially what's probably the hardest achievement.

Eh, I'm not really trying to obtain all achievements, it was something like "let's try how good I can do", in fact at least I saved (ONCE, I only saved once until now, at least I died in the mansion so I don't need to do again the train section), what hurted me is the fact I died because the game unequiped the shotgun to Rebecca.

Dr Dogg

On a game I've never played before, regardless if it's story, combat or puzzle based, first time through I never play on the hardest difficulty (except those that have locked harder difficulties) and never, ever use a guide of somesort for anything.

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Deer -- MB-00FE13899226CA8A - Taken by Nabae. 1 entrants total.

t1453297722z1.png

Deques

I have to stop buying bundles...or even games now with CAD $1 = $0.66 USD

My solution to this is to skip buying whole bundles and try to find someone that sells particular games I am only interested in. That way I don't get too many crap games and it's cheaper, but it takes time

For all +1 collectors, screw you if you don't like what I do!

Arthea

On a game I've never played before, regardless if it's story, combat or puzzle based, first time through I never play on the hardest difficulty (except those that have locked harder difficulties) and never, ever use a guide of somesort for anything.

old school gamers unite!
the same, using a guide for the first run totally ruins a game, what's the point even playing if you already know everything or most of it

Anteater

Prinny Items for TF2

Prinnies Petition to Enlist in Team Fortress 2!

Ever wondered how Prinny would look combined with Team Fortress 2? Well, look no further as we just added four Prinny models in Team Fortress 2 to our Steam Workshop!

With enough votes, we can finally bring the Netherworld to your demolition needs! Head on over to NISA’s Steam Workshop page, click on any of the four Prinny models shown, and vote by clicking on the "Yes" button today! Make sure to share the pages and tell your friends to vote too, dood!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Ehy Dusk, Wesker Mode has cutscenes and a proper story?

It's just campaign again but with Wesker as far as I'm aware.

Pretty sure cutscenes still have Billy and regular Becca

It's just the main game (though I'm not sure at what difficulty since the enemies seem to do more damage than even hard difficulty, but bullets seem about the same/less than hard in places). The cutscenes from the main game still happen, but Rebecca is in her evil suit, and Billy is replaced with Wesker. The scenes are the same otherwise.

c39a307809409c5e8bfa239b94a93272.png
3b5a5a84b1d63e61eab18bf84ae58b65.png

Yo shackles, my man, about what I PMed you regarding the Steamgaf goty list thing :X

"And then I had an epiphany:
Complete
Global
Saturation"

I wish Wesker had his voice in cutscenes (though he does in gameplay). XD;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom