• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got some extras.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Nostradamus -- MB-2890E5385F27BCF9 - Taken by AtomskEater. 1 entrants total.
Amerzone -- MB-83947A7D42CA4765 - Taken by AtomskEater. 1 entrants total.

t1453353961z1.png

tuxfool

Banned
Shader 3 looks amazing in the close-up, but it loses a lot of fidelity once the camera is pulled back. Shader 1, the most flat of the three, manages better in the action camera view. Still, love the way the style is coming together!

The problem with 1 is that it looks like plastic. With 3 they just need to tweak their LODs in the shader (or alternatively just run at a higher resolution).

user237

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Death Rally (Classic) -- MB-75066B881648CC21 - Taken by GUN-NAC - Taken by Shadownet. 1 entrants total.
The Oil Blue: Steam Legacy Edition -- MB-FF66E52175199D94 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 2 entrants total.
Desert Ashes -- MB-5F09154C9B0F670F - Taken by Kuroyume. 3 entrants total.

t1453344901z1.png

enter for more than one

FLD

Finally got around to sending my votes.

(5 Points) - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
(4 Points) - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
(3 Points) - Resident Evil HD Remaster
(2 Points) - Life is Strange
(1 Point) - Axiom Verge

I skipped a lot of the major releases this year, so it wasn't too difficult to narrow it down to just five. Gameplay alone was almost enough to give number 1 to MGSV but I just can't look past... well, everything else.

Oh, fuck! I just realized I totally should've put Infinifactory on there. I only started playing in the last couple weeks, so I didn't think to add it when I made the list of all the 2015 releases I played. Damn it... :(

Some impressions for Brink of Consciousness: The Lonely Hearts Murders:

The story: The setting is Victorian England. You play Owen Wright, who...well it's not actually explained what he does? But his daughter Olivia was kidnapped by a serial killer called the Lonely Hearts Killer who kidnaps victims with broken hearts, then kills them 30 days later and displays them publically like a stage prop with a lotus flower calling card. Whether Owen Wright is some kind of Holmes-esque consulting detective who's working with the cops, or he's just a concerned father thrust into the role, is unclear. The story unfolds as the days pass, and they throw out red herrings here and there. It's well told, a fun ride and better than most HOGs, but I'm sure if I was paying more attention I'd find plot holes. It's mostly realistic with a touch of steampunk, and they add a callback to the first game with an MO that we're never sure is technological or mystical or what the fuck.

The puzzles: Some of the minigames are more challenging than others. I skipped one visual puzzle where you had to rearrange a picture of 18 tiles by swapping adjacent ones along various tracks. I know I could have got it eventually, but it just took so damn long to get halfway that I said "fuck it." Overall, however, the minigames are great. The hidden object scenes are pretty few (but it's the one thing preventing them from going full point-and-click adventure, I suppose, so they HAVE to add some) and they're, once again, above average. Decent hiding, playing around with graphics (the stockings are actually see-through, for example) so no complaints there...but the inventory puzzles are another matter.

Where you find stuff makes no sense whatsoever. My home has a missing item, which I find in the police station's safe. I use that item in my house, and find a missing item for someone ELSE'S house. Why did the cops have my stuff? Why do I have theirs? For a while, I thought the detective was the killer and he was planting shit everywhere, but nope, it's never explained. The inventory puzzles are still fun, but be ready to suspend a shit ton of disbelief.

The dialogue and voices: Probably the best I've seen in an HOG, and good for a game period. The devs' previous game, Dorian Gray Syndrome, was just as good in this regard. MagicIndie got their shit together on this point at least. My favourite voice is Jayden the stereotypical bumbling rookie, who gets a nice exchange with the detective in the bonus chapter about why he's not fired yet. THAT, they could explain. Why your house contains a puzzle piece, they can't. If I could find one thing to improve though, I would have liked to see the dialogue contain the names of the characters instead of just their pictures. Some of them look rather similar and I forgot who was who at times.

The graphics: Environments look great, hidden object scenes great...basically everything that doesn't move looks great. But they gotta work on their people and animations. The staged corpses looked more lifelike than the living people!

The length: 4.1 hours, including bonus chapter, not including one skipped puzzle, including all watched cutscenes. So about average for an HOG.

The verdict: It's a little rough in parts, but it's absolutely playable. Solve the puzzles and watch the cutscenes, don't think too much about why something is where it is, and enjoy the ride. Also, if for whatever reason you have both this game and Dorian Gray Syndrome in your library, play this one first even though it came out later - it's more of a prequel.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Bayonetta, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Bayonetta, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

A Boy and His Blob #2 -- MB-3E21A091D0B2F14C - Taken by Henry Swanson. 16 entrants total.
A Boy and His Blob -- MB-9D56AE29334FA5D3 - Taken by Kurt Russell. 16 entrants total.

t1453348861z1.png

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I got this from here so that you don't have to.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (thesaucetastic, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Cult of the Wind -- MB-1E5FFEE7DA1C3EC1 - Taken by TheMadMan007

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Children don't die they get lost? Im not saying "oh man kids need to die" but it seems a odd way to handle it.

kids can't die, that would be TABOO

From what I understand, killable children or dying children tends to bump up the ESRP rating. Which would make it weird that it's an issue since This War of Mine seems to already be rated Mature and Pegi 18. I wonder if they were worried it would bump the rating up, or if it would have required the game to be re-rated?

If you want a funny case of this popping up in an odd place and what made me think of this, check out Terraria and the Angler NPC:

While most NPCs die via the usual death animation, the Angler simply vanishes in a puff of smoke. He also has a unique death message, instead of "<Angler name> was slain..." it says "<Angler name> has left!" This is most likely due to rating concerns, as depictions of children being killed tend to result in an Adults Only rating from the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB), which would have drastically limited the game's distribution.

I want capcom to announce a Dino Crisis port to PC and then cancel it a week or so before it releases just to see what Jaw would do. It would be pure gold

Jawmuncher

From what I understand, killable children or dying children tends to bump up the ESRP rating. Which would make it weird that it's an issue since This War of Mine seems to already be rated Mature and Pegi 18. I wonder if they were worried it would bump the rating up, or if it would have required the game to be re-rated?

If you want a funny case of this popping up in an odd place and what made me think of this, check out Terraria and the Angler NPC:
That's pretty interesting in the case of Terraria.

I want capcom to announce a Dino Crisis port to PC and then cancel it a week or so before it releases just to see what Jaw would do. It would be pure gold

I'd be coming for you first.

Teggy

Wheeeeeeeeee Dragons Dogma! I was hanging off a Gryphon's tail in midair so it couldn't fly away. There's stuff in this game, the pawn system number 1, that I can't believe hasn't been incorporated into other games. Who wouldn't want to climb on top of any enemy in the game?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
KrtdLef.png

This is a reminder that there are only 20 hours left to vote in the 3rd annual SteamGAF GOTY awards.
t1453420800z4.png

I currently have votes for 133 users:
Dsyndrome, The Dear Leader, Henry Swanson, Dio Brando, Stallion Free, Corpekata, Monooboe, ricochetguro, Lain, Kurt Russell, Raxanas, Jawmuncher, AHA-Lambda, dirtywhirlwind, Baron von Loathsome, pahamrick, Tektonic, Turfster, Anteater, spindoctor, texhnolyze, Uraizen, tuxfool, Smash88, TetraxShards, MMBosstones86, Sch1sm, Shantom, Khronico, Stumpokapow, jshackles, Locust, SilentMatthew, Vlad, septicore, Nete, Stronghammer22, yuraya, KingKong, Shadownet, Knurek, Se7enSword, Leafhopper, Iron Badger, Jadax, def ault, Wok, Copons, Maxwood, Messiah, Phinor, cyba89, Large Professor, The_Super_Inframan, ussjtrunks, ctw0e, Haunted, Tizoc, shortsFortallPeople, Dragon1893, Hektor, Atraveller, Chairmanchuck, the_firewithin, fantomena, Rockin' Ranger, Man Puncher, Ludens, Backlogger, Ruruja, PandaPedinte, Black Soma, KenOD, neoemonk, Teggy, thesaucetastic, laserlaser, arbok26, Parsnip, BinaryPort2737, Shalashaska, Adry9, YianGaruga, Baron_Calamity, Gintoki, Amzin, QFNS, Chariot, Kyougar, AsfaeksBR, dot, garath, WinterDemons, zkylon, Kriken, The Red Wizard, Htown, Roboleon, Ozium, Oreoleo, Arthea, spinalscratch, NightmareTrigger, NingenJanai, Yakkue, milena87, Zeknurn, ScreamingTrees, Uzzy, CecilRousso, DillonMabry, electroflame, Widdly Scuds, bigzgod, Japle, TheLetdown, Nillansan, William Bonney, Durante, BernardoOne, fernandes, vermadas, Lomax, gurm3n, Nabs, brau, FiveElementNinja, EmergentFocus, Terra_Ex, Eila, maty, Jazz573, FLD

My "post enough to bug people filter" has been turned off. The time to vote is now. Winners will be revealed 3 hours after voting closes (7PM PST) right here in the Steam thread. Thanks everyone!

Ventara

Here's a giveaway so I qualify for Bayo's giveaway. Darn you for making me actually give back!

ModBot said:
Instructions for Ventara:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ventara, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Lumino City -- MB-F9F6FDE679D65C34 - Taken by iosefe

Someone please take it.

bbd23

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bbd23, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Tomb Raider -- MB-4AFE6EA2695DC28B - Taken by fertygo. 6 entrants total.

t1453348321z1.png

first time!

Ventara

you're lucky i have a thing for charming puzzle games

i should finish more tho. the Swapper is high on that backlog

Oh, that's a good game. The theme behind it kinda creeped me out, though. You should definitely get on it.

And what's with your avatar? Did you finally go through evolution? And why does Bayonetta have some dude as an avatar. I don't even recognize you guys anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom