• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

So, Trails SC.

Done with the Prologue chapter (4 hours, since this is Trails game we're talking about, everything takes long here).

I really wish this was available at most half a year after the first game. I don't remember most of the things from FC playthrough, just some characters here and there, and the game seems to require intimate knowledge of 1st part plot to get most out of it.

Pity.

Also pity most of chest messages seem to repeat. Did not happen in the first game. Unless it's a bug of some sorts, because the game seems to be creaking at seams whatever you're trying to do.

Cutscenes still take a long, long time. Such a pity we're never getting the Evolution content backported - voice acting would add a lot to them.

Pity.

MUnited83

For you.
More on the DX12 improvements on emulators

231531_2545907250.png

231532_2545907250.png

Vulkan can't get here soon enough. Let me get on that goodnesssss

Anteater

The context is that your suit has a onboard computer tracking objectives Isaac has placed. So when he brings out the tracker it leads him to where he needs to go.

all those upgrading and stuff tho

what am I supposed to upgraaade

edit: ok fine I don't remember and I'll just try to keep going

you guys are overestimating me

I don't even remember the buttons!

(and I told you guys Bloodborne was winning, ez souls ez life)

Not a hard prediction to make. Here's this year

1. UC4
Zelda (if it comes out this year)
DS3
Persona 5
Andromeda (if it comes out this year)
Deus Ex
Overwatch
Dishonored 2 (if it comes out this year)
Doom (have a feeling it might be this year's Wolfenstein)
SFV
No Man's Sky
TLG
FF XV
Horizon (if it comes out this year)
Firewatch
TitanFall 2 (if it comes out this year. I think it does? I know BF5 is, it might be weird for EA to launch both in the same window, but I think they confirmed it at a recent conference call)

That feeling in Dragon's Dogma when I realize that I was carrying like 40lbs of curative items, and dump a lot of them in my item storage. Going from heavy to light:

You think that's bad, I had to carry a full ton of conductors from the Mojave Wasteland to a vendor because I converted all my standard missiles into high-explosive variants, which added 800 pounds of useless junk into my inventory. Not to mention the extra 50 pounds of random crap I got at the end of the Lonesome Road DLC.

I actually made it a point not to fast-travel back to the entrance to the Divide and offload my gear, as I felt that was defeating the purpose of collecting everything.

NV's inventory system is fucked. I can carry hundreds of stimpaks and drugs without a problem, but the moment I get anything heavier than a small battery, the weight goes through the roof.

So, Trails SC.

Done with the Prologue chapter (4 hours, since this is Trails game we're talking about, everything takes long here).

I really wish this was available at most half a year after the first game. I don't remember most of the things from FC playthrough, just some characters here and there, and the game seems to require intimate knowledge of 1st part plot to get most out of it.

Pity.

Also pity most of chest messages seem to repeat. Did not happen in the first game. Unless it's a bug of some sorts, because the game seems to be creaking at seams whatever you're trying to do.

Cutscenes still take a long, long time. Such a pity we're never getting the Evolution content backported - voice acting would add a lot to them.

Pity.
What a dramatic post.

I played FC back when it was released for the PSP, and i had no issue with understanding the plot or anything at all when I played SC. I forgot some stuff, but I easily recalled them, or SC helped fill in some info.

Yeah, the chest message thing isn't exactly fixed. Hatsuu had been too busy with Cold Steel at that time. The PSP version has it correct and they were going to patch it for PC but idk what happened to it.

Only cutscene there is is in the OP and well near the end of the game. It didn't take long too, was perfectly fine. I'm not sure what you're issue is since it's quite vague.

EVO will never come. Chara-ani/Kadokawa hasn't made it easy for XSEED to negotiate terms with them.

zkylon

zkylewd
No that was a hentai
i mean

what is hentai, really

So, Trails SC.

Pity.

Pity.

summary is estelle wants to bone her brother but its ok cos tits has its mind made up on the nature or nurture thing and then mr blonde guy olivier shows up and makes the game good

rtcn63

all those upgrading and stuff tho

what am I supposed to upgraaade

edit: ok fine I don't remember and I'll just try to keep going

you guys are overestimating me

I don't even remember the buttons!

Plasma cutter is ally you really need, and even then, focus on damage. I think there's a charge/slow-time weapon later that's fun to use. Oh and always use those core thingies on the doors, since there's usually a spare inside. Or save beforehand on the rare case it's shit loot.

- I still don't understand what the fuck Ulysses was talking about in his monologues. Apparently, I delivered a package that set off nuclear devices below the Divide... but apparently I didn't, and he wants to finish the job but pussies out at the last minute and I have to clean up his mess

well from what I remember its basically he used to belong to a tribe where everyone had dreads. I don't remember their name but for simplicity lets call em Team Dreads. Anyway Ceasers Legion allowed Team Dreads to ally with them and like every other tribe that has worked with Ceaser after they were of no use Ceaser enslaved them. Ulysses was one of the best men in Team Dreads and also a very good soldier to the Legion. He was stationed at what is now known as The Divide for reason I don't remember and basically held shit down over there, Ceaser told Ulysses that couriers may come and go as they please because they were with the legion (which you are not in the beginning).

So eventually you, the player delivered a package to the Divide that was actually from the NCR. After you left the package started to "talk" and activated underground war heads which leaves us with what we now know as The Divide. Ulysses, the sole survivor was saved by a bunch of eye bots that had the flag of the old world on them which leads to his obsession to it. He also became obsessed how one man has the power to completely change history (like you did when you completely erased and killed everyone in what is now The Divide even if you had no idea what you did).

Basically he began traveling around for knowledge of the Old World and learned from the think tanks in Old World Blues that there are actually still silos at The Divide. He then gets the idea to wipe away all factions from New Vegas for 2 reasons; to erase your home like you did to him, and basically hitting the reset button for NV because he thinks all 3 major faction in the game are wrong, and basically wants to bring back the laws of the Old World.)

If I remember the reason you see the graffiti "go home, courier" all around the wasteland is not because The Divide is actually where your player is from, its because Ulysses believes that "home" is the place you have the biggest impact on or some shit like that.

Heres a fun fact, he was originally planned to be a companion for the game and would basically play devil's advict on all the choices you made. So if in one quest you'd decide to help the NCR instead of the Legion he'd side with the Legion or vice versa.

I really liked Ulysses, I found him to be very fascinating. Easily my favorite character in the FO universe

Soulflarz

Banned
24h so I don't have to remember to do one tomorrow.

It didn't insert images for Dragon's Dogma and TIS-100. What did I do wrong Stump?!?

This is very generous of you :3

*enters for DD:DA*

also i need to stop just posting keys in here in quote tags, unless someone can confirm for me that I wont get on the blocklist for theoretically taking a ton of games and never 'giving back' (because I always do it through...well...non modbot >_>)

impact

Banned
Not a hard prediction to make. Here's this year

1. UC4
Zelda (if it comes out this year)
DS3
Persona 5
Andromeda (if it comes out this year)
Deus Ex
Overwatch
Dishonored 2 (if it comes out this year)
Doom (have a feeling it might be this year's Wolfenstein)
SFV
No Man's Sky
TLG
FF XV
Horizon (if it comes out this year)
Firewatch
TitanFall 2 (if it comes out this year. I think it does? I know BF5 is, it might be weird for EA to launch both in the same window, but I think they confirmed it at a recent conference call)

I really doubt Doom or Overwatch will make top 20. They look really bad.

Eila

Even after delays game took over about the same to be released in Japan as it did on here (if you played FC on PC anyway). If you played it on PSP I agree.

I was under the impression that these would be added after release, but by now I think I had it wrong :/ although a few chests do have different text messages. Generally ones with important items.
Do mind that there are a lot more chests in this game.

I would have loved a fast forward button more myself. I remember reading somewhere that those could be done with cheat engine, but I have never tried myself.
And they couldn't use any of the original voice acting, let alone the new one done by a third party.

Wok

from RotTR thread...

What is this blur on the hair shadow? It seems out of place.

tPB0TLH.png

What is this bulge around the bottom lips?

yTKb8wr.png

Upper lips look okay, although I can see a thick transition between lips and skin.

zTo1X8M.png

Eyes look like plastic. It might be due to the light reflection.

9Y6PpWa.png

Nose skin looks very detailed and realistic. Gimme back plastic Lara!

Y6lwzvJ.png

Clothes look really polygonal. With low-resolution texture.

rifXDc2.png
OCAbjjB.png

Kriken

I gotta say, that infinite sprint/increase carry load mod is a godsend. The stamina drain for sprint just feels too much for the world you have to explore. Also load burden was something that really dampered my feelings towards Demon's Souls

RCPS3 emulator playing Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations near full-speed.

The progress with this emulator is crazy, and DX12 is proving to be a lot of help for all the new emulators currently in development. I feel fairly tempted to upgrade to Windows 10 alone because of that, although I hope once Vulkan is out I won't need to.

Really impressive, the PS4/XB1 emulators will be a pain though

I really doubt Doom or Overwatch will make top 20. They look really bad.

Out of all the upcoming MP PvP games Overwatch has the most hype behind it, and not just on GAF. It's a Blizzard game, it's going to be a success, even if it ends up being mediocre, however everyone is super positive about it after the beta. It's probably going to be the MP game of this year. As for Doom, it's just a feeling for now, even if I'm not feeling what I've seen so far lol. There has to be a positive surprise, an underdog, right now can't think of anything else.

gelf

More on the DX12 improvements on emulators

231531_2545907250.png

231532_2545907250.png

Vulkan can't get here soon enough. Let me get on that goodnesssss

Someone please tell me this applies or will apply to PCSX2 as well. My poor CPU struggled with that emulator more then any modern game I've played so far.

Knurek

Only cutscene there is is in the OP and well near the end of the game. It didn't take long too, was perfectly fine. I'm not sure what you're issue is since it's quite vague.

I'm not talking about movie cutscenes, I'm talking about cutscene cutscenes. Aka the parts where you don't control characters, just read what they are saying.

As for fast forward button, I'd much rather have one for the battles. They do take quite a while, what with all the character moving, attack animations, etc. Pure padding.

MUnited83

For you.
I gotta say, that infinite sprint/increase carry load mod is a godsend. The stamina drain for sprint just feels too much for the world you have to explore. Also load burden was something that really dampered my feelings towards Demon's Souls

Really impressive, the PS4/XB1 emulators will be a pain though

I mean, if people can make a PS3 emulator run like it does at this point despite the crazy ass Cell architecture, it seems like figuring out emulation of x86 systems will work out fine, even if it will need a very beefy computer to pull it off.

Someone please tell me this applies or will apply to PCSX2 as well. My poor CPU struggled with that emulator more then any modern game I've played so far.
I don't think i've heard of concrete plans just yet but I assume someone will work out a DX12/Vulkan plugin for it soon enough.

Jawmuncher

I mean, if people can make a PS3 emulator run like it does at this point despite the crazy ass Cell architecture, it seems like figuring out emulation of x86 systems will work out fine, even if it will need a very beefy computer to pull it off.

They haven't figured out OG Xbox though.

I'm not talking about movie cutscenes, I'm talking about cutscene cutscenes. Aka the parts where you don't control characters, just read what they are saying.

As for fast forward button, I'd much rather have one for the battles. They do take quite a while, what with all the character moving, attack animations, etc. Pure padding.
Fair enough. At least the Cold Steel games come with the fast skip button. EVO versions all have it too :V

Dunno if the Crossbell games have them or not.

I really liked Ulysses, I found him to be very fascinating. Easily my favorite character in the FO universe

Oh, I know all about his original inclusion before being chopped out of the main game. I found him to be pedantic, repetitive, annoying and misguided. By the time I got to the final area, I was skipping through his dialogues. His mindset also rings hollow to me because I'm going for the independent ending.

Considering how much setup there was in the previous DLCs and foreshadowing, the end result was underwhelming. I thought I was an outlier in terms of opinion until I read a bunch of critic reviews and realized they all said the same thing.

If I have to go to a wiki to understand the motivations of a character (and not even a well-written one at that), it's not worth my time to worry about, and this is coming from someone who's already invested 70 hours into the game.

Anteater

are we talking about Secret of the Magic Crystals

that game is the shit

make sure you get the run dlc, i haven't tried it but you get to use your ponies in a race

MRORANGE

I have a bunch of those screens, and while I can power them at lower voltages fine, 5V didn't quite work reliably. I'd have to check if any of the boards match what people have successfully modded.

I do have a bunch of 8" screens which can be powered by 5V (similar to the PiCade), but I'd love to get my hands on 4:3 5" screens at a decent price.

I think Puimroni do a 12" 4:3 ratio for £90, pretty sure it's a laptop lcd that's had a new driver-board for 12v

how is the refresh rate on that little screen? is there much ghosting?

I noticed some screens look like they are 16:9 but in 640x480, either it's stretching it or the sides of the screen are blank/fake

It should output to 320x240, refresh is pretty good from the YT videos I saw of it, still waiting for mine however :|

On the plus side I have made the enclosure of what it might look like:

only if you pay for their coming ps now+ subscription plan coming up in the second half of 2016
No deal
Oh, I know all about his original inclusion before being chopped out of the main game. I found him to be pedantic, repetitive, annoying and misguided. By the time I got to the final area, I was skipping through his dialogues. His mindset also rings hollow to me because I'm going for the independent ending.

Considering how much setup there was in the previous DLCs and foreshadowing, the end result was underwhelming. I thought I was an outlier in terms of opinion until I read a bunch of critic reviews and realized they all said the same thing.

If I have to go to a wiki to understand the motivations of a character (and not even a well-written one at that), it's not worth my time to worry about, and this is coming from someone who's already invested 70 hours into the game.
I do agree that overall the payoff was pretty underwhelming but as a character he is very entertaining, i like his really flawed way of thinking

Kriken

Yeah, I think I meant more this than a pain to make the emulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom