• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backlogger

Diablo 3 has become a great one of those games. I think that so many people were scared off by the initial impression, but the game after Reaper of Souls and the constant updates has really become a great game.

I picked up the PS4 version and am actually enjoying it even more.

Arthea

I couldn't find out for sure what the PS3 one is either. Some links said Luminous engine but that doesn't seem correct. I figure any Steam version will be ported from the PS4 version.

I vaguely remember that it is some internal SE engine (maybe even Luminous), but I always assumed that PS4 version uses the same one. It's just a port of PS3 HD version. That's why I'm asking why do you think it's another version.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So unfortunately for us SteamGAF, I think that non-daily deal sales are here to stay. Valve published to developers a list of statistics of sale stuff of 2015 and specifically the Winter Sale.

Compared to previous Winter Sales, the sales during this Winter Sale were marginally much, much higher than previous years, even taking into account the number of new users on Steam. Plus other statistics. I can't give examples, but it looks like that style of sale is here to stay.

I vaguely remember that it is some internal SE engine (maybe even Luminous), but I always assumed that PS4 version uses the same one. It's just a port of PS3 HD version. That's why I'm asking why do you think it's another version.

I don't necessarily think that I was just accounting for the possibility. An internal engine seems the like the safe bet. Thanks.

Grief.exe

Oh dear... So unfortunately for us SteamGAF, I think that non-daily deal sales are here to stay. Valve published to developers a list of statistics of sale stuff of 2015 and specifically the Winter Sale.

Compared to previous Winter Sales, the sales during this Winter Sale were marginally much, much higher than previous years, even taking into account the number of new users on Steam. Plus other statistics. I can't give examples, but it looks like that style of sale is here to stay.

The arguments to go back to daily deals tend to be emotionally based rather than legitimate arguments. The biggest issue is consumer engagement, which is purely on Valve to provide, otherwise the new system is a net positive for consumers.

Oh dear... So unfortunately for us SteamGAF, I think that non-daily deal sales are here to stay. Valve published to developers a list of statistics of sale stuff of 2015 and specifically the Winter Sale.

actual sales were up or money? becuase when things werent discounted as much of course some money will be higher.

Arthea

So unfortunately for us SteamGAF, I think that non-daily deal sales are here to stay. Valve published to developers a list of statistics of sale stuff of 2015 and specifically the Winter Sale.

I wasn't expecting sales to be higher in this format, but I'm OK with it, it helps to save me money and time too.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The arguments to go back to daily deals tend to be emotionally based rather than legitimate arguments. The biggest issue is consumer engagement, which is purely on Valve to provide, otherwise the new system is a net positive for consumers.

It's all fair, I am not -too- bothered, but it does take some excitement, but whatever the case, I do think it overall benefits... Though be nice if some other twist I think outside of daily deals to keep things interesting.

actual sales were up or money? becuase when things werent discounted as much of course some money will be higher.

I can't say specifically, Valve doesn't like people talking about specifics or leaking this information or anything (business and all that), but I'm sure if you did SteamSpy stuff you could figure the general outline of some of this anyway, but know that basically everything was higher with various comparisons by a considerably large margin.

Monooboe

I bought a lot less this sale than any other sale. I only bought four games this time and all of them were quite expensive. So they might have gotten my money but I still bought less.

yuraya

RIP

Valve still has to do something else next time. It was so boring with just the discovery queue stuff.

Endruen

Was this officially announced? Guess I missed it

header.jpg

Wow, I didn't know, awesome news. I have it for my PS Vita and I beat it recently. It's a very good game with nice visuals.

It kind of worries me this will impact the overall level of discounts offered outside of the big sales. People kept buying games even though the discounts were less interesting.

Dsyndrome

Fucking damn it.
I bought a lot less this sale than any other sale. I only bought four games this time and all of them were quite expensive. So they might have gotten my money but I still bought less.
Looks like they reached out to the 80%, or whatever that percentage was that most of us aren't part of.

Jawmuncher

I kind of worries me this will impact the overall level of discounts offered outside of the big sales. People kept buying games even though the discounts were less interesting.

The average consumer probably didn't even know things had changed. Since the page would still change every day.

Did they pull the Dirt Rally codes or what? I got my account registered and entered the code and it just made me to fill an support coupon for whatever reason

Is there ever a point in Clicker Heroes where it becomes more worth it to get Gilded Heroes rather than Quick Ascensions with rubies? The number of souls from 50 rubies now seems small for some reason.

If your mercs get high enough, the Souls from them outweigh everything. I've had 11mil Souls after receiving all my quests once.

I think I am one of the only SteamGAFers to carry the torch for Borderlands 2.

My burden is great.

I got 80 hours in it. Had a blast.

septicore

ModBot said:
Instructions for septicore:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (septicore, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

GabeN: The Final Decision -- MB-A4353988CECCC900 - Taken by rainking187

I didn't realise I owned this already, so I'm just gonna giveaway this key.

Also you can get more keys from https://gleam.io/u7sSj/gaban

Also free keys for Indie Game Bundle at https://gleam.io/u7sSj/gaban

Backlogger

Same here, I spent much much less during the Fall and Winter sales than in previous years.

I spent a lot less time on the store so I actually missed deals that I might have jumped on, such as the Tomb Raider collection for $12. Oh well. Doesn't seem like my drop in engagement during sales impacted them so whatever.

gurm3n

Neo Member

I actually liked the sale format. I was able to compare prices with other sites like Nuuvem and take enough time to make the most optimal purchase between both sites, without worrying about not getting a game because of some daily deal or because I ran out of game money mid way through the sale. There's one thing I don't know, though, and it's that maybe daily deals had better discounts, so thats another bunch of possibilities.

It kind of worries me this will impact the overall level of discounts offered outside of the big sales. People kept buying games even though the discounts were less interesting.

It also calls into question that discount vs. sales figure we used to see that showed the deeper the discount, the more sales it made by a greater proportion.

The discounts are still amazing compared to other storefronts, aside from black market keys. GOG--probably the closest competitor as far as sales are concerned--has best deals which are "mystery boxes" where you're gambling for a random game (that you don't own on GOG...). And Origin ...their 33-50% off discounts seem incredibly tame in comparison.

It is weird, though. Compared to other sales, I found myself buying a few things right near the end just because it was on sale, I wanted it, and it was the holidays. If I had missed them as dailies, I would've skipped the purchases entirely.

Atlus and ACE Team's next B- movie venture, The Deadly Tower of Monsters, will launch with a 33% discount off for PS Plus members and for Steam, according to the latest Atlus E-mail newsletter.

Vibranium

Banned

Hmm, I just hope we get higher discounts next time, especially from indie/smaller developers. Oh well. I can still look outside Steam and wait for prices to drop.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I liked this sale more than I've liked sales for years.
No waiting for a game to go on sale and then it never does, just everything on the first day.

jdw_b

Did they pull the Dirt Rally codes or what? I got my account registered and entered the code and it just made me to fill an support coupon for whatever reason

This is what I'm getting too

And I can't really provide the receipt they're after so i'm pretty much screwed

tmarg

It also calls into question that discount vs. sales figure we used to see that showed the deeper the discount, the more sales it made by a greater proportion.

Those were always for individual games, not the platform as a whole, and generally from before discounts got way out of control.

For the past few years, even massive discounts wouldn't necessarily result in a lot of attention, they were just expected.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think the discounts in this sale were pretty good

we've been through this a lot, we each have six billion games so whatever we want to be on a steep discount is probably unrealistic

in the end no dailies is good for the ecosystem and gives people more freedom to just buy shit whenever they want

the more i think about it the less i mind they haven't even done an event or anything. they had their fun comic and cards, i think that's enough.

Copons

As far as the dailies go, I was vocal in their support, mostly for the added fun involved here, the constant wait for the dailies thing, the overall madness and whatnot.

Turned out, games-wise for me the sale was great and I definitely appreciated the slower pace of the sales and even more importantly of this thread.

I miss the dailies as a fun and crazy thing, of course. But it was totally fine anyway, and good for the devs that are earning more money.

they had their fun comic and cards, i think that's enough.

Well, now, come on.
This time their attempt of engaging the users was at best half assed.
Last summer we got the clicker game, and even if one hates the clicker genre, he has to admit that it was a great effort on Valve's part.

MUnited83

For you.
Really liked this one, and at this price is a steal. The last chapter does goes a bit overload with all the "oh damn check those references to things you know wow", but before that is was great.

ModBot said:
Instructions for BernardoOne:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (BernardoOne, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Suits: A Business RPG #5 -- MB-5D4A148028E773A4 - Taken by Flandy. 2 entrants total.
Suits: A Business RPG -- MB-35FC4A82CB455A48 - Taken by Ludens. 2 entrants total.
Suits: A Business RPG #4 -- MB-CD9273DBFB2A638E - Taken by ThirtyFour. 3 entrants total.
Suits: A Business RPG #3 -- MB-F9E6B3D17DEB8FB9 - Taken by Large Professor. 7 entrants total.
Suits: A Business RPG #2 -- MB-AA9184A32BF3078F - Taken by Shantom. 1 entrants total.

t1452298367z1.png

tmarg

the more i think about it the less i mind they haven't even done an event or anything. they had their fun comic and cards, i think that's enough.

I could take or leave dailies, but I still wish they had come up with a better event.

Uzzy

Yup. It's quite worrying to see so many cry out for Valve to bring them back, because they want to be pressured into making a purchase, rather than having the time to think about it and not spend money they might not have.

Got 4 of my 5: Mad Max, SR Hong Kong, Tales and Witcher 3. Renowned Explorers might be the 5th, though I can see it becoming a little repetitive after a while.

Jawmuncher

Yup. It's quite worrying to see so many cry out for Valve to bring them back, because they want to be pressured into making a purchase, rather than having the time to think about it and not spend money they might not have.

Nah it's understandable, more than a few titles didn't have discounts comparable to older dailies. But it does make buying easier, even if a bit more boring with no reason to come back.

MUnited83

For you.

Heh, while I'm fine with the new way and it definitely is benefitial in many ways, there is issues. The winter sale was little else than a repeat for the most part of the autumn sale, and there's a significant number of games that do not get decent discounts with this method.

tmarg

Wingamestore has Kerbal Space Program at $16 currently, cheapest it's been since 2013 (two price increases ago).

Welp it happened, bought a lunaniem Tomb Raider code. Noticed they said in the buy sell thread that the codes are redeeming and now my code has mysteriously already been redeemed. Nvidia didn't even send me the fucking e-mail to tell me this shit was back in stock. I'm fuming right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom