• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Don't worry, you're all on the list. ;)

tumblr_ljqju9O5101qj5748o1_500.gif

Forgot to actually say what I went for, did a Witch and Ranger. I like my blood magic! Got the talent that lets you regenerate health by standing in blood before going to bed, is nice if you take some damage. Otherwise it can be hard to use as my witch is usually at a distance and not getting thick in the fray.

Salsa

I was already reconsidering Roderick as warrior, gettin one early push me towards restarting (I just wanted to get a feel for the game first)

im having some performance issues tho, which is a bummer

see here

Hugstable

Banned
Gonna give Divinity some playtime when I wake up in the morning before I continue my Dark Souls Journey. Divinity looks so great, also will be my first game in the franchise.

Monooboe

Oh, hello new Steam thread.

Things are back to normal huh, I'll miss the atmosphere of the sale event. Hope we've attracted some new regulars.

Well I will be a new regular at least, wasn't that active before in the Steam threads, I did wake up during the sale.:D I feel slight emptiness now that the sale is gone.o_O

it should be ilegal to look this manly

Kind of looks like my Rogue.:D I really love how the game looks, both in design and technical.

Pretty steady 60 FPS for me at 2880x1620 luckily
with a 780ti

Do get some drops to 55 which are gross, really looking forward to getting a new monitor when I have some more money. Either going to get the RoG Swift or an Asus 4K, both with gsync.

I'm sure he gave a reason for that statement, right? Right?
Imagine he meant the resolution/garbage screen quality hurts the art style.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm sorry, man. Try and catch or rent it sometime, although the effect will be lessened with age.
i can't

i have like a 200 movie backlog i took from my film class that makes it so that i'm on a very tight movie schedule lol

like i have two notebooks full of movie names, it's awful

but that's the law, i gotta watch a shit ton of weird ass movies or my film class will kill me

Also, if you think Divinity looks pretty, wait until you get a look at Wolfenstein TNO.
well i mean i'm morelike thinking about budget and all of that. like compared to a similar game like wasteland 2 it looks a hell of a lot better

It looks pretty nice graphically and artistically outside of the really dumb female outfits/breast armor which continue to be embarrassing.

And I didn't make a melee character because you can get one in the first town pretty quickly.
i generally don't mind boob armor if it's cool looking. i wouldn't hate the game just on that unless it's like some tera grade shit

Hugstable

Banned
Brad Shoemaker: "Ive been playing Shovel Knight, that game seems pretty awesome"
Jeff Gerstmann: "yeah"
Brad Shoemaker: "what system have you been playing it on?"
Jeff Gerstmann: "Ive been playing it on the PC"
Brad Shoemaker: "yeah Ive been thinking of doing the switch, I dont think the 3DS does that game any favors"

hold that L Salsa

LOL it's an NES styled game, Shovel Knight looks great on everything it's on!

Salsa

Pretty steady 60 FPS for me at 2880x1620 luckily
with a 780ti

Do get some drops to 55 which are gross, really looking forward to getting a new monitor when I have some more money. Either going to get the RoG Swift or an Asus 4K, both with gsync.

im not really getting drops at max settings, it's a solid 60 (1080 on a 680) but every now and then the game just completely locks up for like, a second

dunno if it's cause its on my SSD but ive already read the same issue online

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I have discovered the wonders of 21:9 ratio and full FOV. It is beautiful.

Though I really need to stop being distracted by things and crashing in Strike Vector.

Turfster

i can't
i have like a 200 movie backlog i took from my film class that makes it so that i'm on a very tight movie schedule lol
like i have two notebooks full of movie names, it's awful
but that's the law, i gotta watch a shit ton of weird ass movies or my film class will kill me
Ah.
Well. Maybe someday then.

zkylon said:
well i mean i'm morelike thinking about budget and all of that. like compared to a similar game like wasteland 2 it looks a hell of a lot better
Haven't looked at Wasteland 2 recently, since i'm on a media blackout until I get to pay it myself after seeing the early footage, but I could see that, yes.

Also, Valve really needs to let you organise your screenshots so you can form narratives, and not drop them randomly in your activity feed.

Salsa

I am for the first time in quite a while overwhelmed with games to play, yet in a week won't be able to play any for like a month

my life is hard guys

Guys, I just finished The Fall, an indie adventure game. I wrote a review on Steam, and thought I'd share it with you guys. Apologies in advance if it's not well written.

This is a very intriguing adventure game. As the Ai of a suit whose human occupant is unconscious, you must explore the facility where you crash landed and try to find the medical aid needed to save your pilot.

I think the developers did an excellent job with the lighting in this game. The environment is very dark and lit only by the glow of mainframe monitors, a few service lights, some malfunctioning machinery, and the Dead Space-ish glow of your suit's helmet, and serves to enhance the tense atmosphere well. The puzzles are not too difficult, and many of the solutions were rather 'clever.' I think the voice acting is excellent, especially that of ARID, the AI of the suit whom you are controlling. I thought the plot was very interesting. Much of it explores the idea of Artificial Intelligence and the functions and programming they are bound to. I must admit, everything that happened in the end game was fascinating, though I will avoid spoilers and leave it at that. It did raise a few questions that will be addressed in the future sequels.

The only negative thing I found with this game was the controls. A core mechanic of the game involves using a flashlight mounted on your firearm to examine the environment for clues and puzzle solutions, but sometimes it was difficult/impossible to face left or right. This happened a few times, and I was locked into facing one direction and unable to turn myself around. I was able to resolve this problem by unplugging my mouse and plugging it back in. I hope the devs can address this problem soon. Otherwise, I found the controls to be fine.

Over The MoonGames did an excellent job with this game. It is part one of a planned trilogy, and I look forward to playing the next two games and learning more about the universe The Fall is set in and solving even more clever puzzles.

And here's a screenshot of the game:

ModBot said:
Instructions for PrematureQuiche:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

t1cxE6r.gif
DARK SOULS II -- MB-2A5A8C4583050E2F - Taken by bakeray

t1404204543z1.png

fuck it - that last one was too short. ANYONE CAN ENTER!

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Holy shit wow, PrematureQuiche gifted me DSII

tumblr_m3kwbg2YaH1r6y67yo1_500.gif

I can't thank him enough! What a great surprise to wake up to! ♥

zkylon

zkylewd
Ah.
Well. Maybe someday then.
someday

i sometimes go and watch a movie i owed to my childhood like labyrinth or something

Haven't looked at Wasteland 2 recently, since i'm on a media blackout until I get to pay it myself after seeing the early footage, but I could see that, yes.
well, wasteland looks ok (ui is kinda hideous imo tho) but it looks nowhere near as effortless as divinity.

hope it goes on a good discount by christmas

There was armor in Tera?
i dunno i think i was disappointed at the character creator then got creeped out at all the little girls in sexy outfits and like didn't get out of tutorial area

I am for the first time in quite a while overwhelmed with games to play, yet in a week won't be able to play any for like a month

my life is hard guys

gimme family sharing dood

jblank83

Imagine he meant the resolution/garbage screen quality hurts the art style.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidDAngelo/20140625/219383/Breaking_the_NES_for_Shovel_Knight.php

Shovel Knight's sprites are designed such that they look right on any display, 3DS or 1080p screen. Check out the info in the "Widescreen 16:9 display (or 5:3 on the 3DS)" section. The 3DS is 400x240, matching the "virtualized" 1080p image. Probably lose some lines on the sides, though, given the different W/H ratio.

Hugstable

Banned
Holy shit, PrematureQuiche gifted me DSII

tumblr_m3kwbg2YaH1r6y67yo1_500.gif

I can't thank him enough! What a great surprise to wake up to! ♥

Awesome! I'm gonna be starting up my Dark Souls 2 once I finish 1 and honestly can't wait, especially since I heard DS2 is actually a great PC port. These games are too great enjoy it!

Caerith

i dunno i think i was disappointed at the character creator then got creeped out at all the little girls in sexy outfits and like didn't get out of tutorial area
Yeah, that's what I mean. I saw someone post a picture of their character in full tank gear, which was three tiny pieces of metal magically covering the FCC bits.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidDAngelo/20140625/219383/Breaking_the_NES_for_Shovel_Knight.php

Shovel Knight's sprites are designed such that they look right on any display, 3DS or 1080p screen. Check out the info in the "Widescreen 16:9 display (or 5:3 on the 3DS)" section. The 3DS is 400x240, matching the "virtualized" 1080p image.

Proper aspect ration doesn't change the 3DS screen being horrendous and the insane low res (especially when blown up on the XL)

Great system but the screen really is awful.

Copons

DAFQU 25 pages in 6 hours?

Guys, sales are over, get a grip of yourselves!!

Oh well, at least when I manually update the live thread extension it loads one post instead of 2 new pages, so it should mean things are back to somewhat normal! :)

Also, yay #49 in the overall hall of shame!

Yeah, that's what I mean. I saw someone post a picture of their character in full tank gear, which was three tiny pieces of metal magically covering the FCC bits.

Apart from these issues I really loved the overall artstyle and the world of Tera. Whereas western MMOs tend to be dark and gritty, this felt really "japanese" (though its Korean) in terms of the overall look.

I would say asians are far more imaginative when it comes to these things.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I heard if you pull Quiche's finger, he farts out a Dark Souls 2 key

true story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom