• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mono

Another sale? I hope the rest of the world can join in. When is Canada Day?

Possible Canada Day sale hype train?

ABKYE8O.gif

ALL ABOARD

jblank83

How is The Banner Saga? It looks really cool and the soundtrack is marvelous!

It's a very ok game. The music is lovely, yes. It has beautiful hand drawn art which suffers from almost no animation. The gameplay is... very ok, has a lot of imbalance, some frustrating decisions, is disappointingly simple for a tactical rpg, and a terrible last fight.

Sober

it's probably indie only but since Child of Light was made by Ubisoft Montreal I want it to come back and be like $3 so everyone who bought it during the summer sales feels Ubi-trayed

Bioware.

EA Sports games but those are off the table because LOL who cares about giving PC players sports games (I want a damn NHL PC game from this gen already)

Bunch of Toronto indies, so Rogue Legacy, Critter Crunch, etc.

Other Canadian indies like Klei's stuff - MOTN, Don't Starve, etc.

Most of Ubisoft should be up on board too.

I can't think of any worstwest coast Canadian stuff though.

Vuze

Waking up to a near-30-page Steam Thread... well, have some games. Can't keep up with all the Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 2 greatness, but oh well. Saw the Kinder Surprise pics a few pages back, thought it would be a nice theme :p
Games included:
Skyrim (non legendary), 2x Defy Gravity, They Breathe, Mass Effect, Awesomenauts, Dead Island Epidemic
If you already own the game you win please give it away within SteamGAF. If there should be any problems (I still have that weird non-tradeable note on the gifts but could send them via mail so... not sure what Steam is up to) we'll work it out :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ty7lO4E.jpg
0h87VcD.jpg
TwquOGY.jpg

Kinder-Uberraschung #5 -- MB-4385197AA200948F - Taken by Leila
Kinder-Uberraschung #4 -- MB-4E51D9EA700B8D9B - Taken by Deques
Kinder-Uberraschung #7 -- MB-82FE4689AF93EEBF
Kinder-Uberraschung #6 -- MB-D98E4BC66FB1BBB4 - Taken by Sarcasm
Kinder-Uberraschung #1 -- MB-8409C4A022F46718
Kinder-Uberraschung #3 -- MB-37FB9877230D3B76
Kinder-Uberraschung #2 -- MB-027FB269D5F08F2E - Taken by Catshade

t1404209382z1.png

ModBot said:
Instructions for PrematureQuiche:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

t1cxE6r.gif
DARK SOULS II -- MB-2A5A8C4583050E2F - Taken by bakeray

t1404204543z1.png

Half way!

Mono

Waking up to a near-30-page Steam Thread... well, have some games. Can't keep up with all the Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 2 greatness, but oh well. Saw the Kinder Surprise pics a few pages back, thought it would be a nice theme :p

Games included: Skyrim (non legendary), 2x Defy Gravity, They Breathe, Mass Effect, Awesomenauts, Dead Island Epidemic

If you already own the game you win please give it away within SteamGAF. If there should be any problems (I still have that weird non-tradeable note on the gifts but could send them via mail so... not sure what Steam is up to) we'll work it out :)

Very nice giveaway, thanks!

Now I want a Kinder Surprise.

Salsa

I mean wallet transaction with valve cut is still a bummer

but

way better than dealing with randoms on paypal where it's a "you first" type situation

not like there's no paypal fees either

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
i hope double dragon is canadian

WayForward = America
Abstraction Games = Netherlands
Midnight City = Majesco = America

but

way better than dealing with randoms on paypal where it's a "you first" type situation

Yeah, but 0.5% is much better than (what may be) 5.0%. If you have someone you buy from regularly then there'll likely be no reason to switch. It's a good thing for those new to the trading scene, though.

So if I have ~10 keys I should buy games with them? Or wait and see.

Might as well spend them. If anything their value will only go down as people move away from keys to wallet fund trading.

It won't curb key trading entirely as second-hand keys will still be an (oh-so-slightly) cheaper option.
Not to mention that people aren't going to change their ways just so Valve can take a 5% cut. Sure, this offers a secure direct money option, but people will probably continue to prefer PayPal as their direct money exchange for Steam trading since it is a more versatile payment method.

Although this may become my preferred method of pooling cash for 2 and 4-packs on Steam.

but

Most traders I've seen want you to send it to them as a gift so you pay the fees. That always sounded really shady to me.
How come we haven't been pushed off to the Community side?
Why would we be?

maneil99

but

400 trades and yet to be scammed, no reason not to go first. This doesn't even look like steam wallet trading more giving steam wallet, no indication it will be in the trade window.

zkylon

zkylewd
iQERe0aae74iz.gif

Games included: Skyrim (non legendary), 2x Defy Gravity, They Breathe, Mass Effect, Awesomenauts, Dead Island Epidemic

lol that's amazing

Kanokare

Y'all crazy with these huge giveaways :p Whomever wins that DSII better enjoy! Winning Skyrim Legendary during the sale is more than enough for me.

Salsa

This doesn't even look like steam wallet trading more giving steam wallet, no indication it will be in the trade window.

that's true but you'd imagine it's not just a "hey here have this" system

people are succesfully circumventing sending each other money by buying keys. Valve can cut the middle man and keep the fees for themselves

it's a win-win for everyone

maneil99

people are succesfully circumventing sending each other money by buying keys. Valve can cut the middle man and keep the fees for themselves

Paypal takes less then 5%, plus I hate valve.

I was under the impression that Valve still got a cut of each key that is bought.

Salsa

also yeah, the fact that maneil99 hasnt been scammed certainly doesnt guarantee a statement like "no reason not to go first". There's plenty of people who would much prefer a system where the transaction goes through as long as both "accept it" beforehand, like Steam's. People should be as careful as they want with their money.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't think PayPal gifting has any sort of guarantee if you get scammed. Steam trading does as long as everything is in the window.

It doesn't, hence why every trader specifies that the money must be sent as a gift/family and friends payment. It's why I recommend people new to the "grey market" stick with keys.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I just finished The Fall, an indie adventure game. I wrote a review on Steam, and thought I'd share it with you guys. Apologies in advance if it's not well written.

And here's a screenshot of the game:

Oh hey, sounds interesting. I'll hold off on getting it right now though as I hope the developers publish a patch. Thanks for the review and heads up.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Half way!
SHALL I TEST THE WINDS OF FATE?

I think to make it worth it I would have to make a bet for if I win. Perhaps that I would guarantee to play 20 godawful hours even if I hate it like the first one, perhaps actually trying co-op this time since people said it is awesome and it doesn't use GFWL now. However, I don't know what the counter to this bet would be, how I might be repaid for all that pain if I hate it as much as the first.

...I guess I'll leave it to you guys who actually want the game, even though the idea of the irony is hilarious to me.

I was under the impression that Valve still got a cut of each key that is bought.
There are communities where you can buy bulk keys for PayPal cash a bit below the official Steam Marketplace price. People buy them there for cheaper (like $1.80 vs. $2+ on Steam) and then trade them for games. In those sorts of transactions, Valve gets no cash. And then there are the straight "give me Paypal for this game" transactions in which Valve gets no money.

By implementing this Valve hopes at least some small percent of these people start using Steam as their exchange system as well. Because grabbing 5% of some portion of the sales is better than no percentage of no portion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom