• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylerf

I always end up playing games like exactly a year after I buy them. Spelunky is the latest example of this trend.

Arthea

I've been playing Long Live the Queen and encountered my first death -
poisoned by chocolates. Nooooo!

I felt like this whenever I was deciding on orders for classes to take:

cat c'tain

It'll get much better later on, for the first time is mostly guessing, of course, later, you already partly know what's expected from you, what skills you need when, and next time you know even more and so on. Also there are multiple ways to clear all events, so that helps a lot, even if you are just guessing for now.

Caerith

Has anyone won on the M&M contest in the last couple hours and been able to add it to their steam wallet? I won on my phone, but steam won't let me add the funds either through paypal or using the card directly. A google search brought up a post claiming that Mars has blocked usage of the prepaid on sites like Paypal, Ebay, Walmart, Amazon ect.

I haven't been able to add it to Steam through paypal, but I did just win and add it to Amazon an hour or so ago.

Thank you Fuzzification for the gift :D I'm putting it will be next on my hitlist.

66Y1f8E.png

I might not kiss you on the lips but I will love it like my own child!

Arthea

I always end up playing games like exactly a year after I buy them. Spelunky is the latest example of this trend.

Talking about games we play much later than we were expecting. I started the Banner Saga recently, and oh boy, am I disappointed with it.
I have only myself to blame, that I was expecting Suikoden (warring factions) only with tactical combat and I got nothing of that, but some slow game (wth with moving through map with incredibly slow animations? I would prefer it done Japanese way, you just click on location and you are there) and story not impressed me so far at the least. Combat is OK, I guess, too early to judge.

Ozium

Has anyone won on the M&M contest in the last couple hours and been able to add it to their steam wallet? I won on my phone, but steam won't let me add the funds either through paypal or using the card directly. A google search brought up a post claiming that Mars has blocked usage of the prepaid on sites like Paypal, Ebay, Walmart, Amazon ect.

used paypal to add to steam wallet about 5 hours ago and then just a few minutes ago when I won again...

Talking about games we play much later than we were expecting. I started the Banner Saga recently, and oh boy, am I disappointed with it.
I have only myself to blame, that I was expecting Suikoden (warring factions) only with tactical combat and I got nothing of that, but some slow game (wth with moving through map with incredibly slow animations? I would prefer it done Japanese way, you just click on location and you are there) and story not impressed me so far at the least. Combat is OK, I guess, too early to judge.
I'm gonna have to go check out gameplay, because I was under the impression that combat worked similarly to Fire Emblem. Regardless, I'm sorry to hear that you're disappointed by it, especially after it's been a GAF darling for a while.

pahamrick

I believe you can add it to your paypal.

Tried that too and it wouldn't work. Just keeps throwing declined errors at me. I'm not too fussed, I won a good bit and it financed my summer sale funds but a free Dead Rising 3 was hard to resist. :D

used paypal to add to steam wallet about 5 hours ago and then just a few minutes ago when I won again...

Oh. Guess I got unlucky and got a card with no funds on it. People still guessing card #s I guess?

tylerf

Hm, okay -- I'll try Amazon if Steam still doesn't let me. I was hoping to win enough for the rest of the month to snag Dead Rising 3.

A friend gave me a card he won and it got rejected directly to steam, through paypal, and on amazon today. Might be something weird going on because I was able to use a different one on steam through paypal last night.

Sendou

I'm the other way around with that game. I found the combat disappointing (loved Fire Emblem series and Final Fantasy Tactics) but I like everything else. At least for now it's too simple. Not interesting enough. That said outside of it I think the game works pretty well when it comes to just seeing your bannermen move through those frosty sceneries and you having a situation to deal with every once in a while. It's not quite what I expected but I'm enjoying it.

I'm gonna have to go check out gameplay, because I was under the impression that combat worked similarly to Fire Emblem. Regardless, I'm sorry to hear that you're disappointed by it, especially after it's been a GAF darling for a while.

It kind of works similiarly to Fire Emblem but it has yet to give me the satisfaction FE gives me.

Arthea

Well, it's my fault partly, I had unfounded expectations.
It is somewhat similar to Fire Emblem in broadest way of both being TRPGs, but no substitution for it, not even close.

I'm the other way around with that game. I found the combat disappointing (loved Fire Emblem series and Final Fantasy Tactics) but I like everything else. At least for now it's too simple. Not interesting enough. That said outside of it I think the game works pretty well when it comes to just seeing your bannermen move through those frosty sceneries and you having a situation to deal with every once in a while. It's not quite what I expected but I'm enjoying it.

Combat seems to be basic, what you don't like about it?
Keep in mind that I only played for two hours or so.

Benedict

I accidentaly bought this in the last Groupees Greenlight bundle, even though I already own it. I think the code should work.
this is a Desura code. not Steam.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Desura key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

QRTH PHYL -- MB-11E72E7D47EA1E71 - Taken by Tesseract. 1 entrants total.

Garcia

Super House of the Dead Ninjas is incredible. GAF hype did not let me down this time!

I'd post more detailed impressions, but no one reads them. Instead, I'll just say, buy this fucking game! It's downright amazing!!!

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/224820/

Edit:

It's just fantastic.

Visually, it's gorgeous. It oozes so much style and nails that retro look perfectly.

Gameplay-wise, it feels so fucking good. The controls just melt like butter.

In a nutshell, it's a a fast-paced action platformer where you go down a randomized tower and slash the shit out of everything. You're always winning new weapons, outfits, magic, etc.

It's just great. So damn great.

This post made my night.

Yes, people, it really is that good! Go get it! (Or play it, in case you own it and haven't even installed it).

Yrael

It'll get much better later on, for the first time is mostly guessing, of course, later, you already partly know what's expected from you, what skills you need when, and next time you know even more and so on. Also there are multiple ways to clear all events, so that helps a lot, even if you are just guessing for now.

Yeah, from my second attempt at a playthrough I've got a better idea of which skills will be needed now early on in the game due to repeated events. I think I need to focus a bit more on the Divination skill in particular in the long-term!

Garcia

I've been playing Long Live the Queen and encountered my first death -
poisoned by chocolates. Nooooo!

I felt like this whenever I was deciding on orders for classes to take:

h29885FDC

That was my first death as well. Great little game.

Arthea

Yeah, from my second attempt at a playthrough I've got a better idea of which skills will be needed now early on in the game due to repeated events. I think I need to focus a bit more on the Divination skill in particular in the long-term!

That is really helpful skill, as it gives you hints of what's to come.

Caerith

Bear in mind that you don't necessarily need the skills you're failing tests for. Like, if you got "Test: Climbing -> Failed -> Death" then maybe having more Climbing would save you, but having a different set of skills and making different choices might mean you're never in a position where you need Climbing.

Pachimari

Best I've found so far is a freeware program called DesktopOK which saves your icon layout. When windows decides to shotgun your icons randomly around the desktop after a reboot or resolution switch, you can just restore them.

Dragon's Dogma runs on MT framework :(

Thank you for this, I'm gonna look into it.

KainXVIII

This post made my night.

Yes, people, it really is that good! Go get it! (Or play it, in case you own it and haven't even installed it).

I really like feature when elite monster get their names from steam friendlist (so you can murder JaseC or someone else, if you lucky!)

Pachimari

As some of you know, I bought Call of Duty: Black Ops from GMG this morning thinking I could play it on my Windows machine. I sent them a polite email with pictures attached to explain to them I had misunderstood.

To my relief and happiness, I just now got a mail, were they have given me a full refund for the game.

Great customer service at GreenManGaming.com.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I picked up Super House of Dead Ninjas in the last Summer Sale I think, enjoyed it a lot so picked up the DLC in the next sale. Need to spend more time with it though, I really enjoyed it but ended up spending more time on other games in my backlog. It's always there waiting though.

I got both and have never played them either. Now I gave my PS3 away to my parents heh. I got to get back to them, but I wish we had PC versions.
Hopefully not at full price, since you never played them? If they don't come to PC I guess I can go pick up the 360 versions or something. I'd just rather have 'em on PC.

Arthea

I got both and have never played them either. Now I gave my PS3 away to my parents heh. I got to get back to them, but I wish we had PC versions.

I tried to play DD, but it's close to unbearable, really, we need it on PC, hopefully it'll run much better than on PS3.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
As some of you know, I bought Call of Duty: Black Ops from GMG this morning thinking I could play it on my Windows machine. I sent them a polite email with pictures attached to explain to them I had misunderstood.

To my relief and happiness, I just now got a mail, were they have given me a full refund for the game.

Great customer service at GreenManGaming.com.

When I had an issue with a non working Warhammer DoW II key I bought from them, they refused to offer me a refund...

Same with a friend who bought Ninja Blade from them thinking it was a Steam key. They told him a refund was not possible...

Never bought anything from them ever since except freebie stuff that I could get with GMG credit

Sendou

Combat seems to be basic, what you don't like about it?
Keep in mind that I only played for two hours or so.

It's just that. It's too basic. There's too little things to keep track off. I'm not too far into the game either but I get the feeling that this is it.

Also the game just crashed on a loading screen :/ Let's hope the save system really works.

Vuze

Last repost

Games included:
Skyrim (non legendary), 2x Defy Gravity, They Breathe, Mass Effect, Awesomenauts, Dead Island Epidemic
If you already own the game you win please give it away within SteamGAF. If there should be any problems (I still have that weird non-tradeable note on the gifts but could send them via mail so... not sure what Steam is up to) we'll work it out :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ty7lO4E.jpg
0h87VcD.jpg
TwquOGY.jpg

Kinder-Uberraschung #5 -- MB-4385197AA200948F - Taken by Leila
Kinder-Uberraschung #4 -- MB-4E51D9EA700B8D9B - Taken by Deques
Kinder-Uberraschung #7 -- MB-82FE4689AF93EEBF
Kinder-Uberraschung #6 -- MB-D98E4BC66FB1BBB4 - Taken by Sarcasm
Kinder-Uberraschung #1 -- MB-8409C4A022F46718
Kinder-Uberraschung #3 -- MB-37FB9877230D3B76
Kinder-Uberraschung #2 -- MB-027FB269D5F08F2E - Taken by Catshade

t1404209382z1.png

Yrael

That was my first death as well. Great little game.

I can tell this is going to have a lot of replay value!

That is really helpful skill, as it gives you hints of what's to come.

Yeah, there were a few times
(like the invitation to Gwenelle's birthday party)
when I really wished I'd invested more in the skill!

Bear in mind that you don't necessarily need the skills you're failing tests for. Like, if you got "Test: Climbing -> Failed -> Death" then maybe having more Climbing would save you, but having a different set of skills and making different choices might mean you're never in a position where you need Climbing.

Ah cool, cheers, I'll keep this in mind as well! :)

BadRamen

Quick review of Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers: It is aight. Cutting is cool but more a novelty than anything else. I did appreciate how the game definitely did not overstay its welcome (about two or three hours to collect most of the music and not nearly any of the boring stones (collectables in each stage)). Some fun achievements in there too!

Double

I usually leave after the damage (steam sale) but I figure I might stay a while longer this time!

Btw is Harvester really any good? Thinking about getting the bundle over at Bundlestars. It definitely has that kind of obvious Twin Peaks-vibe going for it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom