• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I forgot that I bought Rayman Legends during the sale. I should install that tonight and give it a go. Then again, I got very little sleep during Glastonbury and bed is massively tempting. Off to the backlog it goes!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yeah Lol I saw it the moment I press post. Thanks. I think I will check that out.

One question for those playing it though.

Items and weapons in the game. Is there a degradation system? Like you have to visit a blacksmith cause your weapon durability dropped?

I know its common in RPG to have that but I honestly can't stand it. That's why I never pick up Kingdom of Amalur.

Yes, items in the game have a set amount of durability, and you'll need to either visit someone with the repair skill or repair them yourself (by leveling up your own repair skill) before they break.

Gangxxter

New BundleStars

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/big-sims-bundle/

Professional Farmer 2014
Woodcutter Simulator 2013 Gold Edition
Airport Simulator 2014
Warehouse and Logistics Simulator
Towtruck Simulator 2015
Skyscraper Simulator
Agricultural Simulator: Historical Farming
Bridge It (Plus)
Trainz: Murchison 2
Trainz: Classic Cabon City
Trainz: Settle & Carlisle
Roller Coaster Rampage

3,50€

Sadly I already own all these Simulator goodness
How is Bridge It and Roller Coaster Rampage? Worth 3.50 €?

Shadownet

Banned
Yes, items in the game have a set amount of durability, and you'll need to either visit someone with the repair skill or repair them yourself (by leveling up your own repair skill) before they break.

Well that's its. I'm probably not getting Original Sin until the game come out and have a big sale on it.

I know its silly for me to not get the game based on one little game mechanic.. But I hate it the same way some people hate QTEs. Which I don't mind.

I'm glad the game is really good so far though :)

Deitus

How worth is the Red Faction series for 6usd? I get motion sicked by FPS games though.

The first two Red Faction games were great in their time, but I don't imagine they hold up well today. Plus they are FPSs, so it might not be worth it for you.

Red Faction Guerrilla is an open world, destruction focused, third-person shooter. If being in third person alleviates your motion sickness issues, it is definitely worth playing. The level of destruction you can do in an open world setting is fantastic, including taking out the base of a tower, and having it collapse on a nearby building, destroying that as well. And you get a ton of tools to help blow stuff up, from remote mines, to a disintegration rifle, to a singularity grenade. Though sometimes it is fun to just run around knocking out walls with your sledgehammer.

Red Faction Armageddon is also a third-person shooter, but unlike Guerrilla, it has no open world and instead has a completely linear (and generic) shooter campaign. It does still have the destruction mechanics of Guerrilla, but being that you spend 95% of your time inside narrow caverns with few meaningful structures to be found, there isn't a lot of fun to be had in blowing stuff up. It's not "bad" though, and it does have a few interesting weapons. You probably have better games to play though.

TL;DR version: Play Guerrilla, skip the rest. Is it worth $6 for just Guerrilla? I think so, but it is a 5 year old game, so your mileage may vary.

This weekend I finished TRAUMA (thanks for the giveaway PossumMeat!). A unique experience for sure. The puzzle-esque gameplay was fun but probably the part I most enjoyed was the story. Each photograph you find gives you a bit of information about the mind of the protagonist. Her past, her fears, her traumas. It's a bit short buy I enjoyed every part of it.

Hugstable

Banned
Damn, guys, 10% through the thread in a single day?

I've been listening to Shovel Knight OST that virt made available for PWYW on his site... If the game is half as good as its music, it should easily score GAF Steam 2014 GOTY award.

Thanks for the link to the soundtrack, Clockwork Tower Music is amazing, as is the Lost City music An Underlying Problem. My goodness this OST is wonderful.

Lost City song brings back so much memories of Megaman, this track is so good.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Wizardry 8 -- MB-83DC137F3DE4ABCB - Taken by Li Kao
Harvester -- MB-8CC581DA5D7AE398 - Taken by liezryou
UFO: Aftershock -- MB-042925C4557C6769 - Taken by astrogamer
System Shock 2 -- MB-5B9DB7DFDB793286 - Taken by Vazduh
Ascension to the Throne -- MB-6B67632211FE46C7 - Taken by nightstorm
Wizardry 6 and 7 -- MB-004E5EB050CA8597 - Taken by Catshade

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Quick Reminder: 2 hours and 40 mins remaining for Abyss Odyssey giveaway. (Includes the soundtrack)
abyss.jpg

t1404238148z1.png

Biochet

I forgot that I bought Rayman Legends during the sale. I should install that tonight and give it a go. Then again, I got very little sleep during Glastonbury and bed is massively tempting. Off to the backlog it goes!

You are missing out on a lot of fun by doing that. The music levels were sogood.

Shadownet

Banned
So in all this commotion I didn't realize I won Divinity II: Developer's Cut from Cyberquake. (Thanks a lot mate:])

Is it any good? If it is it may sway me over to get Original Sin.

So in all this commotion I didn't realize I won Divinity II: Developer's Cut from Cyberquake. (Thanks a lot mate:])

No worries, enjoy it!
I havent started a single divinity game so far. My backlog is too huge across all my gaming platforms :(

Lomax

It's got some really great systems though other than the writing I don't think you can really compare it to Original Sin at all.

Aaron D.

New BundleStars

Professional Farmer 2014
Airport Simulator 2014
Towtruck Simulator 2015
Skyscraper Simulator
Bridge It (Plus)
Roller Coaster Rampage

3,50€

Are any of them good?
I mean 'good', not 'good for the price'. :)

Beyond novel curiosities that are entertaining for 10-15 minutes? No.

Professional Farmer 2014 had potential to be the turnaround game for the notoriously cash-grab sim developer UIG Entertainment, but it fell just short of the mark. The engine is actually quite nice looking but its performance is lacking. Still, you could squeeze some hours out of PF14 if you tried.

And in spite of Airport Simulator 2014 being nothing more than, "Drive Service Trucks Up To Parked Airplanes Simulator 2014". If found it a kind of fun in spite of itself.

Trainz is a poor-man's Railworks Train Simulator.

I own all titles listed and I'd say the rest are throwaway. I have a strange fascination with janky budget sims, but only on a cheap (>$5), dip your toes in for a few minutes level.

If your time is valuable and you still want to explore the vehicle sim genre, stick with Euro Truck Simulator 2, Train Simulator 2014, Farming Simulator 2013, OMSI 2, etc. There's a lot of quality product out there in a sea of disposable budget titles.

_hekk05

Banned
I just brought the mine key from 1-4 to 4-1 in spelunky before realising I can't do the tunnel man quest during the daily challenge. Got killed by anubis.

It was such a good run. I had 9 hp, spike boots, floating cape, sticky fluid.

Terra_Ex

It's pretty good when it gets going, I enjoyed it a lot. Definitely worth playing through.

MUnited83

For you.
Feels really good right now to have bough Original Sin (and with the other Divinity titles as a bonus!)for 11$ several months ago :D

Abyss Odyssey looks great. I may actually get it just to support the chilean industry.

Also, looks like it's full of chilean references which is cool.

Aw man, i missed that system shock 2 giveaway, LAME! :( so what game have you been playing(if any), steamgaf? Im about to go play state of decay for a bit before heading off to the theater to see transformers with the family

milena87

I loved Divinity 2. It's a really different game, gameplay-wise, from Divinity Original Sin. The quirkiness and the humor is the same, though.

Divinity 2 in a third person action/RPG and you only control your own character. But your character can turn into a dragon and destroy enemies with fire.

The story is good and there are some interesting places to explore. I would recommend this to anyone who likes quirky and original Action-RPGs.

Trejik

I came before the Sale thread, and stayed after.

Also, have to change my avatar.

Also, Marlow Briggs is pretty great. Finished reviewing it. Is linking it allowed?

Autofokus

Beyond novel curiosities that are entertaining for 10-15 minutes? No.

Professional Farmer 2014 had potential to be the turnaround game for the notoriously cash-grab sim developer UIG Entertainment, but it fell just short of the mark. The engine is actually quite nice looking but its performance is lacking. Still, you could squeeze some hours out of PF14 if you tried.

And in spite of Airport Simulator 2014 being nothing more than, "Drive Service Trucks Up To Parked Airplanes Simulator 2014". If found it a kind of fun in spite of itself.

Trainz is a poor-man's Railworks Train Simulator.

I own all titles listed and I'd say the rest are throwaway. I have a strange fascination with janky budget sims, but only on a cheap (>$5), dip your toes in for a few minutes level.

If your time is valuable and you still want to explore the vehicle sim genre, stick with Euro Truck Simulator 2, Train Simulator 2014, Farming Simulator 2013, OMSI 2, etc. There's a lot of quality product out there in a sea of disposable budget titles.
Thanks for your impressions, appreciate it.
I'm gonna skip this bundle. From all mentioned games I only have ETS2, which I really liked.

wilflare

New BundleStars

Professional Farmer 2014
Airport Simulator 2014
Towtruck Simulator 2015
Skyscraper Simulator
Bridge It (Plus)
Roller Coaster Rampage

3,50€

was looking for Euro Truck Simulator 2
-disappointed

i wish capcom would speed up with the removal of GFWL on some of their older games just so they'll go on sale. I've always been interested in DR2OTR but I'm holding out hope that there'll be a sale around when DR3 launches.

Shadownet

Banned
I loved Divinity 2. It's a really different game, gameplay-wise, from Divinity Original Sin. The quirkiness and the humor is the same, though.

Divinity 2 in a third person action/RPG and you only control your own character. But your character can turn into a dragon and destroy enemies with fire.

The story is good and there are some interesting places to explore. I would recommend this to anyone who likes quirky and original Action-RPGs.

Well if everything is good (even if the combat) is different. That might be good enough for me to get Original Sin.

I also think there's quite a few new regulars that have stayed after the Summer Sale thread.

Yeah, I'm one of these people! :) I had no idea how amazing SteamGAF is or I would have come earlier D: But now I should go back to trying to make Dynasty Warriors 8 working properly with the Skyrim ENB... if I only could get the DoF to focus...

Copons

Seeing all those Divinity: OS screens in my Steam feed is making me want to finally start Divine Divinity.
Fact is, I tried it some time ago, but it run kinda weird (Win 8.1).

Now I can't remember which problems I had, but do you guys know if there are any known patches or mods I should install to best enjoy the game?

Yakkue

Seeing all those Divinity: OS screens in my Steam feed is making me want to finally start Divine Divinity.
Fact is, I tried it some time ago, but it run kinda weird (Win 8.1).

Now I can't remember which problems I had, but do you guys know if there are any known patches or mods I should install to best enjoy the game?

According to the steam community forums it should run fine if you use the "software rendering option".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom