• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadownet

Banned
Yasss
yes_and_tears.gif

Hey Nito! Tell your mom to hook me up with a free copy!

She is so cute. Who is she? <3 I love redheads.

Uzzy

The Pillars of Eternity beta is dropping August 18th, which means that I'll have to be on spoiler watch from that date. Great.

Here's a weird one for people who don't talk so much. Noobs and wallflowers only.

ModBot said:
Instructions for weemadarthur:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (weemadarthur, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Tomb Raider -- MB-4DEA7FECCCAFD45A - Taken by tioslash. 15 entrants total.

t1405133216z1.png

Hugstable

Banned
Every time someone mentions Guilty Gear in here and it isn't related to Xrd being brought to PC I cry inside. :'(

We can always hope! Blazblue Calamatiy Trigger finally came to PC so I have hope that someday we might actually play Xrd on Steam. Hell Steam has quite a bit of fighting games now, KOFXIII, Skullgrils, BBCT, SSFIV and others. Love all the influx of fighting and SHMUP games that hit steam recently.

We can always hope! Blazblue Calamatiy Trigger finally came to PC so I have hope that someday we might actually play Xrd on Steam. Hell Steam has quite a bit of fighting games now, KOFXIII, Skullgrils, BBCT, SSFIV and others. Love all the influx of fighting and SHMUP games that hit steam recently.
BlazBlue CT's been on PC for ages, it just came to Steam sans GFWL (and the cross-platform play it had), and any online features.

Tellaerin

Talking about favourite games of 2014 so far I wonder what the policy will be with SteanGAFs GOTY awards? So far Resi 4, MGS: Rising and Killer is Dead are high on my fav games (re)played this year. Resi despite being one if the tightest games ever in terms of polish and pacing was a slightly different experience at 60fps, Rising was more of the same but a stable framerate really helped appreciate the encounters and KiD at stupidly high resolutions and 60fps make that game even more awesome.

If it's like last year's, all that matters is whether or not the game debuted on Steam in 2014, regardless of availability on other platforms or services. That seems fair to me for a Steam-specific GOTY award.

Jawmuncher

Code:
[IMG]https://cdn.mediacru.sh/CW_Nu8DcoR6K.jpg[/IMG]
I guess this is game over since I achieved max harem crew level.
Anyway, the game itself is atrocious, the characters are worse then generic and the graphics besides the VN parts would be laughed at even during PS1 era.

Quickly browsing through what I miss made me think this was a Evangelion game.

http://a.pomf.se/gxlwcd.webm "peasants"

http://a.pomf.se/amsljx.webm "That chicken is as fast as Sanic"

More Speedrunners footage. This one is really good.

http://a.pomf.se/vwfavw.webm "Match of the century" PART 1

http://a.pomf.se/jdsign.webm "Match of the century" PART 2
Welp.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Fuzzification, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Each winner must post about their defeat at the hands of Dunder to the thread.
capsule_467x181.jpg

SpeedRunners #4 -- MB-5D1BD2777813221F - Taken by Gez. 42 entrants total.
SpeedRunners #5 -- MB-99A9F7293D01BFB3 - Taken by sotodefonk. 47 entrants total.
SpeedRunners #6 -- MB-54DADE692279DBB0 - Taken by 73V3N. 39 entrants total.
SpeedRunners #7 -- MB-AEB4830EB3E9E8D1 - Taken by Teppic. 45 entrants total.
SpeedRunners #1 -- MB-EFBCCD4EE4CFA4EA - Taken by billmcdougal. 41 entrants total.
SpeedRunners #2 -- MB-4DF8E1D4A236CFD3 - Taken by Kiru. 43 entrants total.
SpeedRunners #3 -- MB-6101B74F6151205C - Taken by Tesseract. 42 entrants total.

t1405133516z1.png

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
UrxHuic.gif

how dare you

i'm not buying Abyss Odyssey anymore

i'm gonna tell everyone i know not to buy it and that it's bad

i hope the game bombs

hmph

She can't sing, she can't act and neither be funny but who cares she is a red head.
image.php

Articalys

Well this is terrible timing. I just wanted to get rid of a few other older bundle games I decided I have no interest in playing, but with that giveaway up there I doubt anyone will care about this one, but I also don't want to wait another three hours to post it.
ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Starseed Pilgrim -- MB-A8B3CBCAF53ABD55 - Taken by CrunchyFrog
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians -- MB-AACDF2D9AB72203C - Taken by Sofa King
Brutal Legend -- MB-ED23BAE7DF0A3115 - Taken by default two

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Also for a birthday mention, here's almost every horror game on Steam I have enjoyed and played, and a brief thought on it. Before you ask, there's a few obvious missing titles, like the Penumbra and Amnesia games, that's cause like to split my horror diet between obscure and mainstream and haven't played all enough yet, so spread out playing.

Alphabetical order.

header_292x136.jpg

7 Days to Die
More arcade-like than Day Z and more realistic than Minecraft, it's still in Early Access but have had a lot of fun playing this with friends. Love the varied enemies, environments, and the amount of stuff to do even in its early stage.

header_292x136.jpg

Alan Wake
An episodic thriller about an author in the pacific northwest. It's a bit hammy and has some repetitive elements, but makes an enjoyable world, fantastic atmosphere, and an interesting narrative, but wrapped in a love it/hate it game (I love it).

header_292x136.jpg

Alan Wake's American Nightmare
Arcade spin-off from Alan Wake, and somewhat of a sequel (don't play it until after the main game, extreme spoilers for it), has improved combat and interesting hub areas, but maybe missing the charm of the original. Still, a fun arcade shooter.

header_292x136.jpg

Alice: Madness Returns
Not as good as the original, but still a pretty good game. Full of style, beauty, and pretty good hair physics. A bit action-focused, but it does mix things up to varying degrees of success.

header_292x136.jpg

Alone in the Dark
The fifth game in the series, this is one of the campiest, cheesiest, B-Horror games you could ever play. Not really a 'good' game, but one hell of an experience.

header_292x136.jpg

Alone in the Dark: New Nightmare
The fourth entry in the series, it's a straight-up Resident Evil clone, but has an interesting two character dynamic where they both go through completely different campaigns (with a few meet-up points), with one character more focused on surviving the odds, killing, avoiding, and trying to survive, the other more puzzle-oriented.

header_292x136.jpg

Among the Sleep
Play as a toddler into a surreal horror game full of imagination and style. Maybe feel a bit too safe a lot of the time until later in, has great atmosphere & style, and really unique audio design that adds a lot. Story is maybe predictable, but well executed.

header_292x136.jpg

Anna: Extended Edition
A puzzle game with horror elements and some good scripted and randomized scares, you go through a small house after a legend... Not the greatest story, but some fun multiple endings, and some great horror moments, but the puzzles can be a bit brain-wracking sometimes.

header_292x136.jpg

Anodyne
Not strictly a horror game, but definitely has its moments. Like Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening meets Yume Nikki, very strange surreal feeling matched with some dream-like and nightmarish moments.

header_292x136.jpg

Betrayer
By the creators of Condemned and F.E.A.R., a fantasy effort that mixes genres, but has some great atmosphere and survival elements. Played best with the black, white, and red option, I feel.

header_292x136.jpg

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
A great adventure action horror game. One of the best Lovecraft-based games. Challenging, spooky, some good scares, interesting insanity effects... A few frustrating moments and some glitches, but still a fantastic horror experience, that's a bit slow-burn.

header_292x136.jpg

The Cat Lady
A strange but very interesting horror adventure game about a woman who can't kill herself until she destroys several people on this Earth who are 'parasites', a task given by the Queen of Maggots. Great music, great story, unique style.

header_292x136.jpg

Cold Fear
'Resident Evil 4 Lite' is not a bad term for it. It's not nearly as good, but is an interesting RE clone that blends RE4 and old-school RE gameplay together, taking place on a boat with a hammy story but enjoyable environment and enemies (though a few are rather annoying).

header_292x136.jpg

Condemned: Criminal Origins
A grizzly hobo horror game that gets scarier later in the game, a few good scares but mostly through an oppressive and dreary atmosphere. Best chapters are chapters 5, 8, and 9.

header_292x136.jpg

Cry of Fear
A good single player and co-op campaign (both campaigns are different), and its free. Wonderful indie game with some good scares and interesting Silent Hill, The Sufferring, and Condemned influence.

capsule_467x181.jpg

Cryostasis
No longer on Steam proper, but a game that's something like a mix of Echo Night and Condemned. Changes peoples fates by visiting their corpses lingering memories into the past, and tackle strange nightmarish monsters on a ship.

header_292x136.jpg

Damned
A slow but fun 5-player multiplayer game where 4 people play as humans collecting keys and opening doors, and a single player plays a monster hunting other players.

header_292x136.jpg

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut
It does some things amazing, other things terribly. But it has amazing characters, a good story, Twin Peaks influence everywhere, and is an experience that is likely to put a smile on your face.

header_292x136.jpg

Dead Space
One of the most popular horror games of the last 10 years, a sci-fi horror corridor shooter where you back-track, go through the dark, and shoot interesting enemies. Very much in the same class of Doom 3 horror haunted house simulating.

header_292x136.jpg

Dead Space 2
The horror tones down a bit with the action toned up a bit, but the level design and pacing see's a step-up to make a wonderful action-horror title that is in the same kin of sorts (but short of) Resident Evil 4.

header_292x136.jpg

Dementium II HD
Originally a handheld horror game, it is kind of a required taste to enjoy it, and a bit action-focused, but has some cool moments, and some fun sort of 'grinding' gameplay with enemies and progressing.

header_292x136.jpg

Depths of Fear :: Knossos
You're in a randomized rouge-like Minotaur labyrinth with a dozen mythological monsters. You have hardly any light, need to survive, and must find the escape... Good luck!

header_292x136.jpg

Doom 3
In the same class as Dead Space terror, its dark, strange but fascinating monsters come after you, and you must fight back and survive in space.

header_292x136.jpg

DreadOut
Some very interesting audio and atmosphere with a large selection of ghosts. It's a Indonesian low-budget Fatal Frame clone, but some good execution. Look forward to the second act!

header_292x136.jpg

Ecco The Dlophin
I don't care what you guys say, this is a fucking horror game. A deceptive game that is about a dolphin under harsh undersea climates as suddenly all your dolphin friends have gone missing... So you go deeper... And deeper... and it gets strange...

header_292x136.jpg

Eversion
A short but unique platformer, some interesting influence, and best to experience knowing very little.

header_292x136.jpg

F.E.A.R.
West meets East horror, or so they'd like you to believe. Has satisfying gunplay and some good atmosphere scenes. A bit repetitive, but a novel and unique idea at the time, and still has one of the best shotguns ever.

header_292x136.jpg

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
Gameplay is a bit toned down from the first, but the horror has seen an upgrade. Like it more or less than the first game, it still is a solid entry to the series, and goes more into Alma.

header_292x136.jpg

Harvester
Live-Action footage with a campy B-Horror concept. Disgusting, over-the-top, B-Fun for horror fans of the camp.

header_292x136.jpg

Haunted Memories
An episodic Slender clone, the first episode is free, and the second cost something (more episodes coming). My third favorite Slender game, it has creepy environments and a good build-up and interesting location. Atmospheric joy.

header_292x136.jpg

I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream
A horror adventure classic with an interesting story with dark themes, involving a computer who takes the role of god to humanity and shows us our sins. Messed-up, especially for the mid-90s, and has some interesting adventure gameplay and concepts.

268x268.resizedimage

Kabus 22
Not on Steam (yet, it's been greenlit), but a pretty good B-Horror Resident Evil clone, but more so mixes Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Suffering, and Devil May Cry together. A b it of a rip-off, but still solid and pretty fun, with some good variety through the campaign and unique monsters. And puzzles!

header_292x136.jpg

Kentucky Route Zero
Completely surreal, drenched with atmosphere, and matched with a nowhere America story that takes a lot from folklore and legend. Almost like experiencing a dream.

header_292x136.jpg

Killing Floor
My favorite arena shooting game, 6-player co-op (and up to 264 players with modding), fantastic co-op game.

header_292x136.jpg

Knock-Knock
More of a game to experience, it has a complicated story and set-up, and is a very different sort of horror game. Solve puzzles, wander environments, and tackle challenges and oddities as they come.

header_292x136.jpg

The Last Door: Collector's Edition
A fantastic point'n'click horror game that takes inspiration from Edgar Poe, Lovecraft, and David Lynch. Some creepy moments and the episodes get creepier as they go on, along with a fantastic story.

header_292x136.jpg

Left 4 Dead 2
Don't think I need to say, but a fun co-op game with zombies. Some fantastic fan campaigns exist.

header_292x136.jpg

LIMBO
Platformer of a boy, traps, puzzles, and giant spiders, you must survive a harsh and bleak world to find your sister. Fun experience, and one of the first of its kind.

header_292x136.jpg

Lone Survivor: Director's Cut
One of my favorite 2D horror games, it takes a lot from David Lynch & Silent Hill but becomes its own things. A mysterious storyline about a nameless protagonist, he goes deep into his apartment complex and the city to try and find meaning to his minimal existence. Great sound and atmosphere, and interesting story.

header_292x136.jpg

The Lost Crown
This is actually a fairly spooky game about investigating into ghosts. Some good adventure gameplay, interesting look, and legitimately creepy in places.

header_292x136.jpg

Master Reboot
A surreal sci-fi horror, kind of a walking simulator but with a variety of tasks to do like searching a beach with a metal detector or avoiding a strange girl with glowing eyes. Atmosphere is great.

header_292x136.jpg

Miasmata
Not a full-on horror game, more of a island survival. It's a good survival game though, and can be tense at night or when being chase. You have a disease and are stranded on an island, find a way off, fight your disease, take shelter, and survive!

header_292x136.jpg

Murdered: Soul Suspect
A cinematic noire ghost story, more like an interactive 'gaming experience' and gameplay lite, but good characters, acting, and story, maybe not as ambitious as it could of been but still a fun experience.

header_292x136.jpg

Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi
Outside of the fact that Nosferatu is one of the creepiest vampires ever, the game is randomized and really can tense you up and provide challenge and some good scares... But also somewhat glitchy, but the glitches can be hilarious. A fun old rogue-like game.

header_292x136.jpg

ObsCure
A Resident Evil clone mixed with those Teen Horror movies, take a camp of students on campus from a plant monster invasion. Pretty good.

header_292x136.jpg

ObsCure 2: The Aftermath
Maybe not as good as the original, but a still solid, campier Resident Evil clone (now a bit more action-like) that drives more into its Teen Horror roots... Almost literally.

header_292x136.jpg

Outlast
First-Person horror game with some good scares, atmosphere, and chasing gameplay. It's kind of front-loaded so the scariest parts are at the start, bit still an interesting grindhouse style of horror game.

header_292x136.jpg

Paranormal
Randomized horror game that takes a lot from horror films, it's still in Early Access but gets updated regularly and has some good scares and fun to sort of just experience with the lights off.

header_292x136.jpg

The Path
An 'experience' game retelling Little Red Riding Hood with multiple girls and stronger horror tones. Strange, slow, but interesting.

header_292x136.jpg

Resident Evil 4
Considered by many to be one of the great games of all time (and I don't disagree), fantastic pacing and design matches fun combat and upgrade abilities with wonderful atmosphere and adrenaline-pumping gameplay.

header_292x136.jpg

Resident Evil 5
It's an action game, but has some fun enemies, areas, and is a fantastic co-op game with some fun unlockables.

header_292x136.jpg

Resident Evil 6
A love it/hate it game, but has some fantastic combat mechanics as you adjust, a lengthy and all-over-the-place quality-wise campaign, a great mercenaries mode, and a pretty fun co-op game.

header_292x136.jpg

Resident Evil Revelations
Not the return to survival-horror that Capcom claims, and the handheld nature shows in how enemies react and design, but a pretty fun Resident Evil delve onto a boat with some highs and lows, some good music, and an addicting Raid Mode.

header_292x136.jpg

Scratches: Director's Cut
A truly great point'n'click adventure horror game with fantastic audio, atmosphere, and puzzles. It gets creepier and creepier as it goes along, great build-up.

header_292x136.jpg

Silent Hill: Homecoming
In no way the best of the series, but it has some good B-horror fun and interesting moments. Music is good, some of the bosses are fun, and some surreal edge to enjoy. Has some flaws, and again its meh to its series, but has its moments and B-Horror joys.

header_292x136.jpg

Slender: The Arrival
My personal favorite Slender game, its very different than others, but is basically like a game version of a found-footage horror film. Has some scary moments, and the secret level is truly terrifying (to me).

header_292x136.jpg

Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army
A fun multiplayer game of shooting zombies. Some good variety between the five stages, and was honestly more fun with friends than I was expecting. Ending was a bit disappointing, but a fun romp of finding the perfect spot and surviving hell crowds.

header_292x136.jpg

Typing of the Dead: Overkill
Type or shoot enemies dead, some fun co-op, ridiculous grindhouse fun with a lot of cursing, gore, and an unforgettable ending.

header_292x136.jpg

The Void
Not fully a horror game, but it sure is strange and full of atmosphere. Takes a while to understand, and even then, its freaking weird. Surreal and abstract with interesting imagery and unique drawing gameplay.

header_292x136.jpg

Walking Dead
Not gameplay focused, and choices really don't matter as much as they make it out to, but still a fun experience and story into a survival scenario in the popular Walking Dead series.

header_292x136.jpg

White Noise Online
A multiplayer Slender-like game (though no Slender actually in it). My second favorite Slender game, and good for some multiplayer shenanigans. Collect radios, unlock different character, and explore the depths of varied locations, from tropical islands to secret government facilities. Not a complete list.

header_292x136.jpg

Year Walk
Enriched by folklore, Year Walk is a short but interesting puzzle game with great atmosphere as you go into a snowy forest to try and catch a glimpse of the future. Strange entities try to block your passage.

---

There be some I missed, but yai.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Ice cold.
Have you applied to the Lin Kuei yet?

Wait a minute, what are you saying about red heads?

I think like every other human being red heads are hot but I in particularly loathe Felicia Day. (Some redheads get away with some things just cause they look good too but thats another story but can be connected to Felicia's appeal)The Dragon Age episodes and DLC with her *barfs*

Also for a birthday mention, here's almost every horror game on Steam I have enjoyed and played, and a brief thought on it. Before you ask, there's a few obvious missing titles, like the Penumbra and Amnesia games, that's cause like to split my horror diet between obscure and mainstream and haven't played all enough yet, so spread out playing.

A belated happy birthday, sir! Great recommendations!

Ozium

Should I spend my 10$ on Waifu simulator Monster Girl Edition or Abyss Odyssey? Choices choices.
giphy.gif

abyss odyssey has more replayability, with it being a roguelite in its design as well as the optional VS mode..

the waifu games best assets are already available in this thread or in steam friend's screenshots..

you know what to do

Awesome. That's awesome. I hope I win one! I got hyped for this recently and am a lot more interested knowing that there will certainly be people to play against.

Alphabetical order.

Woah. You're not picky with horror, I think XD

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

I don't know if anybody has ever told you this, but you're good people.

Anybody who doesn't even enter this raffle, I don't have such kind things to say to you. I hold no grudge though. Your own self punishment when you finally play Speedrunners will be enough.

Caerith

I wonder if you could make an actual Waifu Simulator. And by that, I mean you play the waifu. Like, you're an anime woman for hire who has to take jobs in shitty fanservice games and you have to do dumb shit to improve your waifu reputation and get into bigger-budget games and start taking jobs in cross-promotional products and multimedia franchises.

You could even add a whole bunch of sly, self-reflexive commentary and make it a feminist critique of fanservice, or alternately go the opposite route and basically fill it with sexy embarrassment (embare-assment lol)/best girl tropes. Either way, there needs to be a hardcore business management sim behind all this, where you eventually become the owner of your own insanely powerful waifu empire with slovenly otaku audiences eating out of your hands while you drain their wallets. It can be like Euro Truck Simulator 2, where you start out doing your own jobs and eventually work your way up to having a stable full of vocaloid idol groups.

I feel dirty even sketching out the idea this much.

It would be critically-acclaimed but end up with a -96% user rating on Steam and a metacritic user score of 5.4 (out of 100).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom