• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Flips360, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Spec Ops The Line -- MB-EEE6CA988647F6FE - Taken by Uni on Everything!. 10 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
The Darkness II -- MB-CF058905DCC1BA9D - Taken by kadab. 11 entrants total.

t1404938744z1.png

AU7Amsc.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I mean, I know that Valiant Hearts got locked down rapidly but that was more due to an even cheaper pricing error on the RUS side than the usual lower cross-regional price, right?

Yeah. The game is actually more expensive in Russia by about $5. If the mistake had been fixed sooner I think Ubi would left the sub region-free.

fernandes

I noticed just trying to install some F2P games now increases your game count in your profile. I don't think this happened before and it only seems to work with some of the most recent games.

Example: Robocraft, NEOTOKYO, Unturned and even some free apps like Cakewalk Loop Manager.

You just need to get that install window that shows you the install size, no need to really install them. You even get 1xp.

Amzin

I finally won more M&Ms money but I keep getting "This card number is not valid for the payment method you selected" when I try to use it under ES. Anyone know what the fix is?

It might be obvious, but don't put the "M" in front of the numbers on the ecard in the actual CC number form when you're filling it out. And make sure you're typing in all 16 digits. If it's saying it's not a valid number then it's probably a typo.

Lomax

I think it's easy to overestimate how much effect the "gray market" really has. Even most people on GAF don't use it, at least not regularly, and if you consider the public at large, it's probably a trivial amount. The smart publishers realize the people that use it are just going to wait for a deal anyway, and they are just getting the purchase early. The paranoid publishers just disable the ability to do it. And Valve has shown pretty clearly that the reduced prices drastically increase sales in those regions, so they are worthwhile overall. All told, it doesn't seem like a huge deal.

All that said, if they really do introduce the ability to easily trade steam wallet funds, we may see things locked down a lot more, as that will introduce easy resale of games in a more simple and transparent way, with more of the Steam safeguards in place.

Redeemed some bundle keys and got the "too many activation attempts" error. How long does this shit last?
A few hours.
Happened to me when I bought 4 Bundlestars at the same time, I was able to redeem again when I tried 15 minutes later
Thanks, Jawmuncher and JakeD. For anyone wondering, it seemed to last about an hour for me. Freaked me out at first to be locked out of activating games I bought honestly and legally, but glad it was only temporary.

Quick question my fellows DarkSoulGAF.

Is Dark Souls 2 considerably easier or am I over-leveled?

I'm currently on Drangleic Castle, just yesterday killed the twin Dragon Riders and I'm on level 141, and honestly I'm breezing through this game.

It's a bit easier outside of a few places but you're also pretty highly leveled for the area. Keep in mind though that if you beat the first Dark Souls and Demons Souls you have a pretty sound foundation of what to do, and what not to do which made it a lot easier for me.

JaseC

I think it's easy to overestimate how much effect the "gray market" really has.

Yeah, Eastern Europe accounted for just 7% of Steam's store sales revenue in 2013. The "grey market" is popular among the more seasoned Steam users, sure, but it's a merely drop in a very big ocean.

Enco

I'm 4 hours into Wolfenstein The New Order

And MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN is this game good. I'm not huge into FPS games but this is amazing. Easily a big runner for GOTY.

So fun. The story is gripping, music amazing and gameplay fun. Can't fault it at all.

A++ game so far.

Articalys

Yeah. The game is actually more expensive in Russia by about $5. If the mistake had been fixed sooner I think Ubi would left the sub region-free.

Yeah, Eastern Europe accounted for just 7% of Steam's store sales revenue in 2013. The "grey market" is popular among the more seasoned Steam users, sure, but it's a merely drop in a very big ocean.
Ah, that does help explain a bit of it. Thanks.

Dr Dogg

They did a good job with tomb raider

http://i.imgur.com/creRNF9.jpg[IMG]

It's not perfect, but better[/QUOTE]

If only publishers used the "Release Date" fields correctly then this whole organisation dilemma could be sorted out quite easily. I can see this new sortas field getting fucked up before long. Surely this can't be that hard to let it be user generated and have a default library name to display to everyone else to stop abuse (because you know if you let users rename library names there will be some people think they're funny and change them to something stupid). Oh of course that's too simple for Valve to do :/

velociraptor

And MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN is this game good. I'm not huge into FPS games but this is amazing. Easily a big runner for GOTY.

So fun. The story is gripping, music amazing and gameplay fun. Can't fault it at all.

A++ game so far.

Hopefully it comes on the winter sale, because I really want to play it. Got a big backlog though at the moment!

Uh, I think it's more that people were worried that a remake of a decidedly PC game from the 90s wouldn't be releasing on PC.

Without Sony it would likely still be in the nethers so why complain given a pc version was announced within a few hours of the PS4 reveal?

And I'm glad Alien: Isolation is more like the first film and not the macho man action'd up Aliens. Would rather watch 3 and Resurrection before it, at least it got the game it deserved with Colonial Marines
exaggerating a little

Edit: Well, officially announced today but they had tweets hinting that the pc version was coming the same night.

JaseC

A++ game so far.

Yeah, a mate and I played through the campaign on the X1 and finally finished it the other night. I didn't care for the ending and thought the final boss fight was disappointingly easy (Edit: at least it has a final boss, unlike Rage), but I loved everything else leading up to that point (well, best I can recall, anyway -- drinks were involved every step of the way). I'll likely give the game another go myself once I move beyond my 2GB 670s and can run it with the textures and shadows maxed out.

Shadownet

Banned

A++ game so far.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! I know I did! so much better than the overhyped Watch Dogs!

A++ game so far.

then you should try the Riddick games and The Darkness 1 (not on PC, unfortunately) if you haven't already. Made by many of the same people behind the new Wolf and Riddick is especially freaking good.

UncleBiz

Is Divinity a good game? Was never a fan of turn based games...

Too bad there isn't a demo.

Absolutely, I was kind of turned off when I saw that it was turn based combat, but it's so good. the transition from free roam to fights is so smooth, and there's no grid or whatever to limit your movement. i cannot recommend it enough. i'm close to 60 hours in and there's still a LOT i have to do

Strider

I'm glad you're enjoying it! I know I did! so much better than the overhyped Watch Dogs!

Watch dogs fell off a cliff for me. Had a lot of fun my first few hours but then once I got tired of the side stuff and started concentrating more on the main missions... lost all interest. The characters and story were just so boring.

JaseC

Watch dogs fell off a cliff for me. Had a lot of fun my first few hours but then once I got tired of the side stuff and started concentrating more on the main missions... lost all interest. The characters and story were just so boring.

I cast Watch Dogs aside after a few hours as the stuttering was off-putting, but I honestly have no desire to return to it at all. Roll on AssCreed Unity!

It might be obvious, but don't put the "M" in front of the numbers on the ecard in the actual CC number form when you're filling it out. And make sure you're typing in all 16 digits. If it's saying it's not a valid number then it's probably a typo.

I think when I did a copy-paste it must have left a few digits off or something, worked fine when I typed it out.

Now to figure out if I really want to get and play Shovel Knight and Abyss Odyssey...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Last chance for those that missed it

In space, noone can hear you say how fast this thread moves

dkz0s.gif

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rhaknar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Alien: Isolation -- MB-CA7DEA1F15DA00F8 - Taken by Jawmuncher. 154 entrants total.

t1404939525z1.png

giphy.gif

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Picked up Ys on the sale. Never played one.

Enco

Hopefully it comes on the winter sale, because I really want to play it. Got a big backlog though at the moment!
Yea definitely recommend it from what I've played so far.

Yeah, a mate and I played through the campaign on the X1 and finally finished it the other night. I didn't care for the ending and thought the final boss fight was disappointingly easy, but I loved everything else leading up to that point (well, best I can recall, anyway -- drinks were involved every step of the way). I'll likely give the game another go myself once I move beyond my 2GB 670s and can run it with the textures and shadows maxed out.
I messed around with the settings and to be honest they make very little difference. Max shadows and reflections gave me lots of stuttering but turning them down made the game buttery smooth and it looks the same.

As long as most of the game is good, I'm happy. Shame that the ending isn't too great though. All about the journey though etc etc.

then you should try the Riddick games and The Darkness 1 (not on PC, unfortunately) if you haven't already. Made by many of the same people behind the new Wolf and Riddick is especially freaking good.
I have Dark Athena and Escape from Butcher Bay but haven't gotten around to playing them yet. Got The Darkness 2 but haven't played it much. It's pretty fun though.

The thing is Wolfenstein came out of nowhere for me. Wasn't expecting it and only heard about it recently on GAF. A very pleasant surprise.

There are a few things I love in games and this covers many of them (theme/location spoilers):
Prison break ins, insane asylums, undercover operations

FtHTiny

Reposting because its half time!

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FtHTiny, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Ys Origin -- MB-6C5044EA5FF412EF - Taken by InvisibleStride. 40 entrants total.

t1404946964z1.png

I have Dark Athena and Escape from Butcher Bay but haven't gotten around to playing them yet. Got The Darkness 2 but haven't played it much. It's pretty fun though

I consider the first Riddick an unquestionable classic and Dark Athena is pretty good, too. And if you have a thing for prisons
weirdo
then Butcher Bay is right up your alley.

How is the PS3 port of The Darkness?

Competent. It also contains the entirety of To Kill a Mockingbird that you can watch with your ingame GF so it's possibly one of the best games ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom