• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

yGray

Banned
Code:
09 16:19:45	GA Begin Claims: Selected pupo to win game 5C76AA544ACCF565
09 16:19:45	GA: Claim Process: Non-Steam thread: 851713
09 16:19:45	GA: Claim Process: Reading posters from thread 851713
09 16:19:47	GA: Claim Process: Poster doesn't meet no-lurker requirements: pupo
09 16:19:47	GA Begin Claims: Selected velociraptor to win game 5C76AA544ACCF565
09 16:19:47	GA: Claim Process: Poster doesn't meet no-lurker requirements: velociraptor

Strange. Not really sure what happened there. You obviously do meet the lurker requirements. So does Popo. Why does it think it's a non-Steam thread?

I entered too so eh

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
#*&^%#$&*^ I can't count how many times I "roll" too my death in Dark Souls 2...

Winning this game will be teh death of me!

wilflare

Friends,

I have had a good run lately. I recently got a big promotion at work, and next week will be the anniversary of the day I married the most amazing woman I have ever met, so to celebrate I wanted to giveaway another copy of Divinity OS. Game looks incredible, but unfortunately I just don't have the time to play this sort of thing right now so I hope it finds a good home! Good luck to you all!

:D amazing one!

and congrats on the promotion and the coming anniversary! what's the plan!

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Code:
09 16:19:45	GA Begin Claims: Selected pupo to win game 5C76AA544ACCF565
09 16:19:45	GA: Claim Process: Non-Steam thread: 851713
09 16:19:45	GA: Claim Process: Reading posters from thread 851713
09 16:19:47	GA: Claim Process: Poster doesn't meet no-lurker requirements: pupo
09 16:19:47	GA Begin Claims: Selected velociraptor to win game 5C76AA544ACCF565
09 16:19:47	GA: Claim Process: Poster doesn't meet no-lurker requirements: velociraptor

Strange. Not really sure what happened there. You obviously do meet the lurker requirements. So does Popo. Why does it think it's a non-Steam thread?

I have no idea, sorry

Dingotech

I've entered that many Divinity and Witcher 3 giveaways that I'm thinking I should probably cave and purchase them.

It will take cheap copies being available from Dunder or the next sale to do it though. I don't really feel like dealing with traders that I've never dealt with before.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Do i need to beat the story mode in metal gear rising to play the DLC missions?

I ask because I don't want to. (Beat the game twice already) but I never played the DLC.

Normally you have to beat story mode to get it to unlock, or you could enter the Konami code (Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A) at the title screen to unlock them.

I'm about to play Mass Effect for the first time ever!! Anything I should know?

Your Shepard will be your Shepard. Customise her or him however you want and don't look up what others do your first time.

Personally I also believe it to be a stronger game when it's not a pure avatar of yourself (you playing as you, doing exactly what you would do in these situations). Instead figure out the background that sounds the most interesting to you and direct your Shepard as though he or she would most likely act if a real person with that background.

If you play as yourself or choose dialogue and options as though you are directing a character, don't be afraid to pick the Renegade option if it makes more sense for your character from time to time even if you will mostly play good (Paragon) or bad (Renegade)

It's a RPG, talk to everyone, sometimes multiple times.

Sniper Rifle is only really good if you go all into it.

Customise your Shepard!

Friends,

I have had a good run lately. I recently got a big promotion at work, and next week will be the anniversary of the day I married the most amazing woman I have ever met

Good to hear and thanks for sharing some joy with the giveaway.

Friends,

I have had a good run lately. I recently got a big promotion at work, and next week will be the anniversary of the day I married the most amazing woman I have ever met, so to celebrate I wanted to giveaway another copy of Divinity OS. Game looks incredible, but unfortunately I just don't have the time to play this sort of thing right now so I hope it finds a good home! Good luck to you all!

Whoa, thanks a ton for making this!

I need to get back to that, I'm eight hours in.

jsrv

Looks like GMG is stocking DS2 DLC now.. Current coupon still 20% off though. How often do they do their 25% off thing?

Your Shepard will be your Shepard. Customise her or him however you want and don't look up what others do your first time.

Personally I also believe it to be a stronger game when it's not a pure avatar of yourself (you playing as you, doing exactly what you would do in these situations). Instead figure out the background that sounds the most interesting to you and direct your Shepard as though he or she would most likely act if a real person with that background.

If you play as yourself or choose dialogue and options as though you are directing a character, don't be afraid to pick the Renegade option if it makes more sense for your character from time to time even if you will mostly play good (Paragon) or bad (Renegade)

Customise your Shepard!

If I had the capacity to put in effort. I'd love to try and create other fictional characters in ME and try to make the decisions they would. Like, a Stannis Baratheon Shepard playthrough. Shame I'm a a lazy shite, that and ME's character creation isn't the best IMO.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I have no idea, sorry

So what I think happened is this:
- You used the THREADURL rule, which is not necessary for the Steam thread. Now you know! No harm, no foul.
- In combination with the NOLURKERS rule, the THREADURL rule makes it so that it only reads the posts from this thread, not from the last two threads, which is also why your giveaways don't have the nice images and why the NOLURKERS text is different that normal.

- Despite this, the people selected to have won should have won. Why didn't they? There was a bug introduced into the postcount reading for non-Steam threads. The bug was introduced a few days ago and triggered when ModBot processed a Steam thread giveaway (postcounts should be cached) followed by a non-Steam thread giveaway (postcounts should not be cached) in the same heartbeat. I believe I have fixed the bug.

yGray, velociraptor, etc: Feel free to enter again.

Deitus

Of course!

Can you still collect waifus as femShep?

Not all of them. Tali cannot be waifu'd as Femshep, and I don't think Ashley can either (though I wouldn't know because
she died in my game
). Liara will get with either Shepard though, and there are a few minor female NPCs in ME2 and 3 that can be romanced as FemShep.

KenOD

Stock Shepard 4 life.

I knew someone who looked like stock Shepard, who lived his life to try and be the most middle of the road inoffensive and unremarkable soldier he could be. I was promoted and got to order a battleship to fire it's cannons, he cleaned the loo for his four years of duty.

Not that there is anything exactly wrong with using the that middle of the road, inoffensive, generic action star whose unique experiences and look and name will be shared by 70% of the people who played the game rather than truly being your Shepard. Yes, nothing wrong at all.

I knew someone who looked like stock Shepard, who lived his life to try and be the most middle of the road inoffensive and unremarkable soldier he could be. I was promoted and got to order a battleship to fire it's cannons, he cleaned the loo for his four years of duty.
Mark Vanderloo am cry.

Uzzy

Play Fem Engineer Shep
Liara will be your waifu throughout the series
Spend your time doing everything, learn to love the Mako
Forget that the next two games ever existed. Especially ME3.

KenOD

Mark Vanderloo am cry.

After today's World Cup game I don't blame him.

Forget that the next two games ever existed.

That's what I'm doing now, even though I did enjoy playing through the later two games at the time. I just pretend that
Sovereign is the last of his species and went senile, so even if he had succeeded, nothing would come through
for the end of the first game.

Mono

1 waifu and 1 husbando, IIRC.

Just Liara and Kaidan.

I will try my hardest to hook up with both of them!

Customise your Shepard!

Thanks! I always try to not play as myself in DA:O, and it's a lot of fun!

Is there no huge penalty to sometimes choosing good options and sometimes choosing the bad option? Or does the game encourage you to do that?

This is why I never finish RPGs like this; I spend too much time talking to everyone, and it's great!

We are all your family Marco.

Now stop wearing the Pirate Hat with the Panda Suit in Tomodachi Life.
b5ig96H.gif

Lay off with the orders, boss-man.

Mono

Play Fem Engineer Shep
Liara will be your waifu throughout the series
Spend your time doing everything, learn to love the Mako
Forget that the next two games ever existed. Especially ME3.

I've heard that ME3's ending ruins the game, but what's wrong with ME2?

Card Boy

Banned
Splinter Cell: Blacklist is fucken legit. Wow! I have being doing the missions all stealth so far and there are so many ways you can tackle a situation. It's my favorite SC so far, even the dude that voices Adam Jensen is in this game! The only strikes against the game so far is no Michael Ironside and no split jump but the game kicks ass in every other department.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just saw on the news a shooting in houston with at least 5 dead?

Are you ok Texas SteamGAF? :(

KenOD

Is there no huge penalty to sometimes choosing good options and sometimes choosing the bad option? Or does the game encourage you to do that?

I wouldn't say it penalises you as much as they developed the game so it rewards you more for being heavily Paragon or heavily Renegade, accomplishing some tasks easier or quicker or getting out of fights or getting more money, etc.

Story wise though, you might miss out on a few things because of it (and it can affect later things if you play Mass Effect 2 and 3), but nothing too bad I would say you honestly lose out or get less than the main content. Plus, you can always replay the games to try a different style with a different Shepard.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
So what I think happened is this:
- You used the THREADURL rule, which is not necessary for the Steam thread. Now you know! No harm, no foul.
- In combination with the NOLURKERS rule, the THREADURL rule makes it so that it only reads the posts from this thread, not from the last two threads, which is also why your giveaways don't have the nice images and why the NOLURKERS text is different that normal.

- Despite this, the people selected to have won should have won. Why didn't they? There was a bug introduced into the postcount reading for non-Steam threads. The bug was introduced a few days ago and triggered when ModBot processed a Steam thread giveaway (postcounts should be cached) followed by a non-Steam thread giveaway (postcounts should not be cached) in the same heartbeat. I believe I have fixed the bug.

yGray, velociraptor, etc: Feel free to enter again.

oh ... the more you know ... and now I know ... thanks, man!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom