• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avinexus

Never played a CS game before, just installed CS:GO and getting flamed in first game.

xVyoSl.jpg

No tutorial mode sucks :(

There is a tutorial as well as bot only games you can play.

Damn, died in Sunless Sea. I had a love waiting back in London for me :/

Started a new game and had a crew member get devoured by spiders at a picnic, lol.

Speevy

Banned
I wish I could figure out what the hell is wrong with my computer/TV settings.

I can get most games to run at 1080p, but there are at least a dozen or so that enlarge the screen area and bury it in the corner. I usually either have to set it to 720p or go back to windowed to get everything centered on my screen.

It's weird because the desktop displays fine, it's not a setting on my TV I can change.

It's just clicking some games makes it go from 1080p with the whole screen in frame to 1080p with the screen shoved into the bottom corner.

That's an example of it happening in a game. This is what I see. When I switch to 720p, it's fine.

Is it possible that my TV just doesn't process the resolution of some games right? I'm hoping there's a fix for this.

Helmholtz

I hope the + signs in Ys 1 & 2 Chronicles+ didn't mess this up, but here ya go! (If it messed up when winners are picked I'll fix it asap!) I'll bump it every six hours or so depending on my schedule.
Wow, great giveaways. Hoping to win either oath or origins because they sound like something I'd be in to.

Ozium

nuke it quick! and giveaway. i swear it's bad rats

I sent him a PM telling him I already own it... he's the one that should nuke it right? I don't want to steal his giveaway count.

edit: if you want a hint look at my games list.. it's one of those :D

I hope the + signs in Ys 1 & 2 Chronicles+ didn't mess this up, but here ya go! (If it messed up when winners are picked I'll fix it asap!) I'll bump it every six hours or so depending on my schedule.

Hell of a give away! Of course, that massive giveaway of 80 games by X05 is going to knock out a lot of interested applicants (including myself!) ah, such a gamble. :)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hell of a give away! Of course, that massive giveaway of 80 games by X05 is going to knock out a lot of interested applicants (including myself!) ah, such a gamble. :)

yeah thats why im never using that rule again, too many bundle spares going around

mr2xxx

Banned
I was thinking of upgrading my router for better steam streaming but not sure if my laptop will take advantage since it's still on the G standard. It should work though because it runs fine for a few minutes but then network slowdown kills gameplay. I guess I can also get a external wireless card but not sure if I want to invest the money in a new router and card.

Speevy

Banned
yeah thats why im never using that rule again, too many bundle spares going around

I've never been able to win more than one in a day, so I assume I'm throttled for already winning. I think this is fair, but I definitely notice it when I see unclaimed stuff.

Doesn't the Arkham Origins Devs learn? started playing Cold Cold Heart yesterday, and there's another game breaking glitch :| At least there is a workaround.

Opps, I entered for FEZ thinking it was FTL! Sorry other entrant, I'll PM the giver to nuke it.

And giveaways are throttled now? aww...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I've never been able to win more than one in a day, so I assume I'm throttled for already winning. I think this is fair, but I definitely notice it when I see unclaimed stuff.

i dont think claiming a bundle spare (which many times I beg people to do just so I dont forget I have it lol) should prevent you from trying to win a bigger raffle (where you probably have little chance of winning anyway with the amount of entries)

Opps, I entered for FEZ thinking it was FTL! Sorry other entrant, I'll PM the giver to nuke it.

unless something changed, the throttle is 15minutes

Only if you're trying to take multiples within a certain amount of time. I believe it goes from 15 minutes per, to an hour, to a day in extreme cases.

Altazor

Doesn't the Arkham Origins Devs learn? started playing Cold Cold Heart yesterday, and there's another game breaking glitch :| At least there is a workaround.

you have a Devin Townsend avatar. B:AO devs should listen to you.

And more people should listen to Devin's music. He's awesome.

I was thinking of upgrading my router for better steam streaming but not sure if my laptop will take advantage since it's still on the G standard. It should work though because it runs fine for a few minutes but then network slowdown kills gameplay. I guess I can also get a external wireless card but not sure if I want to invest the money in a new router and card.

This thread might help if you end up deciding to buy a new router: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=841898

Ventara

How long can you not win anything again after winning? I got Mata Hari 3 hours ago, but I didn't even show up as an entrant for some of the games I entered. Some showed as 1 entrant when I know I entered.

Edit: It's 15 minutes? So did modbot just make a mistake with the number of entrants?

Rhaknar

urge to build new rig rising, but i want to wait for the 800 series, and whatever is coming after the i7

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm pretty glad last broken age update confirmed grim remaster pc version

i wonder what they'll do, if just high res support or like new models or whatever

you have a Devin Townsend avatar. B:AO devs should listen to you.

And more people should listen to Devin's music. He's awesome.
Not to go off topic, but i agree with you. It makes me really sad he's not famous. Such an amazing artist. Deserves waaaay more recognition.

How long can you not win anything again after winning? I got Mata Hari 3 hours ago, but I didn't even show up as an entrant for some of the games I entered. Some showed as 1 entrant when I know I entered.

Edit: It's 15 minutes? So did modbot just make a mistake with the number of entrants?
It increases from 15 minutes based on the number of wins within the last 7 days

I'm sure since it is late this will get lost in the thread, but here it is anyway...

Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Spoiler Free Ending Impressions From the Bunny Avatar You Love

ValiantHeartsAnnounce-610.jpg

Tonight I finished Valiant Hearts: The Great War, and I recently saw a few "How is it?" questions from my fellow SteamGAFfer and thought I would give my own impressions.

wisegamers-valiant-hearts-4.jpg

The Great War
August 1, 1914, after the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of the Austro-Hungarian Empire the German Empire declares war on Russia. Because of established alliances, France is preparing for conflict. And this is where our story begins...

Gameplay
Valiant Hearts is a story driven puzzle game taking place during the first World War. You will control a handful of characters whose lives, through different means, have been tied to the conflict between Germany and France. Being a story driven title, I won't go into too many details on who you control and specifics to the story. Instead I will talk about basic mechanics and gameplay.

Although this game takes place in WWI, this is purely a puzzle solving game with a few action oriented distractions along the way. Most of the characters you control has a unique skill enabling them to solve puzzles that would be impossible with the other characters and helps mix things up a little bit. Most of the puzzles are not difficult and I would expect a person experienced in similar titles will rarely, if ever, get stuck on any of them. I know several puzzles I encountered were pretty much solved in my head before I even explored the mechanics of the area I was in. There is a hint mode enabled for those who get stuck and need a hand, but this can be turned off in the options menu by selecting the "Veteran Mode" (I personally did my playthrough in this mode). Even with the lower difficulty the puzzles were interesting enough and presented in a way where I kept wanting to play.

In some areas, to distract from the constant puzzle solving, there are instances of more action oriented gameplay. One of these involved dodging objects to classical music. These weren't my favorite sections and I think it would have been easy enough to omit them (one specific one in particular), but these aren't long enough or overly difficult enough to hinder a playthrough in my opinion. The other distraction is a rhythm game almost like Guitar Hero or Rock Band where you press a button when a scrolling icon reaches a certain point. Some of these sections are a little long in my opinion, and I think the developer could have thought of something else to fill these particular sections.

One thing that I wasn't expecting in this title was as you play you are prompted when information about WWI is available to read. For example, you might be playing a stage and a notification appears in the top right hand corner. You hit a button and you're reading something about the area the game is in, or the battle, or another piece of history. Another interesting addition in each area are hidden collectibles that when found offer a fact about the object during this time period. Definitely a nice feature for history buffs and those who want to learn more about WWI in general.

The reason I kept coming back to play Valiant Hearts in my free time was the interesting story and unique art style. Without these two elements, I don't personally feel the puzzles would have been enough to make this one of the best games I have played so far this year. Again, I won't go into details of the story to avoid spoilers for those who want to play, but it is a story of many twists and turns. This coupled with the graphic style puts into question the ability of video games to be considered art. Perhaps a discussion for another day, but I think Valiant Hearts is a step in that direction.

Overall Impressions
As you might have gathered, I really enjoyed Valiant Hearts. I have played a lot of "artistic" games that are said to be more emotional than the typical game, but to me this ranks near the top. The unique art style compliments the puzzle solving gameplay nicely, and the way the story is presented both between and within chapters kept me coming back to see the next area. The additional history lessons unlocked as you play were interesting and gave nice pieces of background to the areas you were in and what was happening in the world during this time. I would definitely recommend this title for anyone looking for a puzzle solving game or anyone looking to play something with a unique style to it.

haogWH031VofP7QGY9zec94v91iV8CA_ken-kde0CnI_Kaq83s6gNxTBCdy_UNvuNlmWJZGIiuj5kelMFsHEgUTIYwE=w426-h240-n

Lastly, a confession...
This was the first video game ever to make me cry.

EDIT: Wanted to add that for those in the US, if you are ever in the Kansas City area you should visit the World War I museum. It is very interesting and definitely worth your time, in my opinion. https://theworldwar.org/

i dont think claiming a bundle spare (which many times I beg people to do just so I dont forget I have it lol) should prevent you from trying to win a bigger raffle (where you probably have little chance of winning anyway with the amount of entries)
One one hand, I wanna give as many people a chance as possible. But on the other, if you exclude the ones who have already won something in the last day, the people that can enter are getting better chances. I'm kinda conflicted that way.

There have been many many times where a NOWINNERSDAILY giveaway pops up minutes after I claimed bundle fodder though too. So I know how it goes being left out of those. :/

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Not to go off topic, but i agree with you. It makes me really sad he's not famous. Such an amazing artist. Deserves waaaay more recognition.

I have been trying to introduce people to his stuff for years and I love seeing when it clicks with them. I blew my voice out doing a bunch of voices and singing for the Universal Choir for Z2 and I didn't even care, I stay hevy for the devy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom