• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

DasFool

Do you need to own the game to join the official group? I wonder if people will try to boost the numbers with new accounts.

No, anyone can join, making this goal quite achievable.

I didn't even realize they were doing this and it's making me want to go play Payday again. Even after all the bullshit weapon packs ($5 for 3 guns, in a game with 70+ guns), this has somewhat reversed my opinion on Overkill.

Hopefully, they'll keep doing the DLC this way instead of overcharging for a plethora of DLC that's mostly meaningless.

You're totally right about the linearity of Asylum. It's only a Metroid game in that it keeps the exploration limited, and things are inaccessible until you get a certain gadget. Some of the Metroid games have felt fairly linear at times too, though, and I don't necessarily think it's a detriment to those games or to Asylum. I'm only halfway through City so I still have a few more hours left ahead of me and things could certain take a turn for the better. It's not a bad game by any stretch; I've just found that the biggest addition to City (the "open" world) is just fine. Nothing extraordinary.

The big difference between AA and Super Metroid or Metroid Prime is how guided the experience is. At most, SM and MP give periodic hints on where to go, but not how to get there. Even when Metroid games are at their most linear, like with Metroid Fusion, the impetus of advancing through the game is on the player.

I'd say the more open map is one of City's least notable additions. The series' bread and butter are combat and stealth/predator gameplay, both of which saw a lot of improvements. The quickfire functions of gadgets adds much to the combat which, when looking back, was incredibly basic in AA. It's hard to believe how much the combat amazed me back when the AA demo was released. It's still good, but just outclassed by AC's. Same with the stealth. All the gadgets have some practical application during those segments. It's more feasible to mix combat and stealth in AC than in AA too; Being able to drop a smoke bomb, then run in and knock out multiple goons, then vanish before the smoke dissipates is both fun and a perfectly Batman-like thing to do. having quickfire functions for gadgets beyond the batarangs helps with that too; I can quickly knock out a guy, freeze a another when he comes around a corner, pull another over a ledge or disarm him with the batclaw, all without having to cycle through or select gadgets on a menu. Whoever managed to map all that to a game pad deserves particular recognition.

I always pimp out this video by BatmanArkhamVideos, but it helps get my point across about how additions like the ice grenade and smoke bomb go far in improving the experience. the rest of that guy's videos do a good job showcasing how good AC is.

So what do you guys think the the overall best powers to invest in for Dishonored? I got points in Animal Control and the vitality and health Regen so far, as well as Rat Swarm.
Whether you're going stealth or kill-frenzy, the agility is always helpful, same with time stop.

Hugstable

Banned
Depends on if you want to go full stealth or kill everyone in sight.

Blink is super useful. As is the power that disintegrates any enemies you kill.

What if I plan to kill everyone in sight while doing the sneaky deaky? Thanks for the info though from both you and Munch, gonna invest up in some blink the next few runes I find.

Toki767

Question for anyone who has or is familiar with both the PS3 and PS4 controllers.

Is the Dpad improved or is it similar to the PS3's? I'm going through Volgarr and a few other games and I'm starting to dislike the PS3 dpad.

It's like a mix between the PS3 and Vita d-pad if you're familiar with it.

Everything about the DS4 is superior to the DS3.

What if I plan to kill everyone in sight while doing the sneaky deaky?

Then you'll definitely want the powers Bend Time and Shadow Kill.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Question for anyone who has or is familiar with both the PS3 and PS4 controllers.

Is the Dpad improved or is it similar to the PS3's? I'm going through Volgarr and a few other games and I'm starting to dislike the PS3 dpad.

I find them more or less the same

It certainly hasn't improved a lot

derExperte

The DS3's dpad is considered to be very good and I agree. DS4's feels a little different but isn't noticeably better or worse imo, looks the same too so if you dislike its form....

Everything about the DS4 is superior to the DS3.

Dat terrible battery life. Also disintegrating analog pads and other durability issues. Everything else is indeed better.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

It's alot better. Had no issues going through Shovel Knight with it.

Can someone tell me which street fighter 4 version is the newest one? There is Super Street, Super Arcade edition and ultra edition?

Ultra edition is the newest but that's not available on PC until Aug 8. AE edition is the most current one on sale. If you own AE you can upgrade to Ultra for $15. Buying Ultra alone is $30

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Two hours in with Gods Will Be Watching:

There's been some kind of misunderstanding I feel, and it lies completely with the developers. For a game sold on choice, you get very little of it. This is not a game about freedom to approach a situation how you please as one may expect. It's a resource management game about finding the golden path forged by developer logic which we chastise old adventure games for.

The first scenario is a hostage mission in which the player is forced to shoulder the weight of every role at once. You have to manage the security to hack the computers and steal the data, calm or disturb the hostages so they don't get complacent or too scared, hold off the incoming anti-terrorism unit, manage health with limited supplies and so on. There are a lot of different ways to approach each situation but there seems to be a random chance that something won't go your way. And if you mess up, you have to restart the entire scenario. There's no dealing with your fuck ups.

The computer can be counter-hacked with even 75% security running, which costs you an action plus another action to correct. Each action either calms or upsets the hostages, and trying to counter-balance that ends up costing you an action. I'm fine with not being able to keep everyone alive without a bit of work but there's almost too much working against the player. That's on normal difficulty.

On easy difficulty we see how the developers don't have much understanding of balance. It's either "Get fucked in the face, Payday 2-on-Death-Wish style" on normal or "okay you baby, here comes the choo-choo train of storyspoon" on easy. It feels like they could have just met somewhere in the middle and avoided some of the frustrations on players while not practically insulting them for not wanting to deal with your sadism.

On that note, what's the point in sadistic and brutal violence if they happen so often and you're forced to repeat the scenarios so frequently that seeing a hostage's head get blown off loses pretty much all meaning? I don't feel conflicted when a life is lost, I just want to sigh and throw my hands up. Perhaps that's what the developer wanted but it makes for an utterly awful game.

It's not that I don't like difficulty either, I dug Dark Souls' jib, I rock Call of Pripyat with Misery Mod, Teleglitch was my personal number one last year. There's just a difference between difficulty and bad game design and this team doesn't seem to know the difference.

Toki767

Dat terrible battery life. Also disintegrating analog pads and other durability issues. Everything else is indeed better.

I'll concede the battery life complaint (not that the DS3 battery life was that much better when compared to like the 360 or Xbox One controller) but the durability issues definitely seem to be a YMMV thing.

Jawmuncher

As a show of good faith, do your own modbot giveaway.

Garbage Giveaway Invoming

There's been some kind of misunderstanding I feel, and it lies completely with the developers. For a game sold on choice, you get very little of it. This is not a game about freedom to approach a situation how you please as one may expect. It's a resource management game about finding the golden path forged by developer logic which we chastise old adventure games for.

The first scenario is a hostage mission in which the player is forced to shoulder the weight of every role at once. You have to manage the security to hack the computers and steal the data, calm or disturb the hostages so they don't get complacent or too scared, hold off the incoming anti-terrorism unit, manage health with limited supplies and so on. There are a lot of different ways to approach each situation but there seems to be a random chance that something won't go your way. And if you mess up, you have to restart the entire scenario. There's no dealing with your fuck ups.

The computer can be counter-hacked with even 75% security running, which costs you an action plus another action to correct. Each action either calms or upsets the hostages, and trying to counter-balance that ends up costing you an action. I'm fine with not being able to keep everyone alive without a bit of work but there's almost too much working against the player. That's on normal difficulty.

On easy difficulty we see how the developers don't have much understanding of balance. It's either "Get fucked in the face, Payday 2-on-Death-Wish style" on normal or "okay you baby, here comes the choo-choo train of storyspoon" on easy. It feels like they could have just met somewhere in the middle and avoided some of the frustrations on players while not practically insulting them for not wanting to deal with your sadism.

On that note, what's the point in sadistic and brutal violence if they happen so often and you're forced to repeat the scenarios so frequently that seeing a hostage's head get blown off loses pretty much all meaning? I don't feel conflicted when a life is lost, I just want to sigh and throw my hands up. Perhaps that's what the developer wanted but it makes for an utterly awful game.

It's not that I don't like difficulty either, I dug Dark Souls' jib, I rock Call of Pripyat with Misery Mod, Teleglitch was my personal number one last year. There's just a difference between difficulty and bad game design and this team doesn't seem to know the difference.

Thanks for the impressions.
Really sounding like the game is nothing like what people were hyping it up as.
Definitely sounds like something I wouldn't enjoy at all.

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't know the other games, but Finding Teddy is a very neat little Point & Click adventure! Most of the puzzles are music based (similar to those in Loom I guess), and really well made.

zkylon warning: there are spiders.

Has already been bundled a lot though, so most of you probably already own it.

love how there's a zkylon disclaimer now <3

derExperte

I'll concede the battery life complaint (not that the DS3 battery life was that much better when compared to like the 360 or Xbox One controller) but the durability issues definitely seem to be a YMMV thing.

The thread about the issues is still very active. Ohmy, they're now replacing the sticks with X1 ones?

I just got my controller back. It's a brand new one and there are some differences. The rubber on the sticks is different, similar to the feel of the DS3's. The directional pad and face buttons seem to be more matte. The body of the controller is also more of a flat black and less glossy now.

Ah, Sony finally reacted with a new revision it seems.

Please report back after a few weeks. I received one of these different texture analog stick controllers in February as a replacement to a rapidly wearing launch ds4. No tearing on mine, but mild use has really worn down the texture of the sticks. Will be interested to see if your experience is any different.

welp

Sure, some don't have any problems but the longer people are using the DS4 the more complain, they're not random defects, it's bad design/quality.

Teeth

So what do you guys think the the overall best powers to invest in for Dishonored? I got points in Animal Control and the vitality and health Regen so far, as well as Rat Swarm.

If you're like me and love exploring every nook and cranny of the levels I would highly recommend getting the run fast and high jump abilities right after you get the far blink abilities. I also went low chaos and super sneaky, so they helped out there too.

I find that doing high chaos is best for a second run through, as you can blow through the game in, like, 5 hours that way. Others disagree though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oh man, so Gods Will Be Watching isn't that good? I mean, I'm sure they're good, but I was hoping for day-1-good. So disappointing, especially after Halfway and Unrest turned out to be nothing special.

Btw, guys, am I on the giveaway block list? Please don't block me *puppy eyes*.
I still need to win Divinity j/k. But seriously, I want that game.

so you hear 1 random comment saying they arent good and ignore the ones saying they are good?

"The first scenario is a hostage mission in which the player is forced to shoulder the weight of every role at once. You have to manage the security to hack the computers and steal the data, calm or disturb the hostages so they don't get complacent or too scared, hold off the incoming anti-terrorism unit, manage health with limited supplies and so on. There are a lot of different ways to approach each situation but there seems to be a random chance that something won't go your way. And if you mess up, you have to restart the entire scenario. There's no dealing with your fuck ups."

im sorry, what? In the quicklook they fuck up A LOT and they still pass it. in fact, in the end it has a telltale style ranking system of "how many hostages each player killed" "how many players got into an argument" etc

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Finally watched this, and it looks really great, sounds like it's got a ton of choices and options. I'm getting nostalgic for Baldur's Gate now.

...On easy difficulty we see how the developers don't have much understanding of balance. It's either "Get fucked in the face, Payday 2-on-Death-Wish style" on normal or "okay you baby, here comes the choo-choo train of storyspoon" on easy.

...It's not that I don't like difficulty either, I dug Dark Souls' jib, I rock Call of Pripyat with Misery Mod, Teleglitch was my personal number one last year. There's just a difference between difficulty and bad game design and this team doesn't seem to know the difference.

I'm not sure if I want the choo-choo train or the get fucked in the face option now.

It's also disappointing to hear that the difficulty and design seems mismanaged by the devs. Still can't wait to play it when I get the opportunity to later tonight.

So I picked up CSD during the summer sale on SteamGAF's recommendation and what a mistake. Because that game is awesome and is destroying my backlog. I just got the one star restaurant, which I thought would ease my desire to play, but nope. It is easily one of the most addictive games I have played.

I always try to post impressions of games I've won, even if they're old, or point-and-click games that nobody here would ever buy. I often wonder if people read them because a couple of days later I'll see someone asking about a game I posted an impression of, and I'm thinking, "Should I just repost it...?"
IMO repost it...thread moves too fast.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
so you hear 1 random comment saying they arent good and ignore the ones saying they are good?

"The first scenario is a hostage mission in which the player is forced to shoulder the weight of every role at once. You have to manage the security to hack the computers and steal the data, calm or disturb the hostages so they don't get complacent or too scared, hold off the incoming anti-terrorism unit, manage health with limited supplies and so on. There are a lot of different ways to approach each situation but there seems to be a random chance that something won't go your way. And if you mess up, you have to restart the entire scenario. There's no dealing with your fuck ups."

im sorry, what? In the quicklook they fuck up A LOT and they still pass it. in fact, in the end it has a telltale style ranking system of "how many hostages each player killed" "how many players got into an argument" etc

Were they playing on normal or easy? On normal there's almost zero room for error. I don't feel like sitting and watching how they pulled it off.

Kifimbo

I always try to post impressions of games I've won, even if they're old, or point-and-click games that nobody here would ever buy. I often wonder if people read them because a couple of days later I'll see someone asking about a game I posted an impression of, and I'm thinking, "Should I just repost it...?"

You should, or you can simply post the link to your impressions.

Double

Really? It looks so strange. I have no connection to the comics so I dunno.
Ya. I feel Avengers is a little over-hyped though, so most people may probably still rate Avengers higher after watching. Guardians too really is a fine mix out of action and humour. Kind of the closest we can hope for to a new Firefly/Serenity!

Man I really sick at adventure games. I am playing through Blackwell legacy and get stuck all the time. I am terrible at making con extols between all the clues the game gives you. Plus point and click adventure games always felt like the hints are clues are sometimes out of left field.
You still stuck? I played through it in the last week (with the help of a little cat in here, heh) and can help you out. Some of the puzzles are a bit off really.

The first mission of Gods Will Be Watching is completely fair and watching the animations of the hostages makes it pretty easy to manage in multiple ways. Had a blast with having to manage so many different things at once. The second mission on the other hand has a bit near the end which is luck based and subsequently rather frustrating if you get unlucky. Still, rather intense and it fits the tone. Main problem with the second mission is its very, very long with lots and dialogue and while the length makes it rather nailbiting it also makes it very frustrating when you fail for the 5th time while figuring out how far you can push yourself.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, thanks to everyone who gave impressions on the PS4 DPad. I'm going to pick one up. The improved L2/R2 buttons should also help in shooters.

Toki767

But for reals, I'll give back with my own giveaway. I'm poor, so it won't be anything expensive like Divinity or Dark Souls, though. More like good cheap game from the weekly sale.

Quality of games is always nice, no matter the price. There are just as many crappy $60 titles as there are good $5 ones.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Were they playing on normal or easy? On normal there's almost zero room for error. I don't feel like sitting and watching how they pulled it off.

normal. only 1 hostage survives, its quite funny. they do say its really hard, especially with all the hostages alive, it gets easier the fewer the hostages.
and you still get captured in the end anyway, its part of the story

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
hey guys ... here are some leftovers from today's giveaway ... grab 'em if you want

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 14 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (lashman, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Hitman: Codename 47 #3 -- MB-49B760F5647A9C82 - Taken by Boom Boom Pow
Hitman: Codename 47 #2 -- MB-04B11916706BDADF - Taken by Leg-End
Thief Gold #4 -- MB-ED8A75186E4485CF - Taken by Ruruja
Anachronox -- MB-4B17CCCE776D33CB - Taken by ShogunX
Thief Gold #2 -- MB-8513C1938B0AEA80 - Taken by Fuzzification
Thief Gold #3 -- MB-7CD3AD730E9EA349 - Taken by Loptous
Hitman: Codename 47 -- MB-BFDE16738A540AAD - Taken by Fuzzification
Out of the Park Baseball 14 #2 -- MB-FA9BD3CB87D07D4D - Taken by Dambrosi
Out of the Park Baseball 14 #3 -- MB-A12B1D2E9009A37B - Taken by lfvgt
Out of the Park Baseball 14 #4 -- MB-8A1BAC1BC707253D - Taken by saunderez
Hitman: Codename 47 #4 -- MB-2D048C009A2200A2 - Taken by Berto
Thief Gold -- MB-9DEF09682FEB4B98 - Taken by InfiniteNine
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin #2 -- MB-C79194B59A6EAA1E - Taken by nightstorm
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin -- MB-16F7D565BBF5935A - Taken by -MD-

Dr Dogg

You know you have bit the Steam bug bad when you got to grab Dark Souls II's Season Pass from Nuuvem, still see their sale is going, and out of wild impulse or some stupid fear that you also pick up Dark and Aliens CM. Granted I like shitty games as more of a scholarly activity but this is scraping the bottom of the barrel even for me :(

I've been keeping away from talk of Gods will Be Watching mainly due to it sounded like an interesting premise and was generating a fair bit of interest in here and the Indie thread. Though from your and a few other peoples impressions it seems like it might be something to keep an eye on than dive in now.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
play it. it's good.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (alr1ght, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

FEZ -- MB-0EB4DE2C869E24EA - Taken by Leynos

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
God this optional boss in Dark Souls 2 DLC is frustrating as shit. Even with a solid team it's fucking hard. I managed to help one person finish it once. Why couldn't it have been on my save :(

Rhaknar

How many games do you need to qualify for megagivers? I thought it was 25.

25 in the last 3 months

sneaking these in because ocd

Legends of Persia -- MB-7CDACDF4E15039A2 - Taken by Mass_Pincup. 6 entrants total.
Rush for Glory -- MB-9AB58A2CBAC2A99D - Taken by ModBot - Taken by Kiru

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
You know you have bit the Steam bug bad when you got to grab Dark Souls II's Season Pass from Nuuvem, still see their sale is going, and out of wild impulse or some stupid fear that you also pick up Dark and Aliens CM. Granted I like shitty games as more of a scholarly activity but this is scraping the bottom of the barrel even for me :(

Dark is all right as a $10 title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom