• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amzin

Jumping on the backlog talk, I bought about ~10 games during the summer sale, and I've played through 3 of them already, but I also played 2 older ones because they were more interesting to me at the time. It is nice being able to start a game that you want to start. I still have plenty of games in my backlog, but I get to them when the mood is right for X genre or whatever.

Nzyme32

Gears of War 4's PC-exclusive features detailed

Disregarding how a crap the store, UWP, and trivial feature set are that aren't something that really needs such celebration - how about making games that aren't so abysmally tired continuations of a franchise doing nothing remotely interesting. I watched the footage of Gears 4 and it is so utterly monotonous to me. I feel the same for the majority of Microsoft titles. They lack originality or anything engaging in general

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Disregarding how a crap the store, UWP, and trivial feature set are that aren't something that really needs such celebration - how about making games that aren't so abysmally tired continuations of a franchise doing nothing remotely interesting. I watched the footage of Gears 4 and it is so utterly monotonous to me. I feel the same for the majority of Microsoft titles. They lack originality or anything engaging in general

I mean, they used to make original games. But they seem to no longer be willing to produce loss-leading interesting software to support their hardware. Now they're a hit-focused publisher, which means they've doubled down on their core: Halo, Gears, Forza. They used to have other franchises on that list but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's a real pity, Microsoft Game Studios at its peak was producing really good output, but there's never been a time where it hasn't been burdened as some form of sacrificial lamb for MS's broader agenda--whether that's "gimp PC to push GFWL and prop up the Xbox 360", or now "ah fuck it we're not going to sell any Xboxes anyway, let's make the Windows 10 store work".

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
UWP is so gross. I understand indies making WinStore versions of their games as every sale counts, but I have zero respect for any mildly successful publisher treading in those footsteps.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
stay safe veggie / experte / yakku

im going back to wow, fuck the real world

Why is the steam controller the official pairing for the Steam Link if it's so goddamn bad at turning it on? I hate literally everything about this pad.

My Wii U pad via mayflash adapter works a million times better and actually turns the system on when I press power.

Nabs

Why is the steam controller the official pairing for the Steam Link if it's so goddamn bad at turning it on? I hate literally everything about this pad.

My Wii U pad via mayflash adapter works a million times better and actually turns the system on when I press power.

I've never had an issue with the Link turning on by turning on my SC. Have you tried entering the Steam Link Beta? The most recent update tells the Link to wake up when you press the Steam Button or Xbox Guide Button.

Lomax

stay safe veggie / experte / yakku

im going back to wow, fuck the real world

Real world is overrated. My house is empty, dealing with all the associated bs to finish the move is driving me insane. Suddenlink is making me long for Comcast and that's just depressing.

Maybe I should pick it up on PS4. Although I'm sure my 670 would do 60fps considering the dated graphics.

You won't get 60fps on a 670 unless you turn the settings way down, and even then I'm not sure. It's a fairly demanding game. I would also not characterize the graphics as 'dated' at all. It looks absolutely stunning at max settings but I'd say one would need a 980ti or better to play with those.

It's also not a game I can recommend until it gets a steep discount.

In other non Steam news, Arenanet is doing one of their infrequent sales on Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns. It's currently 50% off on the site (historical low afaik) and it's just in time for living season 3 that starts up on the 26th. I doubt there are many (or any) active GW2 players here who don't already know about the discount, but maybe some lapsed players might be interested.

I've never had an issue with the Link turning on by turning on my SC. Have you tried entering the Steam Link Beta? The most recent update tells the Link to wake up when you press the Steam Button or Xbox Guide Button.
I'm on the latest stable firmware. I may do that anyway and just drop the Steam controller.

I don't like it and I've tried playing with it but it isn't happening.

M.D

I have played 146 of Civ 5 over a number of years and still haven't won a single game lol

The problem I have with this game is I play it nonstop for a short period of time, learning new things from watching YouTube videos, but then I get sick of it and leave my save.
I just loaded my last save from February and while I know what I was doing, I managed to forget a bunch of things and have lost my motivation for that particular session, even tho it's probably the best I've ever done.

I actually a bunch of issues with this game, but I think it's probably my fault more than that of the game

Nut up and take the rest of this bundle trash. No one is doing a big giveaway today you are safe.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 23 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (uncredited male, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.

Curvatron -- MB-D21EE0D2610DEF75 - Taken by Ventara
xheRJRF.gif
Rush Bros. -- MB-62CC5DA0B6CE3777
Seven Kingdoms 2 HD -- MB-3436D1A6D72DA2F9 - Taken by hardcastlemccormick - Taken by Ludens
xheRJRF.gif
POSTAL -- MB-C79BDA7A537A6310
Onikira Demon Killer -- MB-369B16F35CB738FF - Taken by texhnolyze
ShipLord #2 -- MB-209E0282D3D39FC6
BlackShadows -- MB-A151C61C2E1A775D
Betrayer -- MB-AA8583FBDC8ADA0F - Taken by ThirtyFour
Nihilumbra #2 -- MB-6FE2F3BBB6A750A7 - Taken by KenOD
Proto Raider -- MB-F0898CA4FB0BCA7D - Taken by ExoSoul
Nihilumbra -- MB-F21FFACCF290EEF2 - Taken by Dusk Golem
Onikira Demon Killer #3 -- MB-44F88A7F7F666276 - Taken by drakaenae
Onikira Demon Killer #2 -- MB-C5B9DB044B948634 - Taken by Costa1774
Cosmic Rocket Defender -- MB-47257A4871DB7CC0 - Taken by dot
Solar Shifter EX #2 -- MB-A893751F9823228F - Taken by ExoSoul
Naninights #2 -- MB-C80E2570FFF3F8C1
ShipLord -- MB-13C875D5E8310923
BlackShadows #2 -- MB-334BA819215533FE
Asteroid Bounty Hunter -- MB-FF0910E912D781EF - Taken by septicore
Asteroid Bounty Hunter #2 -- MB-1741394351AFE812 - Taken by voodooray
Solar Shifter EX -- MB-399A6EB1BD1457BC - Taken by drakaenae
DungeonUp -- MB-E38E2D1FCDA22429 - Taken by darkchewie
Naninights -- MB-B0312AF8DBE54F41

Ozium

I have played 146 of Civ 5 over a number of years and still haven't won a single game lol

The problem I have with this game is I play it nonstop for a short period of time, learning new things from watching YouTube videos, but then I get sick of it and leave my save.
I just loaded my last save from February and while I know what I was doing, I managed to forget a bunch of things and have lost my motivation for that particular session, even tho it's probably the best I've ever done.

I actually a bunch of issues with this game, but I think it's probably my fault more than that of the game

don't stop

grab some doritos, some dew, a piss bottle and play through the night into morning and beyond.

be sure to get up and walk around periodically so you don't die of a blood clot or something

I also have that problem, but automating workers and beginning with a small map and a limit amount of civilizations solved that.
It's not 'hardcore' to automate workers and they do stupid shit sometimes, but it helps with the tempo of the game.

I have the same issue e.g., just one more turn...

I get bored around the time you find yourself with leftover workers, and you don't see any tile to improve.

mp1990

Banned
Do Nuuvem keys work outside Brazil? I've been thinking about doing a raffle but I don't want to waste my money on nothing.

Tellaerin

I've been absorbed in Lightning Returns this past week and a half or thereabouts. Think I'm entering the endgame now. I'm on day 11 of 13, and I've completed almost everything (though I did manage to fail one timed quest
(Poor Louise... :s }
.) I've driven pretty much every species to extinction, except for those Meonektons and that Aeronite thing, which I may just skip, since I'm making zero headway fighting it.

I'll probably type up some more impressions once I'm done, but for now I'll say it's been a good ride. I've enjoyed all three of these games a lot more than I thought I would based on some of the comments I've read.

Alright, here we go with your impressions for Technobabylon:

The story: It's the late 21st century in a cyberpunk city called Newton, somewhere in equatorial East Africa, which somehow within 70 years of today's date became about as ethnically (and sexually) diverse as Toronto, the only difference being almost all the voice actors have American accents, and the one born in Texas somehow managed to drop his. The whole town is managed by a complicated AI known as "Central," which seems to overstep most civic-management software and is starting to develop opinions about how things should be run despite what city council wants. Anyway, you play three main characters: Latha, an unemployed addict to Trance, which is basically a future internet-analogue; Charlie, an aging Luddite detective who doesn't like such newfangled gadgetry as neural wiring and ubiquitous cameras; and Max, his younger tech-savvy partner. Latha's objective: at first, survive and figure out who tried to kill me, then get swept up in a bunch of cyber-intrigue. Charlie and Max, meanwhile, try to catch a serial killer known as the "Mindjacker," who is killing people by flash-wiping their memories through their neural wiring. Whew!

The story is great. The setting is great. It's not too hokey. It's well-balanced: it's not too gritty, not too dystopian, but you still probably wouldn't want to live there. It even has slight dialogue changes based on certain actions, and two different endings, neither of which is super-happy-ending satisfying and both of which apparently set up a sequel, but which give the main characters some closure to their arcs, so...good enough.

The gameplay: Standard point-and-click fare. The puzzles are mostly good and aren't all terribly challenging, but be prepared to reload a lot if you want all the achievements, because there are several that give you one for "do this without dying" or "get this correct on the first/second try." The computer interface splitting puzzles are kinda weird and require a bit of lateral thinking, if only because the dialogue messes up a bit at points. You can give someone the "personality" of the maid and the "role" of the chef, then you ask who they are, they'll say they're the maid, but if you ask "what do you do," they finally say they're the chef. It makes it more confusing than it should be. But it's a pretty small issue.

And the pong-style minigame is utter bullshit. You can cheat in the game to bypass it, but you don't get the achievement for it, so...yeah.

The graphics: A good mix of neon and dark, as good cyberpunk should be, with varied virtual environments for Trance. However, I'm looking at it through the scope of "graphics for AGS Engine games," and I do understand that people are starting to get tired of the retro look. Not that I don't mind it, and they did a great job with the tools they had, but it still makes one wonder how it would have turned out if they'd tried a newer engine.

The dialogue and voice acting: Spot on. The voice acting is great. Abe Goldfarb as the synth salesman ("oh my, yes!") chews up every scene he's in and it's glorious. There are some dialogue choices that are nothing more than "choose your character's motivation," and don't really affect the game per se, just various dialogues, like it was Telltale, only with actual gameplay.

The audio and music: Very ambient stuff. I liked the use of Beethoven at the fancy dinner party to show everyone's old-school tastes even though they're eating some very...futuristic meals, but contrasting to the futuristic/electronic vibe of the rest of the tracks. I probably would notice all this stuff a lot less had I not turned the commentary track on for the first playthrough (for the achievement, naturally.)

The length: Took me 11.5 hours, but that includes going back and doing puzzles different ways for the achievements. So if you're not going for all the achievements, it'll be closer to 10 hours, still a respectable length for a point-and-click.

The verdict: If you like adventure games, this is a must have. If you don't, I actually still kinda can't say "don't get it" - I'd still recommend it even for non-adventure fans, because it's not that tough, and it's worth it for the story, even if you use a walkthrough. So yeah....get it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The sooner you stop thinking of it as a backlog and accept it as a collection of games you own you can freely pull up and play at any time when you feel like it, the better off you'll be.

You don't have to play everything, and if conscious of your purchasing decisions of games you don't actually want to play, then just learn from that. You don't need to buy more games, but also I don't think you should stop buying games that interest you because you haven't 'tackled your backlog.'

My issue has simply been spending money on titles I haven't particularly cared about a bit after. I felt more like I was getting overwhelmed with titles I wanted to play and I'm a bit happier not waiting on them.

Alright, here we go with your impressions for Technobabylon:

The story: It's the late 21st century in a cyberpunk city called Newton, somewhere in equatorial East Africa, which somehow within 70 years of today's date became about as ethnically (and sexually) diverse as Toronto, the only difference being almost all the voice actors have American accents, and the one born in Texas somehow managed to drop his. The whole town is managed by a complicated AI known as "Central," which seems to overstep most civic-management software and is starting to develop opinions about how things should be run despite what city council wants. Anyway, you play three main characters: Latha, an unemployed addict to Trance, which is basically a future internet-analogue; Charlie, an aging Luddite detective who doesn't like such newfangled gadgetry as neural wiring and ubiquitous cameras; and Max, his younger tech-savvy partner. Latha's objective: at first, survive and figure out who tried to kill me, then get swept up in a bunch of cyber-intrigue. Charlie and Max, meanwhile, try to catch a serial killer known as the "Mindjacker," who is killing people by flash-wiping their memories through their neural wiring. Whew!

The story is great. The setting is great. It's not too hokey. It's well-balanced: it's not too gritty, not too dystopian, but you still probably wouldn't want to live there. It even has slight dialogue changes based on certain actions, and two different endings, neither of which is super-happy-ending satisfying and both of which apparently set up a sequel, but which give the main characters some closure to their arcs, so...good enough.

The gameplay: Standard point-and-click fare. The puzzles are mostly good and aren't all terribly challenging, but be prepared to reload a lot if you want all the achievements, because there are several that give you one for "do this without dying" or "get this correct on the first/second try." The computer interface splitting puzzles are kinda weird and require a bit of lateral thinking, if only because the dialogue messes up a bit at points. You can give someone the "personality" of the maid and the "role" of the chef, then you ask who they are, they'll say they're the maid, but if you ask "what do you do," they finally say they're the chef. It makes it more confusing than it should be. But it's a pretty small issue.

And the pong-style minigame is utter bullshit. You can cheat in the game to bypass it, but you don't get the achievement for it, so...yeah.

The graphics: A good mix of neon and dark, as good cyberpunk should be, with varied virtual environments for Trance. However, I'm looking at it through the scope of "graphics for AGS Engine games," and I do understand that people are starting to get tired of the retro look. Not that I don't mind it, and they did a great job with the tools they had, but it still makes one wonder how it would have turned out if they'd tried a newer engine.

The dialogue and voice acting: Spot on. The voice acting is great. Abe Goldfarb as the synth salesman ("oh my, yes!") chews up every scene he's in and it's glorious. There are some dialogue choices that are nothing more than "choose your character's motivation," and don't really affect the game per se, just various dialogues, like it was Telltale, only with actual gameplay.

The audio and music: Very ambient stuff. I liked the use of Beethoven at the fancy dinner party to show everyone's old-school tastes even though they're eating some very...futuristic meals, but contrastic to the futuristic/electronic vibe of the rest of the tracks. I probably would notice all this stuff a lot less had I not turned the commentary track on for the first playthrough (for the achievement, naturally.)

The length: Took me 11.5 hours, but that includes going back and doing puzzles different ways for the achievements. So if you're not going for all the achievements, it'll be closer to 10 hours, still a respectable length for a point-and-click.

The verdict: If you like adventure games, this is a must have. If you don't, I actually still kinda can't say "don't get it" - I'd still recommend it even for non-adventure fans, because it's not that tough, and it's worth it for the story, even if you use a walkthrough. So yeah....get it.

Excellent write-up, someguyinahat. Technobabylon is now confirmed as the Overlooked Gem of 2015.

It really is an incredible game. Even in a year with Life is Strange and Tales From the Borderland, it's standing right there beside them as one of my favourites. Oh my, yes. I only wish that I played it earlier.

Ascheroth

I've been absorbed in Lightning Returns this past week and a half or thereabouts. Think I'm entering the endgame now. I'm on day 11 of 13, and I've completed almost everything (though I did manage to fail one timed quest
(Poor Louise... :s }
.) I've driven pretty much every species to extinction, except for those Meonektons and that Aeronite thing, which I may just skip, since I'm making zero headway fighting it.

I'll probably type up some more impressions once I'm done, but for now I'll say it's been a good ride. I've enjoyed all three of these games a lot more than I thought I would based on some of the comments I've read.

Yep, I also had fun with them.
They have some obvious shortcomings and each of them had something different I didn't like, but on a whole I enjoyed them.
I was kinda sad with the direction the story went in the second game as I really liked the world and concepts of the first one, but 2 and 3 had the better gameplay instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom