• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asgaro

SONIC MANIA DAY ONE

JpvFyUU.gif

OK, what good modern sonic games are out there?

Yes, this newest one is closer to the classic fun and fast gameplay, but you got to be kidding if you don't recognize why it's been comparedto a meme game.

No matter which ones I say, and I could list a good chunk of them, you are just going to disregard them anyway as you made up your mine for not liking the series. If you don't like them just say that and leave it at that.

And I didn't say I didn't understand why people are frustrated but, for people that actually do still enjoy most of the games that come out can you not be a dick about it? That's what I am asking for.

Nzyme32

Never assume a game uses steam cloud.

I just lost all my snake bird progress and I was pretty far (like 40 puzzles beaten).

FUCK

Didn't realise it didn't have Steam Cloud.... poop. I installed it when I built the new PC but didn't actually play it to see if the saves were there. Same thing with GTA V, but now it seems Rockstar have started a Cloud Save beta for the RSC client if you use Steam. Also don't trust Konami. They broke clouds saves for a bunch of people, me included, that hadn't played in a while and had files that I assume were older, so when you attempt to play the game it loads but you are stuck in that scene and trying to leave will put you in a never ending black screen.

In total that is 3hrs + 52hrs + 96hrs down the drain

Grief.exe

Never assume a game uses steam cloud.

I just lost all my snake bird progress and I was pretty far (like 40 puzzles beaten).

Whenever I reinstall I indiscriminately back up important saves via Game Save Manager.

Dark Souls 3 is going to get a lot of people.

Just as a PSA, you can go into properties > updates in an individual game and see if Steam Cloud has files for your game. Some games actually have Steam Cloud setup, but don't seem to actually save any data. I believe Dark Souls 1 used to be like that, where it had Steam Cloud functionality, but it wasn't activated.

4rGySXM.png

jonno394

Hey guys, likely a stuupid question but I added RE:Revelations 2 - Episode 1 to my steam account some time back from a Humble Bundle, never played it, but recently bought the disc version of teh complete "box set" and tried to add it to my steam library but got an error message saying the title is already associated with my account, is this going to cause me any problems?

Xater

Funny enough int he QA part is the question if that amount of money isn't a little high. I don#t think it's high, especially for a German team. It looks like they already have some stuff done, which is why the release isn't that far away.

Yeah, I saw it. Looks good, but forgot to vote for it. Will probably back it too. Good to see Sterling look at the brighter side of GreenLight. Still a great amount of good looking / sounding titles showing up on there amongst the panoply of filth

Sterling doing the Good Stuff videos is one of my favorite things right now. Green Light has been such a joke and him going through it actually exposing promising stuff is great. So far everything he made a video of I at least thought looked interesting.

I might actually back Fox 'n Forrests...

Whenever I reinstall I indiscriminately back up important saves via Game Save Manager.

Dark Souls 3 is going to get a lot of people.

Just as a PSA, you can go into properties > updates in an individual game and see if Steam Cloud has files for your game. Some games actually have Steam Cloud setup, but don't seem to actually save any data. I believe Dark Souls 1 used to be like that, where it had Steam Cloud functionality, but it wasn't activated.

https://i.imgur.com/4rGySXM.png
Oh thanks for that info. Last week I finally started uninstalling games I was kind of finished with but still might want to play, I only looked on the store page to see if there was Steam Cloud though :/

dex3108

ibn Saïd;211080882 said:
it looks very sharpened, is it a mod?

Yes i am using ENB mod t add reflections and remove gold filter.

I finished Deus Ex HR today. It is really good game but it has few flaws in my opinion. Atmosphere, music and visual style are great and yo really get immersed in that world. But story has few issues (main one is that in first hour or two you more-less know whole story and rest of the game you are just filling holes). And gameplay sometimes can really limit players.

All in all great experience. Also even though i never used lethal weapons outside boss fights and i just avoided 90% of enemies somehow i managed to kill somebody and there it goes Pacifist achievement. And because game doesn't have any stat page i don't know when i did that. Oh well i know that i didn't kill anybody and i don't need achievement to prove that to me :D

Yes i am using ENB mod t add reflections and remove gold filter.

I finished Deus Ex HR today. It is really good game but it has few flaws in my opinion. Atmosphere, music and visual style are great and yo really get immersed in that world. But story has few issues (main one is that in first hour or two you more-less know whole story and rest of the game you are just filling holes). And gameplay sometimes can really limit players.

All in all great experience. Also even though i never used lethal weapons outside boss fights and i just avoided 90% of enemies somehow i managed to kill somebody and there it goes Pacifist achievement. And because game doesn't have any stat page i don't know when i did that. Oh well i know that i didn't kill anybody and i don't need achievement to prove that to me :D

Yeah you can easily lock yourself out of the pacifist achievement if you are not careful. Stuff like knocking someone out near a hazard or hacking the wrong turret could net you a kill. Are you sure that no one died due to one of your dialogue choices? Because that will count towards your kill counter.

jonno394

Hey guys, likely a stuupid question but I added RE:Revelations 2 - Episode 1 to my steam account some time back from a Humble Bundle, never played it, but recently bought the disc version of teh complete "box set" and tried to add it to my steam library but got an error message saying the title is already associated with my account, is this going to cause me any problems?

I'm quoting myself as I just installed from disc and I only have access to Episode 1 and everything else prompts me to buy from the store. Any advice?

dex3108

Yeah you can easily lock yourself out of the pacifist achievement if you are not careful. Stuff like knocking someone out near a hazard or hacking the wrong turret could net you a kill. Are you sure that no one died due to one of your dialogue choices? Because that will count towards your kill counter.

I don't think so. Only one that maybe is cause is one of the sniper enemies during saving Malik mission (one could fall down from second story) or those poor people during last boss fight when floor electricity activates.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm quoting myself as I just installed from disc and I only have access to Episode 1 and everything else prompts me to buy from the store. Any advice?

You might try to remove the game from your account using this link:

https://help.steampowered.com/#HelpWithGame/?appid=287290

Then try again to activate the code from your disk. If that doesn't work, you'll need to contact Steam support to have them remove Episode 1 from your account so you can activate the full code from your physical copy.

jonno394

You might try to remove the game from your account using this link:

https://help.steampowered.com/#HelpWithGame/?appid=287290

Then try again to activate the code from your disk. If that doesn't work, you'll need to contact Steam support to have them remove Episode 1 from your account so you can activate the full code from your physical copy.

Yup, tried and didnt work. Even though I "removed" it, teh same message came up :/ time to try Customer support. TY

I have a feeling it's a long campaign, so after 3 hours, here are my impressions for XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

THE FOLLOWING IMPRESSIONS ARE RATED "H" FOR HONEST.

First impressions: Hey, it's that guy! Familiar voice acting can kinda throw you out of immersion. Just like as soon as I heard Dr. Shen, I realized it was Dr. Marvin Candle from Lost, and is he going to ask me to build Station 3, or The Swan? Anyway.

The story: Aliens have invaded Earth for some reason! And to nobody's surprise, most of them look like "the grays" (or, if you will, the Asgard from the Stargate television series.) A world council has created your team as "the first...and last...line of defense." So...we're the only line of defense, got it. And because the entire world would rather save money than save the world, the only line of defense is given a small facility with five engineers, five scientists, and like one soldier per country. You'd almost assume the world council was already compromised and WANTED you to fail! (Again, I don't know the story, is that a spoiler?) As with all games, as you progress, you see different aliens such as "looks like G-man from Half-Life" and "being made almost of pure energy, but good thing guns can still hurt it." And you upgrade your equipment and facilities with the money you can cobble together, and fight more and tougher aliens. And so it goes I assume until you take them all out for good.

So far, the story is sci-fi action movie fare. Got no problems with it per se, but I'm not at the point where plot holes emerge.

The gameplay: Having played Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall, I'm actually already used to the gameplay, more or less. Everyone gets essentially two action points. You can run and run, run and gun, or gun and none. (Maybe they're unlocks later, but for the moment I cannot "gun and run" or "gun and gun.") Additional actions include overwatch mode, where a cyborg cowboy shows up you can wait for an enemy to show up, then you can react by missing terribly, or you can enter defense mode. You can also change your loadouts and equip various things, which can make for really tough decisions. Do I take a frag grenade, a medkit, a scope? The biggest piss-off here was that I unlocked a nanofiber vest that confers 2 health. My regular body armour gives 1 health. I cannot, however, wear JUST the vest (which I assume would give me more mobility than body armour as an added bonus) and replace the armour - nope, the vest has to be in the same slot as the grenade, and only worn in addition to the armour. WHY?

Anyway, it's a pretty tight strategy game. The tutorial basically forces you to kill off three of your guys, so I assume it's telling you "prepare to die...unless you're savescumming in which case do that." The aliens generally have better range than you, and probably better accuracy or else the RNG is playing tricks.

The dialogue and audio: The head co-ordinator is doing a passable Adrian Pasdar impression, the lead scientist is yet another non-German with a bad German accent (seriously, guys, with as many video games that require Germans, can you not find ONE actual German voice actor?) the lead engineer does his best with his limited dialogue, and Every. Single. Soldier. Is a bro. "It's go time!" "Out of the game!" My heavy gunner has yet to say "Welcome to Erf," but the game is young. I'm surprised "armour with pop-up collar" isn't an upgrade. They all come from various countries, but they all sound American. (Oh hi, Technobabylon!) I do like how they receive random nicknames as they level up, so I now have a "Nuke," (not a bad nickname I guess,) a "Septic" (classy...) a "Walker" (Texas Ranger?) and a "Santa" (because he wears a digital wristwatch that only has a big number 3 on it.)

The graphics: Hold up pretty well. The main gameplay is zoomed out reasonably far so you don't have to nitpick at any bad close-up textures. Every time you encounter an alien on the map you get a mini-cutscene that's thankfully short so it's not too annoying. Every so often they change the camera angle on your soldier, so you can an over-the-shoulder running scene, or an action scene of their firing at the enemy (which almost always hits when they change the camera angle.) I guess that's what they take to mean "cinematic," but you know what? It works. It worked in the post-2 Fallout games and it works here.

The length: Not sure. The tutorial took me about 2 hours to get through, so if I was to hazard a guess, 30-40 hours?

The verdict: So far, it's more fun than I thought it was gonna be. But again, that's cause I like Shadowrun and I was able to slip into this game like a glove. I can't say yes or no to "should you buy/play it," but right now it's enjoyable.

Tizoc

Just finished the Deadpool game.

Honestly? The worst game I have ever played.

Pool nation is very good

Eh I liked the DP game, it's not for everyone I know but it's combat system is a little nice to mess with. Like you can do jump cancels for example/

Have you played like 15 games total? I found the gameplay inoffensive at worst and the tone was consistent with what I wanted and expected from a game about Deadpool.

I wouldnt say its the worst game ever, but I also found it pretty bad. It felt like one of those early licenced PS2 games, just that it was released at the end of the PS3/360 generation.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Have you played like 15 games total? I found the gameplay inoffensive at worst and the tone was consistent with what I wanted and expected from a game about Deadpool.

No, but I'll obviously have a differing opinion to others. Won't I?

The story was shit, the humour wasn't funny and the gameplay was bad. For a game in which I'd be fighting every 5 minutes, I at least wanted the fighting system to be fun.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, The Witcher 1: Should I cheat engine the EXP gain to get better skills or what/ I'm level 10 in Act 2 and these stupid Salamander group people are kicking my ass as I don't have the human sword right now and Agni won't burn them continuously.

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to musical-game-click the combat. :/

Xanathus

So, The Witcher 1: Should I cheat engine the EXP gain to get better skills or what/ I'm level 10 in Act 2 and these stupid Salamander group people are kicking my ass as I don't have the human sword right now and Agni won't burn them continuously.

Yeah if you're not enjoying the combat then feel free to cheat away, you should enjoy the Witcher series for the story and quests.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Try shifting to group stance more frequently while in the swamps. Act 2 serves as a weird speed-bump in pacing and difficulty, causing a lot of players to drop it before they make it to Act 3. Which is unfortunate, since the plot actually starts moving at the very end of Act 2.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Haven't played it, but have seen extended gameplay of it. If that's the worst game you've ever played, then I'd say you're doing pretty darn well.

I don't go out of my way to play shit games

It was cheap and I read comics, so I thought why not

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
SpecOps: The Line has one of the best stories I've played in a long time. The gameplay is very generic though.

Nonetheless a great game.

Ghazi

SpecOps: The Line has one of the best stories I've played in a long time. The gameplay is very generic though.

Nonetheless a great game.

I have it, but I haven't played it since I had a majority of the story spoiled for me years ago. Seems like there isn't a point in playing it when you know the plot twists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom