• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

I'm not enjoying Rise of the TR all that much, the beginning was pretty cool, but not feeling it after that especially with the ugly factory place.

Parsnip

go big or go stay at home
tried it with NBA16. didn't work. downloading 44GB now. :\ no biggie.

ALSO, I just started DB Xenoverse. anyone also just get it and wanna co-op some of those parallel missions (I think that's what they were called) this weekend?

For future reference, you need to move the appmanifest_###.acf files as well. Not just the game folders.
And then maybe restart steam.
When done that way, Steam will just see that the games are installed in the other location already.

kmZdBe8.png
It's out in less than two weeks and I don't watch Let's Play style videos either way.

Prepared to be blown away.

how about I decide how I want to watch or not watch videos or information about this videogame, which is just a videogame and the more they sell it as a otherwordly experience that will change my life the less I want to play it.

sounds good? yeah sounds good

That's some reaction an advice posted to the public.

fantomena

Just got an email. My 1080 Strix OC and my 32 GB RAM will arrive wednesday next week. Woooooo!

Going from a GTX 690 will be a helluva leap.

fertygo

yeah i'm kind of really loving darkest dungeon so far

game's really addictive in that xcom kind of way, you're always upgrading something and discovering something and getting a little bit better at it and the game's got real tension to it but also a slow sense of mastery that means that if you're careful you're (generally) gonna get everyone out ok

i also enjoy that the game kind of lets you take risks at your own pace which means (so far) i don't really feel like that xcom sense of racing against the game because the enemies. similarly being able to just say fuck it and leave mid mission takes out some of the tension which i suppose makes the game not hardcore enough for some people but for me it's really enjoyable as it is

i also don't know why ppl got so mad over heart attacks and corpses. corpses i feel add an interesting layer of strategy to the game since working around them is just a matter of being smart. heart attacks have so far been mostly a non factor, i've had one guy die of one but eh, not a big deal

darkest dungeon is awesome
High five, I need to get back to this game, kinda want to reroll the game because my party management already kinda fucked up I'm not comfy enough to go to high level mission but no low level b-team to grind either

beside that game's crack

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just got an email. My 1080 Strix OC and my 32 GB RAM will arrive wednesday next week. Woooooo!

Going from a GTX 690 will be a helluva leap.

The instability issues I've been experiencing are making it hard for me to enjoy my PC upgrade -- I can't play The Witcher 3 for more than 10-15 minutes without a sudden crash or restart. I thought I'd narrowed down the issue to the PSU (after running memtest overnight with zero errors, I noticed that the PCI-E power cable wasn't actually plugged into one of the designated PCI-E sockets and correcting this made things much worse), but I bought a new one today and while initial results were promising, it wasn't long before the game started regularly acting up again.

In hindsight I wish I'd just stuck with my 2600K for another year.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
The instability issues I've been experiencing are making it hard for me to enjoy my PC upgrade -- I can't play The Witcher 3 for more than 10-15 minutes without a sudden crash or restart. I thought I'd narrowed down the issue to the PSU (after running memtest overnight with zero errors, I noticed that the PCI-E power cable wasn't actually plugged into one of the designated PCI-E sockets and correcting this made things much worse), but I bought a new one today and while initial results were promising, it wasn't long before the game started regularly acting up again.

Is it just the Witcher 3? I remember Durante's article about it when it came out mentioning that it seemed unusually sensitive to CPU overclocks.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is it just the Witcher 3? I remember Durante's article about it when it came out mentioning that it seemed unusually sensitive to CPU overclocks.

I'll be looking into that tomorrow. I still have Just Cause 3 installed, so I'll see if I can successfully muck around in that for at least half an hour or so.

One of my concerns is the data miners that will ruin the fun. Like Binding of Isaac Rebirths many secrets getting mined within days, I just hope games journalists don't put the damn spoilers in their clickbait articles
Oh they will, especially kotaku, and then someone on neogaf will copy and paste their clickbait spoiler title and be like "but breh its not my title" 😉

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I remember a few guys got interested in Clive Barker's Jericho and since the game was delisted from Steam people probably didnt bother to look around for sites with keys. Here I go bringing a few keys since I want to share the game and hope more people enjoy it. As usual I expect to read some impressions and hope the winners enjoy the game.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Vazra, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Clive Barker's Jericho -- MB-B4E11ECF6B0524B4 - Taken by Diedac. 7 entrants total.
Clive Barker's Jericho #2 -- MB-8635E30C1194AE32 - Taken by Iron Badger. 1 entrants total.
Clive Barker's Jericho #3 -- MB-E03B219118AA8CAC - Taken by William Bonney. 3 entrants total.

t1469896403z1.png

rtcn63

One of the reasons why I'm generally hesitant to upgrade my PC hardware unless absolutely necessary. And my PSU is a 430w (though a quality Seasonic), so like, the fear is real.

voodooray

Code for Faeria

ModBot said:
Instructions for voodooray:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Faeria -- MB-CB2F055FECC6E049 - Taken by Ludens. 18 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Faeria was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1469897327z1.png

fantomena

So from your post I gather that it was the GPU PSU that was the problem?

If so, hopefully mine won't have that problem. I ordered it like the 28th may or something and if it has a problem, I have no idea how much long I need to wait for the shop to send me another one.

All Norwegian shops that sells GPUs apparently have big stock-in problems with the OC-version of the Strix from what Ive heard.

Btw, what does MHz actually do with the RAM? My current 12 GB has according to GPU-Z 665, the 32 GB I ordered had 2666 I think. I tried to google, but it's very complicated, most of what I understood is speed.

Werd

Like a month ago I responded to someone commented about their 3 TB seagate breaking and that they had huge failure rates.

Well there goes mine, and I can't even get it to show up in windows or any recovery programs. Obviously knowing they had high failure rates I should have just had everything backed up and did have the most important stuff, but looking at my backups I did leave some relatively meaningful stuff on there. Sigh.

Roarer

yeah i'm kind of really loving darkest dungeon so far

[...]

darkest dungeon is awesome

Hell yes it is. I kind of think the difficulty went through the roof and took a big dump on the player during the endgame, but aside from that it is awesome. Should get back in and see if I can finish it...

fantomena

The 1080 can't even lock 60 fps in Headlander at 4K. Nvidia is such a embarrassment.

Maybe the game is shitty optimized or something?

I personally will only do 1080p with the 1080. Both because I only have a 1080p monitor and because I don't need or care about 4K.

Btw, honest question, what's the difference between using that Nvidia control panel downsampling tool thingy that gives you higher resolution and actually having a monitor with higher resolution?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I personally will only do 1080p with the 1080. Both because I only have a 1080p monitor and because I don't need or care about 4K.

Btw, honest question, what's the difference between using that Nvidia control panel downsampling tool thingy that gives you higher resolution and actually having a monitor with higher resolution?
4K down sampled on a 1080p monitor is basically averaging the colors of 4 pixels into a single one where an actual 4K monitor physically has those 4 pixels and displays each at their own color.

Grief.exe

He was likely being sarcastic.

Then why buy a 1080?

Downsampling renders the game at the given resolution, then downsamples the image to your monitor's resolution. You get some benefits such as cleaner IQ and textures rendered at higher resolutions.

Native 4K/1440p monitors render the game natively at that resolution. So you are pushing more pixels to your eyes and more pixel density.

fantomena

Then why buy a 1080?

Cause the 690 requires SLI in most games and I hate waiting for SLI support and once the game receives SLI supports the scaling is most times terrible. Recent example is Doom, a big game which yet has received SLI support from what I know. So in general I simply hate SLI. It has given me more annoyance than happiness.

Also, it only has 2 GB VRAM and which pretty bad. There's a lot of games that I couldn't run in 1080p or at least smooth in 1080p because of it.

Grief.exe

Cause the 690 requires SLI in most games and I hate waiting for SLI support and once the game receives SLI supports the scaling is most times terrible. Recent example is Doom, a big game which yet has received SLI support from what I know. So in general I simply hate SLI. It has given me more annoyance than happiness.

Also, it only has 2 GB VRAM and which pretty bad. There's a lot of games that I couldn't run in 1080p or at least smooth in 1080p because of it.

Right, but there are other options that would fit your usage scenario significantly better for less money. What you're doing right now basically throws a significant chunk of money down the drain. I would recommend grabbing a 1440p monitor that fits your price range at this point, there's really no reason not to.

If you're not willing to tinker or don't have the knowledge required to use SLI, I don't recommend it. I ran SLI for years, you have to be willing to go out of your way to use it effectively.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Vazra, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Vazra, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Clive Barker's Jericho -- MB-B4E11ECF6B0524B4 - Taken by Diedac. 7 entrants total.
Clive Barker's Jericho #2 -- MB-8635E30C1194AE32 - Taken by Iron Badger. 1 entrants total.
Clive Barker's Jericho #3 -- MB-E03B219118AA8CAC - Taken by William Bonney. 3 entrants total.

t1469896403z1.png

Ozium

ModBot said:
Instructions for Ozium:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ozium, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

t1cxE6r.gif
Darkness 2 -- MB-8DE94D87D2F1BE30 - Taken by Foolia

i bot teh dollar tear

Nordicus

Beat a session of The Witcher Adventure Game

Dandelion's such a leech. First he was firmly in last place, but then he started following me around and making ballads of every major achievement or monster I dealt with, giving him Victory Points. He was pretty soon my biggest threat.

Anteater

aww man I could actually play doom in a non poopy resolution now with a 1060

Right, but there are other options that would fit your usage scenario significantly better for less money. What you're doing right now basically throws a significant chunk of money down the drain. I would recommend grabbing a 1440p monitor that fits your price range at this point, there's really no reason not to.

If you're not willing to tinker or don't have the knowledge required to use SLI, I don't recommend it. I ran SLI for years, you have to be willing to go out of your way to use it effectively.

I'm not him but if I have the money, I'd do it just to future proof as long as possible, sure he's not taking advantage of the extra performance with games he could easily run, but it's easier to buy a stronger card than doing a bunch of research to save some money and then having to buy another budget card again when it doesn't run the next game with good performance.

Knurek

Like a month ago I responded to someone commented about their 3 TB seagate breaking and that they had huge failure rates.

Well there goes mine, and I can't even get it to show up in windows or any recovery programs. Obviously knowing they had high failure rates I should have just had everything backed up and did have the most important stuff, but looking at my backups I did leave some relatively meaningful stuff on there. Sigh.

That was me.
Seagate HDDs. Not even once.
(Of course, knowing my luck, my new WDs will break in a month or so).

Downsampling renders the game at the given resolution, then downsamples the image to your monitor's resolution. You get some benefits such as cleaner IQ and textures rendered at higher resolutions.

Native 4K/1440p monitors render the game natively at that resolution. So you are pushing more pixels to your eyes and more pixel density.

Worth noting that downsampling from 4K on a 1080p monitor (but only from 4K, no dice with 1440p or anything else) gets rid of most of texture shimmering/temporal aliasing.
(At least that's my experience with Tales of Zestiria).

Far Cry 3 with the Hex edit to remove the UI completely is quite immersive. With the mini map on telling you where all the loot, plants, and landmarks are, forget the enemies, it's too easy and distracting from what I intend to do moment to moment. The only things I wish I could have left on are the ammo counter and the on-screen way point. That'd be the best way to play.

Anteater

I remember a few guys got interested in Clive Barker's Jericho and since the game was delisted from Steam people probably didnt bother to look around for sites with keys. Here I go bringing a few keys since I want to share the game and hope more people enjoy it. As usual I expect to read some impressions and hope the winners enjoy the game.

oo I have this game, I think I played the demo from some where and I didn't dislike it, the atmosphere was cool, but I remember it was too short, never actually played it tho

I should play that next

fantomena

aww man I could actually play doom in a non poopy resolution now with a 1060

I'm not him but if I have the money, I'd do it just to future proof as long as possible, sure he's not taking advantage of the extra performance with games he could easily run, but it's easier to buy a stronger card than doing a bunch of research to save some money and then having to buy another budget card again when it doesn't run the next game with good performance.

I wanted the strongest card to be as much further proof as possible. I decided to skip the 900-series, it was actually kinda difficult to wait, the 2 GB VRAM was a big bottleneck.

Also, my original plan was to buy 16 GB RAM, but the 1080 was cheaper than I thought (I thought it was gonna be TITAN priced), so I could actually go with more RAM than originally planned.

I know that the 1080 is currently overkill for 1080p, but one day it won't and I want that day to be as far away as possible.

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Strayed -- MB-175852142A7A31A8 - Taken by septicore

fenners

Code for Faeria

I've got a free invite going spare to the early access version (ahead of its eventual switch to f2p). Faeria's a rock solid deckbuilder with some interesting physical movement mechanics to go along with it. Worth a look if you enjoy hearthstone et al & want to see it taken in a different direction.

Send me a PM with your email address if you're interested. First come, first served ;)

Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but is anyone else having problems signing in to Green Man Gaming? I go to do so and the "Sign In" button in not clickable, and I can't just press enter or tab over to it either.

=/

Nzyme32

Hmm, I think I have the solution to this. In 2007 I was having a similar issue, where after a seemingly set amount of time in demanding games the display driver would crash and get "recovered" by Windows. I changed every component and couldn't work out the issue, until I borrowed someone elses graphics card and found everything was fine. I was convinced it was the mobo, but it wasn't. Turns out it was a fault with the card, most likely to do with the soldering being dodgy.

Key point here is, I did replace the graphics card with an identical one, it was just a coincidence it had the same issue. I would recommend borrowing someone elses card that is entirely different. See what happens, preferably with something of similar power consumption. If that card also fails, I place all bets on PSU - but all of this only applies if the issue is consistent for all demanding games with the same identical issue. Otherwise it's probably just Witcher 3 going to town on an overclock or something

Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but is anyone else having problems signing in to Green Man Gaming? I go to do so and the "Sign In" button in not clickable, and I can't just press enter or tab over to it either.

=/

Just tried. Sign In button works. I just typed my details in the subsequent page and hit enter and it logged in. Not logged into GMG for almost a year, if that makes any difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom