• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingKong

Poly Bridge is great. This is deeply, deeply satisfying

HuPxE6I.jpg

rtcn63

From a thermal perspective, a solid piece of metal would likely be slightly better at transmitting heat, those holes are more for aesthetics.

Didn't know. I was just going off Guru3D's review, where they kept pointing the vents out as a plus. http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-gtx-1070-gaming-x-review,2.html

Also, check out that backside where there is a thick sturdy metal back-plate with plenty of venting spaces applied as well. A proper one as well with lots of ventilation gaps.
Cool dibs is that backplate, with opening at the proper areas (GPU/VRM) for venting. As you can see, I remain skeptical about backplates, they potentially can trap heat and thus warm up the PCB.

Also mentioned in their Gigabyte G1 review. http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1070-g1-gaming-review,2.html

Check out the backside where there is a thick sturdy metal back-plate, unfortunately Gigabyte did not make any ventilation gaps and holes in that back-plate. This design can easily trap heat and work against the product.
The WindForce 3X reached 73 Degrees C with three fans, we do wonder if that number could have been a notch lower if that backplate wasn't closed completely.

Anno

I've fallen down a crazy YouTube hole of watching Rimworld. Can't believe I just ignored this game previously. Guess I'll have to buy it, though I'm not entirely sure it's something I'd be good at playing myself.

Is their mod support for MGSV? Been awhile since I've played the ps4 version. I'd loved their to be a mod that lets you go in missions with no equipment.

Ozium

you can complain about everything else in doom3 but the clickable monitor is the shit tho

bestd1jlu.jpg

but what in the flying fuck is a plasma conduit error replacement

the conduit for plasma is broken and needs to be replaced

it clearly says "plasma conduit error, replace before processing"

so confused by this post

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well my 1080 is shipping today again apparently. I do hope it does since I'd like to finish Dark Souls 3 and get to Mirror's Edge Catalyst and DOOM.

Monooboe

It will do it again and again, and again. It is a masterpiece of a game.

Yeah it really is fantastic. It actually managed to exceed my already high expectations, I'm legit impressed. Only played an hour but if the rest of the game keeps it up then I need to rearrange my GOTY list thus far.

Wok

Yeah it really is fantastic. It actually managed to exceed my already high expectations, I'm legit impressed. Only played an hour but if the rest of the game keeps it up then I need to rearrange my GOTY list thus far.

During a part of the game more focused on puzzle solving, it is less intense but it is only temporary. The flow of the game is very impressive.

Ozium

Does anyone have experience preordering from DLGamer? Civ 6 is on sale there until release... although I'll wait and see if GMG has another 25% voucher or something

KingKong

Have you played Bridge Constructor? Was tempted to pick up Poly Bridge but held off due to only having played a couple hours of BC so far.

This is the first bridge game I've played besides flash games and stuff like that. Also you can generate gifs from replays which is pretty awesome

Just got through Ghostbusters: the Video Game. So even though it's a seven-year-old game, you still get some informal impressions.

It was a fun little romp - got through the "experienced" (normal mode) campaign in about 11 hours - but I wouldn't go so far as to call it "basically Ghostbusters III." There were far too many callbacks to the first movie (and a mere handful to the second one) to satisfy a moviegoer, but it contained enough fanservice to satisfy a video game player, so that worked out well. I'm kinda surprised that a video game written by screenwriters such as Bill Murray and Harold Ramis would work out as well as it did.

The graphics look good, but it suffers from the same problem as the Arkham games and Tomb Raider 2013: you spend most of the game in a colour-filtered PKE/Paragoggles mode (aka detective mode, aka survival instinct mode) that you don't get to fully appreciate them.

The voice acting is top-notch, naturally. Getting all the original voices from the movies, including Annie Potts as Janine and William Atherton as Peck, made this a real treat. Anything less would have made it glaring. (I can overlook using Brian Doyle-Murray as the new voice of the mayor, but only because he's got an amazing voice.)

The gameplay was alright. It's a pretty standard first/third-person shooter of sorts. You encounter various spooks, trap some or outright destroy others using four different weapons, each with an alternate fire mode. There are secret collectibles in each mission, and once you collect them they show up in the firehouse, which is a nice touch. The performance does suffer in places: the loading times can get bad, I noticed some bad screen tearing (and I *NEVER* notice screen tearing, so this should be particularly egregious) and during the last battle the framerate slowed to a crawl after I prevented him from healing.

There are no cards, no Steam achievements and no multiplayer to speak of. I have no idea if you even get bonuses for getting all the collectibles in the game, or ANYTHING that lends itself to a measure of replayability. So if anyone knows the answer to that one, get back to me.

But all in all, it was definitely worth the Steam sale price.

TheTrain

From the latest patch of Anno 2205:

Steam

Achievements for Steam players are now available to show your game progress in your Steam profile, too.

Fuck yeah Ubi! About time, do this for every game at this point. uPlay club and Steam achivement if you buy the game on Steam, seems fair.

Vibranium

Banned

Fuck yeah Ubi! About time, do this for every game at this point. uPlay club and Steam achivement if you buy the game on Steam, seems fair.

Hopefully this happens for South Park The Fractured But Whole as well and then I have zero complaints. About time.

The PC port of Zombi has them and Rocksmith, but nothing handled by Ubi Kiev.

Momentary

Banned
When I first played Fatal Fury: King of Fighters... I never thought that it would ever be a good game. I just remember playing it for the first time as a kid back in 1992 and thinking how shit it was and that it was never going to end up being a good series.

garou1.jpg

Man was I wrong.

Terry Bogard is the OG face of KoF. Forget Kyo.

neonglow

header.jpg

I just finished the Story Mode for Party Hard. The gameplay is enjoyable though the voice acting was amateurishly bad. The game was difficult at first but once I beat the first level, the game finally clicked. It still took a bunch of tries to beat each level but I pretty much knew how to go about it.

One thing you should do before each kill is to hold the left trigger on the controller for a visual cue to see if any characters are aware of your presence. If no one is aware of you, you can get away with it. I wish they just made that visual cue a toggle. You rely on it a lot in the later levels when there's not many secluded areas.

I saw other people were having trouble with the Miami level. Make sure you call the telephone on the bottom right. It'll bring up a zombie hoard that will infect all the party goers making the level much easier. There's no penalty killing zombies in front of others. Also, carry passed out character onto the street below to get them run over.

didamangi

Which one did you get. Still can't decide between Palit or MSI. Palit seems to run more quiet (3 slot card after all) but the cooler is kinda ugly and Palit offers 1 year less warranty. MSI is still quiet compared to the other brands and in some reviews they also seem close or on par in terms of noise. But MSI is also a bit more expensive...
decisions... :(

I bought the Palit 1070 one, since it's the cheapest in my country (it's still $480 though) A whopping $150 difference between Palit and Asus, MSI, Gigabyte 1070s here. 3 slot card, the quietest and coolest card on load I've own, max temp is ~72C, can't hear it on load unless you put your ear next to the card. RGB led that can be turn off, backplate, dual bios. Other than the price, no complaints here.

Anteater

the conduit for plasma is broken and needs to be replaced

it clearly says "plasma conduit error, replace before processing"

so confused by this post

I'm still looking for the conduit, whatever that is

but i'm on the right track

edit: oh, actually I'm looking for the plasma inducer, but i know i'm near

abracadaver

Awesome! Ubisoft games having no Steam achievements is why I don't play them. Will Far Cry 3 & 4 get achievements too?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Just got through Ghostbusters: the Video Game. So even though it's a seven-year-old game, you still get some informal impressions.

It was a fun little romp - got through the "experienced" (normal mode) campaign in about 11 hours - but I wouldn't go so far as to call it "basically Ghostbusters III." There were far too many callbacks to the first movie (and a mere handful to the second one) to satisfy a moviegoer, but it contained enough fanservice to satisfy a video game player, so that worked out well. I'm kinda surprised that a video game written by screenwriters such as Bill Murray and Harold Ramis would work out as well as it did.

The graphics look good, but it suffers from the same problem as the Arkham games and Tomb Raider 2013: you spend most of the game in a colour-filtered PKE/Paragoggles mode (aka detective mode, aka survival instinct mode) that you don't get to fully appreciate them.

The voice acting is top-notch, naturally. Getting all the original voices from the movies, including Annie Potts as Janine and William Atherton as Peck, made this a real treat. Anything less would have made it glaring. (I can overlook using Brian Doyle-Murray as the new voice of the mayor, but only because he's got an amazing voice.)

The gameplay was alright. It's a pretty standard first/third-person shooter of sorts. You encounter various spooks, trap some or outright destroy others using four different weapons, each with an alternate fire mode. There are secret collectibles in each mission, and once you collect them they show up in the firehouse, which is a nice touch. The performance does suffer in places: the loading times can get bad, I noticed some bad screen tearing (and I *NEVER* notice screen tearing, so this should be particularly egregious) and during the last battle the framerate slowed to a crawl after I prevented him from healing.

There are no cards, no Steam achievements and no multiplayer to speak of. I have no idea if you even get bonuses for getting all the collectibles in the game, or ANYTHING that lends itself to a measure of replayability. So if anyone knows the answer to that one, get back to me.

But all in all, it was definitely worth the Steam sale price.

Happy you sort of liked it. They use to have a multiplayer option to speak of, but it got shut down a while back. It was like a horde mode. Outside of that, there is no reason to go back unless you want to play it for the story again.

ExoSoul

Banned
It's good to have a zen puzzle game after you team-mate can't hit a still ball, has no sense of positioning and mistakes your passes for shots and then proceeds to spend the entirety of the match calling you a scrub amongst others things (aka the moba experience)

Whether you're in that situation or not I recommend you try out Zenge, it's very cheap and has been bundled twice.
The levels get progressively harder at a nice pace and it's just good, has good imagery too and the bgm is perfect to get you in that calm, mellow state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom